What are your favorite memories of Corpus Christi?

66,202 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by B-1 83
AggsTuff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The big plastic cow/bull on a flatbed trailer at the Sirloin Stockade (I believe it was on Staples Street).
Watching the Seagulls at Cabaniss Field.
Chelsea's Street Pub - great karaoke and $3.00 Texas Teas.
Concerts at Hollywood Nights. (Saw Shania Twain there for the first time....can you say HOT!!)
1984Consol
OH WOW! I forgot all about that plastic bull. That building if I am not mistake used to be a Western Sizzlin'.
SA Ag
Way back in the middle ages, when I was a wee lad, my Mom and Dad would get together with my aunt and uncle (and two boys) and we would go to CC every 4th of July for about five years. This was before the current bay bridge; there was a drawbridge instead. My Dad would find a place to stay, the male adults would go fishing and the ladies would take us lads to the beach.
GreasenUSA
AG
Chelsea's Street Pub...ahh thats a good one...used to go there after my dad's softball games with all his team mates and order the milkshake...damn i miss that
1984Consol
Does anyone know why Schanen Estates Pool was closed/apperently demolished? When I went back to Corpus in July of 1996 the pool was gone- and so was Burger Chalet.

nelson muntz
Was there something else there or just vacant land?

I have some pictures at that pool from when I was a small kid (about 30-35 years ago), but I don't really remember the pool. It wasn't something I ever went back and checked on later on in life.
1984Consol
I am thinking it was vacant land- I really dont remember. I had such fond memeories of going to the pool after school and on saturdays.
Uncle Nasty
Wished I still lived there...I still enjoy going to the Astor or the Torch. The Q-Pub just closed their doors for good a few months ago.

Loved Babarubas on SPID when I would come down for college weekends in the summer of Elizabeth's downtown.
harrierdoc
AG
Oh boy,

The Burger Chalet! I can remember dropping some serious dimes in that darn juke box listening to the BeeJees, etc...

The Maverick Market was the place to be. As a kid, me and my buds would go around with a wagon along the ditch and collect bottles. We would then go up to the MM and turn them in for $$$.

I went to Schanen Elementary. I remember Coach Haas. He was a really big black man (at least to a first grader) who made us do jumping jacks while spelling out "S-C-H-A-N-E-N". I remember it snowing in first grade and we were let out of class to go play in it. I had just returned from Denver, so I didn't think it was a big deal.

The little league field over off of Holly was great. They gave free snow cones for foul balls.

I played for the city champion "Javelina's" in little league football with coaches Curran and Sullivan (Pete and Tommy's dads) in 1976 I think it was.

I remember the devestation of Celia right after my 4th birthday party.

I remember riding my horse with friends through the Country Club's golf course and getting chased. Our stables were out at Saratoga and Staples. We had a great time out there.

I remember taking ball room dancing over at the CCCC for one session. I hated it. I wish now that I would have learned some of it!

I remember getting cable TV for the first time. I remember the MPACT machine in front of the K-Mart on SPID and Everhart.

I remember the old Les Feldser's commercials where he would dress up in a sombrero and sing really bad in Spanish.

I remember the Spanish shows on TV Sunday morning. I got a kick out of watching them.

Thanks for asking. I don't usually look over this area. I will do so more often.

[This message has been edited by harrierdoc (edited 2/9/2008 10:16a).]
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
I remember taking ball room dancing over at the CCCC for one session. I hated it. I wish now that I would have learned some of it!

Oh yes, good ole Invitational Dance Lessons. I think my mom had my brother and I go just so we could rub elbows with Corpus Christi's elite. I had to go for 4 years, from 5th grade through 8th grade.
harrierdoc
AG
quote:
How could I forget about driving through the ritzier parts of town to look at Christmas lights. There was a house that had the whole house and yard covered with decorations. I think it was just off of Doddridge, between Alameda and Ocean Dr.

I believe that was the Aldrige house. They owned one of the electronics/TV places in town. I loved that place. They had movies playing on the side of the house, great decorations and lights. I remember when they stopped doing it. It was a sad day for CC. When I was a kid, we would drive over and spend about 30 minutes just walking around that house alone. We would then drive up and down the neighborhoods to check out the other lights, then drive down Shoreline Drive. When we got back home, Santa had always been there and dropped off my presents. I never figured out how he knew we were gone then.
GreasenUSA
AG
great memories, harrierdoc
Burger
AG
I wish I would have paid more attention at Invitational as well! Both of my sisters were assistants for the guy who taught the class.
GreasenUSA
AG
IIIII Loovvee Paul York!
Aggie09Derek
AG
Going on the Columbus ships on field trips when I was in elementary school.
cmohle
AG
Fishing in laguna Madre in the early AM hours, trout feeding under gulls as far as you could see. Never see that sight again!! 60's

