Great BBQ

34,258 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agfan1030
agfan1030
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

GuessFamilyBarbecue 7h7 hours ago

Attention!! Starting now, Thursdays are for BBQ. Our first three day week starts in 2 hours. @44farms @apexcoffeeroasters @welhousbikes

near The Silos
EMY92
AG
If there is not parking at Apex Coffee, you can park in the Dr Pepper Museum parking lot or at the center immediately north of the food trailer.
petey88

Yesterday, I stopped by Miller's. Walked in, placed a to go order of 1/4# sliced brisket, walked out, sat in my truck and had a sandwich. Total time of maybe 12 minutes, fast food can't do that.

Still fantastic BBQ, but I'm lucky as it's 5 minutes from where I live. Probably will go back today and do it again.
Hagen95
AG
I'm kinda bummed Guess and Honky Tonk all moved downtown. Farther for me to drive to get.
BohunkAg
AG
Hagen95 said:

I'm kinda bummed Guess and Honky Tonk all moved downtown. Farther for me to drive to get.
Davey (Honky Tonk) had a lamb gyro today that was awesome.
petey88

Miller's - in @ 2:30 PM, out @ 2:35 PM
EMY92
AG
I arrived early at Guess today due to my first stop being empty - the barber shop. I was done eating by 10:40. They hadn't even opened the trailer by the time I was done.

It's nice to be consistent with the order and known by everyone there.
agfan1030
from Texas Back Roads:

Quote:

Texas Back Roads at Guess Family Barbecue.
4 hrs Waco
As you might imagine, traveling around Texas I've met a few people that know a few things about a thing or two. That list includes history, bridges, fishing, the outdoors, beer, small towns, and, yes, BBQ.
So when I was looking for a new barbecue place to try, I reached out to the guys that I know that live this stuff, including Daniel Vaughn and Scott Sandlin (among others), and I was pleased to find out that I didn't even have to leave my home town of Waco to find some top-notch BBQ.
With the recent renaissance that's been happening in Waco, there's been a lot of new things arriving (breweries, food trucks, entertainment, etc.) and several other popular interests that have been reinvigorated by some new kids on the block.
While Reid Guess has a culinary background, barbecue has always been his passion and Guess Family Barbecue is now the embodiment of the thing that's been a part of his life since he was a child. Guess Family BBQ is one of those classic Texas BBQ joints that's open until they sell out, and sell out they do. They don't do anything new or fancy really, just good ol' classic barbecue that you will love. LIke their trailer says, they serve "Old School Texas Barbecue - The Same Kind Jesus Ate."
So for my lunch, I sampled some of just about everything they had. I ordered a 1/4 pound of ribs, sausage and brisket, and a side of slaw, beans with burnt ends, and the day's special of heirloom tomato salad. And like any good barbecue joint, it comes with plenty of bread and pickles, onions, and peppers. To wash it all down, I had, and I think few things pair with Texas barbecue as well as, Big Red.
If you want to check out Guess for yourself, they're located at 324 6th Street in Waco, TX and they're open Thursday -Saturday 11 AM - when they sell out. I'd suggest you get there early because they do sell out.
Guess Family BBQ - Waco, TX

agfan1030
Quote:

Guess Family Barbecue
2 hrs
We will be at our regular location @apexcoffeeroasters Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for lunch. PLUS come out to @balconesdistillery Friday at 5pm and catch the special menu for @firstfridaywaco Aug 3 / 5-8 pm

petey88

Miller's Monday - in @ 12, out @ 12:10
docaggie
AG
I always order to go and it takes no time at Miller's.
Their desserts are fantastic, but awful for my waistline.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
petey88

better than any fast food, and especially what's nearby. Only do sliced lean to go, one quarter or one half pound. Yet to try the desserts, have seen stories how great they are.

Since during the week they close at 2 pm, I don't have a chance to go by for a pie slice in the afternoon. I am always busy on Friday, Saturday & Sunday most of the day being retired.

