Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***2023 Weight Loss Thread***

24,766 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by aggiegolfer03
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talked with the doc about Mounjaro today and he will prescribe. Turns out my insurance won't cover Ozempic for off-label use. My A1C is likely going to come back as pre-diabetic, so he can justify it as medically necessary.
KidDoc
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Talked with the doc about Mounjaro today and he will prescribe. Turns out my insurance won't cover Ozempic for off-label use. My A1C is likely going to come back as pre-diabetic, so he can justify it as medically necessary.
Yeah the ozempic thing makes sense, that is why they had to rebrand it as Wegovy because they proved it worked for weight loss in non diabetics as well. Best of luck! Make sure you eat SLOWLY and consider just starting with 1/2 of your typical portion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I'm former military. Eating slowly isn't something I've done since 1996.
KidDoc
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

I'm former military. Eating slowly isn't something I've done since 1996.
I developed the bad habit during residency training at Texas Children's. Never knew when the poop was gonna hit the fan!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bigfootisreal
Ok I am in! Almost 200 lbs (199.8) for the first time in 15 years - I am only 5'8', so way too much. Was about 215 in 2008, then dropped down to 175 over the course of about 15 months. Did this with the primal diet, but slowing the carbs (and booze) crept back in. Since then I yo-yo from 180-195. Goal weight is anything under 180
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Starting weight: 186.8

1-9-23: 182.4

Weekly weight change: -4.4 lbs

Net weight change: -4.4 lbs
Bunk Moreland
Starting the year sick with a terrible cold.

258.6. Up 0.6. Hopefully I'm on the mend in the next couple days and I can get going for real.
TXTransplant
For those of you guys trying to lose a lot of weight (50+ lbs), any tips on how I can be more supportive of my BF?

He's 6'4" and 300+. Battled weight his whole life. When we started dating just over a year ago, I was shredding. He adopted some of my eating habits (high protein, low-ish carbs and fat) but hasn't quite stuck with it like I have.

We are back on the wagon this month (I feel like alcohol is THE biggest derailer of any healthy habits).

I eat pretty healthy/clean, and he eats with me a lot, but not every night.

We've talked about the shots, but he isn't even pre-diabetic, and he really wants to do this on his own (although, I'm tempted to encourage him to try it).

Any other suggestions? He does work out pretty regularly, so he's not sedentary.
MouthBQ98
AG
Current weight 159.

Goal: visible abs by Memorial Day weekend at any weight.
Initial goal is cut to 155 by around tax day, then a harder cut to ~150 or less, which it what it would take. That part is going to suck but It's never going to get easier and I want to pull it off once in my life.
Diggity
AG
I probably sound like a shill at this point, but this would be a great starting point for him,

As you already alluded to...it's mainly about diet at this point. Weight training and cardio will be helpful, but until he gets his diet/portion control in line, none of that is going to move the needle.

https://www.amazon.com/Bigger-Leaner-Stronger-Building-Ultimate-ebook/dp/B006XF5BTG

this was roughly 75 lbs ago
Buck Compton
AG
TXTransplant said:

For those of you guys trying to lose a lot of weight (50+ lbs), any tips on how I can be more supportive of my BF?

He's 6'4" and 300+. Battled weight his whole life. When we started dating just over a year ago, I was shredding. He adopted some of my eating habits (high protein, low-ish carbs and fat) but hasn't quite stuck with it like I have.

We are back on the wagon this month (I feel like alcohol is THE biggest derailer of any healthy habits).

We've talked about the shots, but he isn't even pre-diabetic, and he really wants to do this on his own (although, I'm tempted to encourage him to try it).

Any other suggestions? He does work out pretty regularly, so he's not sedentary.

Firsf off, he had to be the driver of wanting to cut weight. If he's decided he wants to and it's truly a goal, then the rest is all about the type of person he is and your relationship and communication style. For me, it helps more if my wife is just blunt if I start to fix a drink or eat some dessert I really don't need. Then it's also good to just get rid of anything that isn't on the plan to stop the temptation. For my wife that meant giving up some snacks and foods that she enjoys.

If he's an analytical guy, then just doing the math on some of his bad habits may do the trick. The little things sneak up on you. You mentioned alcohol. One 12 oz. IPA per night for an entire year replaced with unsweetened tea or a sparkling water or something with zero calories is like 70,000 calories/20 pounds in a year. Make drinking, dessert, etc. the exception.

