Boyhood Dream Cars

12,056 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Superdave1993
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just remember the excitement of the Ford GT concept when it debuted when I was in high school in 2002, and continued to deliver through it's production run in 2005-2006. To this day, it is still one of the best looking cars out there IMHO.

I mostly wanted an old Chevy pick-up, though. Something like this sweet '72:

YouBet
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I wanted a Bronco or NSX.

I was about a minute from a white Bronco like this with the removable top. Instead, I got this:

Mine was Black Cherry Metallic which essentially equates to maroon. If anything, it was unique.

Silvy
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I can't believe it wasn't a 1989 Silverado extended cab.
That's precisely the 1st vehicle I recall my dad owning, perhaps had it when I was born. It was the first thing I ever drove.
lotsofhp
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

I just remember the excitement of the Ford GT concept when it debuted when I was in high school in 2002, and continued to deliver through it's production run in 2005-2006. To this day, it is still one of the best looking cars out there IMHO.

Dang, how did we make it this far in the thread with out the GT getting posted. Absolute stunner.
MouthBQ98
AG
A viper or a HMMWV.
MouthBQ98
AG
Really, I wanted one of these:

Texker
AG
FAT SEXY said:

What vehicles were your favorites back in your more youthful days?

The first car I ever fell in love with was the 90-96 Nissan 300ZX.. A guy in my hometown had a red one just like this and I was an envious young lad. I still think about getting one of these to this day.

Absolute Stunner

As I got a little older and reached high school I developed a love for Mustangs.. throughout those years my dream was an 03-04 "Terminator" Cobra.. say what you want about the 4.6's, but they have the most crisp, hollow, rumbling exhaust that I have ever heard. They sound so damn good IMO. Like the 300ZX, I still want one of these bad boys.

I love that body style Z. I drove a red 1990 from brand new for 10 years. That photo is the twin turbo which I did get a chance to drive a few times as I had friends at a Nissan dealer. Mine was an NA so not as fast but fast enough and a ton of fun. I can't complain about it not being a TT as I won it in a radio station drawing.
bevokilla
AG
I'm with OP with those two with the addition of the 2001-2003 Lightnings. The value on those things right now is pretty crazy
Post removed:
by user
Well, okay then
AG
The Fife said:

What started it all was probably either The Fall Guy's truck or this. Z31s looked better pre-facelift IMO.

My wife had one of these in white, 300ZX Turbo. Very nice ride.
Texker
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Texker said:

I love that body style Z. I drove a red 1990 from brand new for 10 years. That photo is the twin turbo which I did get a chance to drive a few times as I had friends at a Nissan dealer. Mine was an NA so not as fast but fast enough and a ton of fun. I can't complain about it not being a TT as I won it in a radio station drawing.
Amazing.

I've never actually driven one.. I will change that one day. How'd that bad boy run? Smooth? Reliable?

The build was incredibly tight for a frame with T-tops. I have no tolerance for rattles and/or crappy build quality. The higher the speed the better it handled. Being new production there MAY have been 1 recall but it's been too long to remember.

I tell people that I should get an award cuz I drove a red 300ZX for 10 years at age 27-37 and never got pulled over for speeding.

One day a co-worker and I decided we'd try to drive from our Richardson office to the Texas-Okie border and back during lunch. We made it, barely.

Had to sell her when the 2nd kid came along. Love my kid (now a TAMU Sr in Biomed) and miss that car.
PatAg
AG
aTm2004 said:

This is the car that made me understand how my dad could look at 70's muscle cars and drool over them. I will own one one day after my kids are old enough to not trash out cars or fling open doors in the garage into other vehicles. When I see one in the wild, I drool.

Wait, is there still a market that sells these cars? I just assumed they would not really be drivable at this point in time.
JBLHAG03
AG
I didnt read anything else but want a WS6.
TxLawDawg
AG

aTm2004
AG
Uhhyeah. For those of us who graduated HS around 2000, the WS6 TAs were the muscle cars of our time. IIRC, the Mustang GTs we're only 275hp (or less) where the WS6 was 320. I think the base TA/Z28 were 305.
Rattler12
Had a black 99 Pontiac Firehawk convertible with 19K that we bought in MO back in 06. There were nine of that particular configuration made in 99. We made the deal and flew to KC to meet the seller then drove it back to Spring Branch . I kept it for 10 years and sold it to a neighbor for what I paid for it.
Silvy
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
aggieforester05
AG
Other than many of the sports cars posted here, this was/is always high on my list. I've been fortunate enough to spend quiet a bit of time in the military version, but I'd like a civilian wagon someday.

lotsofhp
AG
silverado_lover said:

That's awesome. Back then I was a huge Chevy guy and the fact that the Camaro was putting down better number than the mustang was a huge point of pride for me.

