Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anxiety, Depression, OCD

27,649 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by KSBogey
jczar03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After starting this thread early this year, my daughter seems to finally be doing really well! She is currently substitute teaching until she finds a permanent position, hopefully in second grade which seems to be the grade she enjoys the most. With normal weight of about 120 lbs. and after being as low as 88 lbs., she is currently around 130 lbs. She is constantly interacting with family and friends again like she used to. She seems to finally be on the right combination of medications.

It was a really tough 3-year battle for her, but she seems to be on the right path now. She is dealing well with all the day-to-day challenges and stresses. For example, her psychiatrist who she really connected with and liked unexpectedly passed away in September.

I think the ultimate key here was the genetics testing which showed she had been prescribed all the wrong medications. I pray this update gives those reading this thread some hope!
billyjack2009
This makes my heart happy. Thanks for updating.
pinkdog
Wow, thanks for sharing your story and that's great news!! Your story does help others, so you're helping some people you don't even know about.
Awesome weight gain. I know she's got to feel a lot better both mentally and physically.
Max Power
AG
That's great news, truly happy to hear she's in a good place these days. Your role as a parent that refused to give up on her I'm sure had a huge part to play in her coming out on the other side.
dovato
jczar03 said:

After starting this thread early this year, my daughter seems to finally be doing really well! She is currently substitute teaching until she finds a permanent position, hopefully in second grade which seems to be the grade she enjoys the most. With normal weight of about 120 lbs. and after being as low as 88 lbs., she is currently around 130 lbs. She is constantly interacting with family and friends again like she used to. She seems to finally be on the right combination of medications.

It was a really tough 3-year battle for her, but she seems to be on the right path now. She is dealing well with all the day-to-day challenges and stresses. For example, her psychiatrist who she really connected with and liked unexpectedly passed away in September.

I think the ultimate key here was the genetics testing which showed she had been prescribed all the wrong medications. I pray this update gives those reading this thread some hope!
great to hear!
Tailgate88
AG
Really great news that the OP's daughter is doing well!

I happened to hear this podcast the other day. The host has suffered from anxiety her entire life and she interviews a guy who is one of the leading researchers in anxiety out there. She seems to make some breakthroughs for herself during the course of the interview.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-truth-about-anxiety-and-how-to-heal-it-tools/id1646101002?i=1000582487785
Fenrir
Just curious if you had any more details on the genetic testing now?
jczar03
AG
I'm not a genetics expert, but i can share what I've been told and experienced.

A friend's teen daughter was experiencing depression. There were no improvements in her condition over several years. They met with many different doctors and tried many different treatments. A doctor finally had the MTHFR gene tested and they discovered that her body had a problem breaking down vitamin C. They gave her a special type of vitamin C and she seemed to be immediately cured.

I was finally able to get the doctors to test my daughter's genetics and they determined that she had been prescribed all the wrong medications for the prior 3 years, including several of the most common medications most have heard of and are generally prescribed. She now seems to be taking the right combination of meds, is functioning normally, has her confidence back and is enjoying life again.

Genetics testing may also reveal certain things possibly best unknown, so the doctor needs to be careful on communication. For this reason, we have not requested and currently do not plan to request any additional information on the genetics testing. Her psychiatrist has this information.

I hope this helps!
10andBOUNCE
AG
My wife also had genetic testing done to identify which drugs would be the most effective for her. She has not started any medication but at least has a good starting point if that is the path she wants to go down.
Fenrir
Thanks, good info.
Max Power
AG
Just wanted to check in with the holidays coming up on us soon and see how everyone is doing.

I've been struggling recently to be honest. The combination of work being crazy, the upcoming holidays, and family stuff has been tough.

Though I joined a men's soccer league I basically had to give it up because it was destroying my knees. The constant starting and stopping did not cooperate. Also the schedule was tough because the games were pretty late at night. I had been searching for something to take the place and was having difficulty because of my late work hours made it impossible to do just about anything health/exercise in a group. I had basically hit a wall and it was impacting other things in my life, I didn't know what else to do.

