What are your favorite memories of Corpus Christi?

66,182 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by B-1 83
Bunkhouse96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The KIII theme song back in the day..."there's a feeling in the air that you can't get anywhere except South Texas...makes no difference where I go, you're the best place that I know, Hello South Texas, Hello South Texas, TV 3 loves you!"
Pro Sandy
AG
i think i remember the whole song... I am sure I got some words wrong...

How sad is this.

there's a feeling in the air that you can't get anywhere except South Texas
From the gulf of mexico, i can see you on the go, reaching towards the sky
standing side by side, we share a glowing pride, we're just good neighbors passing by
makes no difference where I go, you're the best place that I know, Hello South Texas, Hello South Texas, TV 3 loves you!
GreasenUSA
AG
someone's gotta have this on an old video somewhere that they can put on youtube....
1984Consol
WOW! I remember the old TV 3 jingle! I would like to see that on youtube and I would love to hear an mp3 of the CCNB jingle if that is at all possible.

"Corpus Christi, home sweet home,
sparklin' by the sea.
I got friends in Corpus Christi- at the double C N B"

I just took a virtual tour of Corpus in google maps street view. The old A-frame Der Weinershnitzel on SPID at Weber is still there- brings back memories.

I remember when the new DW was built on Everhart at Bonner. they made a big deal about the building being a new DW prototype. It was maybe a mile from our house on Parliament Drive so I went there alot.

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 9/11/2008 10:13p).]
1984Consol
I also remember Maverick Market. I am thinking there was one on Weber across from Caroll high School. (Could be wrong though). We would frequent Jr. food Mart in the shopping center at Everhart and Bonner. the store faced the Curtis Clark side. Back then, Flynn Parkway didnt even go through to SPID like it does now. It dead ended at Stonegate Way. I would have to ride my bike by the ditch that used to be there to get to work at Furr's Cafeteria. I don't even remember that Embassy Suites hotel that is now at the corner of Flynn Parkway and SPID.

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 9/11/2008 10:30p).]
Pro Sandy
AG
i thought tv-3 really loved me... turns out they just bought the song I figured Joe Gazin himself wrote it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKls4eP1xJU "Hello Atlanta"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POTL4aAGpfM&feature=related "Hello Indiana"
1984Consol
Well I must admit after hearing those I was angry- I thought that was written especially for south Texas for channel 3 but apparently even here in TN it was done for Nashville. But after hearing it, it brought back some more wonderful momeories so thank you for the link. I guess it was a smart move on the part of the songwriter.
racerfink
The DW is on Koztoryz. I passed by in many a day on the way home from South Park Jr. High.
pickle_chips
-the ice cream shop off SPID,Prices, they had the best Tutti Fruit and Cinnamon ice cream!
-trying to remember the color of the bikini the Legs Lady was wearing last time we drove by
-going to Kids Time Out while mom went to Feminic, and then to Gatti's next door afterwards
-Lipstick saloon across from shopping center with Kids Time Out
- those commercials with the kid from Delta Tire
LoneStarFree
quote:
-Lipstick saloon

I "dated" a stripper named "liz" from that establishment back in the day, dumb as a box of rocks but damn good in the sack.
1984Consol
Look what I found!! TV 3 loves you!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTuQDsFGDCY
PLUM LOCO
AG
Big 8 Raceway, slot car track on Lexington Blvd. before it became SPID...
nu awlins ag
AG
who could forget mavrick market and kite season! bob lacy ford, hwys 44 and 77 in robstown, right on the corner, right on the price.
LoneStarFree
Rollin' by "Woody's" in the cut, to buy 3 for 5.
huisache
The guy who was the voice of Bob Lacy Ford is now the Whataburger guy. He's an actor in Austin.
nu awlins ag
AG
the "cut" was always the place to go see what the "other" side looked and lived like. this of course coming from the rich kids in Portland, as we were referred to.
cmohle
AG
FISHING in LM early mornings, driving down PI to LS/BS, before they ruined it by making it a NS. Those were the days!! Will never be repeated.

"57"
fishngame06
AG
nu awlins ag - I was also on that so called rich kids in Portland list (although I didn't live in Northshore).
nu awlins ag
AG
we should hang our heads in shame.
LoneStarFree
I was a Bluff Rat
nu awlins ag
AG
back in my day, the bluff was known as the "heavy" druger's as well as King. although king was laced with hot chics.
AgCat93
AG
Dad had an uncle who lived in Robstown and I think was the Nueces County Extension Agent for a good many years. I always enjoyed going down there to see them and Dad spent many summers there as a kid. Always good memories of them.

