Houston
Sponsored by

Miles may be in trouble HISD related

17,328 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by agnerd
bigjag19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the government would offer money available for tuition.

Seems like we've seen this before at the university level. Fortunately every school was nice about it and didn't raise tuition to ridiculous levels.
sushi94
AG
W said:

private schools also don't want to bring in the riff-raff

that's one of the attractions of private school -- less of that
Also, one thing private schools especially the top tier schools like to show is a low acceptance rate. Increased applicants for the high schools with same class size will help them.
94chem
I don't know Miles from a hole in the wall, but a bunch of parents told their kids to walk out of school today because he supposedly "funneled district funds to Colorado." Turns out his company is based in CO, and that's where the funds get mailed.. My goodness, this seems like hammer-level stupid for these parents. I guess that means all my credit card purchases fund schools in Delaware?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
TexAg2001
AG
Watch the article in the very first post in this thread for more details on what you are referencing. Before being appointed HISD Superintendent, he opened some Charter schools in CO and TX.

The allegation is that he was using TX taxpayer funds from several of his charter schools in TX to cover debt in his CO charter schools that were under water. I'm unsure if the allegations are 100% true, but people are investigating and trying to follow the paper trail.
TX04Aggie
AG
Im staying down in Bellaire/Meyerland area right now bc I dont have power and LOTS of anti Miles yard signs in yards….
AgLA06
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Im staying down in Bellaire/Meyerland area right now bc I dont have power and LOTS of anti Miles yard signs in yards….

You'll find a strong correlation between those signs and democrats campaign signs. Almost 100% in my hood.
chico
AG
Any pro- Miles signs out there? I've seen lots of anti-Miles signs around town.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Joke?
cone
AG
also a strong correlation between those signs and him actively ****ing up good schools
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I am not affiliated with HISD in anyway so my perspective is from the outside looking in. While I don't know if he is the right person long-term to get HISD on the right track, Miles seems to be doing a good job of "blowing things up". Which is probably the right first step... I definitely think this is one of those situations where it gets worse before it gets better.
RK
AG
Quote:

Miles seems to be doing a good job of "blowing things up"
i don't think that running good schools into the ground in order to demonstrate that they system needs to be overhauled is a good strategy.
Anastasia Beaverhaven
When the screw up is so bad, sometimes everyone has to suffer to get things right. Sucks for the good schools but the system as a whole should come out better for the changes. If they don't, then fire Miles.
AgLA06
AG
RK said:

Quote:

i don't think that running good schools into the ground in order to demonstrate that they system needs to be overhauled is a good strategy.

That's the problem. As long as you school isn't impacted, to hell with the majority. Just like several hundred thousand families didn't like HISD failing their kids, now everyone gets to suffer to tear it all down just to hit the minimum.

So you can move your kids or recognize the problem was the administration that got you here and segregated schools (good vs bad) and the path forward isn't going to be fun.

His job is to be the hated hatchet man that's needed. Blow it all up, evaluate and implement changes needed, and then get replaced by someone less hated that can build it back up better.
Diggity
AG
AgLA06 said:

RK said:

Quote:

That's the problem. As long as you school isn't impacted, to hell with the majority. Just like several hundred thousand families didn't like HISD failing their kids, now everyone gets to suffer to tear it all down just to hit the minimum.

So you can move your kids or recognize the problem was the administration that got you here and segregated schools (good vs bad) and the path forward isn't going to be fun.

His job is to be the hated hatchet man that's needed. Blow it all up, evaluate and implement changes needed, and then get replaced by someone less hated that can build it back up better.

This is nonsense. The magnet program you seem to dislike so much is the only thing keeping the kids from being relegated to their neighborhood school.

The idea that we're going to blow everything up and end up with strong and equal schools is a pipe dream. Will be a race to the bottom.

In a year or two when Miles is gone and it's still a complete **** hole (but they've run off the families that actually support the schools), we can all scratch our heads and wonder what went wrong.
RK
AG
Quote:

That's the problem. As long as you school isn't impacted, to hell with the majority.
so, the majority that are the most affected by the current state of HISD and haven't mobilized to enact change are going to suddenly start caring? and the minority of people in good schools have been the ones holding the system down?

i look forward to this new administration that is going to implement and run a successful district across the board.
Anastasia Beaverhaven
Diggity said:

AgLA06 said:

RK said:

Quote:

This is nonsense. The magnet program you seem to dislike so much is the only thing keeping the kids from being relegated to their neighborhood school.

The idea that we're going to blow everything up and end up with strong and equal schools is a pipe dream. Will be a race to the bottom.

In a year or two when Miles is gone and it's still a complete **** hole (but they've run off the families that actually support the schools), we can all scratch our heads and wonder what went wrong.

We are all wondering what went wrong already. That's why we are here.
sushi94
AG
AgLA06 said:

RK said:

I look at the segregated schools - magnet program similar to college - Lamar vs. TAMU - TAMU vs MIT

I would hope high achieving students would be put together to create competition and push their cohort. I saw this first hand at CVHS.

I think miles sytem may work at underperforming schools but to apply the practice across the whole district with high performing schools is a solution working on the wrong problem.

cone
AG
RK said:

and the minority of people in good schools have been the ones holding the system down?
this is easily his stupidest opinion
wessimo
AG
Heaters failed during the January freeze, now A/C systems are failing post derecho.
AgLiving06
If this is the kind of principal being fired, good riddens to them:

Herod Principal

Quote:

"When making decisions about school leaders, the first and in some ways, most critical piece of data HISD evaluates is the quality of a school. In most cases, if a school has an A or B rating, that is a strong indication that the principal is creating the kind of learning environment students need," the statement said. "When a school is rated C or lower, it often means the school is not serving students well on a consistent basis. And where campuses are not meeting the needs of all kids, HISD must examine what is happening at the school. That starts with the school's leadership."

