Houston
Sponsored by

Miles may be in trouble HISD related

17,327 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by agnerd
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think people significantly overestimate the impact of vouchers.

If the argument is "private schools will just increase their tuition to match the voucher" than that means no additional kids go to private school right? If they can't afford it today, they can't afford it tomorrow

However, even if a school didn't raise their tuition, it's not like the voucher covers the tuition. A quick google search says the voucher would be roughly $6-7k. If we assume a low tuition of $15k or even $20k, that's still a serious hurdle for many to overcome. And little is "free" at private schools, meaning paying for lunch, childcare, sports, etc. makes it more expensive.

Presumably the alternative is still a free option at public schools.

So would there likely be some marginal change at existing private schools? Sure, but is it going to be this huge swarm that overwhelms everywhere? I don't think so.
Diggity
AG
average parish school is $10-12K, so a $7-8K voucher would definitely make that decision a lot easier for parents.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

but as mentioned - would a place like Our Lady want to borrow money to expand buildings and facilities, hire more staff?
they have the space, they would absolutely love to hire more staff and get better teachers.
BMX Bandit
Diggity said:

average parish school is $10-12K, so a $7-8K voucher would definitely make that decision a lot easier for parents.
for the really poor schools, its significantly less as archdiocese tries to pick up the cost for as many as they can.

for example, at OLG, its about $2500 if you are below poverty line

AgLA06
AG
Diggity said:

As things stand today. And there's plenty of parochial schools in that range up until high school as well.

Based on planning I was a part of and conversations with other school boards of similar pricing, tuition would go up a couple grand and go directly to improved programs and curriculum that isn't in the budget today.
Diggity
AG
yeah, I'm talking full tuition rate. I doubt the diocese would subsidize folks using vouchers.

They would probably still offer to give assistance for the gap between the voucher and full tuition though.
AgLA06
AG
What most people don't realize is the diocese and many parochial churches that formed the schools are currently subsidizing part of tuition already. They may charge $12K, but the cost of the education is more because the kids and families want to be there and agree to follow the norms and morals set forth.

If half of HISD now wants in, that get a little more difficult and most likely the tuition will raise remove that subsidy so it can be shifted to scholarships.
Diggity
AG
I doubt many of these schools would want to double in size.

Part of the draw of private school is that they are smaller. Having two classes per grade is a pretty successful formula for many elementary schools.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
AgLiving06 said:

If the argument is "private schools will just increase their tuition to match the voucher" than that means no additional kids go to private school right? If they can't afford it today, they can't afford it tomorrow

However, even if a school didn't raise their tuition, it's not like the voucher covers the tuition. A quick google search says the voucher would be roughly $6-7k. If we assume a low tuition of $15k or even $20k, that's still a serious hurdle for many to overcome. And little is "free" at private schools, meaning paying for lunch, childcare, sports, etc. makes it more expensive.

So would there likely be some marginal change at existing private schools? Sure, but is it going to be this huge swarm that overwhelms everywhere? I don't think so.
I'm pro-vouchers but I believe data shows that most people who used vouchers after they passed were mostly people who were already in private schools to before.
AgLA06
AG
I don't recall talking about schools doubling.

But if a school is going to expand (and is run efficiently) it most likely would need to to be sustainable. As you mentioned 2 classes per grade is the norm.

3 classes per grade doesn't work nearly as well for lots of reasons. So the goal would need to be 4 classes per grade (double) or stand pat and increase tuition and programs.
AgLiving06
Diggity said:

We are more or less aligned. Maybe it's a couple thousand cheaper than my swag but it's still several thousand more expensive and unless the parish is a top private school the demand for it isn't going to materially change. It's going to be congregants or those who want a specific kind of religious education.

So it may sure up the parishes finances but I don't see this like doubling or tripling headcount.
AgLiving06
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

AgLiving06 said:

I'm pro-vouchers but I believe data shows that most people who used vouchers after they passed were mostly people who were already in private schools to before.

This is what I think as well. It mostly will benefit those who are already in private but also paying public tuition
Diggity
AG
not saying you did, but to move the needle, most schools would need to (at least) double in size.

Just wondering how many PK-8 schools would even have serious interest in that (assuming they're at/near capacity today).
AgLA06
AG
Diggity said:

not saying you did, but to move the needle, most schools would need to (at least) double in size.

