Covid-19 in the RGV

17,444 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by scottimus
Duckhook
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PJYoung said:

Hidalgo County shelter in place until April 10th.

Sounds like there will be a decently long list of essential businesses excluded. We will see when it gets online.

As an aside, it is brutal to listen to a lot of our local leaders speak.

If it's anything like Cameron County's list (and I think everybody is using the same boilerplate language), the list of essential businesses and allowed activities is as long as your arm. While the list of prohibited activities/businesses (while not enumerated) is probably as long as your finger.
RGV AG
AG
Yeah, it is basically BS. At least from my viewpoint.
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

Essential Healthcare Operations. Healthcare operations, including hospitals, clinics, dentists, pharmacies, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, other healthcare facilities, healthcare suppliers, mental health providers, substance abuse service providers, blood banks, medical research, laboratory services, or any related and/or ancillary healthcare services. Home-based and residential-based care for seniors, adults, or children are also considered healthcare operations. Healthcare operations also includes veterinary care and all health and welfare services provided to animals. This exemption shall be viewed broadly to avoid any impacts to the delivery of healthcare. Healthcare operations do not include fitness and exercise gyms and similar facilities. Healthcare operations do not include elective medical, surgical, and dental procedures as established in accordance with Subsection 1(e) of this Order. Essential Government Functions. All services provided by local governments needed to ensure the continuing operation of the government agencies to provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public. Including but not limited to: (1) First responders (2) Emergency Management personnel (3) Institutions of Higher Learning (3) School personnel to include and limited to staff identified by each School's governing authority for the purposes carrying out established meal and instructional materials distribution or pickup.

Each governing authority shall identify and designate appropriate employees, contractors, or vendors to assist in providing and effectuating Essential Government Functions. Further, nothing in this order shall prohibit any individual from performing or accessing "Essential Government Functions." All Essential Government Functions shall be performed in compliance with Social Distancing including maintaining six-foot social distancing for both employees and the general public; washing hands with soap and water at least twenty seconds often or using hand sanitizer; covering coughs or sneezes; cleaning high-touch surfaces; not shaking hands Essential Critical Infrastructure. Work necessary to the operations and maintenance of the 16 critical infrastructure sectors as identified by the National Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency (CISA) including public works construction, residential and commercial construction, airport operations, water, sewer, gas, electrical, oil refining, roads and highways, public transportation, solid waste collection and removal, internet, and telecommunications systems (including the provision of essential global, national, and local infrastructure for computing services, business infrastructure, communications, and web-based services), banking and financial institutions, defense and national security-related operations, essential manufacturing operations provided that they carry out those services or that work in compliance with social distancing including maintaining six foot social distancing for both employees and the general public. This includes businesses that provide repair, maintenance, services and/or supplies to those businesses identified as critical infrastructure. Essential Businesses providing essential infrastructure should implement screening precautions to protect employees and all activity shall be performed in compliance with social distancing including maintaining six foot social distancing for both employees and the general public; washing hands with soap and water at least twenty seconds often or using hand sanitizer; covering coughs or sneezes; cleaning high-touch surfaces; not shaking hands. Essential Retail. Food service providers, including grocery stores, warehouse stores, big-box stores, bodegas, farmers markets, farm and produce stands, food banks, liquor stores, gas stations and convenience stores, that sell food, dry goods, pet food and supplies and related products and household necessities. Agriculture, food cultivation, beverage cultivation, farming, fishing, and livestock production, including processing and distribution. Businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, goods or services directly to residences. Restaurants and other facilities that prepare and serve food, for the purposes of drive-thru, delivery or carry out. Schools and other entities that typically provide free services to students or members of the public on a pick-up and take-away basis only

The restriction of delivery or carry out does not apply to cafes and restaurants located within hospital and medical facilities. Pawn shop, Title Loan, and Personal Loan businesses, for the purposes of providing cash loan services. Laundromats, dry cleaners, and laundry service providers. Auto-supply, auto and bicycle repair, hardware stores, and related facilities. Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home. Professional services, such as legal or accounting services, and insurance services when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities. All activity shall be performed in compliance with social distancing including maintaining six-foot social distancing for both employees and the general public; washing hands with soap and water at least twenty seconds often or using hand sanitizer; covering coughs or sneezes; not shaking hands. Essential Services. Businesses that provide basic necessities to economically disadvantaged populations. Businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals.All activity shall be performed in compliance with social distancing including maintaining six foot social distancing for both employees and the general public; washing hands with soap and water at least twenty seconds often or using hand sanitizer; covering coughs or sneezes; cleaning high-touch surfaces; not shaking hands. Essential Services Necessary to Maintain Essential Operations of Residences or Other Essential Businesses. Bus, train, or airplane travel (including persons in transit). Trash and recycling collection, processing and disposal, mail and shipping services, building cleaning, maintenance and security, warehouse/distribution and fulfillment, storage for essential businesses, funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries. Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, HVAC-technicians, general repair contractors, landscaping and pool maintenance service providers, home-security and other service providers, contractors or businesses who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operations of residences and Essential Businesses. Businesses that provide goods and supplies, to other essential businesses which require such goods or supplies to operate. Transportation, maintenance, repair of transportation related equipment including but not limited to vehicles. All activity shall be performed in compliance with social distancing including maintaining six foot social distancing for both employees and the general public; washing hands with soap and water least twenty seconds often or using hand sanitizer; covering coughs or sneezes; cleaning high-touch surfaces; not shaking hands. -

Childcare Services. Childcare facilities providing services that enable employees exempted in this Order to work as permitted.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Problem is that the undereducated can easily be duped into thinking that they might get pulled over or detained if they are out ............ even though as in our case they are essential agricultural workers.

