Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anxiety

36,181 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by azul_rain
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jim. I would recommend seeing a nutritionist for sure. But not just any nutritionist. My brother had stomach problems and saw one. She helped him tremendously and it changed his life. He is back to normal now as he knows what foods to avoid. PM me or post your email address and I will send you the info. Where are you located?
Jim01
AG
[Email redacted]

I'm in Friendswood, southeast suburb of Houston.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Good deal. She is located in Houston. Email sent.
Jimmy Conway
Glad to find this thread and see that others are dealing with something that has also now come at me from left field completely.

My story:

For about a year now I have been having these episodes of right when I fall asleep I'll have a nightmare or hear some small noise and be jolted awake with intense anxiety or adrenaline going to my heart. This happened like 2-3 times per week. I read online that these are called hypnic jerks and are fairly common. Ok, so I got the answer to that.

But then about 2 weeks ago I woke up one day and started to feel anxiety over the smallest things. And I have zero clue where it came from. My marriage is better than its ever been, my kids are good, business is great, my family and friends relationships are the same/good as they've ever been. Everything started setting my anxiety off. My phone ringing, text messages, people walking into my office, my wife or kids walking into the room while I'm watching TV. I mean every little thing was making me nervous. It was the same feeling of anxiety and adreniline rush to my heart (imagine feeling shocked at some news or getting really bad news and your heart sinking) over and over again. For about a week I was averaging like 12-15 of these moments a day and at night I had gone from those hypnic jerks being 2-3 times per week to it happening 2-3 times a night (which I'm sure is not good for my heart) Every little noise in the room was waking me up in shock. I visited with my Dr and he did an EKG and chest Xray and nothing came up. He put me on .5mg of Lorazapam. The nights were the worst as the thought of my sleep issues was causing me further anxiety.

The last few days has been a little better as I have learned to breathe ahead of knowing some instance of anxiety might be coming up. I'm only using the Lorazapam at night to sleep but the one night I chose to skip it and give melatonin a chance instead, I was completely miserable and up all night almost. I'm trying my best to not use it much and at most its once a day for me at .5. I am now sleeping separately from my wife in a room with lotsa noise (fan at high, and AC up high) ongoing so I can't hear any other noises that might shock me awake.

Its just weird thought that this has come at me out of nowhere. I'll say this....while there have been no real major changes in my life in the last few weeks I have changed one thing in my routine. I have taken up weight lifting about 3 weeks ago. I know that goes the opposite of what people say that working out should HELP my anxiety but that is the only thing I can point to that has really changed in my life. Is there any chance that weight lifting has contributed to this? I usually lift in the mornings so not late at night. I have cut out all caffeine btw.

Sorry for the long post but I'm honestly pretty freaked out over all this and you never think things like this will happen to you, but they can. I'd love to hear any suggestions or similar stories where people say this happened as a temporary thing in their lives and it eventually passed.
aggie_fan13
AG
Best of luck, my anxiety has not acted up at all. But I do get a bit depressed every now and then. I haven't been on any meds as I'm trying to avoid them. My sleep however has been atrocious, I'm taking unisom daily when I go to sleep and if I don't im up all night tossing and turning. The lack of sleep has hurt me function with daily activities
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Have you tried. melatonin?
aggie_fan13
AG
Yeah, it just makes me drowsy. I've been using unisom lately
94chem
After we lost our home to Harvey, my wife got cancer, my son ran away, two of my other children started having severe medical problems, and I was having trouble getting the right care for my other permanently disabled child, the additional stress of my full time job began to weigh on me a bit. So, at the urging of my wife, I visited our local pill-pusher. First the PA came in and plied me with questions...sleeping okay, not gaining or losing weight, thinking clearly at work, no mood swings...

Failing to paint me as a basket case, she called in the head shrink, who basically peppered me with the same questions for another 10 minutes. All the time, I'm thinking, "I don't need drugs. I just need a nanny, a personal valet, and a healthy spouse." The doc was apparently of the same mind, but after wasting so much of his valuable time, he figured he should write me a scrip for some Lexapro. I filled it, took it for 2 weeks, and confirmed that it did not, in fact, cause my contractors to work harder, write any of my technical reports, or even perform my son's orthopedic surgery. It did, however, cause the horrific symptom that has been alluded to earlier in the thread.

So, I threw the garbage away, and end of story, right? NO. Turns out I just got off the phone with USAA. With 6 children, I had realized that it's going to take a few more years for me to become self-insured, so I decided to extend my life insurance by 5 years. Long story short, they raised my rate by 80% because of the Lexapro. I basically said "screw you," and hung up the phone.