It may also help for him to just write down everything he eats for a week or two, even if he isn't tracking calories for all of it. Pretty eye opening when you do this, especially if he's a snacker or grazer by nature.

That being said, I'd also get a doctor to check everything out that may be hampering him (thyroid, etc.) I don't know how much fat he had to lose, but if he's active in weights and cardio 4-5x per week, then he's gotta be eating a TON to maintain that weight if there isn't some underlying health driver really slowing his metabolism. If he's that regular with working out he's likely having to eat 3500-4000 calories just to stay at his weight.
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

I probably sound like a shill at this point, but this would be a great starting point for him,

As you already alluded to...it's mainly about diet at this point. Weight training and cardio will be helpful, but until he gets his diet/portion control in line, none of that is going to move the needle.

https://www.amazon.com/Bigger-Leaner-Stronger-Building-Ultimate-ebook/dp/B006XF5BTG

I was just on Amazon looking at that book after seeing your previous post. I'm going to see if I can convince him to listen to the audiobook (I don't think actual reading is an option right now, for a lot of different reasons).
TXTransplant
Buck Compton said:

TXTransplant said:

Firsf off, he had to be the driver of wanting to cut weight. If he's decided he wants to and it's truly a goal, then the rest is all about the type of person he is and your relationship and communication style. For me, it helps more if my wife is just blunt if I start to fix a drink or eat some dessert I really don't need. Then it's also good to just get rid of anything that isn't on the plan to stop the temptation. For my wife that meant giving up some snacks and foods that she enjoys.

If he's an analytical guy, then just doing the math on some of his bad habits may do the trick. The little things sneak up on you. You mentioned alcohol. One 12 oz. IPA per night for an entire year replaced with unsweetened tea or a sparkling water or something with zero calories is like 70,000 calories/20 pounds in a year. Make drinking, dessert, etc. the exception.

It may also help for him to just write down everything he eats for a week or two, even if he isn't tracking calories for all of it. Pretty eye opening when you do this, especially if he's a snacker or grazer by nature.

That being said, I'd also get a doctor to check everything out that may be hampering him (thyroid, etc.) I don't know how much fat he had to lose, but if he's active in weights and cardio 4-5x per week, then he's gotta be eating a TON to maintain that weight if there isn't some underlying health driver really slowing his metabolism. If he's that regular with working out he's likely having to eat 3500-4000 calories just to stay at his weight.

He actually is pretty good about getting checked out, and he just had blood work done. His glucose was higher than it's ever been, and even though he's not pre-diabetic, it did scare him a little.

The calories thing is one I've been struggling with. I'm with him enough to know he can eat that much in a day, but I don't think he is eating that much every day. He's done several Prolon fasts (don't get me started on that) this last year, so I know he has the willpower when he's motivated.

He did track for a little while last year, but he just gets so distracted. And honestly, I was putting in a lot of the numbers for him.

I think if he could just shed maybe 20-30 lbs and keep it off for more than a week or two, that would motivate him more. But he does those stupid fasts and then gets frustrated when the weight comes back.

It's a delicate subject for me because obviously, I started dating him at his current weight, and nothing about our relationship is contingent on him losing weight. I want to be sure I don't inadvertently send that message to him.
StringerBell
AG
the one thing ive found too is consistency is everything

so like if i eat good on one day, say 2500 calories and feel great and then next day oops i go grab a couple of beers and bump up to 4000, then the next day back down to 2000, and then the next at 3000 and my goal is to only eat 2500 a day ive averaged 3000 over the course of four days.

measuring my food out and what not made me realize how much i was overeating even when i thought i was doing good.
Bunk Moreland
I was as high as 330, got as low as 260 in one year after that. It's purely decision making and behavior changing.

I am much more aware of my own decisions even when I'm making bad ones at my weight now than I used to be when I'd just mentally come up with an excuse as to why I'm eating the way I am and do the usual "monday I'll start."

Keto helped a lot because I was able to enjoy foods I really like with the diet so I didnt' care as much that I was losing out on other foods I liked (basically everything with carbs).

The final thing is talking openly with friends and family. Don't be ashamed, don't try to do it on your own. You don't need cheerleaders rooting you on every day on instagram photos, but the more people close to him he tells he is going to change his habits and start losing weight, the easier it will be for him to stay motivated to actually do it.

