Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anxiety

35,922 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by azul_rain
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kinda hard for me to do this but I need to vent. Last week I had an anxiety attack, i didn't think much until I had one the next day and the day after that. Went to psychiatrist and they put me on Lexapro and gave me xanax on the side in case I have any attacks. Im trying to rationalize how this all happened but can't seem to pinpoint this. Any advice on how to handle this would be much appreciated. Thanks & Gig'em
AggieT
AG
Been there, and it sucks. Meds can help, but I hated Lexapro. Xanax works, but I wouldn't want to take it daily.

I found my anxiety was much worse on days I didn't work out. On bad days, going to the gym was a quick fix (pick up 200 lbs and tell me what's on your mind.)
americathegreat1492
I like to take a rational "first pass" on these kinds of things to quickly rule some stuff out and get set on a path that is going to be helpful. You can work out the details while you're on that path.

To investigate the issue, the first thing you might do is rule out the obvious things like any medications or supplements you might be taking that can have these kinds of side effects. I would hope the medication/supplement angle was already discussed with you by the psychiatrist. Alcohol, drugs, and caffeine consumption are also valid things you can quickly rule out. You might get lucky and it is one of these easily identified causes.

If it isn't any of the above, and the issue persists, you have a number of options. Medication: the xanax is a good pill that works well when used when you really need it. Used too often, it will lead to the development of tolerance and it's ugly cousin, withdrawal symptoms. If you haven't already researched it, lexapro is an ssri (antidepressant) that is to be taken per the prescribers' dosing schedule. People do get some anxiolytic benefits from anti-depressants. Be aware that any medication comes with it's own side effects and regularly taken ones usually have withdrawal symptoms should you decide to stop taking them. Depending on how severely the attacks impede your daily functioning, those risks may be worth taking.

Another option available to you is therapy. This option might help sort through any contextual factors and give you some tools to manage or lessen the frequency of attacks. Therapy is available from a number of different sorts of practitioners with different backgrounds, different credentials, and different approaches. Common therapy modalities include behavioral, cognitive, cognitive-behavioral, and the less well known psychodynamic. All forms have evidence for efficacy. You may personally prefer one form over another and find it more effective for you. If you decide on a therapist, I would recommend seeing one with a doctorate in clinical psychology. They will have the best scientific background along with extensive training and experience in therapy.

Finally, alternative but efficacious approaches also exist and can be beneficial. Regular, intense exercise is great for both anxiety and depression. Certain spiritual work, whether you treat it religiously or not, has also been shown to be efficacious. Examples here include yoga and meditation. If you are religious, prayer and social support from your religious community will also be of benefit.

This is just a small taste of the resources out there. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
aggie_fan13
AG
appreciate the insight. Have already made appts with a psychologist and have a follow up with psychiatrist. Exercise is my go to stress relief but these meds have made me drowsy and lethargic. Hope to start going to church again as well.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Sorry, bud. It sucks for sure. I've dealt with it off and on for years. Exercise, for me, really is the easiest fix. Running, strength training, and eating better all help me stay on an even keel and (more importantly) ensure I sleep better. With better physical shape comes better positive self image. These things all help you deal with panic.

I've tried the med route. The side effects of SSRIs (Lexapro, et al) weren't worth whatever "relief" they provided (which, for me, was none). Xanax works because it is a strong mf'ing drug. It can also creep up on you and take your life away from you if you are not careful. I've seen it ruin more than one life. Use it with caution and if you are still using it after a couple of months, you might want to reevaluate your plan.

Good luck. You'll push through it. One day at a time.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
aggie_fan13
AG
when you mention the side effects, what exactly ? i already feel my normal self again and ive only been on the meds for about 5 days, which makes me think it was just a once in the blue moon event ....
Kool
AG
What Geriatric Punk said is true. Benzodiazepines are very difficult to come off of. Even if you're only on them for a short period of time. Be very careful with them.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggie_fan13
AG
I've been on 5mg for five days. Should I be worried ?
Cancelled
AG
One quick question: do you drink? If so, how much? You don't have to answer on the board of course, but drinking can definitely cause anxiety. Hangovers (I.e., withdrawals) can certainly cause anxiety. Plus alcohol can straight up screw up your system. Also, sometimes we use alcohol to self medicate other issues.

Just my $.02.
aggie_fan13
AG
Not much, maybe twice a month if I'm being generous.
aggie_fan13
AG
I feel fine right now and my normal self, im just worried if I get on these drugs I'll be hooked for life which is not what I want
Kool
AG
Take as little as you can for as short of a period of time as you can.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggie_fan13
AG
Give me a timeframe ?!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Wife has battled anxiety most of her life. Hard for someone like me to walk in those shoes- never experienced anything like it. Wife had been seeing a psychiatrist consistently- mixed results from standard stuff- immersion therapy, etc. Never got on any meds.