Not all of them are altar boys

If we slow down harvesting in this heat we will be screwed.
AG
Ya'll ever do it under lights?

I tell you what, I hafta think that there is a lot of conniving and figuring going on at the lower wage levels. I know the wifa is experiencing some and I have talked to some other folks across the country that are as well. As the word or perception is out that "I can lay outta work and get paid for it if I say I was sick".
RGV AG
AG
Man, prices look pretty good. The report says demand high supplies light? Y eso?

I was concerned for you all with all the eating places slowing down, but maybe folks are hoarding onions too? More Mexican loads YTY, so that has to be good for you all.
RGV AG
AG
PJYoung
AG

Quote:

EDINBURG, Texas Hidalgo County Judge Richard Cortez announcing a ninth person in the county testing positive for COVID-19. The judge announcing on Thursday morning.
The patient is a 31-year-old male from the city of Pharr and is hospitalized at a location outside of Hidalgo County, health officials said.
Both Hidalgo County health officials and Pharr city officials are working to determine who the patient may have had contact with. Those who have direct contact with the patient will be contacted by health officials. Because this is the early stages of the investigation, there are no additional details at this time.
Centerpole90
AG
Have case #1 in Willacy. It's a elementary school age child from Raymondville and it's a community spread case. (there's a 99.9% probability that cases here will be community spread, not a lot of 'world' travelers in these parts)

@RGVAG - BBQ here in the 80's was pretty thin, there was only one I can remember - the Big R. It was just north of Raymondville, but it wasn't on Bus 77, it was on the expressway, between the B&E Texaco (where exp & bus77 split) and town. I'm pretty it's the one you are thinking of - Big R BBQ, it did get one of those Texas Monthly mentions and it was the sole 'BBQ' spot in these parts. They did a good bit of business. It closed sometime around 2000 +/-
RGV AG
AG
Quote:

@RGVAG - BBQ here in the 80's was pretty thin, there was only one I can remember - the Big R. It was just north of Raymondville, but it wasn't on Bus 77, it was on the expressway, between the B&E Texaco (where exp & bus77 split) and town. I'm pretty it's the one you are thinking of - Big R BBQ, it did get one of those Texas Monthly mentions and it was the sole 'BBQ' spot in these parts. They did a good bit of business. It closed sometime around 2000 +/-
Yes, I think that was it. It was right before the old Y or right on on the Y where 77/77Bus split. Forgive my lack of preciseness on Raymondville geography. I used to buy some stuff at Chuy's Meats there as well back in the day, when I visited Port Mickey Mouse frequently.

The BBQ in that place was really pretty darn good.

The BBQ places now in the RGV, most of them, are kinda glossy and going out of their way to "cool". But back in the 80's and early 90's, before the BBQ craze there were damm stout BBQ places in the area. Butch's Meat Market between Palmview and La Joya was outstanding, was one of those places similar to the downtown Waco places that you needed to get to early or they sold out. You could buy a six pack in the convenience store next door and eat BBQ out front. I heard it burned down sometime in the early 90's.

There used to be a guy that had a big mobile pit, older gentleman, that would set up in various locations in the upper Valley. Mainly in the military hwy area around the trade zone and sometime up north on Sugar road. His BBQ was phenomenal and very inexpensive.

Port Isabel had the place on Maxxan street, which was usually hit, but could on occasion be a miss. Very reasonable too, their sausage and chicken was outstanding. Lonestar in San Benny is usually fairly good too. I love the beans there.
Duckhook
AG
You mean Longhorn Cattle Company, not Lonestar. Not a fan of their brisket. Ribs and other items are good.

Smoke Texas BBQ is a newish place in Harlingen in the old bakery on W Harrison. Pretty good. Smoking Oak in Mercedes is good as well.
Centerpole90
AG
^
What he said.

Smoke and Smoking Oak are winners.
RGV AG
AG
Yes sir, thanks for correcting me.

I have had some from the Mercedes place, and it is pretty good. Agree about Longhorn cattle co, their brisket is mediocre, but the sausage and such is very good. I love their beans. Taste like the old school US cafeteria pinto's.

I tell you what, BBCutie has some incredibly good smoked turkey, I mean it is as good as I have ever eaten.
RGV AG
AG
Zumba instructor/studio owner in Mission who had been giving classes, multiple, through two days ago tested positive. Caught it from a son that had traveled, and som was likely positive 2 weeks ago.

Apparently, as per usual, RGV testing is lagging and not many tests available. But likely cases about to go WFO.