I got one helluva sunburn at Mustang Island about 20 years ago. It was bad enough I have scars across my shoulders at the top of my back because of the blisters. I'm reminded of that weekend each year when it's time to pull out the sun screen.
Agg87
A few:

Elizabeth's by the Sea
The H.E.B. at Sunrise Mall (later Steinmart, now empty)
Frenchy's (was next to Snoopy's)
C-101 Sea Sculptures bikini contests
West L.A. Social Club
Edelweiss German restaurant on Airline
Catfish Charlie's
CC Dockside (was that what the floating restaurant was called before Landry's?? I met Garth Brooks in there before he was famous)
the old Kiko's (next door to present one)
the go karts on North Beach
Craig's Record Factory
LoneStarFree
The Bluff was/is just like any other community. They have their scumbags, but they also have lots of law abiding citizens.
LoneStarFree
quote:
Frenchy's (was next to Snoopy's

Mr. French was a dickwad.
harrierdoc
AG
what about the old water slide park out toward the bluff (I think it was that far out there).

Benjamin's..

everybody's been jammin',
Benjamin's
come into the ocean store
Jammin' to the season,

you get the rest.
harrierdoc
AG
dp.

[This message has been edited by harrierdoc (edited 10/4/2010 2:35p).]
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
FISHING in LM early mornings, driving down PI to LS/BS, before they ruined it by making it a NS. Those were the days!! Will never be repeated.
How did this work? I thought it was all private ranch land prior to the park?
keepfred
AG
Hey where the hell is everybody? Been waiting on a new post for six years...
Aggie87
AG
A few nightclubs from the late 80's/early 90's:
The one at Gaslight Square with the glass elevator inside (was that Cooper's Alley?)
Elizabeth's by the Sea - cool open-air nightclub downtown with live music
Bobaruba's
Dallas nightclub at Parkdale Plaza (and the one next to it, forget it's name)

Other things:
Best (now KIII studios)
Service Merchandise
Pizza Chef - used to be across the street from the Athletic Club, great pizza, then the owner moved out to Padre Island and it was never as good again. I think its Padre Pizzeria now.
The old Chevy dealership on Leopard street
Used to be a Skaggs grocery store on Saratoga/Staples too, where they later put the Gattitown (which is also now closed)
I think the dude on tv mentioned earlier in this thread was Mando Camino. Had some sort of local show about what was going on in CC.
Mervyn's at Sunrise Mall (and Montgomery Wards)
Crushed (used cd store somewhere on SPID)
George's Steakhouse in Flour Bluff -Greek place with good chicken fried steak, later has been a couple of barbecue joints but closed now
Crystal's at Parkdale Plaza - good happy hour margaritas
Remember when there was a movie theater upstairs in Padre Staples (now La Palmera) Mall?
keepfred
AG
Niteclubs:
The Cannery on Kostoryz
Tramp Steamer - disco days may they never return
Mars on Robert St. - featuring legendary Little Ducks from Mars
The Ritz downtown - saw Def Leppard there in 1981
Cooper's Alley
keepfred
AG
Kaliedescope - two locations, great commercials and theme song
Down South - head shop across from the old mall where Pizza Hut stood for a while
Cantwell sleep without a cantwell mattress
Charlie Thomas Courtesy Ford - another great commercial song
The Horn Shop on Staples
Braslau's on Staples, used to be a Little League Field behind it
Tape Town Audio and Craig's Record Factory
Texan Grocery - allowed minors to peruse Playboys in magazine rack
Angelo's Pizza
lazuras_dc
AG
I thought Best was where shop @ La Palmera is now... I imagine like where TJ Max is.

Also Oshman's in Sunrise Mall
Cinema 6, Theater in Padre Staples, and Dollar Theater (i know its still there but not the same)
Tilt and Aladdin's Castle (arcades in the malls- no idea if still there)
lazuras_dc
AG
Anyone remember the Big Fisherman in AP with the tigers and stuff?
Brush Country Ag
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Anyone remember the Big Fisherman in AP with the tigers and stuff?

Yep. Then it burned. Reopened and is now closed. The daughter just opened the "Fishermans Daughter" in Ingleside. Haven't checked it out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.