"57"
TAMURol
AG
"Dont drink the coffee" commercials

Price's Ice Cream

Bay Ball Ballyhoop at Sunrise parking lot

MD Surf and Skate

Listening to Ric Flair come to town and say "Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi...you make my eyes misty! Whooooooooooo!"
D.J. Flores
AG
Metallica in the COLISEUM

Bon Jovi in the COLISEUM
Fall92
AG
In no particular order:

Joske's
BEST
Baca's
Nolan's Steakhouse
Miller Lite's biggest party at the NAS w/ Cheap Trick and Huey Lewis
Boat n' Net during Lent
1990's Carroll football
Benjamin's (the original one in the Bluff that was in Billie Jean)
The Dragon Lounge
Hamlin Pharmacy burgers
Panjo's
Fall92
AG
Couple of other things:

ocho-ocho-ocho is the elder Brunkenhoefer lawyer
Maverick Market- how could I forget. They sold the best ice cream and their candy was cheap
There used to be a place on the southside that sold fish sandwhiches. Something Chalet. It was pretty good.
I used to "park" in the fields behind Buckingham. It's all residential now.
T Bar M

[This message has been edited by Fall92 (edited 8/20/2008 10:35a).]
LoneStarFree
quote:
Benjamin's (the original one in the Bluff that was in Billie Jean)

Pretty sure that was Dockside.
FAST FRED
AG
I was conceived there.

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.
MAROON
AG
moved there in 83 after A&M. Lived there until 87..what a culture shock from growing up in Houston.

Walter Furley - that CBS station was so low budget it was crazy
Barney the Weather Dog
Cooper's Alley
Cantina Santa Fe
Josie's Mexican Food
The Yardarm
B&J's Pizza and Imported Beer Drinkers Club...I'm still in the book!
The Club on SPID I think by Staples...
Friday afternoon golf at Oso Bay
Kramer's night club
The chick who worked at Ernst & Whinney (TCB Tower)

[This message has been edited by MAROON (edited 8/22/2008 11:46a).]
Pro Sandy
AG
I am surprised I haven't seen the 'cudas! My dad and I made just about every game for their 2 seasons. I even had a pennant up in my bedroom as a kid of their '94 championship year. That league was so low, it was a step up to get sent to the Mexican leagues...

LoneStarFree
Bernie Seals.
Producers_96
AG
Phil Sokalov (sp?), the lisping weatherman on the world's worst newscast.

"There'th a vithiouth thorm in the Gulf of Mekthico..."
aggieroy86
AG
I remember-
-cruising Everhart from Sonic back to Staples
-Maverick Market
-Fuedos grocery for the best fruit and produce ever
-Holly's drive-in convience store at Carroll Ln and SPID
-When you had to pay to go to Mustang island and wait for ever coming home on Saturday evening for the draw bridge
-when you could still drive dune buggies in the dunes at the beach, that was a blast!
-Braniff House at the beach
-Riding on Texas Internation peanut flight to Houston Inter-continental
-the first time I saw one of those ugly Orange(Southwest Airlines) 737's at the airport in Corpus. Should have bought lot's of that stock.
-Watching wrestling at the coliseum. Jose Latherio was the greatest. He would whip the masked guy every time!
-Bodine-Scott A/C, and the Fedders A/C robot on the side of every blue van they had.
-Boat-n-net and that PVC pipe intercom
-Whataburger on Gollihar with all those fish tanks
-playing in the surf at CC beach
-fishing at the T-heads
-Collier pool and Red Cross swimming lessons in that cold morning water. Dodging the spraying water to get to the pool.
FlagFootballGuy
At the risk of repeating several......
-Taco Bell on Everhart
-The "Winnsteads" commercial
-The 30ft girl at "Wolfy's"
-Racing bikes around Carroll High School halls
-Texas BBQ on Carroll/SPID (and Der Wienerschnietzel)
-WOW (way out weber)
-Buc Days and Bayfest
-MD Surf & Skate
-Cole Park "fun runs"
-Maverick Market
-South Park Jr. High
-Ship Ahoy Downtown
-Hanging out at CCAC
-The hill at west guth park
-Any nighttime drive over the harbor bridge
-Magic Isles / AquaThrillway

FlagFootballGuy
Oh and who could forget Gulf Skate and Skateland?
racerfink
All right, another Black Knight! When did you go there?
LoneStarFree
quote:
Magic Isles / AquaThrillway

"The HIMALAAAAAAAAAAAAYAN!"
FlagFootballGuy
racer....I was there from 84-86, if I remember correctly. When were you there?

Lonestar....good call on the best ride at magic isle!!!
racerfink
I was there in '80-'81, 7th grade and part of 8th before my family moved back out to the Bluff.
ag97tx
AG
I can't believe that there are 2 other South Park Black Knights on here. I was there from 1987-1989.
racerfink
I'm think that Mrs. Morrow that taught 8th Grade English there is the mother of Rob Morrow from "Northern Exposure" and "Numb3rs". I remember her talking about him being an actor and living out in hollywood when I had her class. But I can't find anything out to confirm or deny.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.