Covid-19 in the RGV

17,344 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by scottimus
RGV AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Student in Pharr tests positive.....
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
17 more yesterday, 79 total, 10 in the hospital now.
Duckhook
AG
County Judge closed Harlingen Country Club golf course this morning. Had 6 constables out there and apparently had alerted the media as well. Mayor of Palm Valley (where the course is actually located) said we had been in compliance with the shelter-in-place order. Bunch of resident non-golfers apparently calling to complain about us heathen golfers.
PJYoung
AG
scottimus
AG
Sounds like it is bad down there. The valley beat the brazos valley pretty quick.
Centerpole90
AG
First RGV death was 60 yo male from Willacy. I asked someone who knew the victim and they said that diabetes was a contributing co-morbidity in that case. I understand the second death was a resident at the same Harlingen nursing home where that man worked. This morning someone who should know told me a second nursing home in Cameron has surfaced as hot spot. That doesn't sound good.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
Centerpole90 said:

This morning someone who should know told me a second nursing home in Cameron has surfaced as hot spot. That doesn't sound good.

5 in that one

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/04/07/hidalgo-co-eyes-stricter-emergency-orders/

Quote:

Cameron County officials on Monday reported the death of an 81-year-old resident of Veranda Healthcare & Rehabilitation, a Harlingen nursing home, while on Saturday, officials in Willacy County said a man in his 60s died.

In Cameron County, five of the new cases are connected to Windsor Atrium, a nursing home in Harlingen. Three of those who tested positive are residents, while the other two people are employees.
Centerpole90
AG
Windsor is the one I alluded to as the second. A friend of mine's wife works there. I didn't want to blurt it out, but there it is in print - so I guess my tip was right. Nursing homes will be very bad once it gets in; I would think.
RGV AG
AG
Ya'll see the 3 customs agents in Rio Grande City? What are the odds there? That/this is a small port.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
217 total in Hidalgo County, 33 in the hospital, 6 in the ICU, 37 have been cleared.

PJYoung
AG
https://www.themonitor.com/2020/04/18/officials-highlight-lack-exponential-growth-rgv-cases/
oldvalleyrat
AG
The natives are getting restless. A week ago if you got in the car and drove anywhere, the roads were deserted but yesterday afternoon, there was traffic! I think there is going to be a limit to how long people can be cooped up.
All organizations are perfectly aligned for the results they get.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Several of our warehouse peeps remarked that it's ok now to go out. That the Judge said just wear a mask and it's ok
AG
Yeah ive noticed the increased traffic as well. Golf courses opening up now. I wonder when SPI will open the bridge to non residents. Gotta think that's coming soon.

I was at the office late a couple of weeks ago and the drive home at 830p from San Juan looked more like midnight.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
BTW it's not just SPI that has a road block. PI has one set up coming in to town as well. I've actually seen cars sent back brown town

SPI is just looking for a good answer. There's plenty of surfers and day trippers coming across every day
AG
oldvalleyrat said:

The natives are getting restless. A week ago if you got in the car and drove anywhere, the roads were deserted but yesterday afternoon, there was traffic! I think there is going to be a limit to how long people can be cooped up.

I told my wife yesterday that I had noticed more city traffic starting Thursday.
RGV AG
AG
More traffic at the bridges as well. Customs guys told me it was it wa folks crossing due to the "chequezon" de Trump.

I believe that had as much to do with increases as anything else.
PJYoung
AG
We were at SPI yesterday since the beaches opened up. It was nice to get a little taste of normal.

If covid ends up taking horseplay from us I will be sad.
RGV AG
AG
That is F'Ed up. You mean you can't stand 50 feet apart, in the open air and throw a baseball or softball to each other? You have got to be kidding me.

What about a frisbee? Or is that Horseplay? I grow less and less enchanted with the SPI and PI area by the day.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Unless you are in the water

In the water you can do just about anything
AG
It is still cold as hell, screw that. I didn't feel your PO'dness yesterday, but damm I do today.

ADM
Centerpole90
AG
They opened the boat ramps @ Mansfield Saturday. I heard it was NUTS out there.
Charpie
AG
Centerpole90 said:

They opened the boat ramps @ Mansfield Saturday. I heard it was NUTS out there.
IT WAS. The suegros had to put a sign up at their place to keep the rifraf out.
PJYoung
AG
RGV AG said:

It is still cold as hell, screw that.

It was way nicer than I expected when I had to pee in the world's toilet. I expected it to be coooold.

It was basically a game of red light green light with some people keeping their masks on at all times but most just slipping them on when the cops got close.

The dudes beside us would walk into ankle deep surf to drink and wave at the cops.

Between the cops, lifeguards and other city/county officials patrolling, I was constantly scanning up and down the beach while enjoying some adult beverages under my 10X10 $25 shade with 4 of my closest friends.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I recognize that some of the Nancys and troll-type mods won't like this...

But......,,,,, IDGAS

Beach monitors of all sorts were apparently (and intelligently) advised to back off of the invasive and ridiculous monitoring of "face covers" on the beach.

Not even one stopped in past 2 days to say jack **** to anybody that I saw

Conmon sense rules again. Finally

AG
Well there has been very little "common sense" coming from our county judges here in the Valley for the past 6 weeks....So it is about time that it starts showing up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
zarbas77 said:

Well there has been very little "common sense" coming from our county judges here in the Valley for the past 6 weeks....So it is about time that it starts showing up.

You misspelled "60 years"
AG
Yeah I am all for masks indoors but requiring them on the beach when groups were staying 10 feet apart anyway seems pretty crazy. I imagine that requirement is going away officially on Friday if not sooner. Glad to hear they weren't as strict about enforcement for the weekday peeps.
PJYoung
AG
No meat at our local HEB in McAllen.

Costco still has plenty.

I am guessing we will see a toilet paper like run now.
RGV AG
AG
Boss, this is the craziest crap I have ever seen. I got worried earlier in the week, so I went to Juniors. I picked up the 5 pound bags of fajitas, Choice mind you, for $5.49 a pound. Got some decent looking NY Strip's for I think $5.99 a pound. Had chicken leg quarters for $0.39 a pound, got two bags.

Soooo, I then go to the HEB on South 2nd, for dog food. I am going through there and just glancing at the meat, I see a "sale" deal on a cooler. They have Choice Tenderloins for $8.99 a pound. Well I buy two. This was on Wed, and they had a lot of Meat. Juniors was basically empty of people, and they cut me a really nice sirloin to, that was $4.99 a pound.
PJYoung
AG
RGV AG said:

Boss, this is the craziest crap I have ever seen. I got worried earlier in the week, so I went to Juniors. I picked up the 5 pound bags of fajitas, Choice mind you, for $5.49 a pound. Got some decent looking NY Strip's for I think $5.99 a pound. Had chicken leg quarters for $0.39 a pound, got two bags.

Soooo, I then go to the HEB on South 2nd, for dog food. I am going through there and just glancing at the meat, I see a "sale" deal on a cooler. They have Choice Tenderloins for $8.99 a pound. Well I buy two. This was on Wed, and they had a lot of Meat. Juniors was basically empty of people, and they cut me a really nice sirloin to, that was $4.99 a pound.

Yeah I am guessing the HEB that is out of meat is the one on Fern & 10th. My mom usually shops at that one and she called us earlier today.

Suuuuuper crazy stuff.
Centerpole90
AG
MrsCP said Harlingen HEBs had plenty of beef yesterday. We had a discussion last night over dinner about this. I hope this doesn't reach the silliness levels of the great 2020 Toilet Paper shortage

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.