Covid-19 in the RGV

17,341 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by scottimus
RGV AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have never been a big fan of the big ass grocery stores, I think it is from growing up in the big city where there were "bodega" type stores and smaller grocery stores. Whenever I have a chance, or should I say when I can plan it, I go to a Juniors.

Although, HEB does surprise me at times, as the one on 2nd started carrying Raisin Bran muffins again, after refusing to carry them about 2 years ago. I also spied some Durkee's, and bought a couple of bottles. Juniors will order stuff for me easier, and HEB will too when you get to the right guy, but they are busy and DGAF most of the time.

HEB really is a fine institution, I just wish they were a little smaller (store wise) and carried more brands.
Charpie
AG
Juniors and Aguilars are the best for meat in the RGV...or Hidalgo County. Sourced locally and really cheap. If I already didn't have a freezer full of carne I'd be making a road trip down there to get some.
carl spacklers hat
You shop in McAllen and you don't go to Ruben's? What's wrong with you?!?
Fitch
AG
As of 4/29
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
Bah, I've been watching this # since we are testing way more lately. Not great.

PJYoung
AG

Comeby!
AG
What's the link to these plots or are you generating them?
PJYoung
AG
Fitch has been generating them on the covid board

EDIT: Oh, the last 2 are mine generated from the Hidalgo County Twitter account numbers.
PJYoung
AG

PJYoung
AG
https://www.valleycentral.com/news/breaking-mission-mayor-instates-curfew/
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
Comeby!
AG
Todas las pinches carne asadas.
PJYoung
AG
https://www.themonitor.com/2020/06/20/dshs-assures-capacity-still-available-local-hospitals-109-new-cases/
PJYoung
AG
193 new infections today in hidalgo county.

146 hospitalizations
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
haha 25% positive rate for those tested at SPI. Not great!

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/06/23/state-health-officials-identify-local-covid-19-hot-spots/

Quote:

"From what we've seen, Hidalgo County, South Padre Island especially South Padre Island in our region has been a large hot spot," said Dr. Emilie Prot, regional director for Public Health Region 11 of the Department of State Health Services.

During one day of testing at South Padre Island, she said there was a 25% positivity rate among members of the public who chose to get tested.

"So that is extremely alarming," Prot said. "We haven't even seen that in a nursing home setting."
PJYoung
AG
New curfew here - gatherings limited to 100 for businesses and 10 at home.

Quote:

Hidalgo County Judge Richard F. Cortez reported Wednesday afternoon the county plans to issue a curfew to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a Facebook Live address, the judge said the curfew will apply to minors from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. and for adults from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. He didn't specify when the curfew would be put in place.

Cortez said measures taken early in the pandemic were effective in fighting the virus.

"When we had those restrictions in place we enjoyed a very, very low rate of infections," he said.

The goal of the measures was to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed, he said. According to Cortez, the hospital capacity in the county is now being strained.

"Today, we're very close approaching to being at capacity," he said.

Cortez said gatherings of people were promoting the spread of the virus.

"We can't allow this to continue," he said.

According to the video, the dramatic rise in cases will continue Wednesday.

"Today we are on pace to potentially break another record in terms of new cases," County Spokesperson Carlos Sanchez said in the video.

Dr. Ivan G. Melendez, Hidalgo County authority physician, was also on the call and said that today's numbers would top 300.

RGV AG
AG
Wow, this is going to go back and be hard to control. From what i am seeing in Mex and from what i can infer locally, I dont think you can have any semblamce of normalcy and not have fairly rampant cases.

The only true effective locker down situation is what the Chinese did and that wont fly here.
OXDL45
AG
Wow. Hard to believe how quick it spiked.
RGV AG
AG
In my opinion, the biggest difference in the RGV right now is that testing is readily available, whereas 6 weeks ago, it wasnt.
PJYoung
AG
RGV AG said:

In my opinion, the biggest difference in the RGV right now is that testing is readily available, whereas 6 weeks ago, it wasnt.

Actually, our positive testing % was only 3.2% on June 4th and it's over 7% now. That's not a testing issue.

Also we had 3 people in ICU on May 31st, 20 people total in the hospital and now it's 19 in the ICU and 185 in the hospital.

