Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

459,785 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by txags92
gvine07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today's "well duh!" Lesson: stretching is good.

Last night I stretched for 20-30 minutes while watching The Last Dance (Bulls documentary) and this morning I had my easiest PR ever (wasn't shooting for it). I'm 99.9% sure it's because of the stretching.

I've always had insanely tight muscles, which has always made me hate stretching. I almost always do a 5 minute stretch after rides but know I should do more. One of the nice parts of Peloton is I can see the immediate results.

I'm sure everybody knows this, but just a friendly reminder to get a good stretch!
singer10
AG
Absolutely. Check out the beginners yoga classes with Dennis if you liked doing those stretches. I've never done yoga before but he does a great job walking you through everything and not making the poses too difficult. I have started doing some of the 10 minute yoga classes after the 5 minute post ride stretches and it makes a huge difference in the way I feel.
gvine07
AG
My wife has been saying the same thing for months

My muscles are so tight everything in yoga is uncomfortable. I'm sure I could power through for 2 weeks and be ok, but I'm not out of excuses to start doing that.
singer10
AG
My wife was doing the prenatal yoga and I started doing those with her just because they modify the poses so much for the pregnant ladies. Get you a set of yoga blocks off Amazon and try a few of those classes out and you'll be amazed at how fast you loosen up. I am up to doing 30 minute yoga classes now and am able to hold pretty much everything the instructor calls out. I don't look good doing it but it is amazing how much more bendy I have become.
JoeOlson
AG
I've had a lot of fun trying out the meditation, yoga, 15 minute stretches etc. These are all things that I likely wouldn't do in a group setting, but it's made a huge difference even in the few weeks I've had the bike.

Also for those coming from CG/OT, the boot camps and strength programs are great
dodger02
AG
Booooo!

I did his recent 30 min climb at lunch today. It was great. Got a PR and didn't get close to cardiac arrest.
StringerBell
AG
man that dude had us out of the saddle at high resistance then up to 100+ at that same high resistance and all i wanted to do was reach through the screen and slap the **** out of him
RustyBoltz
AG
StringerBell said:

I just can't keep any consistency in cadence when I'm out of the saddle. Need to get better at that.
I just hate I can't throw the bike right and left. I need a rocker plate for our Peloton!
txags92
AG
StringerBell said:

man that dude had us out of the saddle at high resistance then up to 100+ at that same high resistance and all i wanted to do was reach through the screen and slap the **** out of him

That is what I hate about alot of the instructors. When standing at high resistance, anything above about an 85 cadence is completely unrealistic and borderline dangerous. If you can do a 90+ cadence while standing under climbing levels of resistance, your resistance is too low and you aren't really climbing. No cyclist in the real world is going to climb a hill standing with a cadence over 90. It is terribly inefficient and can be dangerous to your knees on a stationary bike with a heavy flywheel and feet clipped to the pedals.
tbirdspur2010
AG
I never go above 80 out of the saddle, myself. Too inefficient and too risky, especially as your muscles tire.
Spinnaker96
AG
It went okay. I had to lay on the floor for a few minutes afterwards, so I think I did my best.

I didn't get where I wanted to be (200+), but my FTP went up by 20 points. I probably had an FTP that was low to start (even though I took the test).

I'm looking forward to testing out my new zones and the next challenge!
AggieOO
txags92 said:

StringerBell said:

That is what I hate about alot of the instructors. When standing at high resistance, anything above about an 85 cadence is completely unrealistic and borderline dangerous. If you can do a 90+ cadence while standing under climbing levels of resistance, your resistance is too low and you aren't really climbing. No cyclist in the real world is going to climb a hill standing with a cadence over 90. It is terribly inefficient and can be dangerous to your knees on a stationary bike with a heavy flywheel and feet clipped to the pedals.
this is one of the many reasons i hate(d) most spin classes and am very selective with instructors on peloton.
YellAg2004
AG
Is there a place to see your past FTP test results? I re-tested ~1.5 months ago, and I know my number went up over my initial test, but I can't find where the initial results are to see how much it actually went up.
bthotugigem05
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Is there a place to see your past FTP test results? I re-tested ~1.5 months ago, and I know my number went up over my initial test, but I can't find where the initial results are to see how much it actually went up.

