Interest in TDI

6,782 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by WP69
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me rolling up on a Super Duty

Jethro95
AG
Thanks for the heads up on these GS! We just got a '13 Jetta with Premium, 40k miles for $10k for my son who will get his license in the fall.
bkag9824
AG
Jethro95 said:

Thanks for the heads up on these GS! We just got a '13 Jetta with Premium, 40k miles for $10k for my son who will get his license in the fall.
Where'd you pick this up? Just looking for a dealership willing to make a deal.
Jethro95
AG
Archer VW in Houston.
mrmill3218
AG
Is the Jetta Sportwagen reliable long term?
Flaith
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Is the Jetta Sportwagen reliable long term?
yes, if well maintained.

There are plenty of people reporting upwards of 300-400k miles on their 2.0 CR TDIs

Maintenance is key, though. HPFP filters, timing belts, DPF, etc.
Complete Idiot
Does this apply to the 2014-2016 Audi 3.0 TDI as well, should I expect good deals?

Interested in an A6 3.0 TDI and chiping it if could acquire cheaply and they are reliable.
Complete Idiot
Or a 2011/2012 4,2L A8
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Does this apply to the 2014-2016 Audi 3.0 TDI as well, should I expect good deals?

Interested in an A6 3.0 TDI and chiping it if could acquire cheaply and they are reliable.

Why not just do an A8L....
Complete Idiot
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

I do see A8L's with good prices, but was looking at the 4.2L V8 - 3.0TDI in those as well? Off to research
Complete Idiot
Found this....

3.0 V6 TDI Engine Problems and Reliability

The technically sophisticated 3.0 TDI requires a lot of effort and money for any repair. Based on consumer reports, unfortunately, the 3.0 TDI V6 is almost unable to pass 200,000 miles without an overhaul. Often serious problems begin to appear after only 100,000 miles. The timing chain tensioner is the weak point of this engine. Its breakage causes grinding when the engine starts. The first 3.0 TDI was equipped with piezoelectric injectors, which quickly went out of order. They provided a shortage of fuel supplied to the cylinders. As a result, a reduced fuel mixture led to an increase in temperature and a pistons burnout.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

I do see A8L's with good prices, but was looking at the 4.2L V8 - 3.0TDI in those as well? Off to research
The 4.2L Gas engine is decent, the 4.0L Twin turbo is a great motor in terms of power and fun to drive, but I wouldn't own one long term.

If you want reliable luxo barge, buy a LS460 with a CPO or good warranty.the Q70 is also a great buy even if its old as hell.
UpstateAg
AG
Picking mine up in Charlotte tomorrow. Dealer locally wouldn't budge, even though their car had 15000 miles more and less features. Charlotte beat them by 1500 bucks. Worth the hour and change drive.
GS, how did you install the USB ports near the gear shift?
Guitarsoup
AG
Everything needed is in a little kit. It took maybe 30 minutes and I am slow AF
UpstateAg
AG
What did you search on Amazon?
Guitarsoup
AG
It was on ECS Tuning, not Amazon.
ag09
AG
Ended up buying a 13 jetta as a commuter with 25k miles. Will post a pic later.
UpstateAg
AG
Made it to Charlotte and the Greenville VW dealer called and said, we made a mistake. Whooooooped charlottes price. No sunroof but I'll live. Sad to sell my 20 year old truck this morning.
UpstateAg
AG
Within two hours, wife has commandeered and I'm driving a minivan. This will not stand
aTm papi
Sold my 20th AE GTI and now looking for a Sportswagen. Can't wait to see what I can find.
Complete Idiot
Looks like I'll be selling my pristine low mileage unicorn Chevrolet SS 6MT and buying a Audi A6 TDI with 80K miles. Makes perfect sense, right?
Guitarsoup
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Looks like I'll be selling my pristine low mileage unicorn Chevrolet SS 6MT and buying a Audi A6 TDI with 80K miles. Makes perfect sense, right?
Username checks out.
Complete Idiot
Guitarsoup said:

Complete Idiot said:

Username checks out.
AND HOW
nortex97
AG
I hope folks read Complete Idiots post above. This is typical of most VW's/Audis; beautiful cars yes, but buying them and thinking any of them will be economic to operate out past 150K or so is absolute insanity. Diesel just adds more doubt to the long term reliability picture, especially as VW has exited that business basically.
aTm2004
AG
Complete Idiot said:

$5k for the SS right now.
Flaith
AG
nortex97 said:

I hope folks read Complete Idiots post above. This is typical of most VW's/Audis; beautiful cars yes, but buying them and thinking any of them will be economic to operate out past 150K or so is absolute insanity. Diesel just adds more doubt to the long term reliability picture, especially as VW has exited that business basically.
This is subjective nonsense
GTBullitt68
AG
For everyone that has jumped on the TDI boat, I highly recommend purchasing a scangauge II to monitor water temp, EGR temp, boost and when the car goes into regen. I've owned one in the past and it's helped keep an eye on things. You'll also notice that the water temp is a dummy gauge and never moves from 190 degrees. The scan gauge will show the real temp and mine frequently fluctuated up to 216 degrees. If you're looking for the cheapest place to buy one, I recommend advance auto and use their 25% off coupon. For $130 delivered, it adds a nice peace of mind.
Complete Idiot
aTm2004 said:

Complete Idiot said:

$5k for the SS right now.
Complete Idiot
nortex97 said:

This is confusing - which post should they read, the one where I stated common problems and shoddy long term reliability of the 3.0 TDI or the later post where I said I would buy one with fairly high miles. It's confusing.
Flaith
AG
GTBullitt68 said:

For everyone that has jumped on the TDI boat, I highly recommend purchasing a scangauge II to monitor water temp, EGR temp, boost and when the car goes into regen. I've owned one in the past and it's helped keep an eye on things. You'll also notice that the water temp is a dummy gauge and never moves from 190 degrees. The scan gauge will show the real temp and mine frequently fluctuated up to 216 degrees. If you're looking for the cheapest place to buy one, I recommend advance auto and use their 25% off coupon. For $130 delivered, it adds a nice peace of mind.
This is decent advice. I would also/instead advise buying an OBDeleven PRO Scan tool

https://obdeleven.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Audi-OBD2-OBDeleven-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B00OTG9K9I

It offers almost as much functionality as VCDS and it is WAY more conveniently done on an App instead of needing a laptop. It will allow you to run diagnostics, look at/clear codes, change settings in the car, prime the HPFP after filter changes (EVERY 30k MILES DON'T FORGET), etc.

Caution: Android only, so you iSheeple might need to get a cheap Android device to run it.
Complete Idiot
TDI acquired

2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Premium Plus w/20" wheels, drivers assistance package, sport suspension package

Regularly services at dealership, has theAudi diesel "fix" and extended emissions warranty through 2022

81K miles, $15K purchase price. It's a very nice car at that price. Averaged 85 MPH on drive home and got 38 MPG, and it actually pulls pretty hard. Car and Driver tested 0-60 at 5.1 seconds but Audi officially said 5.5. Not fast, but fast enough.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

TDI acquired

2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Premium Plus w/20" wheels, drivers assistance package, sport suspension package

Regularly services at dealership, has theAudi diesel "fix" and extended emissions warranty through 2022

81K miles, $15K purchase price. It's a very nice car at that price. Averaged 85 MPH on drive home and got 38 MPG, and it actually pulls pretty hard. Car and Driver tested 0-60 at 5.1 seconds but Audi officially said 5.5. Not fast, but fast enough.
Sweet!

Rule #1?
Complete Idiot
Guitarsoup
AG
It's no Jetta, but it looks nice. Congrats on the TDI.
drumboy
AG
Did you get the service history from the dealership or was it private party?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.