Landcruisers

507,341 Views | 3457 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by reddog90
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any TexAgs have landcruisers? I see a weekend ride/project truck Fj40, or a modest FZJ80 in my future.

https://instagr.am/p/BYQ2DRfH8wi

https://instagr.am/p/BTMNB_6BwPS
The Wonderer
AG
Several FJ40 and FZJ80s running around in here.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
There are several 40 and 80 threads here.

I currently have a 78 FJ40, and a 97 FZJ80. Previously owned a 95 FZJ80 and a 97 FZJ80 LX450 (both of which are now owned by Texag-ers as well).
fwag04
AG
I have a 100 series I got a few months ago as my daily driver. I'd like to get a 40 in the future. My wife now wants a 200 series, or to take my 100 from me.
Complete Idiot
I have a built 80 with lockers but yet recently find myself obsessed with getting a 2006/2007 UJ100.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I have a built 80 with lockers but yet recently find myself obsessed with getting a 2006/2007 UJ100.

Street Fighter
AG
HCW
Complete Idiot
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

Ha, thanks I may need that.

I just constantly want new vehicles. I come up with weird justifications, like the 100 would be something more reliable I could drive more often and keep miles off my other car (which I would like to keep low mileage if possible). Maintenance and issues on the 80 are more likely than a ten year younger 100. Justify, justify.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

I just constantly want new vehicles. I come up with weird justifications, like the 100 would be something more reliable I could drive more often and keep miles off my other car (which I would like to keep low mileage if possible). Maintenance and issues on the 80 are more likely than a ten year younger 100. Justify, justify.
Welcome to my world. Go through this on a daily basis!
The Wonderer
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

But you usually buy new ones without selling old ones.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The Wonderer said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

But you usually buy new ones without selling old ones.
Leave me alone! I don't have a problem....I can quit whenever I want!!
Complete Idiot
If I had the space for more vehicles, I'd probably have a real problem. As it stands now I keep 3 at the house and two at a storage facility. Upkeep, insurance, storage fees already pretty dumb.
reddog90
AG
Post some pics of your 80. Do you have a 40?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Complete Idiot said:

If I had the space for more vehicles, I'd probably have a real problem. As it stands now I keep 3 at the house and two at a storage facility. Upkeep, insurance, storage fees already pretty dumb.

Sounds like you may already have a problem, amigo.
Complete Idiot
I DONT have a problem. I can stop whenever I want!!!!

I only do it when I'm drinking.
Complete Idiot
reddog90 said:

Post some pics of your 80. Do you have a 40?
Nope, no 40. This is my first Land Cruiser.

TSJ
AG
94 cruiser and as of very recently 04 gx470 (Prado) for the wife.

Unfortunately, we are going to probably sell the 94 soon, but man that 470 is smooth.
TxAg20
AG
I DD a '17 200.
I also camp out of it with my 5 year old for Indian Guides.

JSKolache
AG
Always liked the gx470
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

Always liked the gx470
I want to like it, but always looks too 'narrow' to me, and most of the people that drive them are women....

reddog90
AG
Anyone on here worked on a 40? Thinking about picking up a project truck and slowly working on it over the next couple years. Never done this before though.
The Wonderer
AG
reddog90 said:

Anyone on here worked on a 40? Thinking about picking up a project truck and slowly working on it over the next couple years. Never done this before though.
Leave it in 1ags' parking lo...er...driveway with a keg. Come back in 3 weeks to your restored 40.
reddog90
AG
Where do you live?
HBCanine08
AG
Used LC will by next car. I've been debating selling my '07 4Runner towards getting one.
fwag04
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Used LC will by next car. I've been debating selling my '07 4Runner towards getting one.
I was in an 06 4Runner and just upgraded to my LC. I was originally looking at 08+, but settled on an 05 after seeing some 100s in the 400-500k mile range on ih8mud. I was looking at fzj80s, but chose the 100 since it will be my daily driver and will be better on the highway.

I bought it hoping to one day expedition across South America, but that's just a pipe dream. Maybe.
The Wonderer
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Bro, step up your Tine commuter with me
aggiepaintrain
AG
https://imgur.com/a/KQQb8

08 Amazon on 285 KO2's with illegal tint
plan is to sell this and buy or build the baddest 80 you have ever seen.
to be continued.........
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
reddog90 said:

Where do you live?
Katy
reddog90
AG
I might contact you at some point. I'm in west Htown.
reddog90
AG
I feel like a restomod fj40 would be more practical as a fun car around town for me rather than an overland fzj80. I'd realistically make it to big bend or southwest CO maybe once a year to enjoy the 80 for what it's meant to do. I think a frame off resto is out of my league but I'm eager to learn. Where did you guys start? Just buy something and dig in?
will.mcg
AG
Dig in! Plan to spend twice as much money as you initially plan. Stuff you don't plan on or think about replacing you will discover needs replacing. For example, maybe you don't think about shocks, no big deal, shocks are cheap, unless you decide to get crazy. Or perhaps you drive down the road to discover your rear axle rides up the leafs because the U-bolt was just a little loose. Might better get some new U-bolts. All those few dollars add up. They're more than worth the experience though.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
reddog90 said:

I feel like a restomod fj40 would be more practical as a fun car around town for me rather than an overland fzj80. I'd realistically make it to big bend or southwest CO maybe once a year to enjoy the 80 for what it's meant to do. I think a frame off resto is out of my league but I'm eager to learn. Where did you guys start? Just buy something and dig in?
A FJ40 is fun but the FZJ80 is much more fun with creature comforts such as AC and power features, and ABS etc.

mrmill3218
AG
Here's my 80 for sale.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/toyota-land-cruiser-1996-fzj80/6306943208.html

reddog90
AG
Thanks. Would buying a modestly built, well maintained fzj80 on mud be a good route? That could save me a lot of money on bumpers, rack, lights, lift, tires, etc. Then I can enjoy and fix/maintain it myself to learn.

I have a hard time justifying ~$15k on a stock locked fzj80 with <200k miles, then putting another $10k in mods into it when I see built rigs that look like they've been maintained well in mud classifieds for just a little more money. But then I don't get to do the work myself...
Street Fighter
AG
reddog90 said:

Thanks. Would buying a modestly built, well maintained fzj80 on mud be a good route? That could save me a lot of money on bumpers, rack, lights, lift, tires, etc. Then I can enjoy and fix/maintain it myself to learn.

I have a hard time justifying ~$15k on a stock locked fzj80 with <200k miles, then putting another $10k in mods into it when I see built rigs that look like they've been maintained well in mud classifieds for just a little more money. But then I don't get to do the work myself...

Unmolested is the best route.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.