Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***2023 Weight Loss Thread***

24,727 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by aggiegolfer03
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please don't lecture me like I'm stupid.

Visual judgment is not perfect, and I know it isn't. However, I can tell you from personal experience my judge of weight for many foods from visual observation is actually very good because I've spent a lot of time meticulously measuring food over the years. If I'm not sure I can be reasonably accurate about weight by looking at foods, I will err on the side of foods that eating more of won't be an issue, like lean proteins and vegetables.

That being said, my problem is 100% sugar and other carbs. The only thing that has ever worked for me and didn't make me hate my life was going keto and keeping my carbs to <100g a day.
Diggity
AG
god you're thin skinned
Ryan the Temp
AG
Diggity said:

god you're thin skinned
Is being an ******* on every thread you can some kind of schtick for you?
Diggity
AG
Just trying to relay some of my experience going through the exact same thing.

If I wanted to be an ass, I would say....if you're sensitive about your food choices, maybe don't post on a weight loss thread and blame others for your ****ty choices.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Diggity said:

Just trying to relay some of my experience going through the exact same thing.

If I wanted to be an ass, I would say....if you're sensitive about your food choices, maybe don't post on a weight loss thread and blame others for your ****ty choices.
I'm not sensitive about my food choices, whatever that means. You're the one saying my personal experience and accuracy of judgment is wrong without having any way of knowing that, and making those assertions about me comes across as arrogant and condescending.

My bad choices are my fault. There may be contributing factors, but yeah, at the end of the day, it's on me to own those choices. I won't dispute that with you or anyone else.

I joined this thread to be encouraged and inspired by others in my renewed efforts to get back on track, to share my experiences and learn through others' experiences, to acknowledge and express my own failures without judgment. If the only thing you have to offer is to tell me I'm wrong and I'm not going to lose weight based on your inaccurate assumptions about me, then there isn't much for me to value from your contributions to this thread.

Most of us KNOW what to do. We just aren't doing it and need some outside motivation and encouragement to get on the right track. If you are trying to be helpful to me or others, I don't think your approach is effective.
Diggity
AG
I'm reading my (initial) posts again and not seeing anything condescending towards you.

With regards to under counting calories... It's not a personal slight. We're all guilty of it.

Believe it or not, I was trying to be helpful but I will refrain from engaging with you on this thread from now on.
Ryan the Temp
AG
You came across as very insistent that what I was doing was wrong and that it's not possible for me to be a good visual judge of food based on studies conducted with people who aren't me.

If you were trying to be helpful, you could have started with trying to figure out why I think my experience makes me a good visual judge of food. FWIW, I lost almost 60 pounds while still eating out an average of 5-6 meals per week - because I made good choices and am a good judge of food volume and weight.

I'm sorry I called you an *******.

Ryan the Temp
AG
Here's my rollercoaster since June 2017. The big drop in 2021 was when I went keto and started training for a four-day summit and hike of Mount St. Helens. The one big spike in the middle of that dive was my weigh-in when I got back from the mountain. There's no real way to go keto on a backcountry hike like that, but I did my best, even though I had to eat 4000+ calories per day. The amazing part of it was I lost 8% body fat over those four days.
Bigfootisreal
Down 4.6 lbs. Keto and IF with a fasting window of 16 hours 8pm-12pm, Walking daily. Hope to add weights at some point.
aggie98infl
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Atkins eventually brought the app back, but it sucks now. I think I'm going to explore the food side of Fitbit to see if I like it.

I'm not familiar with either of these, but for keto I really like Carb Manager. They have a free version although I do pay for the premium. I like that I can add recipes from the app or desktop. They also have a large database and keto recipes.
Buck Compton
AG
I use "Lose it!" As an app to track things. Also connects to Withings scale and to Garmin/Strava to track exercise as well. You can make your own recipe or scan a barcode or just search to their crowd-sourced database of foods. Not always 100% accurate on barcode scan, but you can adjust any mistakes manually. "

Helps track by meal and plan for outings (I pre-log meals in that I've already prepped or if I already know I'll be going out). Then it helps hold me accountable when going out if I already know what I'm going to order/eat. Also helps to track macros if you're interested in that.

The biggest thing it helped me with is sodium intake. Especially since I love beef jerky as a snack.
Ryan the Temp
AG
KidDoc said:

Ryan the Temp said:

KidDoc said:

Ryan the Temp said:

My insurance doesn't cover it.
Ours changed this year from covering Wegovy to Mounjaro. I would ask your doc to try both and they will likely have to do a prior authorization which a lot of docs are too lazy to do.

Mounjaro is covered with prior authorization.
Good because the weight loss data with Mounjaro is even better than Wegovy!

