Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Summer 2018 Trail Running

12,767 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieOO
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Meant to post this a few times and never got around to it. I've been loosely following.
coop-aero-06
AG
I'm running the Waldo 100k this weekend. Hoping to get my first WS100 qualifier. I don't think there's any tracking for this race.

The Castle Peak 100k is also taking place this weekend. We volunteered out there last year. If you want a rugged, challenging 100k, I would recommend checking out Castle Peak. I've also heard great things about Waldo, but I'll hold off on recommending it until I make it to the finish line on Saturday.
AggieOO
Good luck!
AggieOO
Leadville is this weekend too.
AggieOO
Waiting....
coop-aero-06
AG
AggieOO said:

Waiting....

Got it done! 14:26. I felt pretty good for most of the race, except that my legs were pretty dull at the start.

I ran out of water as a summited the last peak at mile 52, and it was another 2 miles to the next aid. When I got there, I ate and drank too much too fast. I ended up having my first race puke session about 0.25 miles later. From there until the end I just took it pretty easy, not wanting to completely bonk and DNF.

I would definitely recommend this race though. Aid stations and volunteers were awesome and the scenery was amazing.
c-jags
Nice job coop. Your strava pics looked like a lot of fun.
AggieOO
Guess I should have checked Strava. Haven't been uploading my runs recently. That's about the only time I check in on other people. Congrats!

In Leadville news, I knew 6 people running, all six good runners, and all six dnf'd. All happened at hope pass or the following aid station.
coop-aero-06
AG
Sorry to hear about your friends at Leadville. I had one acquaintance who ran around 29 hours. And I saw that Jason Koop, the author of "training essentials for ultrarunning" and the coach of several elites, ran 19 hours. That's blazing fast for Leadville.
AggieOO
Leadville tracking was messed up. At least two of the people I know finished.
c-jags
I know a guy running. Haven't seen his strava upload. I'll have to text him tomorrow.
bushytailed
AG
Posting here so not to start another thread.

Anyone have any experience with The Circus? I'm looking at the 30k and am curious about what the trails are like at McKinney Roughs. How technical are they? The most I've done on a trail is a 25k at Millican. (have run three road marathons). Any feedback is appreciated.
AggieOO
Very non-technical. Very little single track. Never been to millican, but McKinney roughs only has a few short sections that I'd say are a little technical. Most trail is about 6 foot wide, mix of dirt and gravel. There are stretches of flat running mixed with steep climbs, though none are super long, other than the climb to the high point.

If it rains, its sloppy. Very, very sloppy.
champagnepapi
AggieOO said:

cjo03 said:

It's not too hot in Oregon. I know someone that lives up there with an extra room.

Does that person pay airfare and give me a note to excuse me from the pregnant wife?

Look into the Habanero 100! Hosted by Trail Racing Over Texas!

Hottest race in Texas!
coop-aero-06
AG
The Castle Peak 100k in Truckee, CA was just granted status as a WS100 qualifier for the 2020 Western States.

https://www.sierrasun.com/news/sports/castle-peak-100k-hits-record-numbers-earns-western-states-distinction/

That might have to be my qualifier next year.
AggieOO
champagnepapi said:

AggieOO said:

cjo03 said:

It's not too hot in Oregon. I know someone that lives up there with an extra room.

Does that person pay airfare and give me a note to excuse me from the pregnant wife?

Look into the Habanero 100! Hosted by Trail Racing Over Texas!

Hottest race in Texas!
absolutely no desire to do it. Dumbest race in texas, and this has nothing to do with my dislike for TROT.
AggieOO
so if i don't get into WS again this year, you got a room for me for Castle Peak?
coop-aero-06
AG
Possibly. You might be sharing a room with baby coop.
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

Possibly. You might be sharing a room with baby coop.
good news is, I'm already practicing!
champagnepapi
AggieOO said:

so if i don't get into WS again this year, you got a room for me for Castle Peak?

TROT just released their 2019 line up and it includes a beach race too! And if you can't handle the Habanero 100 I understand! Runners come in all shapes and sizes. Many of TROT's races offer 10k through 200 Miles!

AggieOO
Sand/beach running? Yeah, you can keep that.

Ultra expeditions has one of those too. No thanks.

I'm flying down to south Padre tomorrow for work meetings. Not looking forward to running at all this week.
GMM
Anyone watching UTMB?

Pretty stacked field.
coop-aero-06
AG
Jonathan Taylor Thomas said:

Anyone watching UTMB?

Pretty stacked field.

Trying to follow a little bit. I'm on vacation this weekend so I'm not following as much as I otherwise would.
AggieOO
Last I saw Zach Miller was in the lead and kilian dropped. Walmsley in 2nd I think.

Magda was leading on the women's side, but haven't seen an update in awhile.
GMM
Walmsley having a rough time. He fell way back. Was like an hour and a half off the lead. Same thing happened to Magda I think. Chaverot was leading the women.

Zach and Xavier are pretty much co-leaders now. Group of 3 or 4 within striking distance behind them includes Tollefson.
coop-aero-06
AG
Sounds like a really rough day out there.
RockOn
Sounds like a bloodbath. People were DNFing via helicopter. Cat Bradley looks like death crossing the finish line.
RockOn
Kyle Curtin wins the Tahoe 200 with Courtney Dauwalter right behind him. Both were close to each other and well ahead of anyone else.

Ben Light finished the Wasatch 100 then flew to Tahoe and is currently at mile 77 of the 200. The person in front of him is at mile 117.2

I've got 3 friends running it and all are around mile 128-140 and still moving. Cool stuff.
AggieOO
200s are interesting, but definitely not anything I'm interested in going to do. Courtney is an absolute machine.

Have a few friends that have run Tahoe, and one who is running moab this year.
AggieOO
Got the email to register for last-minute entry for Barkley fall classic. If it wasn't for the newborn, I'd be in my way, Florence be damned.
coop-aero-06
AG
I was hoping to make it up to Tahoe to spectate a little bit, but I've been swamped at work recently. I'm honestly surprised that Courtney didn't win the race overall.
Aggietaco
AG
Since I finally have something to contribute... ran the short race at Sky Island this past weekend. After struggling through some illness and injury issues this year, as well as still trying to figure out how running fits into parenthood, the 25k treated me fairly well. No real plan, no goals, and 20+ pounds heavier than I was at the 50k in 2016 but had a blast and finished 21 out of 120ish that started.

I'll continue to encourage anyone that is interested to make the trip to Davis Mountains SP for this race or on your own to explore.
AggieOO
From the pic on IG, figured you hiked the race with the little one on your back.
Aggietaco
AG
AggieOO said:

From the pic on IG, figured you hiked the race with the little one on your back.
Did a little pre-race scouting to find an LTE signal and face time with the grandparents. Weather was great on Friday, turned cold and wet Saturday morning for the race.
Aggietaco
AG
And you should have made the trip this year. Things were much simpler when Aggietaquita didn't sprint in every direction without notice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.