We are averaging over 20 new positive cases in the hospital every day now. Crazy.

373 new infections in Hidalgo County today. Exponential growth is here.
PJYoung
AG
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/05/27/coronavirus-mexico-border/?arc404=true

Quote:

On the Texas-Mexico border, the dynamic appears to be inverted. Mexican officials have expressed concern that a growing outbreak in South Texas is spilling over into Tamaulipas, which had been largely spared during the pandemic.

The United States has deported thousands of people to Tamaulipas since March. In Reynosa, Mexico, the largest city in the state, at least 16 deportees have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to Mayor Maki Ortiz. Before becoming mayor, she was Mexico's undersecretary of health.

"Why are they continuing these deportations in the middle of a deadly pandemic, including people who are already sick and who knows how many asymptomatic people?" she said. Between the deportees and the thousands of dual citizens who cross the border every day, Ortiz worries her city will wind up importing a large outbreak from Texas.

"I say it as many times as I can on my television and radio messages: Stay in your homes and do not cross the border," she said. "But when I look at the international bridges, I still see massive lines."

In the nearby city of Matamoros, officials last week set up a checkpoint to question U.S. citizens crossing into Mexico and turned away some whose visits they deemed nonessential.

PJYoung
AG
RGV AG
AG
Quote:

Actually, our positive testing % was only 3.2% on June 4th and it's over 7% now. That's not a testing issue.

Also we had 3 people in ICU on May 31st, 20 people total in the hospital and now it's 19 in the ICU and 185 in the hospital.

We are averaging over 20 new positive cases in the hospital every day now. Crazy.

373 new infections in Hidalgo County today. Exponential growth is here
That makes sense. Don't get me wrong in what I am saying, I am not arguing with you nor do I have a staunch position one way or the other. The thing about increased positive tests, and this is what I was told by a Doc, don't know if it is true or not, is that someone that is positive continues to be tested so as to look for the negative result, but all those positives are counted as positives each and every time.

Equally, there are quite few asymptomatic positive results that 6 or 8 weeks ago would never had been tested. This virus is going to run through the population, no doubt about it. It is a screw me now or screw me later deal. And if the economics and societal structure are not protected, the actual cure may be much worse than the illness.
RGV AG
AG
PJYoung said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/05/27/coronavirus-mexico-border/?arc404=true

Quote:

On the Texas-Mexico border, the dynamic appears to be inverted. Mexican officials have expressed concern that a growing outbreak in South Texas is spilling over into Tamaulipas, which had been largely spared during the pandemic.

The United States has deported thousands of people to Tamaulipas since March. In Reynosa, Mexico, the largest city in the state, at least 16 deportees have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to Mayor Maki Ortiz. Before becoming mayor, she was Mexico's undersecretary of health.

"Why are they continuing these deportations in the middle of a deadly pandemic, including people who are already sick and who knows how many asymptomatic people?" she said. Between the deportees and the thousands of dual citizens who cross the border every day, Ortiz worries her city will wind up importing a large outbreak from Texas.

"I say it as many times as I can on my television and radio messages: Stay in your homes and do not cross the border," she said. "But when I look at the international bridges, I still see massive lines."

In the nearby city of Matamoros, officials last week set up a checkpoint to question U.S. citizens crossing into Mexico and turned away some whose visits they deemed nonessential.

That is basically nonsense and utter BS. F'ing Mexico ordered most major employers to send folks home, many with full pay and most with about 70% pay, for almost 2 months. It was like a GD spring break party broke out, folks traveled, folks partied, folks ran amok. That is where their problem is, that and sanitation.

There are very few tests being given and many symptomatic folks are running from the tests because at the beginning of the deal Mexico was forcibly quarantining people and taking them "shelters". Damm skippy, that needs to be avoided.

I am in Mex every day, and the reaction to this virus, for the first 4 weeks was a joke. Equally, they don't have the testing nor the treating capabilities and have no clue as to what to really do.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
Cameron County shutting down their beaches tonight.

We are up to a little over 9% positive on tests administered in Hidalgo County. We were at 3% June 4th.

PJYoung
AG
Age of death for the Hidalgo County Covid-19 victims:

30s: 3
40s: 3
50s: 9
60s: 4
70s: 12
80s: 3
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.