Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Summer 2018 Trail Running

12,685 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieOO
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wasn't in the cards this year, especially with a lot of other stuff on the calendar.

going to be missing a lot of the spectrum events this season. won't be at the game or wonderland either most likely.
RockOn
I didn't make it to Barkley either. Had entry for over a year, but got burnt out doing so much this year. Taking some time to rest and will be back at it for Athens Big Fork again. I love that race.
AggieOO
When is that one?
Aggietaco
AG
Completely understand.

Not a fan of the layout of the Game or the Circus, but I may volunteer for those. Planning to run Goodwater again, Saddleblazer, and will probably try the Govt Canyons and orienteering race.
AggieOO
Aggietaco said:

Completely understand.

Not a fan of the layout of the Game or the Circus, but I may volunteer for those. Planning to run Goodwater again, Saddleblazer, and will probably try the Govt Canyons and orienteering race.

I'll probably volunteer at circus. Will either run or volunteer at goodwater. Won't be at saddle blazer. Katie claimed govt canyon, but couldn't argue since she's been ok with me training for a 100. I'm on the fence about Aurora, mostly bc racing in Texas in May is usually miserable.
RockOn
ABF is the first weekend in January
RockOn
BFC registration is open and you need to register today to be in the lottery. Everyone else auto wait lists
tmtxco
AG
tmtxco said:

Here in our part of Colorado, our highs are in the mid-60's now and most runs above 10k feet will involve running across snow for the next month.

Most of my running this summer is going to be in RMNP, with the only races on the calendar being a couple of halves - Mt Evans Ascent and Pikes Peak Ascent.
Well, I went 0/2 on my races this summer. I had a work commitment pop up at the last minute with Mt Evans and I was in the middle of treatments for my Achilles during Pikes Peak Ascent.

I've been trying to fix the Achilles tendonitis/tendonosis in both heels for 18 months, mostly managing the pain rather than getting rid of it completely. I ended up getting amniotic stem cell injections + Piezoelectric impulse sessions done on my heels. After 4 weeks of no running, followed by a few weeks of single-digit miles, I'm slowly getting back in the swing of things. Being completely pain-free after a 4-mile run on Saturday was a first in a long time for me. Hopefully, I can maintain that as I get back to ultras sooner rather than later.
AggieOO
RockOn said:

BFC registration is open and you need to register today to be in the lottery. Everyone else auto wait lists

"Priority" lottery today for those who were on the wait list from this year. I threw my name in the hat again.
drivinwest
AG
Anyone doing Cactus Rose? I've done a few 50ks out there but this will be my first 50 miler on that course.
AggieOO
i got in to BFC. Have to accept or decline, but on the fence, as its the same weekend as a race my wife is hoping to do.
AggieOO
i got denied by the wife on BFC. Can't blame her, I already told her she could do Sky Island a long time ago. At the time, the 2019 dates for the races hadn't been announced.
clobby
AG
Anyone ever ran the Big Bend Ultra?
AggieOO
There are two now. One in the state park and one in the national.

I ran the one in the state park back when it was in the national park. Make sense?
AggieOO
Arkansas Traveller 100 is this weekend. I'm bib 178. "live" tracking is here:

http://www.runarkansas.com/ATUpdate.php

I'm not expecting the best time/finish, but I'll get through it. Training hasn't been great with the new baby, but it is what it is at this point. The weather is going to be warm and humid, which is the worst I could ask for, but that's out of my control. If I go under 24 hours, it'll be a good day for me.
coop-aero-06
AG
Good luck! Take some extra squirrels nut butter, and apply liberally!
AggieOO
Compression shorts this time.
Aggietaco
AG
Good luck! Had hoped I'd be able to come crew with you and spend some time in the natural state, but that will have to happen another time. I'll drink a beer for you at Duddley's this weekend.
sims05
AG
I'd recommend still using the nut butter or something else at the distance especially if it is going to be humid. Even with compression shorts I notice slight chaffing in the 12-15 mile range.
AggieOO
sims05 said:

I'd recommend still using the nut butter or something else at the distance especially if it is going to be humid. Even with compression shorts I notice slight chaffing in the 12-15 mile range.