But nothing will change until he simply has had enough. That took me a long time to understand. And for the last 4-5 months of 2022 I had a lot of good going on in my life so I fell back into "content" at 255-265 when in actuality i'm not content at all. I want to be under 220, period.
TXTransplant
StringerBell said:

the one thing ive found too is consistency is everything

so like if i eat good on one day, say 2500 calories and feel great and then next day oops i go grab a couple of beers and bump up to 4000, then the next day back down to 2000, and then the next at 3000 and my goal is to only eat 2500 a day ive averaged 3000 over the course of four days.

measuring my food out and what not made me realize how much i was overeating even when i thought i was doing good.

Sounds exactly like my BF. His schedule is hectic and he often burns the candle at both ends. And I know that's affecting his ability to be consistent with his eating.
Bunk Moreland
I have a crazy schedule too, and there was some weird mojo/confidence I gained once I was able to stay dedicated to keto even with the craziness of my work and life. Once the results were showing up and I was able to not get lazy and go eat **** food because I was in a hurry, I almost began to look forward to my stomach begging me for food but knowing I wouldn't be able to get home and cook a steak until later, etc. He'll feed off that if he starts seeing results.
TXTransplant
Bunk Moreland said:

I was as high as 330, got as low as 260 in one year after that. It's purely decision making and behavior changing.

I am much more aware of my own decisions even when I'm making bad ones at my weight now than I used to be when I'd just mentally come up with an excuse as to why I'm eating the way I am and do the usual "monday I'll start."

Keto helped a lot because I was able to enjoy foods I really like with the diet so I didnt' care as much that I was losing out on other foods I liked (basically everything with carbs).

The final thing is talking openly with friends and family. Don't be ashamed, don't try to do it on your own. You don't need cheerleaders rooting you on every day on instagram photos, but the more people close to him he tells he is going to change his habits and start losing weight, the easier it will be for him to stay motivated to actually do it.

But nothing will change until he simply has had enough. That took me a long time to understand. And for the last 4-5 months of 2022 I had a lot of good going on in my life so I fell back into "content" at 255-265 when in actuality i'm not content at all. I want to be under 220, period.

That last paragraph is exactly how I feel, and it's why I haven't pushed the issue. But I also want to be supportive and help him stay focused.

I'm pretty much it, in terms of who he confides in. He has a lot of friends, and funny, his best/closet friend is super ripped. Like wants to compete in lifting competitions. Unfortunately he and his wife also drink like fish, and bad habits come out when we are with them.

But I'm going to be his support system. He is WFH 100%, and aside from his three kids (one is out of the house and the other is soon to be), I'm it, at least in-person on a day-to-day basis.
Diggity
AG
TXTransplant said:

Diggity said:

I was just on Amazon looking at that book after seeing your previous post. I'm going to see if I can convince him to listen to the audiobook (I don't think actual reading is an option right now, for a lot of different reasons).
Mike Matthews has a podcast as well, so might be something to suggest he listen to as well.

All these guys are dewshbags on some level, but he's better than most, in my experience.
TXTransplant
Bunk Moreland said:

I have a crazy schedule too, and there was some weird mojo/confidence I gained once I was able to stay dedicated to keto even with the craziness of my work and life. Once the results were showing up and I was able to not get lazy and go eat **** food because I was in a hurry, I almost began to look forward to my stomach begging me for food but knowing I wouldn't be able to get home and cook a steak until later, etc. He'll feed off that if he starts seeing results.

He's done keto in the past and actually likes it. I'm not a huge fan of the high-fat options that fall within rules of keto, but it's better than not doing anything at all.

He was doing that before he met me, though. He will admit he let Covid and the lockdown get the best of him, and he's still trying to recover.
CC09LawAg
TXTransplant said:

How old is he?

I used to do the roller coaster up/down weight loss thing with unsustainable habits. HIIT, keto, no carbs, starving myself, etc. Could lose 30, 40, 50 pounds in a few months but always gained it back.

