Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Low Testosterone

53,759 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 2girlsdad
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OasisMan said:

Regarding TRT,

Are y'all not concerned about the need for continued/lifelong TRT, teste atrophy, BPH, etc?
I'm not. I had primary gonadal failure, same as my brother and father, and why not just replace what my testes quit making. It isn't like they are going to decide to start cranking it out again for giggles at 50.

Aging sucks but modern medicine can help sustain us and replace what naturally tries to fade in many people. I see it the same as hypothyroid taking thyroid, type 1 diabetes taking insulin, etc.

It made a huge difference to everything for me. Energy, sex drive, weight, response to weight training. I feel better than I did in my late 20s.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tailgate88
AG
From one of my favorite content creators on IG.

BCSGrubber
AG
Does anyone have a rec for doc in west Houston/Katy area?
KidDoc
AG
Tailgate88 said:

From one of my favorite content creators on IG.

Good general advice but I did all this and it did jack squat for my T level.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Just turned 50 and scored 539 on my total testosterone test. Not sure if that is good or bad, but I lift heavy 5x/week and eat low carb/high fat and protein diet due to T1 Diabetes.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Good suggestions, but those percentage increases seem like absolute bs. Would definitely need sources.
BCSGrubber
AG
My levels have been between 100-185 for the last year with PSA of 0.3. I am close to pulling the trigger but would like to work with a doc in Houston that someone else has.
RC_57
AG
Monitoring this thread
CharlieBrown17
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Good suggestions, but those percentage increases seem like absolute bs. Would definitely need sources.

You mean you don't trust a 69% increase in Test
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I fully expected the next percentage given to be 420% when I read it
OutdoorAg
AG
I'm 50 and just had my level checked. My total T is 539 and my free T is 91. The doc said that my free T is borderline. I'm torn on what to do. Part of me says not to start TRT because my numbers aren't really bad. However, I do have several other symptoms such as: fatigue, trouble sleeping, moodiness, lower sex drive (I just chalked it up to not being 25 anymore). Just not sure what to do.
montanagriz
S

1hr 21 mark talks about a herb that can help with your free T and testerone levels. Google it and decide for yourself. I'm getting a testerone and free testerone test tomorrow and then I will start taking this supplement the next day. In 30 days I will retest
Buford T. Justice
AG
TRT would be a bad move for me.
Since I am married, I would have to fap like I was 14 again, and I just done have the time or the interest in 4:00a.m. sessions in the guest bathroom.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
OutdoorAg
AG
Well, I gave myself my first injection this morning. Let the journey begin. I know it's going to take a few more before I start to potentially notice a difference.
2girlsdad
I'm 41 and my levels are consistently in the upper 3's to 430 (get tested 2-3x/year). I lift heavy 4 days a week, take vitamin D, and around 23% bf but i don't sleep enough. So, I started clomid about 4 weeks ago and will get a test in a couple weeks to see the results. Read it can take 3-4 months to see real results so we'll see.
BCOBQ98
AG
Wow this has been going on for a while...

So clearly I was low.
11/12/2021 : Total 103, didn't have free done
12/03/2021 : Total 369, Free 63.6
04/21/2022 : Total 181, Free 34.6

Prescribed Clomid
8/19/2022: Total 1499, Free 314, Estradiol 91

Dr added Anastrozole 1x week
4/14/2023: Total 1204, Free 270, Estradiol 93

Dr upped Anastrozole 2x week
7/14/2023: Total 1213, Free 250, Estradiol 85

I have my next appt with Urologist in August will see what is next. My strength and muscle tone has greatly improved but I wouldn't say anything more than was in my 20/30's. Motivation and mood have improved slightly. Overall I see some improvement but this hasn't been a silver bullet.

I do need to lose some weight. In 2022 I got down to 210 but am now back to 225. A series of vacation binges, not eating as well, as well as not exercising as much. I'm working to reverse this but have been struggling and wonder if the extremely high estrogen levels aren't somewhat contributing, although, maybe I'm making excuses to myself LOL

tailgating hall of fame
What impact, positive or negative, has testosterone therapy had on your weight?
Pepper Brooks
AG
Your wife is either really happy or really annoyed at how frequent the propositions surely are now…
txyaloo
AG
tailgating hall of fame said:

These days, TRT makes me ravenous and my body comp stays pretty stable even when eating like a pig. It has leaned me out without a ton of exercise.

Labs last month had me at TT of 876 and free t of 21.7.

Personal experience says that depends on your SHBG and how quickly you convert T to E. When I was significantly fatter and had lower SHBG/higher E levels, TRT didn't provide any type of weight benefits.
tailgating hall of fame
txyaloo said:

These days, TRT makes me ravenous and my body comp stays pretty stable even when eating like a pig. It has leaned me out without a ton of exercise.
Labs last month had me at TT of 876 and free t of 21.7.
Personal experience says that depends on your SHBG and how quickly you convert T to E. When I was significantly fatter and had lower SHBG/higher E levels, TRT didn't provide any type of weight benefits.

Thank you for your response. I'm on my second week of therapy. Hoping it helps me lose a few pounds.
Chevy-Art
Tracking. Saved for later.
I have been reading a lot about TRT lately.
My female oncologist warned me against TRT because I may get "too much blood".
I am currently not on any medications or infusions. She is just monitoring.
BCOBQ98
AG
First rule of treating low-T is to not have a female doctor.
2girlsdad
Alright, been on clomid for ~2 months, and the testosterone took off! Before I was in the 400 range, got the test results back today and at 1014 (apparently they didn't test free this time so I will ensure it's done on the 6 month follow up).