So, I hate to break it to you, but if you've ever had a prescription for any of this stuff, you can forget about your blood work, your BMI, your drug/alcohol/nicotine usage, or any of that. You're not getting reasonable life insurance.

If you really think you need the stuff, I recommend trying it first from a friend so there's no paper trail. People who take this stuff usually have bottles and bottles of extra meds around because the shrink has to keep trying different stuff to see if anything works.
aggie_fan13
AG
Damn best of luck in your situation you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Groundislava
I'm not a doctor but I highly suggest Gabapentin 800 mg (split into 1/2) for anyone who's dealing with anxiety. It's prescribed to treat seizures and pain caused by shingles but it can be prescribed off-label for anxiety. It's a non-narcotic and there's no withdrawals so it's a pretty safe drug. I'm also prescribed .5 mg of xanax but I rarely need it because of gabapentin. I can function perfectly fine at work and i don't ever feel drowsy. Just relaxed and almost Zen-like. It's worth asking your doctor about.
BB675
AG
I have been suffering from anxiety for the past 2.5-3 years. The anxiety I suffer from is mainly agoraphobia and the fear of the fear. Basically, when I am X miles away from home my anxiety is heightened. It has been rough as I have skipped a few vacations and haven't taken my family anywhere in years.

I have deliberately chosen not to take any medications as antidepressants have been recommended. I have heard too many horror stories (also success stories) and don't like relying on a chemical. I keep a bottle of Xanax with me when I travel but have never taken one, just keep them for emergencies (and I feel safe with them).

I am doing night and day better than I was a year ago. Some things I recommend are Magnesium (I take Natural Calm everyday), the DARE method (book and app), exposing yourself to your fears even though that sounds crazy and being open with friends and family about your anxiety.

Even though I am better than I have been in the past few years, I'm still not quite where I want to be. I still struggle with driving because I fear that I will have a panic attack in the middle of nowhere or on the road with no where to go. What I am working on right now is accepting that wherever I have a panic attack is ok and I will work through it. For instance, the outcome will be the same if I have a panic attack at my house vs on the road.

Anxiety is a pain in the ass that not many can relate to but can easily be defeated! Keep on pushing and face your fears daily if possible.
aggie_fan13
AG
I agree with the keeping the xanax on you at all times, helps knowing I have an emergency go to if an attack comes. Helps ward off the anxiety knowing I have it
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

exposing yourself to your fears even though that sounds crazy and being open with friends and family about your anxiety.

This is perhaps the single greatest factor in my recovery. We have deceived ourselves to think when we expose our weakness that others will run away. However, I have only been more accepted and more loved.

The devil is a sneaky creature.
TexAgsSean
AG
cloeren13 said:

I have been suffering from anxiety for the past 2.5-3 years. The anxiety I suffer from is mainly agoraphobia and the fear of the fear. Basically, when I am X miles away from home my anxiety is heightened. It has been rough as I have skipped a few vacations and haven't taken my family anywhere in years.

I have deliberately chosen not to take any medications as antidepressants have been recommended. I have heard too many horror stories (also success stories) and don't like relying on a chemical. I keep a bottle of Xanax with me when I travel but have never taken one, just keep them for emergencies (and I feel safe with them).

I am doing night and day better than I was a year ago. Some things I recommend are Magnesium (I take Natural Calm everyday), the DARE method (book and app), exposing yourself to your fears even though that sounds crazy and being open with friends and family about your anxiety.

Even though I am better than I have been in the past few years, I'm still not quite where I want to be. I still struggle with driving because I fear that I will have a panic attack in the middle of nowhere or on the road with no where to go. What I am working on right now is accepting that wherever I have a panic attack is ok and I will work through it. For instance, the outcome will be the same if I have a panic attack at my house vs on the road.

Anxiety is a pain in the ass that not many can relate to but can easily be defeated! Keep on pushing and face your fears daily if possible.

Agoraphobia is a pain in the ass. Traffic jams, flying, boats, or even instances where I'm not driving cause my anxiety to peak. I have to plan out and think about everywhere I go just to avoid it. Hopefully you're able to overcome it or at least cope with it.
SlimM
AG
Wow, it's great to read about everyone's experiences. I have small parts in common with so many of them.

Mine will start with getting really anxious about something that wouldn't effect most people.

That will lead to a pain in my stomach (not unbearable, and not a "sick" feeling, but definitely REAL and uncomfortable.)

