Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***2023 Weight Loss Thread***

24,736 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by aggiegolfer03
JYDog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got up as high as 204. I would like to be 160. My cholesterol is 250, LDL is 177 and my doctor wanted to put me on statins. (the whole statin drug thing is a separate discussion). Anyway I decided a few days before Christmas that I was going to do something about it so I have a friend at work that lost quite a bit of weight doing Noom. I chose to give that a try.

My wife said she didn't know why I was paying for anything, I can lose weight pretty easy, but the problem is that at 54, it's not as easy as it once was, and then I would get motivated and lose it, hit my target weight and then gain it all back.

I really wanted to do something that I could do forever. I wanted something that would change my eating habits so much that my first meal AFTER I hit my target weight would look just the same as the one before. I think Noom is really changing how I eat and how I view food.

There are no "good" foods or "bad" foods. They just encourage you to think of foods as Green, Yellow, and Orange. And they want you to eat foods from each category every day. Along with doing that, I'm reading these articles every day on the app that help me think about food triggers, or psych tricks, or exercise, etc. One of the most helpful things they've taught me is if my weight isn't coming down, look for other encouragements, like food choices or fighting temptation, or planning. They lead you to read articles for 5-7 minutes per day.

It's working well for me. From 12/22-2/22 I've lost 15 lbs, and that's OVER Christmas and New Year's. It's ideal because I'm good at checking boxes and knocking things off a list. By weighing every day, I'm learning that my weight can fluctuate as much as 3 lbs a day so it helps me.

Formerly Willy Wonka
MarathonAg12
Nice negative STONKS
Ryan the Temp
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Yeah, I used to reach my weight "goal" and then go off the rails because I didn't really have a plan for what to do after that. I'm trying to focus more on fitness and quantifiable goals there.

I can always get down to 200 pounds pretty quickly doing any number of diets, but there isn't really any shortcuts to trying to squat 2x your body weight.
This same problem has plagued me for years. This time around I've decided to start setting major backcountry through-hike goals every six months. I have no choice but to train for those hikes because 1.) I'll have 35+ pounds on my back, and 2.) I don't want to be the out of shape fatass who has to be rescued. I'm doing 35 miles with 6000 feet of elevation gain in June and in December I'm doing the Outer Mountain Loop at Big Bend, which I think is 31 or 32 miles. Each will take a minimum of 3 months of intense training. I hope having another goal to roll into will help keep me on track.
Premium
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

CC09LawAg said:

Yeah, I used to reach my weight "goal" and then go off the rails because I didn't really have a plan for what to do after that. I'm trying to focus more on fitness and quantifiable goals there.

I can always get down to 200 pounds pretty quickly doing any number of diets, but there isn't really any shortcuts to trying to squat 2x your body weight.
This same problem has plagued me for years. This time around I've decided to start setting major backcountry through-hike goals every six months. I have no choice but to train for those hikes because 1.) I'll have 35+ pounds on my back, and 2.) I don't want to be the out of shape fatass who has to be rescued. I'm doing 35 miles with 6000 feet of elevation gain in June and in December I'm doing the Outer Mountain Loop at Big Bend, which I think is 31 or 32 miles. Each will take a minimum of 3 months of intense training. I hope having another goal to roll into will help keep me on track.
Cool goal, I would think I would only do that with someone else or have some sort of sat phone.
MarathonAg12
Ryan the Temp said:

CC09LawAg said:

I've done some trail running through the Franklin Mountains in El Paso. Beautiful sights
Ryan the Temp
AG
Quote:

Cool goal, I would think I would only do that with someone else or have some sort of sat phone.
I use a personal locator beacon (PLB) equipped with SOS.
MarathonAg12
SPOT?

Is it a monthly sub fee?
Ryan the Temp
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

SPOT?

Is it a monthly sub fee?
Yes, I use SPOT. They have a regular monthly sub, but also a flex sub that has an annual fee and then you only pay for months you have it activated.
aggiederelict
Hit 205 this morning. I'm down from 226 in early December. If this holds I will have hit my goal for Feb. Next goal is 200 by end of March. The odd thing is lately I haven't been that strict with intermittent fasting and the weight keeps coming off.