The one thing I could find nearby that I could make for a work schedule that concluded at 7:00 pm was jiu jitsu. I have no experience in the slightest in anything combat wise, zero. I just decided that desperate times call for desperate measures and I went to my first class last night. I was terrible at it, of course, which I expected but the staff and members were all friendly. It was a rough workout, but it allowed me to completely empty my mind for an hour. It might have been exactly what I needed. The person I was partnered with was much bigger and more experienced than me but he was also a good partner to have. It was nice to be out of the house and I didn't even know if I could make myself walk into the building in all honesty. This is as far outside of my comfort zone as I could get, but I went. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I didn't at least try. It's been a while since I was proud of myself for trying something regardless of outcome. I decided to sign up, I might only be able to train twice a week right now, but I'm at the very least going to see how it goes and if I want to continue.

It's just good to reinforce that I know I have to be an active participant in order to change my mental perspective. Sometimes when you feel at your lowest the worst part is not knowing where to start. I guess fighting literally might help the fight metaphorically.
CC09LawAg
FWIW, I have heard nothing but good things from many, many people regarding anxiety, depression, etc. and BJJ. Stick with it and I think you'll be surprised with the changes it could bring.
Fenrir
Normally this time of year is pretty stressful for me but I've been working on focusing only on things I can control and not worrying about the rest. Not easy for me but getting into mindfulness has helped and knowing how to stop and reset when I start down a path has been a big help.

Your post has got me into looking at BJJ near me. I'm not up for it yet but once I get my weight closer to where I want it to be I definitely like the idea of it (and looks like there are a couple of places close to me). Going to add that to my to-do/goal list.
pinkdog
Good for you, trying something new. As far as managing GAD I think I've found that jumping in and trying different things has helped a lot. Some things work, and some don't; but at least you tried and now you know what's helpful.
Being injured and laid up where I can't exercise like I want to still seems to exacerbate things and I'm still trying to navigate that.
Adverse Event
Max Power said:

Just wanted to check in with the holidays coming up on us soon and see how everyone is doing.

I've been struggling recently to be honest. The combination of work being crazy, the upcoming holidays, and family stuff has been tough.

Though I joined a men's soccer league I basically had to give it up because it was destroying my knees. The constant starting and stopping did not cooperate. Also the schedule was tough because the games were pretty late at night. I had been searching for something to take the place and was having difficulty because of my late work hours made it impossible to do just about anything health/exercise in a group. I had basically hit a wall and it was impacting other things in my life, I didn't know what else to do.

The one thing I could find nearby that I could make for a work schedule that concluded at 7:00 pm was jiu jitsu. I have no experience in the slightest in anything combat wise, zero. I just decided that desperate times call for desperate measures and I went to my first class last night. I was terrible at it, of course, which I expected but the staff and members were all friendly. It was a rough workout, but it allowed me to completely empty my mind for an hour. It might have been exactly what I needed. The person I was partnered with was much bigger and more experienced than me but he was also a good partner to have. It was nice to be out of the house and I didn't even know if I could make myself walk into the building in all honesty. This is as far outside of my comfort zone as I could get, but I went. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I didn't at least try. It's been a while since I was proud of myself for trying something regardless of outcome. I decided to sign up, I might only be able to train twice a week right now, but I'm at the very least going to see how it goes and if I want to continue.

It's just good to reinforce that I know I have to be an active participant in order to change my mental perspective. Sometimes when you feel at your lowest the worst part is not knowing where to start. I guess fighting literally might help the fight metaphorically.

BJJ is stimulating at all angles. Have thoroughly enjoyed the time spent and can't encourage it strongly enough.

Sheathed sword, meek Inheritance and all.
Robert L. Peters
Robert L. Peters
I have OCD. I'll have a work issues where I will beat myself up for hours, just ruminating over and over to convince myself I did it correct. It can be quite debilitating sometimes. I feel like the covid days has really made it worse
Adverse Event
What steps are you taking or will you take to improve your condition?

