Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Summer 2018 Trail Running

13,433 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieOO
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm assuming Pete is the favorite again.

Pete's Strava. It's awesome to see the Strava side by side comparison with yourself and Pete.
coop-aero-06
AG
The Pilot said:

I'm assuming Pete is the favorite again.

Pete's Strava. It's awesome to see the Strava side by side comparison with yourself and Pete.
I would say so. However, there are 4 former Badwater champs in the field: https://www.irunfar.com/2018/07/this-week-in-running-july-23-2018.html

Pete, Zach Gingerich, Harvey Lewis, and Oswaldo Lopez.

And yeah, the side by side with Pete Kostelnick is humbling. Except that I've doubled his elevation gain for the year
AggieOO
Ronnie Delzer (from the woodlands) could be a dark horse. He won Rocky Raccoon this year.
cjo03
AG
AggieOO said:

Ronnie Delzer (from the woodlands) could be a dark horse. He won Rocky Raccoon this year.

had stomach issues early, so it'd be dark dark horse at this point from what I'm hearing :/
AggieOO
its a long race. The first year i was out there Jorge Pacheco was basically a dead man walking at about mile 100. He ended up winning.
The Pilot
AG
Anyone know if something happened with Pete?

A good chunk of runners have crossed the 42-mile marker but he hasn't.

Runner Tracking

Edit - looks like it was just a problem updating the times.
coop-aero-06
AG
The Pilot said:

Anyone know if something happened with Pete?

A good chunk of runners have crossed the 42-mile marker but he hasn't.

Runner Tracking
It looks like it was just slow to update. If you refresh your link, it has Pete in 3rd place through Stovepipe Wells (mile 42).
coop-aero-06
AG
Most of the runners are on the stretch between Stovepipe Wells and Panamint Springs right now for the heat of the day. That's a brutal stretch. I guess the whole race is brutal, but that stretch has the Towne Pass climb and the Panamint Valley. Ugh.

Sally McRae still hasn't checked in at Stovepipe. Hope it's just a tracking glitch. She's gotta be one of the favorites on the women's side.
AggieOO
I haven't been to the race since the start time change. Those sections at night aren't too bad, but has to be brutal in the heat.
coop-aero-06
AG
Pete DNF.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1726190663

He was running like a machine.
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

Pete DNF.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1726190663

He was running like a machine.
DNF'd before going up Father Crowley. That's a rough climb, but the view at the top is badass.

the AF pilots rip up through the canyon by the vista. Its pretty awesome.
RockOn
Got back this week from running up in Juneau. Covered about 56 miles with 19,500 ft of vert over 5 days. Their routes are no joke, but great views from the top.
RockOn

You might have seen the 2nd picture already if you follow certain people on social media. That's me 2nd left.
AggieOO
Guessing that wasn't random. Did you go to one of her running camps?
RockOn
We've hung out before, but ya Geoff Roes was hosting us in Juneau
coop-aero-06
AG
Tomorrow I am going to attempt to run from the Reno Arch in downtown Reno up to the summit of Mount Rose and establish a Fastest Known Time (FKT) on that route. It should be about 25 miles and all uphill, gaining around 6,700 feet. I'll try to post updates on social media throughout the day with the #RenoToRose hashtag. If my body still works tomorrow, I'll try to post some photos and a quick recap.
AggieOO
If you are going for an fkt, please don't post an update until you are done.
RockOn
OO, have a friend coming down to Austin from AR this week and weekend- shes a 50 & 100 miler - and is looking for some running partners or group runs. Anyone or any time/place I can direct her to?
AggieOO
What kind of mileage is she looking for? Trail, road, or doesn't care?
RockOn
Either road or trail - weekday runs 3-7mi and weekend 10+
coop-aero-06
AG
I guess it's official now: https://fastestknowntime.com/route/reno-rose-nv

If you click on the time of my run, there are links to my strava activity and other data from the run. What a fun day on the trails.
AggieOO
RockOn said:

i'll follow-up. Checking a few different groups to see what is going on this weekend.
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

If you click on the time of my run, there are links to my strava activity and other data from the run. What a fun day on the trails.
nice job!

since there's nothing for TH to summit, don't you technically own that one too?

since yours is the only time, was this already on the FKT site or did you have it added?

When does someone do the out-and-back?
coop-aero-06
AG
AggieOO said:

coop-aero-06 said:

nice job!

since there's nothing for TH to summit, don't you technically own that one too?

since yours is the only time, was this already on the FKT site or did you have it added?

When does someone do the out-and-back?
I suppose I would technically own the TH to Summit too.