Best thing in Belton,... I am going to miss it,...relocating soon far away.
agsalaska
AG
Miller's is leaving? They just moved.
c-jags
I'm assuming he means he is moving, not millers.
petey88
c-jags said:

yeah, I'm leaving. No need to stick around here, I retired early. Some don't care for my smart ass anyway, but I don't really care, I am brutally honest. Anyway, it's been good to learn stuff here abut the area. I do like Belton a lot, but recent events only solidified my decision to get out, and now
c-jags
petey88 said:

c-jags said:

yeah, I'm leaving. No need to stick around here, I retired early. Some don't care for my smart ass anyway, but I don't really care, I am brutally honest. Anyway, it's been good to learn stuff here abut the area. I do like Belton a lot, but recent events only solidified my decision to get out, and now
be honest.

it was the bond, wasn't it?
petey88
c-jags said:

petey88 said:

c-jags said:

be honest.

it was the bond, wasn't it?

nope, but interesting observation. I'm pulling all out of the bank, and heading out. Better opportunities elsewhere, helluva lot cheaper living, and not putting up with ass holes.

I had decided to move a few months ago, timetable got moved up. Only here right now starting to wrap up, leave and never set foot here again.

agsalaska
AG
Wow. Really? How could Belton possibly be so bad?
c-jags
the cheaper living comment is most interesting. Bell County has one of the lowest costs of living in the state if not nation. unless you're moving to a small town, i can't think of a place that i'd move to for lower CoL.
agsalaska
AG
I was thinking the same thing. COL in Bell Co is next to nothing.
petey88

depends on your perception, I owe no money, haven't in 25 years, nor used credit.

It's just my dog and I, so no need for a big house and property that I have to maintain at my age.

basically, I am cutting my living expenses 70% because of downsizing & lifestyle. Plus where I am going, I can use my skills to work for myself if I choose to do so, and charge fair market value rate.

Chances are better I am not going back to work, and especially for someone else.
agsalaska
AG
Cool. So where are you going?
petey88

the coast
c-jags
Best of luck. Enjoyed your posts over the years.
petey88

just got back yesterday afternoon after week of checking things out. Visited Port Lavaca, Seadrift, Port Alto, Port O Conner, Rockport, Goose Island State Park & Austwell.

I like the whole area,....heat index Monday afternoon was 108, not much fun,...but that is why they invented hotels & AC.
BohunkAg
AG
THIS IS A BBQ THREAD

just kidding.
petey88
BohunkAg said:

THIS IS A BBQ THREAD

just kidding.

yep, Bo,...

it is,...I have an appointment to sell my other truck at 2, so after that is Miller's time,...still hafta go remove the tool box out o the back or I would be at Miller's right now.
BohunkAg
AG
Davey over at Honky Tonk kid had just about the best thing I've ever eaten on his special this week. Was amzaing.

petey88

looks good, too bad I don't care to drive to or for waco
agfan1030
Quote:

Guess Family Barbecue is attending 10th Anniversary at Dancing Bear Pub.
29 mins Waco
Tomorrow is the tenth anniversary of Waco's Dancing Bear Pub. To celebrate we're starting early at noon with two other food trucks for a friendly competition.
Come try the specialty dish we made just for this occasion. Don't forget to vote us as your favorite! Just remember, we won't be at the usual spot tomorrow, we'll be having a good time over at 1117 Speight Avenue, Waco, TX 76706.

for Saturday 8/26
petey88

Dancing Bear Pub

NFW
BohunkAg
AG
Went to Guess today and had the giant beef rib. Was mighty tasty.
agfan1030
Guess Family Barbecue will be at Dancing Bear Pub Saturday for Oktoberfest (in September) from 12:00-8:00 with a special menu with brats, turkey legs, pickled deviled eggs, and more. 1117 Speight Avenue, Waco, TX 76706!!!
petey88

Quick trip to Miller's for lunch, walked in at 2 PM, no line. My gal had an excellent turkey sandwich & beans, I had lean briskett sandwich. Out in 20 minutes.

Wanted to eat lunch there yesterday, but got busy and it was already 2 PM when I checked. They close at 2 Monday through Thursday.

Belton Market Days are tomorrow, probably will have lunch again there.
agfan1030
Guess Family Barbecue: Exciting event tonight! Chad S. Conine, the author of Texas Sports and a close friend of ours, will be signing books from 6:00-8:00 tonight! There will be tacos.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.