How did Texas Tech...

15,254 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
Sandman98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texags duplicity

Texags: Murray and BDF players and coaches ain't played nobody, Pawwwl.

[SEC has more top 25 baseball teams than the Big 12 has members]

Texags: Tadlock runs circles around RC.
Me: But consistently getting 40+ wins and building momentum off of those wins and resulting high seeds, hosting opportunities, and some fortunate draws in home regionals and supers is easier rabble rabble...
Texags: \_()_/

Edit: why won't shrug emoji paste properly?
skeetboy3
AG
hoosierAG said:

Two great hires. Great local support.

Having taught there, I will say they have great local support when they are winning, but during the lean times, it is crickets in the stands. Win, and you are the king of the town (or queen--they named one of the major roads after the women's basketball coach that won ONE national championship--she did have a lot of sweet 16s though). They are also fickle about who they are playing; I was there during the Leach years and big games were a huge draw, but you could literally get tickets for non-conference football games for $1 on the secondary market--I could not believe that. They have two great coaches though and that will excite the locals and bring them out.
MooreTrucker
AG
WestTexasAg said:

Cru said:

WestTexasAg said:

MooreTrucker said:

Yeah, I've heard about that 114th location, but also have heard "no immediate plans".

You may just hear news in the Loop and Slide area soon. 50/50 at this point.

Like maybe the Sears floor space.

Or maybe one of the other anchor spots.
Or maybe where Bed Bath and Beyond was?
MooreTrucker
AG
David Kennard said:

MooreTrucker said:

Well, given that A&M is a 60,000 student university with world-recognized academics and nationally recognized athletics and has been around for over 150 years v. a school of less than 40,000 that's been around for less than 100 years and only just beginning to be recognized athletically or academically, not really a valid comparison.

What many are doing here on this thread is making a comparison, so it's valid. And by your logic we get all of these 4 and 5 star athalets because of our academic reputation and they get primarily 2 and 3 star for the same reason...
Nah, you skipped a few steps. It's not just academics (not even mainly). It's overall reputation and brand, as well as traditions, fan base, etc. that gets built up through the years. And the alumni base that IS a product of the academic reputation.
MooreTrucker
AG
skeetboy3 said:

hoosierAG said:

Two great hires. Great local support.

Having taught there, I will say they have great local support when they are winning, but during the lean times, it is crickets in the stands. Win, and you are the king of the town (or queen--they named one of the major roads after the women's basketball coach that won ONE national championship--she did have a lot of sweet 16s though). They are also fickle about who they are playing; I was there during the Leach years and big games were a huge draw, but you could literally get tickets for non-conference football games for $1 on the secondary market--I could not believe that. They have two great coaches though and that will excite the locals and bring them out.
Yep, and the funny thing is, (as many here would be quick to point out) there's not just a ton of other stuff to do.

Major concerts are well spread out, and Lubbock has lots of chain restaurants and some great local places, but not very many really good "just go hang out" kind of places, and not a great club scene.

IOW, not a lot that should compete for the dollars against the different sports. But give them a winner, and they'll camp out for tickets.
WestTexasAg
AG
MooreTrucker said:

WestTexasAg said:

Cru said:

WestTexasAg said:

MooreTrucker said:

Yeah, I've heard about that 114th location, but also have heard "no immediate plans".

You may just hear news in the Loop and Slide area soon. 50/50 at this point.

Like maybe the Sears floor space.

Or maybe one of the other anchor spots.
No, that will be another Old Navy.
Hop
Staff
AG
OK, this thread has gone far off topic when there is a detailed discussion of new retail spaces in Lubbock. I guess I'll move this to the west Texas board.
MooreTrucker
AG
WestTexasAg said:

MooreTrucker said:

No, that will be another Old Navy.
Actually, it looks like they expanded Shoe Carnival and added a Ross, unless they;re not done yet.
MooreTrucker
AG
Hop said:

OK, this thread has gone far off topic when there is a detailed discussion of new retail spaces in Lubbock. I guess I'll move this to the west Texas board.
Thanks, Hop, sorry about that.
Cobra39
Hop said:

Oh.....you were serious.

Cobra39
CanyonAg77
AG
Hop said:

Well, actually, you dumped this pile of dung on the Panhandle/South Plains Board.

