Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anxiety

36,191 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by azul_rain
Diet Cokehead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just don't start taking the Xanax as a preventative unless you know an attack is coming on.

As long as you maintain a healthy fear of Xanax and only take it when absolutely necessary with the understanding that the more you take, the more you need, you will be fine.

Xanax withdrawl is ugly - similar to heroin and can even be fatal so definitely keep your guard up.

Anxiety is a future state mindset. Try to stay in the moment.
Counterpoint
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

Just don't start taking the Xanax as a preventative unless you know an attack is coming on.

As long as you maintain a healthy fear of Xanax and only take it when absolutely necessary with the understanding that the more you take, the more you need, you will be fine.

Xanax withdrawl is ugly - similar to heroin and can even be fatal so definitely keep your guard up.

Anxiety is a future state mindset. Try to stay in the moment.
This. And it even applies to small doses. Well, maybe not the "fatal" part, but everything else.
94brett
AG
Research gut health and anxiety. Reasearch is showing a link between the two. Dr. Mark Hyman just put out a docu series about the broken brain and tying many brain related issues to gut health. It is very interesting. It's worth trying his recommend life style changes. I have lost 25 lbs and feel great. Hard to argue against not eating sugar, processed grains and dairy.
aggiebrad94
AG
If you looked at the list of top 10 most common reasons to have a panic attack, I had 6 or 7 when I was a senior at A&M. I'm better 20 years later but still go through an attack or two per year. The key for me was becoming hyper aware of what led up to each attack.

My panic is all about my health. When I have an attack, I feel like the room begins to spin or my left arm starts to ache. The left arm one particularly scares me because I think I'm close to a heart attack. Once i go back through the previous day, though, I can usually find where I lifted something heavy or threw batting practice for my kid's baseball team. Being panicky about your left arm is especially frustrating for an old left handed pitcher whose neck / shoulder muscles tightened pretty easily and send radiating pain down the arm.

Once I can rationalize why I am feeling the way I do, I can usually deep breathe my way out of them.
aggie_fan13
AG
For those of you that suffered with anxiety did you experience an episode of depression afterwards ?
Geriatric Punk
AG
Fully. Anxiety drives you to a feeling that you are incapable of handling life which leads you to feelings of general inadequacy which feeds into depression. At least, that is how it has happened to me in the past. Things that helped were to identify the sources and eliminate them. Social media was one for me. Watching others put their best foot forward (while hiding all the sh*t life makes them shovel) can mess with your mind when you are in a weak place. It might be different for you, but finding triggers is a good way to help you navigate.

You're not alone, my friend. Many of us have been there. There are better days ahead. They just take a single day at a time to reach.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
tamuags08
AG
Contact me at (username) at gmail dot com. I've got some experience in this department which I'll share via email and not public forum.
aggie_fan13
AG
Last question. Been having a difficult time sleeping, since this started. I try to go to bed by 9:30, Asleep by 10 which usually works but I have been specifically waking up around 2:30-3:00am every night. Some nights I'm able to fall asleep immediately afterwards. Other nights I toss and turn for hours waking up feeling exhausted. Any tips on what to do would be great.
TommyGun
AG
Melatonin works well for me. We buy the chewables and I use them sparingly. If I'm trying to go to sleep earlier then I'll usually take a couple about 30-45 min before I get in bed. I'll be out within minutes of my head hitting the pillow.
aggie_fan13
AG
does it help you stay asleep ? thats been my main problem, which i believe is effecting my anxiety thus causing depressive moods
AggieT
AG
Get some Ambien to get you over the hump. Everything else is harder if you're exhausted.