Just wondering how many PK-8 schools would even have serious interest in that (assuming they're at/near capacity today).

My experience is schools are either growing and expanding or shrinking. No such thing as status quo.

Private schools are a lot like D1 sports. You're either keeping up with the Jones' in facilities or no longer interesting. Prestige and bragging rights play into parent's decisions even at the cheaper schools.

Some can keep improving facilities while holding the same number of students if they have a big enough endowment. Most can't without raising prices significantly because they're adding cost and maintenance and staff to do so.
Sea Speed
AG
AgLA06 said:

I don't recall talking about schools doubling.

But if a school is going to expand (and is run efficiently) it most likely would need to to be sustainable. As you mentioned 2 classes per grade is the norm.

3 classes per grade doesn't work for lots of reasons. So the goal would need to be 4 classes per grade (double) or stand pat and increase tuition and programs.

I'm curious about this as I've never heard it before. What is the difference between 2 and 3 that causes issues?
AgLA06
AG
To be honest more than I want to type out. From inefficiencies in none core staff and facilities to inability to continue to mix kids as they move up grades to teacher curriculum planning and daily period scheduling.

It just isn't efficient or easy based on how schools are set up, built, and managed.
schmellba99
AG
AgLA06 said:

schmellba99 said:

AgLA06 said:

Diggity said:

I was responding to a poster that specifically mentioned the budget, but solid rant.
He's going to rob from the rich to give to the poor including budget and more importantly staff and resources. All the magnet and high performing programs "that work" are going to cannibalized to reallocate resources to fix the problem across the board the upper middle class have so greatly avoided.

The point is to fix the school district, not to provide a safe haven for Ayden so their parents can brag about sending their kids and supporting public schools while bussing the across town or hide them in gifted and talented away from the general population.

So your solution is to lower the bar for the good performing schools int he district in order to basically make the lower performing schools look better.

Solid tactic there, you should be on a school board with that mentality.

That is not a solution, that is amplifying the problem.

When you have a leak in one of your tires, you don't poke holes in the other 3 so that the one leaking doesnt' look bad - you fuggin fix the tire that is leaking. That's what needs to be done to the failing schools - you don't gut a good performing school to make marginal changes in a substandard school. You focus your efforts on identifying the underlying issues, address the actual issues (regardless of how politically incorrect it may be) and establish a plan to fix said issues. Then you implement the plan.
Your suggesting 5% are above average is more important than the 95% below failing. HISD is in this boat because they treated catered to the rich and treated magnet schools like private schools and allowed the rest to fail.

His job isn't to run a prep school and make the affluent 5% happy. His job is to get 75%+ of all students passing. You can already see the complaining about bringing in quality people or software or programs in this thread alone. So the option is to use what good resources he has and distribute them to make the biggest impact.

Raising the bar and having GT programs isn't an option until the district itself is sustainable.
I am doing nothing of the sort.

I'm saying you don't destroy the 5% and make 100% of the schools underperforming because that's dumb and provides absolutely zero towards any solution.

Instead, you spotlight that 5% and learn from the things they are doing and focus on the 95% that aren't doing those things and - wait for it - *gasp!* RAISE the 95% instead of lowering the 5%.

It's really not a hard concept, and one that any moron should be able to figure out.
AgLiving06
AgLA06 said:

Diggity said:

My experience is schools are either growing and expanding or shrinking. No such thing as status quo.

Private schools are a lot like D1 sports. You're either keeping up with the Jones' in facilities or no longer interesting. Prestige and bragging rights play into parent's decisions even at the cheaper schools.

Some can keep improving facilities while holding the same number of students if they have a big enough endowment. Most can't without raising prices significantly because they're adding cost and maintenance and staff to do so.

This may be applicable to the private schools in the academic arms race (thinking St. Johns, Kinkaid, Strake), but I'm not sure how much this applies to the more parochial schools.