And yes, so far I am the only person to have run this route so I had it added to the website. It feels a little bit contrived, but I thought it would be worthwhile to establish the route because I'm genuinely interested in seeing how fast it could be done, especially by some of the faster runners in our area.

There is a much more popular route to the summit which starts near the Mount Rose Ski Area. It's 5 miles up to the summit (10 miles round-trip). Here's the strava segment for that: https://www.strava.com/segments/4585968

I was talking to some other local trail runners, and it seems like there's not really a good consensus on where to draw the line between what should be an FKT and what should just be a strava segment. The standard 5 mile summit route that I just linked seems too short to warrant an FKT. But, on the other hand, it's the well-known route to the summit so maybe it should be documented as an FKT for better record keeping.
AggieOO
don't think there's really any official rules on what distance constitutes and FKT.

I noticed Guadalupe Peak in Guadalupe Mountains NP is listed on the site, and has a strava segment, but no one has submitted an official time. The segment is less than 5 miles.

I was mostly curious b/c I'm planning a route that is not on the site, but also not sure when I'll be able to do it. The person I was going to make the attempt with is likely moving out of state in October, so that kind of leaves things up in the air. We were going to do it in a similar spirit as your run. Just setting a time so that maybe it'll draw some attention.
coop-aero-06
AG
I will say that getting it on the website was surprisingly quick and easy. I submitted it yesterday around 5pm and it was online when I checked this morning. Maybe the fact that I had all the necessary pieces in place (gpx file, strava link, run report, etc.) it made the process pretty smooth.
AggieOO
nice. maybe i'll set an FKT of running around my block.
coop-aero-06
AG
You're obviously joking, but it does highlight the fact that you have to draw the line somewhere. As the FKT phenomenon becomes more popular, it will be interesting to see if any guidelines are developed.

What is the route that you are thinking of attempting later this year?
AggieOO
wouldn't be until next year. With the baby due (already past due), and doing the AT100 in october, I'm tapped out. Plus, need to do more research, and possibly even a scouting trip, as there are no water sources to filter from. Anyway, we are looking at the Guadalupe Ridge from southern NM to Guadalupe Peak. About 70 miles with roughly 16K feet of climbing, but the logistics will be a huge PITA.
coop-aero-06
AG
That sounds like an awesome route; definitely FKT worthy. Are there any reliable water sources along the route? Is there a particular time of year that would be better in terms of water access?
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

That sounds like an awesome route; definitely FKT worthy. Are there any reliable water sources along the route? Is there a particular time of year that would be better in terms of water access?

water faucets at roughly mile 4, 45, and about 63 (just before the final push up guadalupe peak ~1700ft in 3.9 miles). Nothing else reliable that i know of. Would likely need a cache via some pretty remote forest roads. Then after completion of the run, you have to hike back down from guadalupe peak.
AggieOO
RockOn said:

not coming up with much. Our group will be running the road crew from Rogue downtown on saturday. Technically paid groups, but there will be so many people, no one would know if she dropped in. I can bring someone, but I may or may not be there, depending on if the baby has come by then. If she wants to drop in, if anyone asks, she can just say she's new to town and wanted to check out some groups before joining.

Trail Roots will be running somewhere, but she'd need to email them to find out where and ask to join. Same with TrailZen.

If it were a more normal weekend for me, I'd just tell you to have her tag along.
RockOn
Thanks, I'll pass it along. My friend that lives in Austin said it's a weird week bc a lot of people raced Captain Karl's last weekend so her group wasnt running much. She recommended an all female running group which was also a paid group.

Are paid groups common in Austin? Everything is free in Tyler, people just take turns supporting but there's a lot less people I imagine.
coop-aero-06
AG
I don't think this has been brought up yet...

Pete Kostelnick, who just raced at Badwater, is now running from Kenai, Alaska to Key West, Florida, self-supported. He's pushing a stroller with his supplies and covering about 50 miles per day.

http://peninsulaclarion.com/sports/2018-08-03/run-pete-run-ohio-man-run-transcontinental-route-anchor-point-florida

Here's his strava, in case you don't already follow him: https://www.strava.com/athletes/16102568?oq=pet
AggieOO
RockOn said:

Thanks, I'll pass it along. My friend that lives in Austin said it's a weird week bc a lot of people raced Captain Karl's last weekend so her group wasnt running much. She recommended an all female running group which was also a paid group.

Are paid groups common in Austin? Everything is free in Tyler, people just take turns supporting but there's a lot less people I imagine.

Yes, most of the groups here are paid. Was a weird adjustment when we moved here 7 years ago. We tried a few free groups, but they weren't very good. Luckily, we get to join the paid rogue groups for free.

The women's group...tough cookies, I assume?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.