Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

459,783 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by txags92
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I just don't get the cheerleader types. ... I want a freaking gross ugly climb ride from 70-90% resistance led by an overweight dude with a beard who swears at you while Walk by Pantera plays.
Seems like you want a cheerleader, just one of a certain style

Quote:

I was so happy that they had a metal ride a few weeks ago but the playlist wasn't true metal.
I recall taking a metal ride with Jennifer a long time ago that had some older stuff like Pantera, Slayer, etc but that was before the copyright lawsuit so it may not be available anymore. I dont think we'll ever see a ride with heavier stuff like Lamb of God, Killswitch, As I Lay Dying, etc but that's when I'll use the Just Ride option + a Spotify playlist
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
If they could just make a bit more in depth timeline for the recorded rides it would help (ie I could see when shifts to cadence or resistance are coming). As far as I know you can only see what is currently going on. If I could see "oh, here comes a cadence change, let me pay attention" then I could get the same workout and tune out the instructor if needed.
dave99ag
AG
That would be helpful. I'd be happy in the ride summary if they listed the interval set so I know what to expect. Something like 5 @ 3' Z4 w/ 2' recovery. That may just be a bit too "technical" for this platform. I usually click on preview as they're pretty good telling what the workout will be and decide if I want to do the ride.
mrsbeer05
AG
I've had this same thought, but then it would be too easy to just screen shot the workout and a bootleg site would surely pop-up with all the workouts
Ragoo
AG
I remember there being a cheat sheet of sorts for buying used, anyone have that?
OasisMan
AG
Had it for 3 days,

I had considered myself in decent shape, but that was before I realized my quads had this little endurance
txags92
AG
Lower resistance and higher cadence will be your friend. Work your heart more than your quads.
dave99ag
AG
Bingo!

I'll see my wife doing some of the DJ classes where they're just grinding away at some insanely high resistance and low cadence. She's finally seeing the light about getting above 80 cadence and pushing power that way. I cringe anytime Wilpers wants something down in the 60s.
bthotugigem05
AG
I did a Power Zone workout today (using the zones that Peloton calculated for me after the Power Zone test) which was pretty much steady-state 80 cadence and just modulating the resistance. I didn't get near the output that I usually do on a 30-minute ride (normally in the 315-320 range and I got 221 today), is that normal?
txags92
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I did a Power Zone workout today (using the zones that Peloton calculated for me after the Power Zone test) which was pretty much steady-state 80 cadence and just modulating the resistance. I didn't get near the output that I usually do on a 30-minute ride (normally in the 315-320 range and I got 221 today), is that normal?
Depends on what kind of Power Zone class it was. If it was a Power Zone Endurance ride, where you are mostly in zones 2 and 3, yes, that is normal. Wilpers calls it "going slower to get faster". If your goal is to build an endurance base for longer and harder efforts, working at high levels too often can actually hold you back if you are not able to properly recover from ride to ride. Doing more moderate efforts focused on specific zones will allow you to workout more often and eventually improve your base more than fewer harder efforts will. Try one of his Power Zone rides or Power Zone Max rides to see what working in the higher zones feels like.
bthotugigem05
AG
This one was Christine's first PZ ride, the big efforts were in 4 and 5 and would drop down to one. I'll try the endurance/max rides next time, thanks!
Aggie09Derek
AG
The endurance rides will be a lot less high output
dave99ag
AG
I did a 45' PZ Max ride this morning with Wilpers where the primary set was 50s @ Z6 w/ 40s Z1 recovery (Two sets of 8). Your average power and kJ output is going to suffer a bit due to those Z1 recoveries, but a workout like that will build the engine and increase your FTP. It might be worth checking out some of the Christian Van de Velde rides. Some of those will kick your ass with minimal recoveries.

