Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anxiety, Depression, OCD

26,292 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by BadMoonRisin
Adverse Event
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NOT A RECOMMENDATION:
I cannot find the video but it was from a podcast... basically a researcher denoted an incident where a 7-9 year old was being babysat and got into the freezer where the parents psilocybin chocolate was being stored. Child ended up consuming roughly 2 grams-worth of psilocybin mushroom in that chocolate. Parents informed the babysitter there wasn't much to do but remain calm and let it run its course. Child didn't have any negative experience while it was active but afterwards didn't have anymore Oppositional Defiance disorder among other positive traits.

FoodMushroom for thought.
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
AJ02
AG
Apologies as I don't have a star so can't really search easily....was your daughter diagnosed ODD?
Max Power
AG
The issue with a diagnosis like that is that she behaves for other people. She behaves at school, for the sitter, and other members of the family. She's a different kid for us than she is for the rest of the world. We've talked to the pediatrician and it was the same with with potential ADHD. The fact that she's not that way all the time for everyone prevents those kinds of diagnoses. A lot of her behaviors that we thought were indicative of ADHD weren't exhibited everywhere with everyone. We even talked to her teacher who was well versed in ADHD and she was adamant that our daughter doesn't have it.

We feel like we get one version of our child and the rest of the world gets another one.
Adverse Event
My 6 yr old is testing the **** out of her boundaries right now she turns seven in a month.

I've been informed that 7ish yes is a big boundary testing age. She's been pushing back on many things and giving plenty of sass on others.

Growing up allegedly adhd, I'm sensitive to attempting to discipline without incorporating trauma (verbal/physical) into it but.... still learning and growing as a parent myself.

I've been meaning to "let her try it her way" more often but also haven't been successful. But I want her to feel the burden of gaining more responsibilities and our expectations and freedoms associated with top performance.

What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
AJ02
AG
Sounds a lot like our daughter. She was violent from about 2 years old to around 8 years old? Scratching, pinching, hitting, kicking, throwing things. I got kicked in the throat once while I was sitting on the couch. She just pulled her leg back and kicked me as hard as she could with her heel.

Like your daughter, she was only like that around parents and grandparents. She was fine for teachers (for the most part), and just played games or kept quiet around the therapist. She ended up on citalopram, ADHD meds, and then a fast-acting anxiety med for when she was in the middle of one of her 12+ hour meltdowns. They thought ODD, ADHD, and GAD.

Honestly, I don't know how or why she changed, but one day she did. She's 12 now and while she can act like a moody, rude teenager at times, most of the times she's 100% fine. She's no longer on any meds and while I wouldn't categorize her as a "happy" child, she's definitely moved past the violence and constant defiance.

So don't give up hope! Structure and patience I think were the best things we did for her.
Bezmm
My son had a speech delay and was violent until 5. Later, he was diagnosed with autism. And two more years later he started suffering from epilepsy. He has been on Keppra since that time.
But except for the Canadian pharmacy meds, he attends a speech therapist and a psychologist regularly. And we do our best to support and help him.
He goes to school and can speak, write and read now. Yes, he is in an inclusive group, but I consider all the changes to be a great success.
So, I agree that it is important not to give up.
Max Power
AG
I know people generally post about their pets on the outdoor board but I'm over here way more often and this about my mental health. So Friday we had to put our dog down and it's been really hard on me, harder than anyone else in the house. She was pretty old, her back legs just stopped working and she couldn't control her bladder anymore. I've been worried about her for a while, she fell down Thursday night but I was able to get her to get up and come back in. Friday morning she basically collapsed when I was taking her outside and I knew that was it for her, it was time. We took her to the vet as a family and they let us know it was her time, she had lived her life. Luckily we have an incredibly caring vet who's taken great care of her including saving her life about 5 years ago. Normally she's scared when she gets in the car and never got scared. She normally shakes in fear every time we go to the vet and she was calm, she wasn't scared, it was like she was telling us she was okay, that she was ready. I've cried more in the past few days than I can remember crying collectively as far as I can remember. She was my buddy and I miss her so much already. She was always in my office with me, now it's just me in there. I would take her walks on my lunch break every day. It just feels like a piece of me is missing. I haven't been this sad in a while and I can manage when I'm keeping busy but when I stop moving it gets really tough. I know I'm not the only person who's lost a pet and I knew this day would come, but I wasn't ready for it. I feel guilty for taking this so hard and not letting myself off the hook. Grief is the worst, I know it takes time, and I know we gave her the best life we could, but I'm going to be sad for a while. I've apologized to my wife several times for not keeping it together but I'm doing the best I can, luckily she's understanding. I'm just trying to keep moving.

Sorry for being an emotional wreck, hug your dogs.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I can completely relate to how you're feeling. I have felt the same and did the same as far as mourning, etc. it will pass. I like to think that a God in heaven that loves us would not provide us with companions on this earth without also providing the means for us to be with them again after this life. This gives me hope. Hopefully it does the same for you.
Bottlerocket
AG
I know the feeling. I was an absolute wreck when we put down our Golden. I cried and didn't leave the house for days. It's totally normal to feel that way, our dogs truly loved us. Mine was attached me, like yours was.
Hang in there. It does get better…. Takes time.
Algorithmic Epiphany
My dog has advanced kidney failure going on and is losing control of her bowels...

Constant dread and uncertainty on "when."

15 years she's been with us.
Max Power
AG
I'm really sorry to hear that, I know you're trying to hang on as long as you can. Regardless of what time we have it's never enough. Our pets get treated like family because that's what they are, and that's why it hurts so bad to say goodbye. I wrote our vet a letter this morning thanking them, and I cried again, so that's 4 days in a row now and the day is young. I told my wife that I want her ashes in my office once they're returned, I'm just so used to her being with me that I want her in here with me. My wife bought my daughter a book about grief to try to help her, I should probably read it.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Sorry to hear that. It's never an easy decision.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Sorry to hear that. It's so hard. We dont deserve dogs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.