I see different drivers once you get outside the "top tier" private schools...and after seeing the disasters at the ivy's this year, I'm not sure the feeder private schools are any better...
schmellba99
AG
AgLA06 said:

chico said:

TexAgs1992 said:

schmellba99 said:

herb96 said:

wessimo said:

GTFO.gif

Unbelievable. This POS needs to go. How could they put someone with such an obvious conflict of interest in this job?
Abbot is hell bent on killing the public school system.
To be fair, the public school system needs to be killed and rebuilt at this point.
SCHOOL. CHOICE. EOT
it exists within HISD, you can apply to any school district-wide. Many kids don't go to their zoned schools. You don't always get accepted since there are max enrollments, but you'll find some schools have kids from all over.
Which is highly inefficient and costing HISD much more to run a district. All the while ensuring only a handful of schools have the best teachers, students, and opportunity to succeed.
No, it doesn't.

Because HISD is not responsible for providing a means for kids out of district to get to the school they want to go to - that's one of the caveats of going to a school outside of your zoned area - you as the parent/student are responsible for getting the kid to the school.

The kid going to School B instead of School A has absolutely zero effect on HISD, other than one school is preferred over another, and that is, in your world, bad because it hurts the feelings of the school that the parents don't want their child attending.
schmellba99
AG
agnerd said:

In summary
1. HISD voters put a system in place that allowed a few schools to be awesome and the rest to be crap.
2. State warned them that they needed to improve the bad schools if they wanted to continue receiving state money.
3. Wealthy voters refused to give up their magnet schools and poor voters refused enforcement of standards that would prevent Junior from graduating.
4. State warned HISD again
5. Voters and district refused to change
6. State takes over.
7. Miles is now changing the magnets under his terms because the voters and district refused to do it under their terms.

Wealthy voters were content to have their kids at the magnet schools while the regular schools were ignored. But when you are part of a very large political organization (city, county, school district), the money goes to the most needed place. Magnet schools soak up all the good teachers, and the other schools suffer. Wealthy want to have their city proximity and "free" private-school level educations. I don't blame them, but that arrangement does not meet state requirements of prioritizing all the kids passing. Because voters chose a system that didn't get good overall results, they don't get to vote how state money gets spent anymore.

Once Miles is done, the Debakery HS Harvard admit will only get into t.u. but 3 high school drop outs will graduate at other schools. And that's the price we pay for choosing incompetent leaders in the past. Since HISD voters refused to fix our problems, we no longer get a say in how those problems are fixed and get to deal with Miles. I think Miles will have more HS graduates even if wealthy start to pull out their kids. As long as that happens, Miles should be commended for his work to achieve the #1 goal.
This is pretty much a perfect description of communism, and a great example of why it doesn't work in any application at all.

You are attempting to justify that taking the few schools that are performing well and making them not perform well anymore just so you can maybe improve the bad schools as something good.

I'll give you a hint - until the underlying issues at the crap schools are addressed, no amount of destructing the good schools and trying to use the fairy dust from them to sprinkle on the bad schools will make any difference. The graduation rate won't change appreciably at the bad schools, but it will decline at the good schools because you've taken the only things that actuall work, demonized them as much as you possibly can, and subsequently elimited them from the system.

Solid theory there.
Tyrannosaurus Ross
AG
Does anybody know whether private schools would be forced to accept vouchers or could they decline them? I have never seen this data point before.

I would suspect that many (most?) private school swill decline them if they can because there will absolutely be strings attached to acceptance of those state dollars and students. Most private schools operate effectively specifically because they are not overwhelmed by state mandates and oversight.

Conversely I can envision grifters starting private or charter schools with the specific intent of accepting vouchers but providing very little in the way of improved education for those students, and these could be even worse than HISD.
“A crowded world thinks that aloneness is always loneliness, and that to seek it is perversion.”

John Graves
Goodbye to a River
AgLiving06
This is what I don't understand.

I can appreciate using the NES model at the underperforming schools...but it's not clear to me what's going on at the top performing schools. Arguably they should be left alone just because resources shouldn't need to be focused on the high performing schools right now.

So if he's screwing with those, I'd hope he's really justifying why we are spending any time on those?
AgLiving06
Tyrannosaurus Ross said:

Does anybody know whether private schools would be forced to accept vouchers or could they decline them? I have never seen this data point before.

I would suspect that many (most?) private school swill decline them if they can because there will absolutely be strings attached to acceptance of those state dollars and students. Most private schools operate effectively specifically because they are not overwhelmed by state mandates and oversight.

Conversely I can envision grifters starting private or charter schools with the specific intent of accepting vouchers but providing very little in the way of improved education for those students, and these could be even worse than HISD.

This came up at my kids school.