Like everything else, moderation.
americathegreat1492
Not to say one way or the other, but depression and anxiety cause sleep disturbance just as readily as sleep disturbance can cause depression and anxiety. You may also consider the things you do during the day and around bedtime such as consumption of caffeine or getting a lot of screen time stimulation. Some people find it helpful to get blackout curtains. Try to go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time every day without napping and regardless of whether you slept well that night, etc etc. If you're taking any medication right now some may cause sleep problems. It's not uncommon for people to take a medication that causes one side effect so they take another to counteract it.
Max Power
AG
Quality sleep can certainly help. I've had better luck with over the counter meds than I ever did with prescriptions. My current bedtime routine is to take a 3 mg melatonin and a half a Costco sleep aid, not sure what chemical it is. That combination works perfect, I get to sleep, stay asleep, and don't wake up groggy.

After my daughter was born I was so exhausted all the time that it completely removed all need for sleep aids, but after she got better at sleeping I slowly started having the same issues as before. The main issue I have is staying asleep, if I don't take something I will wake up at 4:00, sometimes earlier.

If possible stay away from screens about an hour before bed, try to read, it can help you wind down. Make sure you're exercising as well, can make a difference in your sleep.

Try over the counter solutions before delving into prescriptions.
Kool
AG
You may be seeing the effects of Alprazolam wearing off, if indeed that's what you are taking. Half life, depending upon the form you are taking, is 11-13 hours. Alternatively, you may be experiencing a fairly common symptom of depression - "terminal" insomnia. Not meaning insomnia will kill you, just meaning insomnia which interrupts the latter part of your sleep stage and prevents you from returning to sleep. TREAD LIGHTLY. And make sure you are hooked up with someone you trust, who knows what they are doing. If you are awake more than 20 minutes, get out of bed, go to a dimly lit space, read something pleasant. Try things like melatonin (doesn't work for many, does for some), L-tryptophan, Benadryl, etc. DO NOT USE ALCOHOL FOR SLEEP. Google Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia and Sleep Hygiene. Tread lightly with pharmaceuticals. That being said, Ambien is a much "cleaner" drug than Xanax for sleep, easier to come off of, etc. Best to you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggie_fan13
AG
I took the lexapro for five days at 5mg and got off it. Haven't had to take any xanax and don't plan to. I felt fine off the lexapro for about a week and a half. Had a depressive episode last Saturday where I just felt down and had no motivation to do much. slowly each day I feel myself getting back to normal. Im seeing a therapist right now but it frustrates me that she is so keen to me being on medications. Im very cautious of any type of stimulants, I don't drink coffee or caffeine ever and am a social drinker(I don't go out much). Exercise has been my vice the past year and I plan on keeping it that way. My sleep has been off so I was trying g Tylenol pm and now I'll give melatonin a try.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Just so you know, the active ingredient in all the PM meds is simply diphenhydramine (or, Benadryl). So, you can just take a Benadryl and avoid the acetaminophen in the Tylenol.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
aggie_fan13
AG
gonna try to go off all meds and just exercise at night instead, but thanks for your input
administrative errors
In case you didn't want to go the pharma route with ssri's, CBS has been shown to help with anxiety and stress without side effects. If you goto the doctor for anxiety, and leave with one pill, and then more pulls to treat the side effects of those pills.... ask your Dr about cbd.

https://www.projectcbd.org/anxiety

5 mg/day is probably best place to start. I'd budget like $30-50/month.

My dad has used CBDistillery.com, others have used other sites.

If you have to do a drug test, take an isolate without THC.
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Checking in on you azulAg. How are you doing?
aggie_fan13
AG
Pretty good, I think the epsiode of anxiety was just a anxiety attack, still not to sure what triggered it though. Im not on any anti depressants and have been seeing a therapist weekly. Feel pretty much my self, every now and then I find myself overthinking but I just calm myself down with meditation. Thanks for your concern
aggie_fan13
AG
Admittedly I did experience depression when I got off lexapro. Probably cause I went cold turkey on the stuff, but that lasted a few days
TommyGun
AG
azulAg said:

Admittedly I did experience depression when I got off lexapro. Probably cause I went cold turkey on the stuff, but that lasted a few days

My wife was on Lexapro for over 10 years and just recently got off. It was extremely difficult for her and she doubted her decision numerous times when her withdrawal symptoms would intensify. However, she stayed the course and has been completely off for about two months now.