Do you have (or need) anyone to talk to about your predicament, professional or otherwise?

jczar03
AG
Hey Max, checking in to see how you are doing. You have friends here that you don't even know about!
Max Power
AG
Things are going pretty well, when I go to class tonight it will be the start of week 4 of BJJ. I'm still terrible, but I embrace it, I knew I would be bad. I am enjoying being in a group learning something like this that can only be learned by experiencing it first hand. It's good to be amongst people as well when I spend 10-11 hour days working from my home office. It's also an insanely good workout, and I exercise most days. After a bad day at work it really helps me clear my mind. I think it's helping me with my anxiety as well. One of the reasons I'm doing this is because I've watched enough BJJ videos to pick up that the best people remain calm, regardless of how precarious their situation is. They're able to slow themselves down when their brain is pumping adrenaline and they should be on the edge of losing control.

I'm optimistic that work will slow down for real in the next couple of weeks, working from 8-7 is killing me. One of the biggest issues is that I live in the Midwest and the sun is down at about 4:30, my brain is telling me to get off the clock but I have more to do. I get paid for the time but it's a grind. I normally only have to work like this during the summer, but in the summer the sun is out well past when I'm done working. I try to get outside during lunch but sunlight can be hard to come by these days.

After work slows down I plan on taking 4 classes a week because I'll be able to get to the 6:30 classes on tuesdays and thursdays.

I'm not joking when I say that if I can do this anyone can, and I highly recommend it to anyone regardless of mental or physical health, but especially anyone struggling mentally. The ability to put yourself in a situation completely out of your comfort zone can have significant benefits. It's also an incredibly positive environment at my gym. People want to help you get better, no one makes you feel like you made a mistake by going out on a limb to try this. There's also a sense of pride that comes with it, even when you suck at it. One of the best things I heard that helped me walk through the door was "the white belt is the hardest belt to get, it requires more mental strength and humility than any belt that follows." That didn't make any sense to me when I heard it, but I get it now. The hardest class is your first class. I'm not even the newest guy anymore, which is progress.

I'm still stressed about the holidays but it's manageable. Thanks for asking how I'm doing by the way. I hope you, and everyone lose around here, is doing well.

I will say to everyone else in a tough place mentally that feels like it's hopeless to really look at your situation and try to figure out a way up and out of the hole. Keep fighting, keep looking for a way forward. I've been quite open about my struggles here and can attest at the difficulty in feeling stuck and the fact I have a sense of optimism and even pride is really saying something. Don't stop moving.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Does anyone know of a good anxiety treatment place in Austin? I'm struggling.
Robert L. Peters
Adverse Event said:

What steps are you taking or will you take to improve your condition?

Do you have (or need) anyone to talk to about your predicament, professional or otherwise?

I meditate. I study Buddhism. Try to live mindfully. I've also done a little bit of CBT, but I everything I learned about CBT was either a piggyback off Buddhism or stoicism.

The difficult part isn't knowing what TO DO but actually being able TO DO IT when the issue comes up. I've got a great tool box, but don't use it. Often it seems that ruminating is the answer and when it is successful, that just reinforces the urge.
Adverse Event

Foods for thoughts
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
Builder93
AG
This was an interesting podcast about mental health I listened to yesterday.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6GEZVm18mwx76rWJueFHGj?si=10e4cad385474ba7&nd=1
Max Power
AG
Holidays are over, I made it through and hopefully everyone is doing well. Things are going decent at the moment at work, it's slowed down, just some of year stuff I'm knocking out.