Wegovy, Ozempic & Mounjaro: Newest Weight Loss Drugs - Dr. Richard Lipman M.D. (richardlipmanmd.com)
Damn. Insurance denied Mounjaro because I'm not diabetic.
TheBiggerEvent
AG
Have a feeling mine is about to do the same. PA sent late last week.
KidDoc
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

KidDoc said:

Ryan the Temp said:

KidDoc said:

Ryan the Temp said:

My insurance doesn't cover it.
Ours changed this year from covering Wegovy to Mounjaro. I would ask your doc to try both and they will likely have to do a prior authorization which a lot of docs are too lazy to do.

Mounjaro is covered with prior authorization.
Good because the weight loss data with Mounjaro is even better than Wegovy!

Wegovy, Ozempic & Mounjaro: Newest Weight Loss Drugs - Dr. Richard Lipman M.D. (richardlipmanmd.com)
Damn. Insurance denied Mounjaro because I'm not diabetic.
Yeah it is proven to work for weight loss but not FDA approved at this time specifically for weight loss just for type 2 DM. It is pending though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ryan the Temp
AG
It's weird to me that insurance companies more often than not will not cover weight loss drugs, but cover all the other meds, treatments, etc. for all the medical conditions that are directly linked to obesity. Seems like a good investment, if you ask me.
aggiederelict
Don't bring logic into this situation.
KidDoc
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

It's weird to me that insurance companies more often than not will not cover weight loss drugs, but cover all the other meds, treatments, etc. for all the medical conditions that are directly linked to obesity. Seems like a good investment, if you ask me.
I understand it. Prior to the glp-1 weight loss meds did not work well. These are revolutionary medications. Hopefully within a year the cost can come do and insurance will start to cover them. Complain to your HR.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
i want to help ya'll navigate this weight loss thing a little better...

would ya'll be interested in a zoom type meeting where ya'll could ask questions?
Todd 02
AG
Late to the posting party, but I'm returning to the health and fitness bandwagon, just as I do every January. Why is it that Thanksgiving through New Years is such a grind?!?!

January 1: 157 lbs, 145/90, 16.8% body fat

Goal*: ~140 lbs, under 120/80, 10% body fat

*My goal is really to lower my blood pressure and get rid of body fat. I've always been skinny, though I've spent a good bit of my time in my adulthood being "skinny fat". I'm 5'9" and weighed 127 lbs when I started college, so I figure about 140 lbs is a decent target.

The bad news is that I'm starting 2023 nursing a lower back injury. I'm starting with yoga and hope to work into building a little muscle throughout the year once the back allows. If I can build some muscle, the goal weight may need to be adjusted. Also participating in Dryuary.

Good luck to everyone. Kick ass, Ags!
OasisMan
AG
I started this year too

Want to shed ~10# then tone/bulk up

Starting with Cals in < out, with high protein, low carbs -- I never eat breakie, making my lunch/dinner healthier, so Cal deficit should be easy

Working out 3-6x/wk

Once I hit goal I'll inc Cals but maintain high protein ratio

#Goals
#BeachBod
KidDoc
AG
Great workout day for a work day!

Irish 2.0
I'll play along.

Started this year seeing 200 on the scale for the first time since 2011. Not a good weight for me and it kicked my ass and put me back in my keeping healthy mindset.

Doing full week meal prep for Mon-Fri on Sunday evenings. Getting lots of my meal prep ideas off of Instagram. Only drinking vodka and bourbon and not nearly as often. No beer or wine. Haven't eaten out at all this year which was usually takeout or eating out 3-5x/wk. Walking 4-5miles/day (I have a cigar on my walks) and also the gym 4x/wk.

I'm fortunate that when I actually get in the mindset I can shed weight quickly. If I behave during Rodeo season, I can probably hit my 2nd goal by April. If not sooner. Getting back into the gym and comfortable is key for me as I ****ed up my shoulder a little over 4yrs ago and I'm still very cautious about getting back into weight training.

Male
5'8"

Starting 1/1 - 200lbs
Goal 1 - 180lbs by 3/16 (35th Birthday)
Goal 2 - 165lbs by Memorial Day

1/12 Wt. - 190lbs
wcb
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

I'll play along.

Started this year seeing 200 on the scale for the first time since 2011. Not a good weight for me and it kicked my ass and put me back in my keeping healthy mindset.

Doing full week meal prep for Mon-Fri on Sunday evenings. Getting lots of my meal prep ideas off of Instagram. Only drinking vodka and bourbon and not nearly as often. No beer or wine. Haven't eaten out at all this year which was usually takeout or eating out 3-5x/wk. Walking 4-5miles/day (I have a cigar on my walks) and also the gym 4x/wk.