If the voucher is "from the state" most parochial schools wouldn't accept them.

However, the Arizona model (if I remember right) has the voucher being given to the student/family and there aren't strings attached to it by the state.

If this is the model, it's good for private schools.
AgLA06
AG
AgLiving06 said:

AgLA06 said:

Diggity said:

This may be applicable to the private schools in the academic arms race (thinking St. Johns, Kinkaid, Strake), but I'm not sure how much this applies to the more parochial schools.

I see different drivers once you get outside the "top tier" private schools...and after seeing the disasters at the ivy's this year, I'm not sure the feeder private schools are any better...

As I said, I'm speaking to below teir 1 and independent schools. That's my experience leading a parochial school and was echoed by our competition and partner schools in town.

Tier 1 is a whole different level.
RK
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I can appreciate using the NES model at the underperforming schools...but it's not clear to me what's going on at the top performing schools. Arguably they should be left alone just because resources shouldn't need to be focused on the high performing schools right now.

So if he's screwing with those, I'd hope he's really justifying why we are spending any time on those?
i think this is the crux of the issue with most folks. if you (have the painfully unfortunate experience of) listen(ing) to the public board meetings, a lot of the public comments are from parents of schools that are in reasonably good shape lamenting the broad brush policies negatively affecting their schools. we fall into this group as our school is well run and has great community support...and any change that gets implemented in our school by this administration is going to be a net negative.
Sea Speed
AG
AgLA06 said:

To be honest more than I want to type out. From inefficiencies in none core staff and facilities to inability to continue to mix kids as they move up grades to teacher curriculum planning and daily period scheduling.

It just isn't efficient or easy based on how schools are set up, built, and managed.

Is there any evidence for this you can point me towards? This is not how our current school is set up so I'd like to be a little better informed on the matter. For the record we love our kids school.
94chem
Humble ISD just fired their Super. Got tired of dealing with her live-in-boyfriend-turned-husband and the millions they were spending on paying his legal bills for sexual harassment as HISD athletic director. The two of them were pulling in $800K/year for sitting on the dais at graduations and modeling moral turpitude. I'm sure their golden parachutes will arrive in my mailbox at tax time.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AgLA06
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Tyrannosaurus Ross said:

This came up at my kids school.

If the voucher is "from the state" most parochial schools wouldn't accept them.

However, the Arizona model (if I remember right) has the voucher being given to the student/family and there aren't strings attached to it by the state.

If this is the model, it's good for private schools.
This is very valid. No parochial school wants to give leverage to the state.

We'll see how many stand firm if their competition takes advantage of it. Hard to watch them gain an advantage and grow for risk that could happen.
AgLA06
AG
Sea Speed said:

AgLA06 said:

Is there any evidence for this you can point me towards? This is not how our current school is set up so I'd like to be a little better informed on the matter. For the record we love our kids school.
I'm not saying you can't make it work. I'm just saying it complicated and adds expense and frustration compared to even number of classes. I know a couple of schools that tried to push to three classes without a plan to go to four and all of them have gone back to 2.

It's cliche, but like other professions there is a lot to managing a well run school than just kids and teachers. I had no idea about most of it until I served on a school board for 4 years.
TarponChaser
94chem said:

Humble ISD just fired their Super. Got tired of dealing with her live-in-boyfriend-turned-husband and the millions they were spending on paying his legal bills for sexual harassment as HISD athletic director. The two of them were pulling in $800K/year for sitting on the dais at graduations and modeling moral turpitude. I'm sure their golden parachutes will arrive in my mailbox at tax time.

What are all the ins & outs here.

I thought F*gan (stupid TA filters) had done a pretty good job. Especially navigating the BS surrounding covid.
TexAg2001
AG
AgLiving06 said:

The NES model may have a place in underperforming schools and could potentially benefit the students. Time will tell. However, the quality certified teachers would be much better off going somewhere else due to a variety of reasons. Some include:
  • Teachers don't actually teach anything. They are basically given lessons created by HISD to read word for word and are required to get through a minimum number of slides/lessons per day regardless of whether the students are actually grasping the knowledge or not.
  • Micromanagement. Teachers aren't allowed to think for themselves and are constantly being observed. I hear it they are observed for like 1 subject / week, so for Elementary teachers that teach multiple subjects, they are being observed and evaluated pretty much every day. They receive poor ratings if they try to reinforce a concept by saying something that isn't exactly dictated in the lesson plan they've been given.
  • Pay is based on subject taught and has no modification factor for experience. This equals to a pay increase for young inexperienced teachers, but decrease in pay for experienced teachers. This leads to a campus full of young staff with no one to mentor them, but that doesn't really matter due to the previous points.
Again, time will tell if the NES model works and perhaps this "teaching" style is better absorbed by the communities it's attempting to serve. Ultimately, underperformance at schools has less to do with the quality of the educators and is more to do with socioeconomics, demographics, and parental involvement.
Also, Miles is absolutely screwing with the high performing schools in some way. It was taken down after a few days, but a list of principals that were "put on notice" was leaked to the Chronicle earlier this year. Principals from very high performing schools, including CVHS, HSPVA, DeBakey and other GT or magnet schools were on that list. Why would they be on that list if they are so high performing? One might assume it's because they aren't "falling in line".
Sea Speed
AG
AgLA06 said:

Sea Speed said:

AgLA06 said:

I'm not saying you can't make it work. I'm just saying it complicated and adds expense and frustration compared to even number of classes. I know a couple of schools that tried to push to three classes without a plan to go to four and all of them have gone back to 2.

It's cliche, but like other professions there is a lot to managing a well run school than just kids and teachers. I had no idea about most of it until I served on a school board for 4 years.

I'm not doubting you I was just hoping there was some info or articles out there with info on it.
AgLA06
AG
TexAg2001 said:

AgLiving06 said:

The NES model may have a place in underperforming schools and could potentially benefit the students. Time will tell. However, the quality certified teachers would be much better off going somewhere else due to a variety of reasons. Some include:
  • Teachers don't actually teach anything. They are basically given lessons created by HISD to read word for word and are required to get through a minimum number of slides/lessons per day regardless of whether the students are actually grasping the knowledge or not.
  • Micromanagement. Teachers aren't allowed to think for themselves and are constantly being observed. I hear it they are observed for like 1 subject / week, so for Elementary teachers that teach multiple subjects, they are being observed and evaluated pretty much every day. They receive poor ratings if they try to reinforce a concept by saying something that isn't exactly dictated in the lesson plan they've been given.
  • Pay is based on subject taught and has no modification factor for experience. This equals to a pay increase for young inexperienced teachers, but decrease in pay for experienced teachers. This leads to a campus full of young staff with no one to mentor them, but that doesn't really matter due to the previous points.
Again, time will tell if the NES model works and perhaps this "teaching" style is better absorbed by the communities it's attempting to serve. Ultimately, underperformance at schools has less to do with the quality of the educators and is more to do with socioeconomics, demographics, and parental involvement.
Also, Miles is absolutely screwing with the high performing schools in some way. It was taken down after a few days, but a list of principals that were "put on notice" was leaked to the Chronicle earlier this year. Principals from very high performing schools, including CVHS, HSPVA, DeBakey and other GT or magnet schools were on that list. Why would they be on that list if they are so high performing? One might assume it's because they aren't "falling in line".
You are correct.

Unfortunately, when there are as many underperforming teachers as good, you can't afford to let them adlib curriculum planning and daily teaching without it negatively impacting the kids. And it definitely doesn't allow for improvement. It's easy to let the good teacher shine if you only have a couple bad apples. That isn't the situation HISD is in. It's literally known as the place to go for a larger check and less work and oversight if you can handle the culture.

Something as simple as teacher review and standards process before now would probably had avoided that. Teacher's unit fought it tooth and nail to avoid having teachers fired that pay into their system. The teachers union is only there to protect bad teachers at this point at the expense of the students.
W
AG
private schools also don't want to bring in the riff-raff

that's one of the attractions of private school -- less of that
94chem
TarponChaser said:

94chem said:

What are all the ins & outs here.

I thought F*gan (stupid TA filters) had done a pretty good job. Especially navigating the BS surrounding covid.

That is true, but her husband is in a mess over creating a mess in the athletics department with chronic boorish behavior. Meanwhile, and my timeline may be off slightly, she has seen the writing on the wall, and has been dancing with other school districts so she can bail on Humble (and maybe husband #2) before it hits the fan. Apparently the trustees have had enough and told her it's easier to look for a new job when you're not burdened by your current one.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.