I've been sticking with BJJ, going 3 times a week except when the midwestern weather causes a closure. It's really been helping, I can't think of a truly bad mental health day since I've been attending and it's been over 2 months now. Every time I get ready and drive to class I feel nervous, but after I'm there for a while that all disappears and by the time class is over I'm so happy that I went. Having been there for over 2 months now I've had the chance to partner with almost everyone in my class at least once so I don't feel like I'm in class with a bunch of strangers anymore. I'm still terrible, but some of the lessons are sticking and even though I lose almost every time I'm at least able to make it hard on my partners when it used to be easy for them. I'm thankful and proud I had the guts to go in there the first time, and just keep going. I wish I had found this much earlier in my life, but if I had, maybe I wouldn't have the same gratitude that I have for it now. This has been helping me so much, I can't recommend doing this or something similar enough to people with mental health struggles. I can't tell you the last time I felt prideful about myself in any way, it's foreign to me.

My wife and I had a conversation the other day because she always feels stressed about trying to figure out when to go see friends and family back in TX. I told her to stop worrying about including a trip there during the year from now on. I'm officially done with spending the time, money, and effort to visit my family and friends who don't believe my family is worth visiting. If my mom, dad, or anyone else wants to see us they can do what we've been doing for all these years because we're done putting others first. We want to spend our time, money, and effort trying to do things that we all enjoy and hopefully my kid remembers. I've spent too much of my life putting others in front of myself. I've had such a lack of self worth for so long that I felt like it was my job to go to everyone else, and it's not.

I hope everyone is off to a decent start of the year so far, I want 2023 to be better than 2022 was.
Adverse Event
Proud of you man. Keep up the work.
CC09LawAg
Hell yea man! Excellent work.
jczar03
AG
A lot of what has been discussed on this thread was recently addressed by a Baylor College of Medicine event. Particularly, I found it interesting and encouraging that psychedelics was mentioned.

"While the COVID-19 pandemic negatively impacted the mental health of countless Americans, it also spurred more people to work toward improving their psychological well-being. Baylor College of Medicine's role in producing trailblazing mental health research and treatments from telemedicine and genetics to psychedelics and neurotechnologies was the focus of the latest installment of Baylor's On the Frontline event March 2."

Max Power
AG
I recently started listening to the Shawn Ryan podcast. He's a former SEAL and his guests are mostly former special ops military guys. Guys that have really been through hell mentally and physically. A lot of these guys are really messed up by the time they get out. He's been pretty open about how psychedelics have helped him and some others as well. We are talking about some of the physically and mentally strongest guys on the planet that have been broken by trauma. Listening to some of them talk about how it's helped them is probably the strongest argument I've heard. Listened to the one he did with DJ Shipley the other day, he's a former SEAL Team 6 operator, and he laid everything out there, I couldn't do justice to what he's dealt with so I won't try, but if it helps guys like him come out on the other side it's about as much of a game changer as exists.

I'm in a good mental space these days but if I was a person that's tried everything and nothing worked I'd 100% consider it.
Adverse Event
Slowly the idea that "I'll try everything else first that big corporate can throw at me and then I'll try the ancient solution that humans have used for eternity".... just sounds... not irritating, but close.

But I get it, we are slowly breaking ENTRENCHED propagandized assumptions with immediate successes at little to no cost comparatively...

Baby steps.
What bitcoin’s detractors don’t understand is monetary economics, computer science, software engineering, network protocols, and electrical systems.

It ain't much, but it's honest Proof of Work.
Malibu
This is probably the zeal of the converted. I've always been active and I committed last year to getting in the best shape of my life to meet some running goals. Part of that lead me to doing hot yoga 3-4x per week as a way to work on flexibility and support muscles so that I could be a better runner. A funny thing happened while doing yoga. The intensity of the exercise, combined with a focus on breath work and coming back to your "why" when things in class are really difficult has put me in a place where I am honestly the calmest and least emotionally reactive to stress that I have ever been in my entire life. Exercise has always been a tool to relieve stress for me, but this is the first time it's been a tool to take control rather than to manage its symptoms.