What has really helped her with depression symptoms recently is picking up golf as a hobby. I had always played off and on but she really wanted to learn and we started playing together recently. She absolutely loves it because it gets her outside, requires physical activity, and lets her focus her thoughts on improving her golf swing.
aggie_fan13
AG
wow, she sure sounds strong and determined, I was only on it for five days and when the depression came it was only for about 3 days and it was hell. uncontrollable crying and absolutely no motivation or drive to do anything. Getting out of bed to take a shower was a struggle for me. Best of luck to your wife
Na Zdraví 87
AG

And that's good news Tommygun on your wife. Keep it up! Sounds like she is on the right track!
94chem
Ashwagandha Withanolides

Anybody try this stuff?
kag00
AG
azulAg said:

I took the lexapro for five days at 5mg and got off it. Haven't had to take any xanax and don't plan to. I felt fine off the lexapro for about a week and a half. Had a depressive episode last Saturday where I just felt down and had no motivation to do much. slowly each day I feel myself getting back to normal. Im seeing a therapist right now but it frustrates me that she is so keen to me being on medications. Im very cautious of any type of stimulants, I don't drink coffee or caffeine ever and am a social drinker(I don't go out much). Exercise has been my vice the past year and I plan on keeping it that way. My sleep has been off so I was trying g Tylenol pm and now I'll give melatonin a try.

I had a very similar experience. Anxiety and depression not quite what you describe but was pervasive. A week on Lex and I felt a lot better. I tried like you did to hop off as soon as possible but had a nasty relapse about a 3 weeks later. Got back and based on Dr. recommendation stayed with it for two months. I weaned off using half doses for another two months. The main benefit of staying on was eliminateing the cycle that anxiety caused. When I got anxious I had more anxiety. I was able to focus on fixing my mindset and and completely off now. Keep in touch with Dr. when getting off.

Good luck!
Kate Beckett
AG
I have been on Lexapro since January. The symptoms were awful for a few weeks. No sex drive, no appetite for food, couldn't sleep (on melatonin to counteract insomnia). They did finally settle down and I am "back to normal" so to speak symptoms wise.

I had pretty severe anxiety (to the point where asking someone a question sent me into the sweats), and with this and a therapist, I have made large strides since January where I can do and say more things with little anxiety. Some days are rougher than others, but I am picking up an exercise regimen and it is helping as well.

Just wanted to share my experiences.
aggie_fan13
AG
Best of luck, things eventually get better. I find meditation to help a lot
Kate Beckett
AG
I have a meditation app on my phone and I am trying to make a solid effort to do meditation before bed to turn my mind off and unwind.
Ferg
How many hours before bedtime do you cut off the caffeine? I've had times where I can get to sleep after having ice tea at night, and then it kicks in halfway through the night.
aggie_fan13
AG
I generally dont drink caffeine , still have trouble falling asleep
AtlAg75
AG
There may be an alternative approach to dealing with depression and anxiety besides medication. First, I'll say I don't suffer from either but have spent many hours studying an approach called the Wim Hof Method. There are benefits for everyone however the anecdotal evidence is very strong that depression, anxiety, PTSD and many other issues can be addressed through this method.

This 5 minute youtube video is part of a long interview of Wim Hof by Joe Rogan (watch the entire interview if you have time) -

I highly recommend researching Wim Hof and what he has accomplished with the method he developed. There are significant short and long term benefits for everyone from feeling great today and avoiding diseases in the future.

I could go on for a long time talking about this method but won't attempt to do that now. But will say that it has been so effective for me that I decided to pursue becoming a certified Wim Hof Method instructor so I can help others learn. Have one class to go but do have an in-depth understanding of the process and love teaching it to others. If anyone has questions after learning more about the method please don't hesitate to PM me so we can connect via phone or email to discuss in detail.

