Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Summer 2018 Trail Running

12,751 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieOO
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really thought Bitter would be having a better day, but the 100 is so unpredictable.
AggieOO
14:30 for Jim. Wow!

That's an 8:42 pace, for reference.
The Pilot
AG
And he was stopped for 10 minutes because of a bear with cubs.
AggieOO
I was predicting about 30 mins off the course record. Couldn't understand why he had slowed so much until I saw that report.
coop-aero-06
AG
Oh wow, I hadn't heard the report about the bear until I read it here. I admit, I was fully expecting Jim to crash and burn. But I'm glad he got it done today.
c-jags
AggieOO said:

14:30 for Jim. Wow!

That's an 8:42 pace, for reference.

That's actually amazing. Trail pacing throws me way off.
RockOn
At the finish line Jim said it was only about 2 minutes for the bear delay
AggieOO
RockOn said:

At the finish line Jim said it was only about 2 minutes for the bear delay

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Jim pass three bears at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
AggieOO
Killian crushed the Bob Graham round record that had stood since 1982.
coop-aero-06
AG
Next weekend we have the Hardrock 100 (July 20-21) and the Tahoe Rim Trail 55k, 50 mile, 100 mile (July 21-22).

No Kilian at Hardrock this year, but there is a pretty stout elite field. Here's the irunfar preview: https://www.irunfar.com/2018/07/2018-hardrock-100-preview.html

I'll be running the TRT 50 mile race. Hoping to finish somewhere around 9:30-10:00 which might put me on the cusp of the top 10 based on previous results.
AggieOO
Good luck at TRT!

It's not trail, but badwater is right around the corner too.
coop-aero-06
AG
Here's a link for live tracking of TRT, for anyone interested.

https://ultrasignup.com/live/live.htm?dtid=28198
Aggietaco
AG
Good luck! I'll be eating donuts at my daughter's 1st b-day that weekend...

I've been itching to get out on the trails, but I've got some hip issue that I haven't quite figured out yet.
coop-aero-06
AG
For your trail running enjoyment.... A few training buddies of mine went out to Eastern Nevada and set the FKT on the Ruby Crest trail about a week ago. Here's a short video of their day.

AggieOO
looks like a cool trail. makes me jealous. I wish I had access to the trail/mountains you do.
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

I'll be running the TRT 50 mile race. Hoping to finish somewhere around 9:30-10:00 which might put me on the cusp of the top 10 based on previous results.
How are you feeling for this weekend?
coop-aero-06
AG
I feel ready. However, a quick trip to Vegas this past weekend, combined with being insanely busy at work since last Friday means that I haven't run a single step since Thursday morning. So I guess I'll be well-tapered.
coop-aero-06
AG
The leaders for Hardrock 100 are around mile 30. Xavier has a 2 mile lead over a small chase pack including Jeff Browning and Jesse Haynes.

Live tracking here: http://hardrock100.com/live.php
AggieOO
had it in my head that HR started tomorrow.

Badwater starts monday.

Good luck at TRT tomorrow!
GMM
Just finished our volunteer shift at Cunningham Gulch aid station...last station at mile 91. RD and all the higher ups showed up suspiciously before Thevanard arrived. They met with him and interviewed him for quite a while then finally made the decision to DQ him for taking aid outside an aid station 40 something miles prior.

Jeff Browning now leads, he had no idea he was the new leader, but Jeff Rome and Troy Howard in 2nd and 3rd knew. Also heard Browning say he had to back track 3-4 miles. All three were in/out of the aid station within 20-30ish minutes of each other.

Made it back to Silverton, should be an exciting finish!
c-jags
Good luck Coop!

I've decided I'm going to train for a 50k trail race this next year. I might start with the half marathon at Saddle Blazer.

Just haven't told my wife yet.
AggieOO
Sucks, but rules are rules.

https://www.fastrunning.com/running-athletics-news/hardrock-100-race-leader-disqualified-for-illegal-assistance/17818
AggieOO
At mile 19, coop is in 20th. Looks like there are a lot of people within a few mins of each other.
GMM
Yeah, it was very heartbreaking. After the RD made his decision, the girlfriend was begging and pleading with him to issue a time penalty instead of a DQ. She must feel horrible. He had about a 2 hour lead on Browning.

After they left, Dale the RD made an announcement to everyone there about what happened, and he was very emotional about it. I thought he was about to start crying.
c-jags
Not to detract from Cooper or the thread in general but I saw a coral snake on my trail this morning. Wouldn't get off until we threw a few sticks at it.

Beautiful little effers. Just want to remind everyone to always keep looking around on the trails!
AggieOO
Coop in 19th at mile 35.
Aggietaco
AG
I've seen several around town lately. Thankfully they are so damn colorful or I'd likely have stepped on a few. A rattler would do me in.
AggieOO
Coral snakes aren't a big deal. You have to really try to get bit by one, and even then, they may not bite. Rattlers are the ones to worry about.
c-jags
AggieOO said:

Coral snakes aren't a big deal. You have to really try to get bit by one, and even then, they may not bite. Rattlers are the ones to worry about.

Yeah. It was very lethargic. I know that about them but he was right in the middle of the trail and we weren't in a place to turn around.

We had to toss 3-4 sticks to get him to skidaddle. Very cool to see as I've never seen one before today.
sims05
AG
Mile 43 in 27th.
AggieOO
25th. 11:07.

I know it's not what he wanted to run, but it's a tough course.
coop-aero-06
AG
Thanks for the support, everyone. I didn't have the race that I though I was capable of today. Stomach issues flared up again and I pretty much hiked the ten mile stretch from mile 35 to 45. I don't really know what the issue is. I ate the same dinner, breakfast, and race day foods that I did at my last 50 miler two months ago. I guess some days just aren't your day.

That's awesome that you were able to volunteer at Hardrock, JTT. I've camped at Cunningham Gulch before and I definitely want to go back there for Hardrock weekend.
AggieOO
Badwater starts today!
Aggietaco
AG

coop-aero-06
AG
Yes, indeed.

Badwater starts tonight at 8pm PDT. Tracking here: http://dbase.adventurecorps.com/results.php?bw_eid=85&bwr=Go

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.