All that to say, I think, eastern philosophy that connects breath to movement when doing difficult things is some thing that us Westerners should pay close attention to as a very useful tool to manage life. I like yoga for that, but I know that a lot of sports like BJJ do the same thing and I highly recommend finding breath/movement sport that works for y'all.
Max Power
AG
Admiral Adama said:

This is probably the zeal of the converted. I've always been active and I committed last year to getting in the best shape of my life to meet some running goals. Part of that lead me to doing hot yoga 3-4x per week as a way to work on flexibility and support muscles so that I could be a better runner. A funny thing happened while doing yoga. The intensity of the exercise, combined with a focus on breath work and coming back to your "why" when things in class are really difficult has put me in a place where I am honestly the calmest and least emotionally reactive to stress that I have ever been in my entire life. Exercise has always been a tool to relieve stress for me, but this is the first time it's been a tool to take control rather than to manage its symptoms.

All that to say, I think, eastern philosophy that connects breath to movement when doing difficult things is some thing that us Westerners should pay close attention to as a very useful tool to manage life. I like yoga for that, but I know that a lot of sports like BJJ do the same thing and I highly recommend finding breath/movement sport that works for y'all.
I don't know what the mechanism is but I think there's something to being in a physical activity that takes you into physical/mental distress. I don't think jogging or anything casual would do much. I've exercised regularly as long as I can remember. Before, and during my mental health struggles.

At the end of almost every BJJ class I have close to nothing left in the tank. If I have energy left I'll stay longer and do some more rolling. Sometimes I just gotta lay on the mats for a while to get to the point where I can get out of there. I've gotten to the point where I crave that feeling at the end of the class where I can barely grip my partner's gi, or push, or move. I want the tank empty when I leave. It helps that it's not cheap so I want to get my money's worth, I want to get the most out of it that I can.

I'm guessing a person can get to the same point I get to in class, but I've never been able to run or lift alone to push myself to the brink, having another person is key. That's where you have to go in my experience, anything short of that won't do it. I also think there's something to accepting you are not good at something and you know you'll probably lose when you walk in the door, but you go anyway.

For the record I'm still terrible, I don't want any of this to sound braggadocious, it would defeat the point of why I even go there. I'm 100% with you on breathing, that's the first hurdle I had to cross in class. If you panic, you are gassed in seconds, if you can't control your breathing you've already lost. How you breath directly impacts your mental state, and vice versa.
neronero
Thank you a lot for sharing your story. We all have to pay a closer look at our loved ones and see when they need help
Moral High Horse
Didn't break out in hives on our family trip last weekend like I typically do when I travel. Didn't even need to take benadryl either. Small victories I suppose.
Max Power
AG
Yesterday was rough. My daughter seemed to have woken up determined to fight about everything all day, on Mother's Day no less. It all came to a head while I was cooking dinner and my wife couldn't fight anymore and she left the house for like 20 minutes. I didn't know if she was going to come back when she left. Our daughter is probably the biggest stressor on my wife and I. She's almost never happy about anything, it's been that way for years, she's 7 years old. All she seems to want to do is fight, complain, and argue with us. She's also never remorseful, she even gets physical with my wife on occasion when she doesn't get her way. We don't get physical with her, I grew up in house where I was scared of my dad and I don't want her to live that way. I have concerns that she might be sociopathic, especially with her behavior toward my wife, she doesn't seem to think my wife and I are people, we don't know where this comes from. We tried family therapy years ago and my daughter would just sit there and play, not really interacting with the therapist.

My wife is displaying a lot of behavior I used to when I was at my lowest, but I don't think she's willing to get help. She's is constant pain from a surgery years ago that basically gave her constant migraines. She hates her job. Most of what we do in our free time during the week is for our daughter. School, soccer, dance, etc and she doesn't appreciate any of it and fights with us daily. We almost never have a good day, it's legitimately rare. It's like she's genetically predisposed to push back. It's not just testing boundaries, it goes well beyond that.

Her behavior makes us feel like failures as parents, and we don't know that there's anything we can do about it. We feel so lost as parents right now. I try really hard to keep this house together and it just feels like we are destined to be collectively unhappy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.