Mexico is no cokes, no smokes, and no jokes about to restrict entry for non-Mexican citizens, possibly by next week.
Centerpole90
AG
I have a longtime friendship with Manny Vela, who's the CEO @ Valley Baptist Health System. Despite his poor choice of educational institutions (ya, that one ) Manny is aces by me and just a good guy. I called him this morning with the intent of leaving a VM telling him I was thinking of him and praying for his staff. We haven't talked in a while and I never expected to get to actually talk to him, but he picked up and I did. They are doing their best to be prepared for what's to come if and when they get slammed - but like we've said in this thread - the lag hasn't kicked in yet and we talked about how the REAL crisis here could come after a lot of people are dealing with cabin fever and just ready to GET OUT.

to your point RGV-

Any chance Mexico would build a wall to keep Americans out????

and pay for it?

Asking for a friend.
RGV AG
AG
They ain't building no wall, jajaja (laughs in Spanish).

I lean a little more left than most folks on Texags, but years ago I got into a nasty spat with Kieth DB, who I pretty much got along with as compared to others. He was hammering and criticizing LatAm countries that barred entry for Africans during the Ebola crisis.

My point to his dumb ass was that these poor countries could in no way handle an epidemic, they would fall fast ass a part. He didnt understand the implications on a limited resource limited country/populace, he only saw racism. The dip chit.

None of those countries can handle the catastrophe, there the catastrophe would be worse than the scrounge.
Centerpole90
AG
RGV AG said:

My point to his dumb ass was that these poor countries could in no way handle an epidemic, they would fall fast ass a part.
driving factor.
RGV AG
AG
I am afraid the lag you mention is very real and might be very hard to deal with. Even today, this far south sliver of odd, warm, and particular humanity is oft forgotten. And on this deal, you can bet your sweety bippy it will be forgotten.
PJYoung
AG
https://www.themonitor.com/2020/03/27/dshs-rgv-72-available-icu-beds-143-ventilators/
RGV AG
AG
Think about those numbers and how paltry they are for what is probably 1.5 to 1.7 million people on just the US side of the river.

A couple of Reynosa hospitals and clinics hung banners outside that said "we don't treat the corona virus, we have no tests, if you feel sick go home".
PJYoung
AG
Cappo
AG
anyone been to HEB lately? lol
PJYoung
AG
Cappo said:

The one in san juan actually had a half full parking lot at 930a this morning. That's new.

10 more cases in hidalgo county today. Up to 38.
Cappo
AG
PJYoung said:

Cappo said:

The one in san juan actually had a half full parking lot at 930a this morning. That's new.

10 more cases in hidalgo county today. Up to 38.
I'll try the one on Trenton tomorrow for a few things
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Lots of payroll and other payments going out to peeps today and tomorrow

Be interesting to see how that impacts shoppers activities

The whole 6 foot thing is slowing down retail sales to some extent itself
AG
South 2nd early in the morning is not crowded and seems to have it all except TP.
Duckhook
AG
Cappo said:

Expressway HEB in Harlingen is looking more back-to-normal. I was there Sunday morning. Canned veggies really sparse, but a lot of everything else that was empty a couple of weeks ago.
Centerpole90
AG
One on Morgan was decent last week according to MrsCP.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
PI about normal. (For PI standards)
Except for beef. Still sux

Lots of people get paid tomorrow

Dying to see what that's going to do to foot traffic at stores and drive thru at the chicken and chinese joints
AG
South 2nd Street in McAllen had a good amount of TP and other paper products, beef looked well stocked, plenty of chicken. Canned goods were plentiful, the only thing that looked sparse was the Beans, lots of rice.

In the past I had always been able to buy dry red beans and split peas and such, but today they were down to about 30 bags of pintos and lots of black beans. Hardly crowded at all.
oldvalleyrat
AG
Wife went to HEB on Trenton at about 8:00 and said that it was all in all just fine. Had to wait for a few minutes but when she went in she got her large basket of stuff and was in her car in a total of 45 minutes. No shortages and even bought a big plastic bag of toilet paper. Looks like the idiots have had enough and the normal people are back doing normal things.
All organizations are perfectly aligned for the results they get.
Cappo
AG
oldvalleyrat said:

Wife went to HEB on Trenton at about 8:00 and said that it was all in all just fine. Had to wait for a few minutes but when she went in she got her large basket of stuff and was in her car in a total of 45 minutes. No shortages and even bought a big plastic bag of toilet paper. Looks like the idiots have had enough and the normal people are back doing normal things.
This would please me b/c I have been thinking of making a trip to that location for the last few days but haven't pulled the trigger yet lol
PJYoung
AG
This national county map is actually keeping up to date #s for us as well.

https://covidcompare.com/
Centerpole90
AG
That is an awesome tracker! thanks.

That said, what about the Kenedy County land grab of SPI all the way down to the ship channel? It's time to invade Kenedy, take our island back, LIBERATE SPI!

ETA: interesting Willacy's Total risk is higher than any area in south Texas, excepting Webb, until you get up around Victoria and then the numbers start to really jump up. Two cases in our small county drove the per 100k risk coefficient up significantly with only 21k residents.
Charpie
AG
DO IT

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.