I am currently almost a year in and about 30 pounds down (250 to 220). The main thing I did was cut out drinking, which as you mentioned is a huge derailer of a healthy lifestyle. Then I starting working out with my goals completely disassociated from weight loss. My first goal was to walk 30 minutes every day, no matter what. Once I did that for a month or so, I knew that I needed to do more to see the results I wanted. I didn't care what the # on the scale said, my goals were based on getting stronger and increasing my lifts doing Stronglifts. When you start, it takes about 30 minutes to do it, so I just slotted it in 3 times a week to the time I was doing my walks so it wasn't inconvenient at all. But I made it non-negotiable that I was going to do it, whether it was at 5 AM or 11 PM.

Diet wise, what I started focusing on recently is my protein intake. Counting calories is a pain and I hate doing it and I know I'm not consistent with it. So I try to make sure I get .8g/protein per pound of body weight a day, minimum. I find that this forms healthier eating habits and I don't waste calories on carbs and junk because I am focusing on attaining that goal. It's a lot harder than you think to consume that much. Plus, it keeps me out of the mindset of "eating like a bird" that some bigger guys get. I still get to eat a ton of meat and cheese and dairy and things I like. I just make smarter choices like leaner cuts, not smothering things in sauces and using seasoning instead, etc.

It may take looking at the bigger picture, because that is what helped me. One day I realized I am not getting any younger, and my bad eating/sleeping/drinking habits were probably doing damage to my body that I could never undo, wrecking my testosterone levels, etc. I did not want to be a fat old man that couldn't go on vacation and walk more than 10 minutes or do physical labor, let alone pick up my future grandkids.

My other advice would be to not let perfect be the enemy of good. I used to try to do EVERYTHING perfect because my mindset was "What's the point if I don't go all in?" But I have seen way better and more consistent results finding small changes that fit my lifestyle rather than trying to become "5 AM workout everyday keto guy".

I hope all that rambling is a little bit helpful.
TXTransplant
He's 53. Given his size, he's got pretty modest goals for now. He just can't seem to generate enough activation energy to get the reaction going.

I'm high protein, so when he eats with me, that's the focus.

Despite his size, he's actually pretty mobile and active. But he tried to waterski this past summer, and well, it didn't go as he expected. And then there are challenges with just being big. Some of that won't change, because even if he loses weight, he is still going to be a big guy, but I know he wants to shed some of the excess weight.
CC09LawAg
It may take some kind of catalyst event for real motivation to set in unfortunately.

I'm only 35 now, but I could get away with all of my bad habits even a few years ago because I was still relatively thin, healthy, could do what I needed to do, etc. It wasn't till the past year or so that it really all caught up with me and a visit to the doctor made me realize what a fat turd I had become.

If he's going about his days fairly uninhibited and unbothered, it makes it much harder for things to stick in my experience.

Honestly, I feel so much better now that I can't imagine going back to my old habits. I could easily see slippage occurring if I had a go go go lifestyle, whether personal or business. But I made the intentional decision to leave a crazier work life behind and probably leave some money on the table in the near term so that I could be a better version of myself for my family. I started prioritizing things in this order: family, fitness, finances. All my decisions flow from there.

Best of luck! It's never easy for anyone and it gets harder as we get older for sure.
ABATTBQ87
AG
TXTransplant said:

He's 53. Given his size, he's got pretty modest goals for now. He just can't seem to generate enough activation energy to get the reaction going.

I'm high protein, so when he eats with me, that's the focus.

Despite his size, he's actually pretty mobile and active. But he tried to waterski this past summer, and well, it didn't go as he expected. And then there are challenges with just being big. Some of that won't change, because even if he loses weight, he is still going to be a big guy, but I know he wants to shed some of the excess weight.

Here are the keys to my 80 pound weight loss over 2 years

1) eliminated soda and ice cream from diet
2) Nutrisystems for 9 months
3) walk every day, start slow and keep adding steps
4) daily situps - started with one set of 10 every day until I worked up to 5 sets of 50 every day
5) rewarded myself with a Saturday Chick-fil-A meal or Sunday hamburgers
6) weigh every morning and take picture of scale
7) record weight everyday and use a calorie app and track every meal
8) water, water and water
Diggity
AG
Buck Compton said:

TXTransplant said:

very true. Same with cokes, to a lesser degree. Just saw this today.

Bunk Moreland
My vice is diet soda. Zero calories but still need to ditch it for water water and more water.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I'm off to a slow start - having a difficult time shifting back into better habits. My enabler husband isn't helping when last night we were on the way home and he would only eat at McDonald's despite several other restaurants right in the area where I had better options. He gets pissy when I say, "I'll just eat later." so I feel guilted into eating garbage.

