Interest in TDI

6,722 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by WP69
ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup's diesel wagen thread piqued my interest in replacing my current commuter car. After a quick search, some of the models Carfax are showing to be titled all over the place including Michigan. Was Michigan the hub for the buyback?

What else should I be on the look out for? Prices seem to be all over the place. School me on the TDI.

Edit: Yes, all bought back models were re-titled in Auburn Hills, Michigan.
Dill-Ag13
AG
sub-$9k is a good deal with under 50k miles.

2014 last year of old style
2015 was the redesign, includes a rear torsion bar instead of IRS as well as a urea tank, nicer tech and overall design

2013 seems to be the sweet-spot in terms of best value for money
Hatchet Harry
AG
Myself as well, I'm thinking about getting one too.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
6 Speed TDI Passats FTW
vansprinkle
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

sub-$9k is a good deal with under 50k miles.

2014 last year of old style
2015 was the redesign, includes a rear torsion bar instead of IRS as well as a urea tank, nicer tech and overall design

2013 seems to be the sweet-spot in terms of best value for money

I assume you are not saying you prefer a rear torsion bar over IRS, and also assume you would not prefer to have a urea tank? Or are those pros in your opinion?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Urea is whatever. Cheap enough, minor inconvenience.

The torsion rear end is a deal-breaker to me. There's talk of the possibility of being able to mount a euro-spec IRS (no urea tank on euros) under the car but that seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Dill-Ag13
AG
wagons4lyfe
ag09
AG
So the biggest issue I'm seeing at this point is that some of the inventory had sat for a bit? What am I missing, this almost seems too good to be true? I didn't honestly know that were available for sale.
Guitarsoup
AG
Mine had fluids and filters changed and new tires.
tailgatetimer10
AG
How does one find a buy back
mrmill3218
AG
Why in the world are these things so cheap?!
Boro Ag 2000
AG
I want one, too!
sts7049
AG
not sure if serious
mrmill3218
AG
Lol I mean I get the scandal, but it just seems like they're practically giving these away.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Lol I mean I get the scandal, but it just seems like they're practically giving these away.
They're like the scarlet letter of the auto world right now. But those who know, are jumping on them.
ag09
AG
After seeing the responses, I immediately regret making this thread. I've got my eye on a few and I don't want to have to outbid y'all.

What is the board's opinion on models that were originally used in NE and rust belt states? Avoid like the plague, right?
Centerpole90
AG
Don't need one. Don't think I want one. Certainly don't have any use for one.

But I feel like there will be a day in the not so distant future something here will be all the rage and everyone is going to pine for the days that we could have picked one up for a song.

Like when P-51s were sold as surplus. Or GM was practically giving away rattling LSA superchargers.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
You know what else is a great value right now?

07 and 08 Mercedes E320 Bluetecs....

There is just a minor issue with the oil cooler fittings leaking, but once they're fixed, they're rock solid.

YWIA.
JAW3336
AG
Where is the best place to look? autotrader? other site?

Thanks
Guitarsoup
AG
ag09 said:

After seeing the responses, I immediately regret making this thread. I've got my eye on a few and I don't want to have to outbid y'all.

What is the board's opinion on models that were originally used in NE and rust belt states? Avoid like the plague, right?

12 year unlimited mile rust warranty from first date sold
Complete Idiot
1agswitchin4lanes said:

There is just a minor issue with the oil cooler fittings leaking, but once they're fixed, they're rock solid.

YWIA.

Laughing emoticon throws me off. Is it a trap?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

YWIA.

Laughing emoticon throws me off. Is it a trap?

Just fanning the flames for those of us that like diesel cars.
Complete Idiot
I've been looking at 2014-2015 Audi A6's with the 3.0L Diesel. Always looking, but trying to ward off my need to constantly change vehicles since I have two vehicles I should really love right now.

I have three kids and hopefully can distract myself by looking for cars for them starting in 3-4 years.
Guitarsoup
AG
Looked at the A6/A7 and Q5/Q7. None were as great of a deal as the JSW.

Almost bought a 2015 A3 with hail damage that was pretty cheap, but my JSW was still $4k cheaper
Complete Idiot
No doubt bang for buck is in these VW diesel buybacks. But I need something sportier if I were to replace my current car. I also have to admit I hold VW in low regard, perhaps a bit of an unfair dislike of entire models but have had a couple first hand bad experiences in family. Also have had brother with two GTI's and nothing but good things to say about them. He moved up to audi's Now though.
Guitarsoup
AG
Cheap commuter JSW leaves more money for impractical fun car as car #3.
aTm papi
Guitarsoup said:

Mild drop with some nice wheels.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Guitarsoup said:

wouldnt that be #6 into the fleet?
Flaith
AG
Complete Idiot said:

No doubt bang for buck is in these VW diesel buybacks. But I need something sportier if I were to replace my current car. I also have to admit I hold VW in low regard, perhaps a bit of an unfair dislike of entire models but have had a couple first hand bad experiences in family. Also have had brother with two GTI's and nothing but good things to say about them. He moved up to audi's Now though.
Malone tune, muffler delete, GTI or Koni street suspension, thicker rear sway bar, shifter kit

It's plenty fun
Guitarsoup
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Guitarsoup said:

wouldnt that be #6 into the fleet?

Well, yeah, but I'm selling three soon

Complete Idiot
Flaith said:

Complete Idiot said:

Malone tune, muffler delete, GTI or Koni street suspension, thicker rear sway bar, shifter kit

It's plenty fun
Agreed they can be made a pretty fun daily, you can do that to quite a few cars but VW's (both gas and diesel) seem to respond really well to tunes and have lots of aftermarket parts from a global market (talking about Jetta and Passat I guess, GTI's come ready to go but can go further). I did some of this with a Honda Accord I bought when trying to intersect fun to drive, with family/daily practicality, at the lowest possible price back in 2013 or so. Found a rare Accord sedan with the V6 and 6 speed manual, for two years they tried to sell a "sporty" accord sedan. Intake, exhaust, tired, sound system to make a cheap car fun - but it also makes a cheap car no longer as cheap. It was perfect for what I was looking for a the time, and I bet these cheap to buy and operate VW diesel buy backs do the same for a lot of people as well.
Troy91
AG
I purchased a 2015 Jetta with 71k miles for $12k in March for my son who is an entering freshman at A&M in the fall.

We went to the lot to look at a different car but there was significant body damage on quite a few of the TDI models. I couldn't tell whether the damage was recent or during the buyback and storage period.

I did see quite a few on the lot with visible water marks in the engine compartment.

We are happy with our purchase but we had to look at quite a few vehicles to find the right combination.
Complete Idiot
Since I have OCD and constantly browsing used cars for sales, I can confirm the low prices on these TDI's are hugely attractive. Yesterday I found a 2015 Passat TDI with $68K miles for $10,000 - that the updated 2015 TDI motor and it had a manual transmission. Tune that to get up around 330 ft lbs of torque and 45+ mpg. Cheap to buy and fuel commuter, with a manual and upgraded performance not bad to drive either.
UpstateAg
AG
So I've been looking and calling dealerships in my area. No one wants to go below 11,500. Wife doesn't want it for that much.
I test drive own. Fun little car. Oh well...
mrmill3218
AG
Where are you located? There are a lot in the Dallas area.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.