Which brodozer would you buy?

8,893 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MouthBQ98
Buck O Five
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My first instinct as a TexAgs poster who has been challenged was to take my confirmation bias to Google to find facts to support my side. Then I decided to try and be more unbiased.

Holy **** Journalism is dead. You can find a dozen articles reporting on the same bailout with wildly different stories. 10's of billions of dollars in reported differences for govt profits or losses.
mts6175
AG

Yes, but if you read it from the treasury department, they received more back than what the total distribution was. Overall, it put money back in the system, although different industries did or didn't make their obligations. But they did collect more than was dished out overall.

I hadn't looked in a while, so this is now on the front page. Looks like it's now $7.9 Billion instead of $15 Billion

Quote:

The authority to make new financial commitments under TARP ended on October 3, 2010. As of October 31, 2016, cumulative collections under TARP, together with Treasury's additional proceeds from the sale of non-TARP shares of AIG, exceed total disbursements by more than $7.9 billion. Treasury is now winding down its remaining TARP investments and is also continuing to implement TARP initiatives to help struggling homeowners avoid foreclosure.

https://www.treasury.gov/initiatives/financial-stability/TARP-Programs/Pages/default.aspx#
Agmechanic
AG
I am a ford guy, but this last version of the f250 jumps the shark for me. Interiors are great, exterior styling is good, but the truck is too damn tall to be useable.

Ford needs to come out with a "low rider" option on the 4x4's that sets them back down to where an average person can reach over the bedside.
PFG
AG
You're right. They look great on the road, but the bed is really tall. No average size guy is reaching over the side to grab a pair of boots or a tool. I made the mistake of not ordering the new tailgate step. $700 that I shouldn't need to get into the bed.

I think - and have no insight to back this up - that Ford didn't like the Dodge Ram 2500 sitting higher, so they bumped up the F250.

Now Chevy don't give 2 shats about ground clearance. You could probably tear the DEF box going over a curb.
Silvy
AG
Bro.
Corps_Ag12
AG
PFG said:

You're right. They look great on the road, but the bed is really tall. No average size guy is reaching over the side to grab a pair of boots or a tool. I made the mistake of not ordering the new tailgate step. $700 that I shouldn't need to get into the bed.

I think - and have no insight to back this up - that Ford didn't like the Dodge Ram 2500 sitting higher, so they bumped up the F250.

Now Chevy don't give 2 shats about ground clearance. You could probably tear the DEF box going over a curb.

I like that I don't have to get a running start to get into my chevy & it has plenty of ground clearance with a leveling kit. It's almost too tall at the hitch for my car trailer as it is.
PFG
AG
Quote:

it has plenty of ground clearance with a leveling kit

It seems a little silly to need a leveling kit on a new truck to give ground clearance. But I agree it's equally silly to need a ladder to get into the bed.

Ford needs to come down 2 inches
Chevy needs to come up 2 inches
BigPuma
AG
just get taller

I drive a 16 two fiddy 6.7L
I have driven a number of GMCs over the years. I like the seats in the GMC better. The overall ride on my GMC half ton was better than my 3/4 ton ford. The GM 2500 product also feels like a slug and is heavier.

Ford i think has the better motor of the two. GMC has the better transmission with the allison. I do like the solid axles and the locking hubs on the ferd.
wilhunting
AG
GMC
MouthBQ98
AG
Just make sure you go mudding, grrrrrrrl!
moore42
AG
BigPuma said:

just get taller

I drive a 16 two fiddy 6.7L
I have driven a number of GMCs over the years. I like the seats in the GMC better. The overall ride on my GMC half ton was better than my 3/4 ton ford. The GM 2500 product also feels like a slug and is heavier.

Ford i think has the better motor of the two. GMC has the better transmission with the allison. I do like the solid axles and the locking hubs on the ferd.
Interesting..but these reviews differ from what you say.

The GMC is quicker accelerating on every category and puts more power to the ground than even the ford with its inflated HP/TQ figures.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/05/whats-the-best-34-ton-premium-truck-for-2017.html

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/08/2017-one-ton-heavy-duty-pickup-challenge-dynamometer.html

and I usually dont put a lot of stock in what pickuptrucks says because they are ford homers and typically skew the stats to favor the ford in comparison tests (ie, a nicer interior (not quantifiable) trumps better performance in every statistical category)
AgEng06
AG
That's fuggin' laughable.

The Chevy was top in 9 categories and tied w/ Ford for the top in 2 others.
The Ford was top in 2 categories (and tied Chevy in for the top in 2).

The conclusion: Ford wins.
agdoc2001
AG
AgEng06 said:

That's fuggin' laughable.

The Chevy was top in 9 categories and tied w/ Ford for the top in 2 others.
The Ford was top in 2 categories (and tied Chevy in for the top in 2).

The conclusion: Ford wins.
Sure, but how many JD Power awards did it win?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mts6175
AG
PFG said:

What I have read is the new frame on the F250 is the reason it sits taller. They still used the rear blocks and the geometry causes it to be so tall.
bmeaggie
AG
Tough call with two good choices.

I can say we have had a Yukon Denali for 4 years and it has been magnificent... it's very nice of course, but also rugged and powerful.