Power Zone Max - Intervals up to Z6 and Z7
Power Zone - Intervals up to Z4 mostly
Power Zone Endurance - Intervals up to Z3
txaggie05
AG
But I would say that yes, your total output will typically be lower in PZ classes and probably won't get PRs from them (with the exception of PZ Max rides) just because it's more structured and your average output may be lower even though you're working just as hard or harder. Or at least that's my experience...
Nitro Power
AG
What ride was this? Sounds ****ing terrible...I like it
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
dave99ag
AG
Whiskey Jacket said:

What ride was this? Sounds ****ing terrible...I like it
45 min Power Zone Max Ride w/ Wilpers
Thu 11/7/19 @ 5:00am

I kinda wished he did shorter rest, but I was itching for some pain. I bumped up the final set to high Z6 / low Z7. I probably should retest soon as those didn't hurt enough.
OasisMan
AG
txags92 said:

Lower resistance and higher cadence will be your friend. Work your heart more than your quads.
will try

so far lung fatigue has not been an issue
Ragoo
AG
OasisMan said:

txags92 said:

will try

you have to build aerobic before anaerobic and longer durations of aerobic are better for fat loss.
Nitro Power
AG
I tested Monday 289
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
AgFB
AG
The Denis haircut is kind of shocking.
dave99ag
AG
I think he mentioned during the Matt / Denis ride that he hadn't had a haircut since 2016. Surprised he didn't chop it off during a ride.
txags92
AG
OasisMan said:

txags92 said:

will try

Yeah, building better cadence takes time, but it is well worth it. You will be most efficient pedaling in the 85-100 rpm range, but you can't just decide to go there overnight if you are accustomed to pedaling 65-70 rpm. Pedaling faster at a lighter resistance to achieve the same power output will reduce how quickly your legs become fatigued during harder efforts.
bthotugigem05
AG
Using clipless pedals is pretty strongly recommended, yes?
txags92
AG
Yes. With the flywheel on the bike, you don't want to not have some way to keep your feet connected to the pedals for safety reasons, and you are much more efficient pedaling when clipped in.
aggiemeg06
AG
Reading this thread was one the reasons that pushed me over the edge to buy! We got our Peloton delivered Friday. I've already done four workouts and I am really enjoying being able to hop on the bike while my kids are napping or after they go to bed.

If you want to add me, I am megbmedina.
Nitro Power
AG
Added
bthotugigem05
AG
Got some shoes finally and am now part of the Checked To See If The Hotel Had A Peloton Before Booking There Club for my business trip to Chicago this week.
dodger02
AG
I noticed that not every peloton hotel has bikes with the delta cleat.
dave99ag
AG
The hotel version will generally have SPD pedals with flats on the other side. My wife travels a lot and just uses her running shoes. It's not the best, but easier than wondering what cleat system they have installed.
bthotugigem05
AG
dave99ag
AG
Headed out of town for a few days, so I thought I should do a FTP test. Decent improvement, but need to work on my pacing a bit more for the finish.

12/30/19 - 155w @ 2.01 w/kg
2/11/20 - 174w @ 2.30 w/kg
bthotugigem05
AG
Did my first ride with Ally Love, thought she was awesome, if nothing else she could count in rhythm and was super high energy without trying to be too inspiring.
txags92
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Did my first ride with Ally Love, thought she was awesome, if nothing else she could count in rhythm and was super high energy without trying to be too inspiring.
I did a combo with her and Jess King a while back and it was pretty good. I liked her better than Jess, but don't think I have gotten around to taking a class with just her. If I have, I don't remember it.
AggieOO
just realized that the peloton uses Look Delta cleats, not Keo. Only reason my road shoes have been working is that my cleats are so worn down that they fit. So now I either have to get a cheap pair of shoes or swap the pedals on the peloton.
txags92
AG
AggieOO said:

just realized that the peloton uses Look Delta cleats, not Keo. Only reason my road shoes have been working is that my cleats are so worn down that they fit. So now I either have to get a cheap pair of shoes or swap the pedals on the peloton.
You are looking at this all wrong. You are now faced with the opportunity to buy a new pair of shoes so that you can retire your old road shoes to become your peloton shoes. Surely your wife will understand why you need new shoes, right? I suggest yellow shoes...they make your more visible to cars, and somebody in the breakaway always has yellow shoes. Every time you look down, they will make you feel like you should be riding faster to live up to wearing them...
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.