I also noticed today when thinking if I feel different with higher T, and I noticed I'm not as fatigued post workout. I did a heavy squat workout today (15 reps with 320, 5x3 w/ 325 and last set with 10 reps) and then bench (10 reps with 240 and 4x6 225 close grip) and I barely feel like I worked out now. In the past, a workout like that would make me fatigued the rest of the day.

Of course the other noticeable is my boys are bigger and I wake up every morning at full salute.

I did start carnivore at the same time, and the urologist thinks that probably also contributed to the higher T.
wcb
AG

Zero. It was one of the primary reasons I tried it. Really frustrating.
trailrunner
AG
Thanks for the information everyone. Summary: I had been feeling like maybe I had low T symptoms developing. I'm a very fit 40s guy but noted recent decrease in exercise performance with muscle loss and weight gain no matter what I tried. I also had afternoon fatigue and brain fog. Anyway, my (female) PCP ran my Testosterone and it came back low. Will be starting with gel and recheck for symptom improvement labs in a couple of months.

Approx how long did it take to have symptom improvement for you all? I've seen about 3-4 weeks. Accurate?
2girlsdad
Why aren't people trying SERMs before exogenous testosterone? I figured I'd rather first get my body to try to increase T on it's own with a SERM before telling the body to give up.
OaklandAg06
AG
Because that's not how the body works. If your body determines that your androgen receptors are being activated, whether it is by SARMs or exogenous test or some other anabolic substance, it will tell your system to stop make testosterone because it thinks it doesn't need any more of it.

2girlsdad
I don't think we are talking the same thing. With a SERM, like clomid, luteinizing hormone is released telling your testes to make more testosterone. If your gonads are working but need a boost, then the SERM will just rev it back up (as in my case). Now, if they don't work, then you need exogenous. Why wouldn't anyone first see if a SERM works prior to exogenous testosterone? Is there a test to prove why you have hypogonadism?

I know guys in their 20's and 30's that went straight to the shot and never tried to first boost their natural production. Heck, my urologist was going to start injections right away and I told him I wanted to first try clomid (and thankfully so since the results are great and I don't need to take a shot once a week, just a25mg pill in the AM).
2girlsdad
I am still on Clomid but have noticed a reduction in libido and feel a little dull. I'm losing weight (down 25 lbs) but haven't lost any strength and a little stronger in some lifts. But that initial increase in libido and aggression (which wasn't out of control) has wained.

I'm aware that increasing testosterone can also increase estrogen, and while needed, too high can cause this problem. Has anyone had success on a SERM, like clomid, in combination with an aromatase inhibitor? I have a follow up with the urologist for blood work on 12/8, but want to do some research ahead of time.
PapaKilo
AG
2girlsdad said:

I am still on Clomid but have noticed a reduction in libido and feel a little dull. I'm losing weight (down 25 lbs) but haven't lost any strength and a little stronger in some lifts. But that initial increase in libido and aggression (which wasn't out of control) has wained.

I'm aware that increasing testosterone can also increase estrogen, and while needed, too high can cause this problem. Has anyone had success on a SERM, like clomid, in combination with an aromatase inhibitor? I have a follow up with the urologist for blood work on 12/8, but want to do some research ahead of time.

It's not uncommon to prescribe a low dose aromatase inhibitor as men have different reactions to Clomid. While it should be closely monitored with blood tests every couple of months, it can lead to a healthy spike in T as less T is converted to estrogen. Or so I'm told….
Farmer_J
2girlsdad said:

Curious how it's going with clomid. My dr suggested clomid if I want a boost in T. From what I've read, Clomid is a fertility drug, but there seems to be some debate about taking it long-term due to side effects.
2girlsdad
Testosterone is still in the 1000+ range after a year. It helped keep the muscle on, and actually gained some strength in squats, as I went from 242 to 207lbs.
Farmer_J
Thanks - any other side effects?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
If I was born with Pulmonary Stenosis and had an angioplasty done when I was 7 years old, is TRT still a safe option for me? I have never had any complications from it other than the medical procedure, was never held out of contact sports and have always had good check up when visiting the cardiologist. Had my bloodwork done a while back and my test was really low. Have done my best to correct everything I could since then "lifestyle" wise, but I still just feel constantly tired with a brain fog I can't seem to shake, as well as low libido.

Began working out regularly for the first time since HS and have dropped a lot of weight by eating better and regular exercise, I am down from 256# (I know, pathetic) to 210#. Still don't feel normal after making these changes over the last year. I need to get my bloodwork done again to see if the weight loss and lifting has upped my test any, but I still don't feel like it energy/sex drive wise. One of my good friends started TRT a year and a half ago and swears it has changed his life 1000% for the better.

Work as operator in the production side of O&G with a 9 day on 5 day off schedule. Up at 4 am to leave by 5 and home at 6:15 every day. Have two young kids that I feel like I have no energy to play with when I get home at the end of the day and it pisses me off.

I am 6'1.5" with 18% BF according to the InBody 270 scale at our work gym. Do I need to lose more weight before considering TRT so my body doesn't convert the exogenous test to estrogen/estradiol? I have read that if your body fat was too high that your test would be converted. Admittedly, I have only done some research, but it is overwhelming taking it all in and trying to wade through the BS that is Reddit. Looking for opinions from a community I trust a little more on whether I would be a good candidate for TRT or if I should avoid it since I have a heart condition.
Jack Klompus
AG
Had blood work done with my physical. Total T was 226. Also did thyroid bloodwork and awaiting that result and direction from Dr.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.