The bottom line is that this method is free, takes 20 minutes a day, has no downsides and makes you feel incredible. In the 7 months I have been practicing, every day I experience high energy, alertness, clear headed, sleep great, stressful situations just don't effect me as they used to, I have a calmness about me. As I said, I can go on and on. Please look into it and let me know if I can assist in any way.
fire09
AG
I've been following this thread for quite a while as someone who struggles with similar issues. One piece of advice I will give is to avoid ssri and benzo's, treating them as a last resort. The chest pain, numbness sensation, etc of an attack can be very scary. For piece of mind, consider getting yourself fully evaluated by a cardiologist. It certainly helped me remain calm when the spiraling symptoms of an attack started.
jack3d14
i was suffering from these multiple times a day every day. i dropped a person in my life, focused on myself, started eating healthier and exercising. now i just tell myself that i'm the sh*t and that confidence boost tends to help avoid my anxiety
Jim01
AG
Been battling it myself on and off for a while. The main, and really only, driver is my stomach. I have a bad stomach. My friends in college called me "Mr. Poop". Been to a couple docs through out the years and found nothing wrong, so I've been lumped under the umbrella of IBS. It affects everything I do in life. For instance on road trips I basically don't eat. 9 hour road trip to Florida? I'll wake up 2 hours before we have to leave so I can eat breakfast, have time to go to the bathroom, and then be positive my stomach has had time to settle. Then I won't eat or drink a thing the entire day until I know we are at our destination and "safe".

This past weekend we went to a friends parents lake house on LBJ. They had just bought it last year so I had never been. In total there were 12 people (6 adults/6 kids) and 2 bathrooms. That was factor one. Factor two was the lake aspect of it. The idea that at any given moment someone might say "Let's jump on the boat." It made for a horrible first day were I was just anxious and reclusive all day as I got a feel for things. After the first day I was my normal self because I figured out that the two bathrooms were both easily accessible (I was worried one would be a "master" bath that was tucked away in my friends parents room, effectively leaving only one bathroom for the other 10 people). And I had also figured out that it was no big deal for me to bail on boat rides. But that first day our friends were asking my wife if I was ok, and the second day my friends mom said "I'm glad you're feeling better" even though I had expressed no illness to her.

Another example was a couple weeks ago we went to a escape room. I figured you could easily just knock on a door and say "I need the bathroom" but when we got there we discovered the bathroom was actually across the shopping center and that the lady in charge made it seem like you couldn't get out of the room without disqualifying the entire group. I literally broke into a sweat and told my wife I wasn't going in. I freaked out inside. Of course my wife clarified that I could leave at anytime and the only consequence would be that I couldn't rejoin the group, but the group wouldn't be disqualified. I ended up doing it and being fine, but for those 5-10 minutes I was a frantic mess inside.

Anyway. I recently have started to tackle my stomach by switching my diet. That is step 1 to eliminate meat and as much fat as I can, and to increase fiber and healthy foods. From there I might see a nutritionist to look at tackling a diet targeted at maybe figuring out what my "trigger foods" are. I feel like if I had a normal persons stomach then I might be just fine. Of course it's a chicken/egg thing too. My stomach actually acting up causes anxiety, but anxiety about my stomach acting up can cause my stomach to feel like it's acting up.

Lastly, I was drawn by the title of this thread and just had to post this song. Jason Isbell is one of my all time favorite artists and this song is from his newest album (which won the Grammy for Best Americana Album). The first time I heard it and heard the first line, I was like Holy sheet! Yes! . Give it a listen. I don't think I'll be alone in identifying with the lyrics. I also love the way he does the arrangement. The chaos of the music to start, the break, and then ending in chaos. It just mirrors anxiety itself to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.