Clothes are fitting much better and overall I just feel so much better. I still haven't incorporated weight training into my routine yet. When I do, I think getting lean will be my next goal. I am thinking of shooting for a long term goal of 190 with some good muscle definition.
kerrag06
AG
Long Story Short
Started 2016 around 210lbs before life came at me FAST!
By late 2021- peaked at 284lbs
I'll lose 20, gain 10 back... constant loop
Have been stagnant at/around 250 for the last 6 months
GOAL- 210 again

With the huge gain came an increase in what was already High Blood pressure. At first it was just Lisinopril. But with the weight gain came amlodipine and eventually (once going over 260) a diuretic was added to the regimen. Yes, at 38 years old that's 3 different BP medications. My story is probably one that's different? Maybe not... I'm about as active as possible- Golf multiple times a week, stationary bike 4/5 times a week, 10 plus miles running outside a week, 3-4 lifts a week. etc. BUT!!! I had a day last month where I ran a 5K early, then lifted after, then played 18 holes, then drank 2200 cals in alcohol and then ate 2000 cals in whataburger- IN ONE DAY. And sadly that's about the norm for me-the imbalance. I've had people tell me I don't eat enough during the day and that my body is craving calorie replacement due to my activity level- I just do it the wrong way???? My newest venture was to go all in with myfitness pal paired with my already used runkeeper app. I am also looking at getting the Garmin Fenix 7 watch here in the next week or so as those apps support Garmin Connect. Its 2 to 3 times the cost of most the other fitness watches but my thought process is perhaps the extra money spent will keep me honest? We shall see.... Perhaps the craziest part of my story is I genuinely like running. Seeing my 5K paces goes down is about as addicting as candy (another problem of mine). Sorry for the incoherent rambling. It's just a constant struggle. I'm trying to give up alcohol/candy/ubereats all together for lent- but we shall see how that goes.

Bottom line. I didn't expect it to be this encouraging and refreshing to read some of the testimonials on here. Thank you guys! And best of luck to everyone on here.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Starting Weight (1/2): 252
2/20: 235.8
2/27: 236.8 (+1.0)
Net change: -15.2

Starting Body Fat: 38.8%
2/20: 36.0%
2/27: 33.4% (-2.6%)
Net change: -5.4%

This is definitely a mixed feelings day because I'm UP a pound from last week, despite big deficits and good gym time. However, the other side of that coin is that I'm down three belt notches and 5.4% body fat, with almost half of that body fat % loss coming in the last week. My body measurements continue the downward trend, clearly indicating the last week has seen good muscle gain. I lost 1/2" off my hips, waist, thigh, and up-tops.

My June goal is to be at or below 207 with 30% body fat or less, so I might at least make the body fat number..
JYDog90
AG
You may have said this RTT, but are you weighing every day?

I totally wouldn't sweat the bumps up or down. As you can see on my chart above I'm all over the place. Yeah, I like hitting my new lows and celebrate those, I'm also encouraged just to see the general trends downward.

Congrats, friend! You're knocking it out of the park! Keep going.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Yes, I weigh everyday. The last week or two have been a distinct plateau from a gross weight loss standpoint. I only measure body fat % and body dimensions weekly.
kerrag06
AG
What's everyone using these days to measure body fat %? I'm sure it's somewhere on this board but perhaps another reminder? I was looking online today and they range anywhere from 40-400 dollars for the Omron handheld. I found one scale on Amazon for around 100. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything dead perfect. But not the bottom of the barrel either. Thanks!
Ryan the Temp
AG
I use an Omron 4-point scale. It has the foot pads and the "handlebars."
Premium
AG
I don't know if it works, but I use the Withings scale that measures bmi, fat, muscle, bone, weight, and shows you the weather and recent steps
Todd 02
AG
Todd 02 said:

Todd 02 said:

January 1: 157 lbs, 145/90, 16.8% body fat

Goal*: ~140 lbs, under 120/80, 10% body fat
January 31: 146 lbs, 125/83, 14.3% body fat
February 28: 139 lbs, ???/??, 12.7% body fat

The wife and I did carnivore for the month of February. I started February off with a bang activity-wise. My dad passed away unexpectedly on February 2 and the rest of the month was a cluster, both emotionally and schedule-wise.