Starting weight (1/2): 250
Today's weight: 250.8
Change: +0.8
Lbs to go: 65.8
TXTransplant
Bunk Moreland said:

My vice is diet soda. Zero calories but still need to ditch it for water water and more water.

Funny, I'm the artificial sweetener user in our relationship. I don't drink a lot of diet soda anymore, but I do use Stevia, Splenda, and ~gasp~ Sweet-N-Low (when one of the other two isn't available).

My BF does not drink sodas or sugary drinks at all. Maybe an occasional unsweet tea or flavored (but unsweetened) sparkling water, but mostly plain water. And he gives me crap about my artificial sweetener usage.
Diggity
AG
You probably already realize this, but you're not going to lose real weight if you eat of considently...be it McDonald's or pretty much anywhere else. No way to track your calorie intake.

Obviously some choices are going to be better than others when you choose to eat out, but you have to be preparing the majority of your meals at home.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I know that. However, I've tracked food intake with journals enough to be able to visually judge a great many foods. I've even created "recipes" for some of my favorites to use in food journals. I've also done a lot of research on nutrition at certain restaurants, especially fast food, so I can make the best choices when I'm in a bind.

The key is to make those correct or best choices, which obviously I'm not doing.

One of the things that threw me way off last year was when the Atkins food journal app I was using was taken offline by the company for three months. I am very much a creature of habit and as long as I was able to keep the focus on doing the same things every day, it was working. When they took the app down, I lost all of the data I had compiled to make tracking easier (i.e. those "recipes"), so it was very difficult to transition to one of the other food journal apps. My whole system fell apart and the loss of my routine allowed me to slip back into my bad eating habits.

Atkins eventually brought the app back, but it sucks now. I think I'm going to explore the food side of Fitbit to see if I like it.
StringerBell
AG
tbh that's a tough spot to be in and probably one that warrants a whole new convo as to how you can manage your food intake independent of your spouse.

tough thing to be motivated when the person you spend most of your eating hours with has a different mentality
Ryan the Temp
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I had cut soda out almost entirely, but got into the habit of drinking Dr. Pepper Zero and zero sugar ginger ale. I try to drink a lot of water, but I find that plain old water is something I don't drink a lot of by itself, but if I add one packet of zero sugar Country Time lemonade mix to a 1 liter bottle of water I drink it much more rapidly and end up taking in more water. I usually follow that with 1 liter of plain water. It's not ideal, but it gets me there on my fluid intake.
Diggity
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

I know that. However, I've tracked food intake with journals enough to be able to visually judge a great many foods. I've even created "recipes" for some of my favorites to use in food journals. I've also done a lot of research on nutrition at certain restaurants, especially fast food, so I can make the best choices when I'm in a bind.

The key is to make those correct or best choices, which obviously I'm not doing.

One of the things that threw me way off last year was when the Atkins food journal app I was using was taken offline by the company for three months. I am very much a creature of habit and as long as I was able to keep the focus on doing the same things every day, it was working. When they took the app down, I lost all of the data I had compiled to make tracking easier (i.e. those "recipes"), so it was very difficult to transition to one of the other food journal apps. My whole system fell apart and the loss of my routine allowed me to slip back into my bad eating habits.

Atkins eventually brought the app back, but it sucks now. I think I'm going to explore the food side of Fitbit to see if I like it.

it's better than nothing, but those published nutrition figures are based on a certain size, which doesn't often line up to reality. Fast food is a bit more standardized, but still all over the map.

It's been proven time and time again that we underestimate our caloric intake when visually judging. Why do you think you read some many sob stories about people who can't seem to lose weight, when they "estimate" they're only eating about 2,000 calories? They're underestimating.

I promise you won't be losing significant weight if you're eating out more than once or twice a week.
KidDoc
AG
beerag04
AG
Joining in and getting serious this year. Went from 180 to 220 about eight years ago when I switched to a desk job. Been hovering there ever since with some really poor eating habits and sporadic exercise. Intend to be back under 190 by my birthday in May and back under 180 by the end of the year. Regardless of weight though, I want to change my habits to be more positive. Trying Noom and liking it so far.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.