It's funny, whenever the topic of tattoos comes up I always joke that if I had gotten one when I turned 18 it would have said Chevy racing. And now I'm 36 and drive a Ford F-150. So, I'll leave tattoos alone.
lotsofhp
AG
aTm2004 said:

Uhhyeah. For those of us who graduated HS around 2000, the WS6 TAs were the muscle cars of our time. IIRC, the Mustang GTs we're only 275hp (or less) where the WS6 was 320. I think the base TA/Z28 were 305.

This is exactly how I remember the numbers
HumpitPuryear
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

aTm_bomb said:

For me its always been an E46 M3. Came out right after I started driving; wish I had pulled the trigger pre-kids; it would be a forever car. I know the baggage that comes with used BMWs but I would gladly accept them for one.

Oxford Green on Cinnamon interior

Steel Grey on Imola Red interior

I've only seen one ever in Green. It was in Australia.

I drove a Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 as my daily driver for two years before I moved to Australia in 2007. I still wish I had my car back.

You'll have to open the link in a new window because I don't have my https sorted out.

Man I love the e46 M3 in laguna seca. I had a titanium silver M3 convertible for 15yrs. Loved that car but it was getting very dated. Was staring down the barrel of a starter repair, VANOS rebuild, and a very complicated convertible top system about to turn 20 year old. Still kinda wish I had kept it. This takes some of the sting away though

Garrelli 5000
AG
I've gotta admit when the GeoTracker came out I liked it. I was still several years away from driving but I was at the age that day-dreamed of the freedom of being able to drive. I imagined 12 year old me driving around w/the top off.

Before that it was the BTTF taco. I'd already started noticing various little modded trucks on the road w/the big light bars in the bed, lifted suspensions, and was smitten. Obviously the Delorean gave me wood too.

My dad bought mom an '86 Iroc-Z. Riding to school w/her teaching in the same building never felt so amazing. It was the closest to being David Hasslehoff I ever achieved.

<random google image>
cavscout96
AG
YouBet said:

I had this poster on my wall along with a million other kids in the 80s.

guilty
Silvy
AG
The Chevy dealership in Freer has a HAWT Iroc parked out front
Drip99
AG
Had a poster on my wall of this as a kid. Kinda surprised to see it pass me this weekend in south Austin.

aggieforester05
AG
lotsofhp said:

silverado_lover said:

That's awesome. Back then I was a huge Chevy guy and the fact that the Camaro was putting down better number than the mustang was a huge point of pride for me.

It's funny, whenever the topic of tattoos comes up I always joke that if I had gotten one when I turned 18 it would have said Chevy racing. And now I'm 36 and drive a Ford F-150. So, I'll leave tattoos alone.
This is likely what ushered in the '03/'04 cobra. Competition is a good thing. I hate that the Camaro is going away. Hopefully the Challenger and Mustang provide enough competition to keep the pony car market at each other's throats. All three brands have incredible naturally aspirated powertrains not to mention the supercharged variants.
aggieforester05
AG
Another one is the Ferrari F355. The 5-valve flat plane crank V8 is one of the best sounding engines ever made. The 360 is close, but I give a slight edge to the F355. Would love to drive one with a six speed gated shifter. The lines are beautiful as well.

Would love to own a 360 or F430 with the gated shifter. F355 is too expensive to own due to engine out belt service and expensive manifold cracks.:

YouBet
AG
My buddy's was a 1991 TT. Just a badass car.

As a side note, his older brother had a 1988 Pontiac Mera GT (Ferrari 308 clone for those that aren't familiar with it) that he gutted and dropped a 700 HP custom engine into it. Most ridiculous car I've ever been in. It was almost uncontrollable. You could sit in it and the entire car would shake from side to side and you could hear it coming from about a mile away.

Looked just like this one.

lotsofhp
AG
Are they going to stop production of the Camaro again? That's a bummer. Hadn't heard that
aggieforester05
AG
lotsofhp said:

Are they going to stop production of the Camaro again? That's a bummer. Hadn't heard that
That's what the rumor mill is saying. Selling less than 30K units a year. Supposedly will be replaced by an electric sedan, yay...
JSKolache
AG
3 pages & no Testarossa?
Aggie12B
AG

American Graffiti came out when I was 9 years old. Milner's '32 Deuce Coupe has been my dream car ever since.
Grown Pear
AG

BBRex
AG
Besides the General Lee Charger already posted, I wanted a TR6. I loved the lines.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.