Then I will get anxious about the pain, which makes the pain worse. I see a gastro and he did all the tests he could possibly do, and everything's apparently okay.

Just knowing that lessens my pain almost immediately, but if enough time passes and then something stresses me out enough, the stomach/abdominal pain will come back and then I'll start to question if maybe something new is happening down there. I'm a mess!

I know you're supposed to subject yourself to the things that make you feel this way, but it's really hard with this stomach pain that accompanies it. Because I don't sleep well when it's happening, and the lack of sleep probably just makes everything worse. It's a weird, horrible downward spiral.

Even if nobody reads this, it was cathartic to type out. Thanks for reading!

P.S. I love that Jason Isbell song. Thanks for posting.
Jimmy Conway
I know at least one other poster above suggested it, but have any others of you tried Magnesium to control anxiety? I'm reading all sortsa testimonials online from people who swear they see a night and day difference by incorporating a magnesium supplement. I'm actually going to start taking some tonight and can maybe report back in a few days or weeks.

My anxiety had all but disappeared for about 3 weeks but came roaring back this past week. Not sure what is setting it off.
Smokedraw01
Ive never had an anxiety attack but I get extremely anxious when I have too much time off, which is absurd for a teacher. So I work most of the summer and stay active and that does a fairly good job. I struggle the most during summer and around mid-November. I'm not sure why mid-November is a problem.

I've started meditating and focused on my breathing when I recognize what is going on. I'll give magnesium a try and hopefully I can achieve a healthy balance.

Good luck to you on your journey.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Can anyone recommend a good meditation app?
I would like to try to learn to meditate to help with anxiety and just overall health.
Thanks.
K Bo
AG
Calm
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Is anyone currently taking Cymbalta or have taken it in the past?
Vernada
AG
K Bo said:

Calm
Very good. I love Tamara Levitt.
Smokedraw01
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Can anyone recommend a good meditation app?
I would like to try to learn to meditate to help with anxiety and just overall health.
Thanks.

I use mindfulness.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
K Bo
AG
She's my favorite narrator
Hhilton82
AG
I'm on it. Have been for quite some time. If you recall we share the same doc.
JR2007
AG
Personally I've dealt with anxiety (which spirals into depression at times) since was very young. I've taken an SSRI for over a decade now, which helps with the underlying smoldering anxiety, but it still breaks through. I read a lot of anecdotal evidence of people dealing with anxiety, depression, or bipolar disorder who switched to a Keto, or even carnivore diet, with great success. A little over a year ago, I started a Keto diet and before the end of the first week, I knew there was something to this. Over the past year, I've never felt better. Sometimes I feel guilty for feeling so good, because I couldn't remember a life without crippling anxiety. I still take my SSRI, but now at the lowest dose and pretty certain I'll be able to wean myself all the way off. About 6 months ago I felt the anxiety creeping up a little and was worried that the effects of the diet were wearing off and was really bummed. On further examination, I realized my carb intake had creeped up, and now after getting that on track plus also doing at least 16/8 intermittent fasting, I'm back on track. This has been a life changer and I'll never go back.
bigtruckguy3500
Very interesting.
cityagboy
AG
I have been on a two year journey of figuring out how to deal with extreme anxiety and mild depression. It was a long road of placing blame on specific situations, people and work. None of those were the cause. It is good to make those things better but that didn't make the symptoms go away. Then I felt guilty for feeling bad when honestly my life is pretty good compared to most. After a long time of trying to figure out WHY I felt this way I started to work on how to deal with it instead, because I don't think there is one reason why.

I have a therapist who helps me with techniques on how to overcome panic attacks. I am on Wellbutrin and Lexapro. I also started working out regularly. Overall I am living a healthier life and focusing on listening to my mind and body when it says something g is wrong.

Two years of struggle but I am starting to feel like myself again, and I have built a better relationship with my wife and son.
1997 AG
AG
94chem said:

So, I hate to break it to you, but if you've ever had a prescription for any of this stuff, you can forget about your blood work, your BMI, your drug/alcohol/nicotine usage, or any of that. You're not getting reasonable life insurance.

I'm really sorry to hear about all you had to deal with at once. Very difficult. However, I was prescribed Lexapro after a divorce and took it for a a very brief period. Fast forward to about a year ago, I was able to secure a new life insurance policy at what were the best terms available in the market. That usage never came up. So, just wanted to put another experience out there.
BenFiasco14
AG
Ready to give my anxiety/panic attack confession and just vent a little bit.

I've always been a worried, anxious, and generally stressed out person but ever since my mom passed away at 60 from completely random terminal cancer my anxiety, especially about health and health related things, has been through the roof.

