How did Texas Tech...

15,517 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
lifetimeredshirt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surpass the Ags in both Baseball and Basketball?? I am watching their 8th ranked basketball team blow out sip. Ever been to Lubbock? Serious question.
hoosierAG
AG
Two great hires. Great local support.
TXAGGIES
Coaching...
ProphAC
AG
Its all about hiring the right coaches... one mediocre hire can cost you over a decade.
Aggie95
AG
which is the serious question?

yes, I have been to Lubbock

they hired great coaches in basketball and baseball
OA_02
AG
Hiring good coaches apparently matters....don't worry though. I'm sure Rob will get us in the regionals again though.
Brauny
Staff
Can't answer basketball side, but they hired alum Tim Tadlock who just so happens to be one of the best college baseball minds in America.

I had a D1 Head Coach tell me one time, "Any coach that wins a conference championship in Lubbock, Texas, should be the coach of the year."
HUDAT361
I believe our AD and the administration will make its next big move soon. Be patient young grass hopper.
hammerhead
lifetimeredshirt said:

Surpass the Ags in both Baseball and Basketball?? I am watching their 8th ranked basketball team blow out sip. Ever been to Lubbock? Serious question.
Been to Lubbock many times...

What does that have to do with them having a good basketball and baseball team?
GE
AG
hammerhead said:

lifetimeredshirt said:

It's hard to recruit players to a **** town. Not to mention difficulty in recruiting and keeping coaches
Baby Billy
AG
hammerhead said:

lifetimeredshirt said:

Ummmm....Recruiting kids to go out there?
Mr_mo8268
AG
Plenty of crappy towns have great college football/basketball/baseball programs. The entire narrative about crappy towns comes from ags that have swallowed mediocrity for decades. The town matters very little, getting a winning coach that knows how to implement a winning culture matters far more.
Nombre
AG
I hate to break it to y'all but B/CS, as much as all of us love it, doesn't allow us much ability to cast stones at Lubbock
moriarty90
AG
Then why do we continue to support RC who refuses to adapt to contemporary college baseball by not using metrics, update a terrible assistant coaching staff and hasn't won a single game in Omaha in 14 years?? I could believe I heard on the radio today RC cusching style compared to Jimbo ,,, Seriously ? ,,, the two coaches have nothing in common when it comes to winning, player deveoplenent and in-game adjustments. In fact his quote last year was that we at least "scared Indiana" ... I can't make that up, we have have been reduced to scaring Indiana in D1 baseball.
comebackszNino
Nombre said:

I hate to break it to y'all but B/CS, as much as all of us love it, doesn't allow us much ability to cast stones at Lubbock

Sure it does. There is no comparison.
75AG
AG
Nombre said:

Dude. Seriously.
comebackszNino
Makes the fact that we keep trotting Bk out there even more embarrassing, pathetic, pitiful, etc.
montejr
AG
My neighbor Tech Alum thinks they can hang on to their basketball coach. Might be good for awhile.
egrayen
AG
The point is we are within 90 miles of Houston which is a hot bed for both baseball and basketball. This is a huge advantage on Lubbock. Has nothing to do with which is a better "smaller" town and more about how close are you from a large metropolitan area where you can pull from large pools of talent.
Dallas is their closest, 5 hours.....
stardustag
AG
Nombre said:

uh... have you tried driving from Lubbock to anywhere else? 8 hours later you are still in the middle of no where.

You can get to Austin and Houston from B/CS within 2 hours.
Gigem314
AG
Nombre said:

Meh. Our proximity to Houston and fertile recruiting grounds make B/CS an ideal location.
BOBHICA
AG
We have several programs riding the fine line between not good enough to win anything and not bad enough to replace the coach.
Sandiaman91
AG
Kiddo, there are times to break it to the Aggie masses that they are out of line and might be wearing maroon sunglasses.

Saying that Lubbock and the high Plains = College Station and the Brazos Valley is not a place to start.
"The goat rope continues..." -RGV AG
Cobra39
Aggie coach envy is cool.

Cobra39
Captain Pablo
AG
GE said:

hammerhead said:

lifetimeredshirt said:

It's hard to recruit players to a **** town. Not to mention difficulty in recruiting and keeping coaches

Except it's not a **** town

It's remote, but definitely a great college town. It is actually convenient to some nice things, like skiing and hiking. 4-6 hour drive, depending where you go

College Station is certainly no better itself, only that it's closer to Houston
Captain Pablo
AG
Sandiaman91 said:

Kiddo, there are times to break it to the Aggie masses that they are out of line and might be wearing maroon sunglasses.

Saying that Lubbock and the high Plains = College Station and the Brazos Valley is not a place to start.

Eh. The high plains has its good points

As far as the cities themselves, Lubbock is probably as good or better. Bigger, plenty to do, decent restaurants and night life

Lubbock is remote from very large cities though, which is a negative for kids coming from Houston, Austin, Dallas to some extent
MetoliusAg
90% of success in college sports boils down to the coach you hire and the fit.
Captain Pablo
AG
HUDAT361 said:

I believe our AD and the administration will make its next big move soon. Be patient young grass hopper.

Beard and Tadlock weren't "big hires"

They were good hires, but nobodies

Tadlock came from a JUCO
comebackszNino
Captain Pablo said:

GE said:

hammerhead said:

lifetimeredshirt said:

It's remote, but definitely a great college town. It is actually convenient to some nice things, like skiing and hiking. 4-6 hour drive, depending where you go

It's a ****hole.
Captain Pablo
AG
comebackszNino said:

Captain Pablo said:

GE said:

hammerhead said:

lifetimeredshirt said:

It's a ****hole.

Lol

Shut up

Go back to ban town
Waltonloads08
AG
Captain Pablo said:

GE said:

hammerhead said:

lifetimeredshirt said:

Lol like 2% of college athletes care about skiing in a second rate ski state like NM

College athletes want to win.

If we can't beat Texas Tech we are failing and need to improve.
Captain Pablo
AG
WaltonBlanks08 said:

Captain Pablo said:

GE said:

hammerhead said:

lifetimeredshirt said:

Lol like 2% of college athletes care about skiing in a second rate ski state like NM

College athletes want to win.

If we can't beat Texas Tech we are failing and need to improve.

College athletes don't like to ski?

You and I know different college athletes/ former athletes

I agree we should beat tech in everything. If we can't, we're doing it wrong
WestTexasAg
AG
hoosierAG said:

Two great hires. Great local support.

THIS
e=mc2
AG
Nombre said:

You sure?

https://goo.gl/images/sTtEHx
CyAg86
AG
We still have two of $ Bill's discount hires coaching baseball and basketball. Thankfully both will be replaced soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.