I likely will, but I ran in compression shorts all summer in this humid BS weather we have in Austin. They've been tested at well over 12-15 miles.
RockOn
https://www.runarkansas.com/ATUpdate.php

Here's the live results for AT100. My old roomate is sitting 2nd F through 16 miles. (she dropped after mile 16)

One guy that I ran with DFL at the OT50 is sitting in 11th overall right now. He's either been training really hard is setting himself up for the most epic blowup ever. (EDIT it appears it was input error on the livetracking lol)
RockOn
Looks like OO has finished
dave99ag
Aggietaco
AG
Didn't know Steven and Thomas were running, hopefully you had a solid crew. Congrats on the finish!
AggieOO
Brutal day for me will post more later.
AggieOO
Sometimes the slowest times are the ones you are most proud of. I went into this race under-trained, partially due to life, and partially due to my own lack of motivation. I knew there was going to be potential of a long, hard day, but I had no idea what was in store. The race only had a 52% finish rate this year, and that didn't include the 20+ people who didn't even bother showing up. It was hot and humid. My stomach turned over and fought me for hours. There were periods of fog, where my headlamp was essentially blinding me, making it impossible to run. I went through the lowest of the lows, and I dug deeper than I ever have before. As I was struggling around mile 40, I caught up to a woman who was feeling as crappy as I was. We ended up chatting and then ran the rest of the race together, each sticking with the other as we hit lows. I did have one pacer (who I din't know prior to the race) who jumped in with us from mile 64-84, and his motivation and energy was priceless.

This was, by far, my slowest 100 miler, and over 4.5 hours slower than the first time I ran the AT100, but I fought through and got the finish. As the RD said before the race, "Finishing is winning."
The Pilot
AG
Great job man! Glad you found ppl to get you through those hard miles.

One of my good buddies just ran his first 100 and was trying to get me to commit to one. Hard pass for now.
BQ2001
AG
Congrats
trailrunner
AG
Bib 192 here. Great job man. It was a really tough day with the heat and humidity. Spent all day forcing myself to drink as much Tailwind as possible. I've paced there twice before and those were by far the toughest conditions. Congrats on the finish!
AggieOO
trailrunner said:

Bib 192 here. Great job man. It was a really tough day with the heat and humidity. Spent all day forcing myself to drink as much Tailwind as possible. I've paced there twice before and those were by far the toughest conditions. Congrats on the finish!
nice work! you had a solid time for the conditions. If I'd have known you were out there, I would have definitely said hi before/after the race.

did you have to battle the fog too or you did you miss it since you finished quicker? The stretch from Rocky Gap to Electronic was not runnable for us. That section is somewhat technical (for that course), and until the sun came up, we couldn't see the ground clearly with headlamps on. Turned off the headlamp and couldn't see anything, so it was a walk the entire way. Felt like that 6 miles to Electronic was the longest 6 miles ever.
trailrunner
AG
AggieOO said:

trailrunner said:

nice work! you had a solid time for the conditions. If I'd have known you were out there, I would have definitely said hi before/after the race.

did you have to battle the fog too or you did you miss it since you finished quicker? The stretch from Rocky Gap to Electronic was not runnable for us. That section is somewhat technical (for that course), and until the sun came up, we couldn't see the ground clearly with headlamps on. Turned off the headlamp and couldn't see anything, so it was a walk the entire way. Felt like that 6 miles to Electronic was the longest 6 miles ever.

Haha, yeah that is a tough stretch. No fog for me. That had to suck. One thing did happen in that area was that my pacer walked right over two copperheads. The second one jumped up his leg. I don't think it was a strike but a reactionary movement. It certainly jolted us awake though and we were much more attentive to the trail after that!

Overall I managed the heat issues during the day and had a good run/walk in the powerline sections but couldn't keep that going after Smith mtn and walked the long walk in after that. Congrats on the tough finish. Usually, those are the ones that I am most proud of.
AggieOO
interestingly, we came across copperheads two different times. The first one, I almost stepped on, but luckily my pacer saw it and grabbed me. I had completely forgotten about those until you said something.
AggieOO
Booked a room for may to do R2R2R again.
coop-aero-06
AG
Nice. I need to make plans to do that. There's just too many trails to run!
AggieOO
Worked out that we will be in Phoenix for a wedding already when our group of friends is going.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.