We'll transition into more of a keto-carnivore diet in March. Hoping to get some more activity now that it's warming up and the days are getting longer.
kerrag06
AG
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I went through something similar a few years ago with a big weight loss challenge they were having at work. I had this plan and goal and then on Jan 7 my mom passed away. It honestly took me a while to get back in the groove. Don't let the interference of goals get you down man. And best of freaking luck to you. One of my biggest faults is I beat myself up mentally when I have a bad week or even a few bad days. Overcoming that has been a huge breakthrough for me.
Todd 02
AG
I appreciate it.

Diet-wise I was able to hold strong (and the weight numbers reflect that). I'm also still holding strong on no alcohol since NYE, which is quite a feat. It was sure tempting to drink while coping with Dad's death, but I ultimately just decided not to do it. Figured it would be a slippery slope...
kerrag06
AG
That's my Achilles heel man. The alcohol and then even worse- what I eat after drinking. None of my friends have the same issue. They drink and pass out when they get home. And drink more than me!!! As for Me? Well I get on Uber eats like a freaking mad man. I tell myself not to eat like that over and over after drinking. Then, it happens. So I'm trying to utilize lent and my fitness pal to create some new habits. Fingers crossed I just have to learn how NOT to go meet the guys for every single Aggie Basketball:Football game and of course- COWBOYS. Or maybe I need to finally have a kid and no longer be able to do anything. Hahah
agwrestler
AG
I have struggled with bad ankles for the past two years where pain would randomly creep up from nowhere in the night and I couldn't move without crutches for a week.

Carnivore diet started 2-9-23
The Good:
Zero ankle pain
Almost eliminated my heartburn (Tums ~5 days/wk -> zero)
Class ring fits
Lost 9lbs as of this morning
Body recovers in 1 day vs 3 after a hard workout

The Bad:
Groceries going to waste. My wife is learning and adjusting well, but 90% of the fridge/pantry I cannot eat.
Bad breath (might be to much dairy)?
Doing it by myself. Wife doesn't eat beef so this would be very tough for her and my teenage kids would give up their phones before giving up carbs (thankfully they're in great shape).

The Ugly:
Slight constipation the first week ( too little salt)

aggiedata
AG
kerrag06 said:

That's my Achilles heel man. The alcohol and then even worse- what I eat after drinking. None of my friends have the same issue. They drink and pass out when they get home. And drink more than me!!! As for Me? Well I get on Uber eats like a freaking mad man. I tell myself not to eat like that over and over after drinking. Then, it happens. So I'm trying to utilize lent and my fitness pal to create some new habits. Fingers crossed I just have to learn how NOT to go meet the guys for every single Aggie Basketball:Football game and of course- COWBOYS. Or maybe I need to finally have a kid and no longer be able to do anything. Hahah

Get OCD about tracking your food intake in fitness pal. Hit 1500 Calories and stop. I was shocked at how many calories I was inhaling. Carb were killing me. I stopped all fast food.

Drinking is tough. I started this September 1. I made it through Aggie Football drinking sparkling water. At least start with that early, then switch to Miller Lite or Flight late. Eat beef jerky if you must eat late. Eating after 8 is a killer.

228 to now 185. If I can do during that season plus the holidays, you can too. Hardest part was starting it for me.
Ronnie Woodard
AG
Ronnie Woodard said:

Jan 1: 193.4
Feb 1: 183.0

Completed dry January and really started to watch portion size, but didn't really change too much about what I was eating -- would stop at two pieces of pizza or half an order of pad thai instead of the full thing, and turn it into two meals instead of just one.

In the past, I typically would treadmill or walk myself into oblivion without changing too much about what I was eating but don't have the time to do that anymore. Seeing better results this time around and this feels a ton more sustainable than that which is great.

Hoping to get down and stay in the 170-175 range over the next couple of months.
Jan 1: 193.4
Feb 1: 183.0
Mar 1: 180.6

Leveled off a bit this month after being pretty relaxed with eating and drinking habits due to lots of celebrations/parties this month (my birthday, Super Bowl Sunday, Valentine's Day, friend's 30th Birthday) which should lighten up after a long weekend out of town this weekend.

Hoping to get outside a bit more and mix in more exercise this month with it starting to warm up a bit.