I'm fortunate that when I actually get in the mindset I can shed weight quickly. If I behave during Rodeo season, I can probably hit my 2nd goal by April. If not sooner. Getting back into the gym and comfortable is key for me as I ****ed up my shoulder a little over 4yrs ago and I'm still very cautious about getting back into weight training.

Male
5'8"

Starting 1/1 - 200lbs

1/12 Wt. - 190lbs
I'm almost spot on with where you are and your goals. Just curious, how many calories / day are you at, and any ballpark what macros are? Down 10 already is impressive. I keep spinning on the -3 / +3 merry go round.
Irish 2.0
wcb said:

Irish 2.0 said:

I'll play along.

Male
5'8"

Starting 1/1 - 200lbs

1/12 Wt. - 190lbs
I'm almost spot on with where you are and your goals. Just curious, how many calories / day are you at, and any ballpark what macros are? Down 10 already is impressive. I keep spinning on the -3 / +3 merry go round.
Admittedly I was sick last Friday and all I did was drink Spicy V8 and that gave me a boost on the loss. I'm keeping my caloric intake under 2000/day. The big change too is I'm slamming about 1/2 gallon of water before I go to bed to stave off the munchies after I enjoy evening ritual...

Macro avg
Protein -160-170g
Carbs - 170-200g
Fat - ~50g

I actually enjoyed the Spicy V8 day besides having the bug. I'm considering doing it again as fast day just out of general curiosity.
MarathonAg12
I'm down to 223! Sorry I've been quiet, I had the flu. I threw up and didn't eat much.

Benefits of being sick!
Bunk Moreland
1/1: 258
1/9: 258.6
1/16: 257. 0

Slow start but I'll take it. Biggest win last week was getting over the sickness and beginning the correct dietary changes. Expecting good momentum now.
MarathonAg12
Irish 2.0 said:

I'll play along.

Male
5'8"

Starting 1/1 - 200lbs

1/12 Wt. - 190lbs
Welcome!

Curious to what kind of shoulder injury you had. After years of neglect and overuse of my neck and shoulders due to the army, I finally went in for Physical Therapy last Spring. I definitely recommend seeking out a good DPT if you haven't already.

It worked wonders. I initially had injured my rotor cuff pretty bad and had torn some cartilage around the shoulder area. I had cortisone shots done. It would last for a day, then hurt like hell after. To this day, I still have to be cautious when increasing weight for shoulder workouts....which is down right frustrating as I want to lift more.

Ryan the Temp
AG
Starting weight (1/2): 252
1/9: 250.8
1/16: 246.2
Body Fat: 38.6%
Net change: -5.8

Keto once again proving it works for me. I'm also going to the gym and doing 30-40 minutes of cardio 6 days a week and walking a couple miles a day.

The thing I really like about keto is I'm not hungry all the time - it really changes my appetite. I'm eating a pretty substantial amount of food, but my average daily intake for the last week was 1,721 calories and my average deficit was 2,592 calories. The lack of carbs makes it really difficult to eat high-calorie foods, but that's the point, I suppose.
krosch11
AG
I'll joint in this year. Two kids over 3 years and I snuck up to a chubby 245 from an athletic 225.

1/1 : 245lbs
1/14: 239 lbs

Goal weight : 195 lbs

I'll likely do extremely low carb for the first 90 days as i work back into lifting and cardio. Then start introducing carbohydrates as intensity improves. Really consistent first two weeks back so far.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Starting weight: 186.8

1-9-23: 182.4
1-17-23: 182.8

Weekly weight change: +0.4 lbs

Net weight change: -4 lbs

Crap effort over the holiday weekend, getting back after it today. I did manage to run 25 miles last week.
KidDoc
AG
Could be better, could be worse.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Starting Weight as of 1/15/23: 257lbs

Goal Weight: 175lbs

Doing IFM six days/week with 20-hour fasts or longer. Running at least 30-minutes/day. No booze. Few, if any, sodas.

texagco2003
AG
Starting weight on NYE 2022 of 240. Goal weight by NYE 2023 of 205.

Intermittent fasting on 18:6 Mon-Sat with a couple 22 hr fasts per week. Kettlebells, running, and walks with the wife 4-5 days per week.

Was down to 227.6 on Tuesday before getting sick, then let myself eat whatever for last couple days. Back to it Monday, let's f'In go!!
Irish 2.0
Irish 2.0 said:

I'll play along.

Male
5'8"

Starting 1/1 - 200lbs

1/12 Wt. - 190lbs

1/22 Wt. - 187lbs
txaggie_08
AG
That's awesome! What's your diet? Keto?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.