We're both Christians and my wife had a pretty powerful chain of spiritual events occur to the point she was almost overnight a different person. Hard to explain and sounds probably pretty weird if you don't share the faith, but it's been incredible to watch. She's been a different person.
Kool
AG
No time frame, because there isn't an answer. Can you function without the meds? If so, do so. I'm not a psychiatrist (thank God!). I took them for a short, awful period of my life because I couldn't sleep and it was affecting my ability to carry on with my job to the best of my abilities. Mine was related to a very finite event which had a happy outcome (thank God again). I immediately stopped them and thought I'd be fine but was amazed at how I needed to taper off of them. I was only on them after work during the week for a few weeks. I had never taken any psychiatric medicine before or since, and was typically having 1-2 alcoholic drinks per week. I thought it would be a snap to come off cold turkey, but I was wrong. My experience isn't unusual.
Hhilton82
AG
Anxiety and depression nearly did me in. Even hospitalized for extended periods.
Tried every anti depressant under the sun. Came back around to Cymbalta. Worked for 5 years.
Xanax is a life saver for me. I take .5 when needed once a month or so.
Scary, scary stuff. Did not think I was going to make it at times.
PM if you like.
aggie_fan13
AG
I just don't know what to do. Those two days were like hell on earth. I couldn't function properly and was having awful thoughts. I want to believe the meds haven't been able to kick in this fast but who knows. They also wanted me to up the dosage to 10mg by tomorrow
Hhilton82
AG
I understand.
Anything to get away from "that feeling."
1) Don't be afraid to get help. You are not weak. You are ill. If our are like me you may feel scared, but want to power thru it. The mind is powerful.
2) talk to doc about Xanax fears. If they are any good they will monitor you closely. No "I lost my script" BS to score more. (Addictive behavior). For me, it helped to at least get off the hamster wheel. I am an alcoholic so I was especially cautious. My doc is also in recovery so he understood my fear and apprehension.
3) Meditation also could work.

Hang in there buddy. I understand the hell. It is real.
aggie_fan13
AG
I appreciate all of yalls help. Helpful to know I'm not alone.
94chem
Quote:

when you mention the side effects, what exactly ? i already feel my normal self again and ive only been on the meds for about 5 days, which makes me think it was just a once in the blue moon event ....
Your wife may like that you don't "bother" her as much. Comprende?
94chem
azulAg said:

I appreciate all of yalls help. Helpful to know I'm not alone.
1 in 6 men.
aggie_fan13
AG
im 21, and single
loser97
AG
all of mine have been blood pressure related (hangover, high salt intake....) aside from one in Amsterdam which was just dumb.

Xanax was a quick fix but it was clear after a few of them, that that wasnt the answer. if i feel one coming, i run outside and immediately start exercising.
94chem
azulAg said:

im 21, and single
Yes, well then, this may be exactly what you need. I suspect the providers get away with underselling this side effect because many of the end users already suffer from the problem I describe; therefore, the added effect of the Lexapro goes unnoticed.
aggie_fan13
AG
so youre saying i should be on the lexapro ?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Exercising definitely helps my anxiety. The day after drinking alcohol makes it 10 times worse.
Cancelled
AG
I had one really bad attack years ago. I didn't know what it was and I thought I was having an anxiety attack. The problem with anxiety is that you get anxious not only about the trigger, but also having an attack itself becomes a fear. Look into autogenics...there are youtube videos on this. It probably can help a bit.
Geriatric Punk
AG
azulAg said:

If you can't handle bodily function talk, stop reading now.

94chem made mention of one of them. The flip side of not having any sex drive, is that if you actually do have a drive, the SSRIs make it difficult to "finish." Performance wasn't an issue when I tried Lexapro, but the pay-off was. That can be both a blessing and a curse.

Others I noted were sleep issues (couldn't) and "all or nothing" type bathroom trips. In other words, it either didn't happen or it shot out like a water cannon.

Geriatric Punk
AG
azulAg said:

I've been on 5mg for five days. Should I be worried ?
5mg of Xanax a day?
aggie_fan13
AG
Lexapro
Geriatric Punk
AG
Ok. 5 mg of Xanax is a lot, so I was a little worried.
aggie_fan13
AG
Lol no, they gave me xanax in case I have an anxiety attack but I haven't had one since. I have no desire to be on either meds. Now that you think of it I did get kinda drunk on the Saturday or Sunday before it happened ....
aggie_fan13
AG
I understand what you're saying now
Max Power
AG
Sorry if you're going through a tough time, but talking about it means you have a chance to get through it. I've been on depression meds for several years now (Bupropion, generic Wellbutrin) and they have helped, but not solved my issues entirely. At my last mental health checkup my doctor's intern asked if the meds helped my self esteem...unfortunately they don't make pills that I'm aware of yet that fix that issue, anti-depressants work in other ways.

I'm pretty sure I had some anxiety attacks in my younger days in college and in my 20s but didn't realize it at the time, haven't had one in a really long time though.

Medication certainly isn't one size fits all, I would consider switching mine up if it were for fear of impacting other areas of my life currently. My wife helped me get treatment, but I still don't think she understands what I'm going through and if a medication switch went poorly it would make it twice as bad.

One thing that helped before going on medication was seeing a therapist, I wanted to do that before seeking anything pharmaceutical grade. She helped me get down to some of my issues, which weren't really resolvable, but able to be figured out.

You don't even have to see a psychiatrist for depression meds, I went through my primary physician, and we talked about the medication options and settled on this one. I'm not cured, but managing as well as I can.
aggie_fan13
AG
I try not to let things get me down, Id like to think i had a rougher life than most but then i read about some of the other problems people have and I try not to feel sorry for myself. I have come a long ways in the past year especially with my physical health, but i guess i still have some psychological issues to work out. I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences and such.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.