Especially since I have high blood pressure and I'm only in my late 20s. I'm trying to fix it and working with my Dr., but this HBP only makes my anxiety worse.

I had a full-on no holds-barred panic attack maybe six months ago or so where it was completely debilitating and I truly believed I was having a heart attack. Awful chest pains, pain in my left arm, all of the symptoms you hear about. I left work and went home and lied down in bed and was within just a few seconds of going to the ER because I thought I was gonna die, although there was a voice in the back of my head telling me there's no way this is a heart attack, it's a panic attack, try to calm down. I eventually did, but even just retelling this story is frightening to me.

I tried everything before making my appointment with a PCP. I should add I already exercise 5-6 days a week, have a decent job, a good girlfriend, I eat reasonably well, and quit using tobacco products. But it wasn't getting better. I was able to recognize the attacks coming on, and would try to fight them off (breathing, self-reassuring, etc), but it wouldn't always work.

Finally see a Dr about it about two months ago. Dr is hesistant about putting me on meds (and having read this thread, maybe rightfully so) so instead is having me try this supplement called Cortisol Managers, I take 2x a day (on top of the normal stuff like exercise, try to do breathing exercises, focus on the "now" type stuff). It sort of helps, and was for awhile, but I've recently been getting concerned about my blood pressure again, and it's causing me massive anxiety and giving me mild panic attacks (I'm gonna drop dead, my hearts gonna give out, what can I do, what should I do).

It's all very frustrating for me because like I said I think I'm objectively speaking healthy but lately feel like I'm unraveling. Late 20s, in good shape, workout 5-6 times a week both weights and cardio, eat well, and quit using tobacco about six months ago (dip). The onyl thing I can think of now is giving up alcohol completely and hope that helps with both the BP and anxiety/panic attacks. I admittedly drink quite heavily on the weekends.

I have my yearly physical on 10/18, and if I'm still ticking then, plan to have a serious discussion about what to do about my HBP (medication perhaps?)

I'm just a mess right now
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Been on BP meds for over 30 years. I can exercise, eat right, do everything right but with my family history, I have to be on meds to help. It's not bad. Just do it and give yourself some relief.
I get it down with healthy habits but the BP med gets it where it needs to be.
Gilligan
AG
JR2007 said:

Personally I've dealt with anxiety (which spirals into depression at times) since was very young. I've taken an SSRI for over a decade now, which helps with the underlying smoldering anxiety, but it still breaks through. I read a lot of anecdotal evidence of people dealing with anxiety, depression, or bipolar disorder who switched to a Keto, or even carnivore diet, with great success. A little over a year ago, I started a Keto diet and before the end of the first week, I knew there was something to this. Over the past year, I've never felt better. Sometimes I feel guilty for feeling so good, because I couldn't remember a life without crippling anxiety. I still take my SSRI, but now at the lowest dose and pretty certain I'll be able to wean myself all the way off. About 6 months ago I felt the anxiety creeping up a little and was worried that the effects of the diet were wearing off and was really bummed. On further examination, I realized my carb intake had creeped up, and now after getting that on track plus also doing at least 16/8 intermittent fasting, I'm back on track. This has been a life changer and I'll never go back.
My roommate from college has dealt with depression since the early 90's. Has taken everything under the sun.

He started intermittent fasting and keto after seeing my results and says he hasn't felt this good in a long time.

It's only been 3 or 4 months, but he's sold on it.

He's up to 18/6 and working towards 20/4 and OMAD.

cityagboy
AG
- Don't give up on a solution
- What works for one may not for another
- Don't be afraid of meds, just don't take them and think that alone will fix your anxiety/ depression
- Therapists are amazing, but like meds, it can be hard to find the right fit for you
- Don't be afraid to ask for help
- Exercising, eating healthy, learning techniques to overcome anxiety, meditation, medicine
- Be aware of how your anxiety impacts other people AND how other people impact your anxiety
aggie_fan13
AG
Ben I would recommend seeing a therapist or licensed counselor. I am currently seeing one for depression and having somebody to talk to helps a lot . Am very sorry about your loss, if you ever need a pal to talk to I'm always free.
BenFiasco14
AG
I've tried it, and it didn't help. I'm not necessarily depressed about anything.

It's mainly worry and ominous foreboding. And sometimes it just comes on for no reason at all.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
aggie_fan13
AG
I definitely know what you mean, being mindful about it is a good start. Meditation and trying to be in the presence is important. You could always take an anti anxiety medication but they aren't fun to be on

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.