Great BBQ

34,149 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agfan1030
petey88
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Another plug for Miller's. Went to the game Saturday in Arlington, drove back yesterday. First stop Miller's about 1 PM. Long line of folks in the dine in line. Went to the to go counter, ordered half pound lean to go, in and out in 7 minutes.

Great as usual, especially after the less than fun drive south from the Metroplex.

I-35 was closed near West, the overhead signs before the closure said 58 minutes to drive 20 miles. I went 2144 west to Valley Mills, and came on back to Belton. Lots less traffic and nice views. 35 was a parking lot.
BohunkAg
AG
They were doing an accident investigation for a fatality accident they had recently. It sucked. We drove across the overpass there by the auction barn on the way to church Sunday morning.
petey88

I was wondering about the reason, had looked at Google Maps Traffic and it was all green when I left Arlington. Then noticed a few "All Traffic Must Exit" signs before turned on the phone and saw it was closed.

Thought it wasn't a wreck, TXDOT must have closed it for whatever reason. I had intended to stop in waco to see a family member, but that changed as soon as I exited to Valley Mills.
BohunkAg
AG
Guess Family has a Ramen truck, Koko Ramen, behind Dancing Bear Pub now. Good stuff. I ate there for lunch today.

Also, both Guess and Honky Tonk Kid are getting brick and mortar locations in the near future.
agfan1030
Glad to hear that about GFB. I have to get back to Waco soon.
gigem1223
If you're ever in the area, Johnny's in Salado has really good steaks and BBQ. Plus it's Aggie owned.
agfan1030
Read on FB where Guess Family Barbecue will be "opening a restaurant in downtown Waco later this year."
Bulldog73
AG
Ate at Guess Family BBQ again yesterday, and it was delicious. Not sure their proportions were right, but it tasted great. Half pound of brisket ($9) was two skinny pieces and half pound of pork ribs (also $9) was two smaller spare ribs. All in all, it was extremely tasty, but my wife and I walked out $30 poorer and both very hungry.

Also of note they didn't have pork, sausage, or chicken yesterday either.
Illustrious Potentate
AG
BohunkAg said:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

A place in Whitney is on here. Seems like it's worth a visit. FWIW, it appears our places here in Waco that we like were both too new to have made the list.
Y'all should make the drive to try Flores. It's legitimate BBQ.
Fighting Armadillos
Fighting Armadillos
agfan1030
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Owners-of-popular-local-food-truck-set-to-open-brick-and-mortar-location-478549683.html
EMY92
AG
My truck & I made a cameo in that story.
agfan1030
Will be making a trip in the fall to enjoy their new restaurant. So happy for Reid.
Bulldog73
AG
We went to Coach's Smoke yesterday and were presently surprised at both price and quality of the food. It'll never make the Texas top 50, but still a very solid meal.
JAW3336
AG
EMY92 said:

My truck & I made a cameo in that story.
Blue Raptor, White shirt?
EMY92
AG
Yes to both.
BohunkAg
AG
It must be stressful owning a BBQ joint in Waco. First Uncle Dan, now this guy!

BohunkAg
AG
Davie (Honky Tonk Kid) opening brick and mortar downtown soon.

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco--BBQ-food-truck-operator-set-to-open-brick-and-mortar-location-480172263.html
agfan1030
Quote:

GuessFamilyBarbecue 3h3 hours ago

FREE LONESTAR TODAY Cause damn it's beautiful outside. See you soon.

Bulldog73
AG
Telling y'all, Whitney is the spot. Flores bbq.
agfan1030
I understand Reid Guess is supposed to be in the upcoming issue of TX Monthly.
agfan1030
Guess Family Barbecue has been invited to Texas Monthly Barbecue Fest in Austin in November.
EMY92
AG
That's a great event. Hopefully they get a good booth location.
BohunkAg
AG
The new Top 50 has not been posted online, but the paper version is out at your local Buc-ee's....I guess they are trying to making some $$$ on it this year....both Guess and Flores made it this year.
EMY92
AG
The turkey I just had at Guess was the best I've ever had.
templeton
BohunkAg said:

The new Top 50 has not been posted online, but the paper version is out at your local Buc-ee's....I guess they are trying to making some $$$ on it this year....both Guess and Flores made it this year.

there's no top 50 list this year.
BohunkAg
AG
templeton said:

BohunkAg said:

there's no top 50 list this year.
Yes....there is. There is a paper magazine out with the Top 50 in it.
BohunkAg
AG
I see what you are saying, but this is what I saw in the magazine....it's still a new top 50 list for better or worse:

agfan1030
agfan1030
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/reid-guess-family-barbecue-waco/

[url=https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/reid-guess-family-barbecue-waco/][/url]

[url=https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/reid-guess-family-barbecue-waco/][/url]
Quote:

...After moving to Waco in 2016, Guess has wanted to make a mark on the statewide barbecue scene. He sees his city as a bit of barbecue underdog, and along with a few other new joints in town, he's trying to change that. By the time the next Top 50 BBQ list rolls around in 2021, Waco might just be a bonafide barbecue destination...

BohunkAg
AG
New place on Richland Avenue (behind where Hobby Lobby is...in the Cafe Cappucino Center) called R&S BBQ. All I've found is a Facebook page.

https://b-m.facebook.com/R-S-Barbecue-606233536384420/

Apparently it's a man and his wife who were cooking for their church in East Waco and were encouraged to start a BBQ place. The brisket is fall apart tender and the chicken is very flavorful. Good smoke flavor. All I've had so far. The pictures on the page don't do it justice. The prices are very reasonable too. The man and his wife are both nice folks.

If you're in that area, it's worth a try. I like to help out the small business folks all I can.
agfan1030
Quote:

Guess Family Barbecue
5 hrs
Special Announcement This week, Come as we say goodbye to our current location 324 S. 6th Street. Very thankful to @apexcoffeeroasters for allowing us to be here to grow our business. We say goodbye for now but we can't wait to see you soon at our Brick and Mortar on Franklin Avenue in the near future!

GIF Reactor
AG
This looks great. I'll have to hunt this place down next time I'm up in Waco.
BohunkAg
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

This looks great. I'll have to hunt this place down next time I'm up in Waco.
It's the old Michna's building.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.