Take your total output from your FTP test and subtract 5%, that's the "FTP score" your zones are based on (it's also the top boundary of zone 4).
minetta
AG
Either mPaceLine app or powerzonepack.com show FTP comparisons. I don't know whether you have to pay to see them all on mPaceLine at this point, but PZP page will show you FTP even with a free account.
YellAg2004
AG
I was told there would be no math.

Thanks for the info.
StringerBell
AG
yo anyone doing the 8 week powerzone challenge thing starting june 1?
singer10
AG
Yup doing the 3 ride a week team again. For me doing the 3 ride a week challenge was plenty because I was still doing 5 a week. I would do the 3 scheduled rides and then the 30 minute accelerator PZE and another PZE on a different day to get credit for an extra ride.

The challenge was good for me I enjoyed the structure of it and not having to pick my own rides everyday. My FTP went up 10% from beginning of the last challenge to retesting yesterday.
Nitro Power
AG
Yup....Matt Wilpers is the most of all the instructors about technique

Olivia is growing on me

It seems to be that Robin is Peloton's favorite, but I am not a fan
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
Nitro Power
AG
Here
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
bthotugigem05
AG
Olivia calls out too much 85 cadence out of the saddle for me
dave99ag
AG
The only time I get out of the saddle is when I'm done with the workout. I just keep going at whatever effort they request, but in the saddle.
Jethro95
AG
I'm a relative beginner at this but I can't reliably go over about 65 in the saddle.

I've also been wondering why haven't any of the Power Zone instructors posted any "Live from Home" workouts.
XpressAg09
AG
Any of y'all do the Power Zone Pack stuff?

https://powerzonepack.com/
dodger02
AG
Did a PZ ride with Olivia today and didn't like it.

She's too chatty. I missed a few of the zone changes because I got tired of her yapping and tuned her out. Just tell me what zone to be in and shut up. I don't care that "this track is lit!" or that she was in a ride with TD last week that was so invigorating and helped her get centered in her life and blah blah blah blah.
StringerBell
AG
Good deal. Signed up for the 3 ride a week one.
Discovery77
AG
On Week 3 of the PZ program and am enjoying it. Seems like anything less than a 45 min ride now doesn't feel like I have done enough. I have noticed my FTP increasing and have to change resistances to make sure I am following the cadence. I enjoy the classes from Matt/Dennis/Christine. Olivia....
Once this program is done and I retest, I plan on doing at least 1-2 PZ rides a week.

Next up I am going to do the Tabata program.

#SeaYaSoon
Nitro Power
AG
Once you get to the 90 minute rides the 30 will seem like warm up
JoeOlson
AG
Just wrapped up my FTP and my God...I'm trying to just hold breakfast down at this point. My average output (207) was higher than FTP (197). I had assumed they were the same number, but wow ... I turned off the leaderboard and just zoned out.
dodger02
AG
FTP is calculated at 95% of your average 20 min output.
StringerBell
AG
Gonna do Denis's 45 minute power zone ride followed by the live 30 minute club banger one which seems like an awful idea because I'm tired as hell because my kids didn't sleep but the diem isn't gonna carpe itself folks
AggieOO
Social Distanced said:

Olivia is growing on me

90% of my rides are Wilpers.
TexCOAg
AG
Appreciate this thread - it's been helpful while deciding whether to order a bike. Going to order one today - anyone have a referral code we can use? Thanks!
txags92
AG
J4MVDZ Thanks!
tysker
AG
AggieOO said:

Social Distanced said:

Olivia is growing on me

90% of my rides are Wilpers.
Robin is in charge of onscreen talent iirc and her personal story is imo pretty fascinating and inspiring. But the hiring of Wilpers may have been the best choice ever for the platform. Spin classes traditionally attracted more females but Wilper's style and PZ classes brings in males as well (especially after Stephen left). I'd guess male riders tend toward Wilpers and the PZ classes generally, which is why they added two more PZ instructors. The fact he also handles Tread and Outdoor classes is a bonus.
First Page Last Page
Page 34 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.