Thanks for nothing.

Banish it to Old Rivalries, where it belongs.
MooreTrucker
AG
Lubbock >>>> Amarillo
CanyonAg77
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Lubbock >>>> Amarillo
Them's fightin' words!!!!!!!!!!!!

MooreTrucker
AG
Bring it, big boy
CanyonAg77
AG

Capt_Crunch 14
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Lubbock >>>> Amarillo
oh no
AG
first time ever to the Panhandle board. ...didn't know there was a Panhandle board....
BeardedWoodsman17
AG
I believe we may be in the market for a new Basketball coach soon honestly, we seem to just not be able to consistently compete from year to year

Baseball on the other hand, I believe Childress will get the Ags to where they need to go, we have made the regionals 12 years running with him and he creates a very solid team each year. I would not worry too much about baseball since we compete at a high level each year with a conference that set a record of 11 teams in the top 25 this year.
Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Captain Pablo
AG
BeardedWoodsman17 said:

I believe we may be in the market for a new Basketball coach soon honestly, we seem to just not be able to consistently compete from year to year

Baseball on the other hand, I believe Childress will get the Ags to where they need to go, we have made the regionals 12 years running with him and he creates a very solid team each year. I would not worry too much about baseball since we compete at a high level each year with a conference that set a record of 11 teams in the top 25 this year.

I think it's a given about Kennedy. He's likely gone

As for baseball, don't count on it. Take those sentiments over to the baseball board for some lively discussion on Childress

Childress has had 13 seasons to "get us where we need to go". And "where we need to go" is at least picking up a game win in Omaha, if not a national championship

Personally, I think Rob has done a pretty good job, but he hasn't picked up a single game win in Omaha since he got here

I think Rob is likely safe for 2020, but it's not a given

If he fails to at least host a regional, or fails to at least make a Super Regional, I'd give it 60-40 that he returns, as long as he makes the post season

Fails either of those over the next two years and I'd give it 20-80 that he gets 2021

"Making Regionals" isn't enough, and I think Woodward is ready to put his mark on the program unless Rob makes some noise, and soon
Science Denier
AG
Captain Pablo said:

BeardedWoodsman17 said:

As for baseball, don't count on it. Take those sentiments over to the baseball board for some lively discussion on Childress

Childress has had 13 seasons to "get us where we need to go". And "where we need to go" is at least picking up a game win in Omaha, if not a national championship

Personally, I think Rob has done a pretty good job, but he hasn't picked up a single game win in Omaha since he got here

If he fails to at least host a regional, or fails to at least make a Super Regional, I'd give it 60-40 that he returns, as long as he makes the post season

Fails either of those over the next two years and I'd give it 20-80 that he gets 2021

"Making Regionals" isn't enough, and I think Woodward is ready to put his mark on the program unless Rob makes some noise, and soon

From what I'm hearing, RC is gone this year unless he wins in Omaha. If he wins the conference, that may save him but I doubt it.
LOL OLD
Captain Pablo
AG
jblaschke said:

Captain Pablo said:

BeardedWoodsman17 said:

From what I'm hearing, RC is gone this year unless he wins in Omaha. If he wins the conference, that may save him but I doubt it.

I do not believe that to be the case

If we make a Super Regional, I HIGHLY doubt he would get fired

If we hit the road for a Regional and lose, I think it's very possible he's replaced

If we miss a Regional, I think it's more likely than not he's gone

We were 11th in conference last year, and even the 2017 season was pretty mediocre, and we caught some breaks in the post season
AggieDPT
AG
Getting to walk around getting groceries while you drink a beer at the United on 4th and Milwaukee might be the greatest thing ever invented.
MooreTrucker
AG
We're having one of those bad days today. 40+ mph winds, gusting to over 60, with lots of dust (despite pretty decent rains last night). My building...only 6 floors tall... was swaying. Traffic lights out, power lines down.

Amarillo was worse. A restaurant my wife uses for catering had to cancel for tomorrow because their sign blew down and wrecked part of the building and knocked out their power.
CanyonAg77
AG
Could be worse. We are in Colorado Sorings with the same wind, and 6 inches of snow

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.