All in all, I'll take it!
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Marvin_Zindler said:

Marvin_Zindler said:

Marvin_Zindler said:

Marvin_Zindler said:

Marvin_Zindler said:

Starting Weight as of 1/15/23: 257lbs

Goal Weight: 175lbs

Doing IFM six days/week with 20-hour fasts or longer. Running at least 30-minutes/day. No booze. Few, if any, sodas.

1/22/23: 253.6lbs (-3.4)
1/29/23: 250.2 (-3.4)
2/7/23: 248.4 (-1.8)

Missed a couple of runs and a couple of 24-hour fasts last week due to work events, so I'm glad I still dropped some. Back on the bus big time this week.
2/16/23: 243.8 (-4.6)

Pleased with progress over the past week and have dropped almost 15lbs in one month. My dress shirts, slacks, and jeans are notably looser-fitting.

Heading to Costa Rica for a long weekend with the wife and a few other couples, but planning to maintain some diligence.
3/1/23: 239.6 (-4.2)

Slow and steady progress. Now down slightly more than 20lbs from where I started on 1/9/23.

Had my first annual physical in 4 years last Friday. My Dr. was tongue-in-cheek betting me I couldn't get back to my goal of 175. I told him I'd prove him wrong when I see him this time next year.
StringerBell
AG
made it through the plateau and started on the downward trend again the past couple of days
Ryan the Temp
AG
Forgot to post yesterday.

Starting Weight (1/2): 252
2/27: 236.8
3/6: 233.2 (-3.6)
Net change: -18.8

Starting Body Fat: 38.8%
2/27: 33.4%
3/6: 33.4% (-0.0%)
Net change: -5.4%

Still a little behind on my goal of losing 10 pounds per month, but I'll take it.
kerrag06
AG
I have another question for the board. I'm about 14 days into using my fitness pal as strict as I can. It just doesn't make allowances for any type of weight lifting- other than their own stuff. Is there a way to track that with a watch or anything like that? Im lifting about 3-4 times weekly so was just wondering. it's not a big deal as I'm seeing results as is- but would be nice. I'm pretty close to purchasing the garmin Fenix 7 or Epix 2. Still debating which one. Would most watches calculate that based on heart rate over the duration of workout?
ptothemo
AG
Yes, the watch will calculate calories burned based on duration and heart rate. And then you can sync Garmin Connect (assuming that's what you get) with My Fitness Pal. MFP will then adjust your calorie goal based on the burn during exercise.

You still have to be mindful of the calorie burn with Garmin not being 100% exact and all of that, but the watch plus MFP will get you where you are wanting to be, generally.
Ryan the Temp
AG
My Fitbit calculates it the same way when I select "weights" as my exercise. I don't know how accurate it it, but it's probably pretty reasonable.
kerrag06
AG
Thank you!!!
Bunk Moreland
Been forgetting to update too. Yesterday clocked in at 250 on the nose. I can't shake past this spot but I also haven't tried hard enough and I know that.

Tired of saying 'life' is getting in the way. Need to get going much more in March/April/May.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I forgot to start my tracker at the beginning of my workout today, so it didn't capture the whole thing, but this is what Fitbit tells me when I'm done:

Mobile version:

Desktop version:
annieag91
AG
Lily's stevia dark chocolate chips. I have a small glass votive i use and allow myself some most days. Am happy now that half the time I don't crave it anymore. Chobani sero sugar yogurt as well. Wasn't a fan of stevia at all, but it is satisfying now.
LeanderAg
AG
I've been following this thread, but this is my first time posting. Great job everyone! I'm 5'9" and last year I was the heaviest I've ever been at 215 (thanks COVID and WFH!). Like many others, I've lost weight but gained it back and got discouraged. Well, we booked a Caribbean cruise in May and I set a goal of 180 by then. So starting Jan 1, I've been counting calories using the Lose It app and doing combo cardio/weight training about five days a week. I've really been diligent with not much splurging. Today, I weighed in at 189 so I'm well ahead of my goal. Now, I'm looking to get under 180.
MarathonAg12
Still at 220. I'd like to be 200 by my BIL's wedding first weekend of May.

Felt great during my ACFT this passed week. Maxed out my deadlifts and push-ups.

Really need to incorporate sprints in my diet again and track work to bring down my 2 mile run time again.

Good luck Ags

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.