I also had an F250 my senior year during undergrad at A&M, and never had any problems with it, but it was not quite as nice and cleanly put together as I would have preferred. Ran great, very powerful, and I remember liking the suspension a lot.

If it was me, I'd probably go with the Denali based on my limited knowledge and experience with trucks, but it would still be a close call.

Last thought...do you plan any mods for the truck (lift, tune, etc.)? If so, look into which truck has more aftermarket support near you; selection and cost of parts ...and convenient places to do the work that have great quality. Just as an example, I've got a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock and the vast knowledge 4x4 service shops have on Jeep's and the massive aftermarket for them make owning, upgrading, or repairing anything on a Jeep so much easier and cost effective vs. most other 4x4's.

That's my 0.02.

Gig 'em!
AggieOE12
AG
+1 for the Ford. IMO it is by far the better looking of the two.
KRamp90
AG
My daily driver is a 2500 HD gasser. Love it. My son is a Ford homer, and used to rib me about buying a Chevy. However, after riding a few times in my BIL's Platinum, he is at a crossroads. He likes the Ford exterior, but the Chevy interior, especially Apple Play. I vote Denali.
AggieBQ95
AG
I don't drive a 2500, but have a 1500 '17 Sierra SLE and I am very pleased with my purchase. Love the body and the interior all the way around. I mainly went with the GMC because at the time of my purchase it was the better deal, and I also didn't like Ford's lack of a "Onstar" type system. They will try to tell you they have something, but it is reliant on your phone being connected via bluetooth. I don't want to have to depend on that when me or my family are in an accident, so I choose to go with GMC, to have OnStar. Certainly to each their own, and both are quality products that people have their preferences on.
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
mts6175 said:

Yes, but if you read it from the treasury department, they received more back than what the total distribution was. Overall, it put money back in the system, although different industries did or didn't make their obligations. But they did collect more than was dished out overall.

I hadn't looked in a while, so this is now on the front page. Looks like it's now $7.9 Billion instead of $15 Billion

Quote:

The authority to make new financial commitments under TARP ended on October 3, 2010. As of October 31, 2016, cumulative collections under TARP, together with Treasury's additional proceeds from the sale of non-TARP shares of AIG, exceed total disbursements by more than $7.9 billion. Treasury is now winding down its remaining TARP investments and is also continuing to implement TARP initiatives to help struggling homeowners avoid foreclosure.

https://www.treasury.gov/initiatives/financial-stability/TARP-Programs/Pages/default.aspx#

Didn't you have a trd pro?
mts6175
AG
Very Tolerant Nice Guy said:

No, but I drove a Tundra before my F250.

Which I'm now driving a 2500HD Denali
mm98
AG
moore42 said:

FIDO*98* said:

You people are nuckin futs. Take the F250 all day everyday over the GM if you plan on keeping it more than 2 years
The irony is that most ford owners dont keep it 2 years....

That is almost exclusively attributed to 1ags bringing down the national average...
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
mts6175 said:

No, but I drove a Tundra before my F250.

Which I'm now driving a 2500HD Denali
pics or it didn't happen
MouthBQ98
AG
Get a 2wd and bro that out. It will save you money since 3/4 of brodozer owners never take theirs off anything tougher than a bumpy gravel road. You laugh, but I've seen a few 2wD trucks all dozered out.
Furlock Bones
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Get a 2wd and bro that out. It will save you money since 3/4 of brodozer owners never take theirs off anything tougher than a bumpy gravel road. You laugh, but I've seen a few 2wD trucks all dozered out.
the 4wd on these heavy ass trucks is worthless anyway.
aka Sloan Kettering aka Lazlo Hollyfeld
Silvy
AG
My friend bro'd his 2wd High Country

mts6175
AG

pics or it didn't happen
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
mts6175 said:

pics or it didn't happen

dat sumbish cleeeeeen
PFG
AG
Pretty truck. The cheese grater grill and hood vent aren't my thing, but those are nice pick-ups.
AgEng06
AG
It's not optimum, but I prefer it over the two giant chrome bars on the Super Dutys.
ILikeTacos
AG
mts6175 said:

pics or it didn't happen

Needs LS Swap.
EskimoJoe
PFG said:

Pretty truck. The cheese grater grill and hood vent aren't my thing, but those are nice pick-ups.

The hood scoop is actually functional on the Duramax.
KRamp90
PFG
AG
Making up for the after thought, side saddle DEF box.
dubi
AG
/obligatory Tundra vote

Yes I realize there is no HD option.
MisterScott
AG
Current F-250. Don't get diesel unless you need it. If you need a brodozer and don't tow, get the gasser. I have a 2016 F-350 Powerstroke and a 2017 F-450 Powerstroke. The new trucks are nicer. Rams are good, but the engine is dated but competent and reliable. The rear coil link rear end is nice. Avoid GM products. Decent powertrains. Everything else starts to wear quickly after day 1. Besides, if you get a Chevy 2500HD you need to jack it up, put a loud stereo in it and put a big longhorn sticker all across the back window. Good news is you'll be like all the other similar trucks, you will have never gone to to t.u.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.