It's something Berry said she agrees with but doesn't think the district is looking at the whole picture beyond STAAR testing scores.

"But I also think we need to think about what's happening in the education system in Texas in general," Berry said. "We have to take into account COVID."

So she admits her school is underperforming, but that's ok because COVID? Does she not think we remember that it was the teacher's unions who fought tooth and nail to not be in classrooms with kids? They finally admitting online teaching didn't work?
BBRex
AG
First, teachers unions in Texas don't have that much power. They can bark, but they can't bite. Second, principals are probably the administrators that unions go after the most. I wouldn't assume they are on the same team.
Al Bula
AG
AgLiving06 said:

If this is the kind of principal being fired, good riddens to them:
so this gal is good riddens huh? Speaking from experience?
AgLiving06
BBRex said:

First, teachers unions in Texas don't have that much power. They can bark, but they can't bite. Second, principals are probably the administrators that unions go after the most. I wouldn't assume they are on the same team.

HISD as a district was virtual for most of 2020 at least.

We can quibble over Unions vs HISD, but they were (prior to Miles) left leaning organizations that were likely taking direction from the same people.

So there's a choice.

If we are blaming covid, as this teacher did, then why? Who made the decision to stay virtual longer than most other places? Who should take the blame for it? HISD leadership? The Principal? The Teachers?

Just blankly blaming COVID is a lazy response. Many kids, who were in schools that didn't shut down thrived.

If we say it's not covid, then what caused the school to underperform? Why are we dancing around accountability. Is it the principal who failed? The teachers? The parents? All the above?

It's almost like we are afraid to say what the real problems are.

BBRex
AG
I work for a school district (not HISD). We went remote after spring break 2020. We were back in the office half time by June and full time by the beginning of August. We staggered the opening of school that fall, but we were letting all the kids who wanted to come back go face-to-face before Christmas 2020. My friends who worked in the private sector were the ones who spent three years (!) work from home, and some will never go back to the office.

I know HISD was more cautious than that, but a lot of the remote classes were driven by parents (and grandparents) who wanted their kids to stay home.
cryption
I also work for a school district and we were back in the office after spring break. We had zero remote time. My wife started working remote and she still does.
AgLiving06
I went down the google history tubes and it looks like HISD was virtual at least through the first 6 weeks of 2020-2021 school year.

Which is why I question that excuse.

If that's to be believed...kids have been back in schools for essentially 4 years. If we say they were out of school for ~3-4 months of class time (excluding summer break), how long do we realistically get to blame covid for the failures of these schools?

BTW...this teacher was on other networks last night...so she's very much in this for her personal gain. Making sure she tells anybody who will listen.
BillYeoman
During COVID HISD operated pretty much exactly like the other surrounding districts.

CY Fair I know gave students the option to be in person or virtual the entire 2020-21 school year. Even some private schools like Strake gave that option.

rononeill
what a mess this is. we're not in HISD so havent really paid much attention to all this. but over the last 4 days probably heard bits and pieces of the drama on a dozen different occassions. so, thank you Texags for being on top of this.

the comment about the recalibrating effort seeming communist in nature caught my attention. yea, i suppose there's some merit to that in the notion resources may get allocated to even out access. but on the other hand, it's a government program. if the objective is to provide a consistent level of knowledge absorption - should there be a spectrum of offerings from Mercedes to Ford Fiesta quality? or should the offerings be adjusted to Honda Civics for everyone? i think you have to go back to "what is the mission of the public school system?" then evaluate where individual educational objectives align with the offering. is it that different than, say, foodstamps - should some get filets while others get ramen?

this is a tough one because people have made personal/business decisions (where to live - taxes vs tuition) - but you're now beholden to "someone else" not changing things - but at some point the music stops.
Diggity
AG
If you look at the schools budgets per student, the lower performing schools tend to get more money already...so I'm not buying the "Mercedes vs Ford" analogy.

The difference is the student makeup and the parent support/involvement. No amount of tinkering from Miles is going to cause parents to become more active.
rononeill
didnt think about the dollars per head. if what you're saying is accurate, thats nuts - my comments were assuming the better schools were getting more $. totally with you on the parent involvement/home life factors - you cant change that with policy.
Diggity
AG
I'm sure there is more recent data out there, but the per pupil spend in 2021 was definitely tilted towards the lower income areas. GT gets a subsidy as well, but most of the extra spending is weighted towards income.

TexAg2001
AG
Diggity said:

If you look at the schools budgets per student, the lower performing schools tend to get more money already...so I'm not buying the "Mercedes vs Ford" analogy.

The difference is the student makeup and the parent support/involvement. No amount of tinkering from Miles is going to cause parents to become more active.
Exactly. Socioeconomic factors and parental involvement play a much higher part in student success than does campus and classroom leadership.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of the children of those protesting and complaining do well in school. The problem is that Miles is screwing with all schools instead of just those that are underperforming, and also firing very high-quality educators because the tools being used to measure success don't paint the whole picture or they question some of the decision-making.

I'm sure that some of the firings are absolutely warranted because those people were ill suited for the roles they were in, but HISD is also "throwing the baby out with the bath water" by including high quality educators that are in a no-win situation because they just happened to be employed at schools with low parental involvement.

All they are doing is creating is a culture of fear amongst employees. They talk about needing more teachers - Why would anyone want to go to work in HISD? Many HISD teachers I know are actively looking for employment in surrounding districts, so the shortage is only going to get worse.
JAD AG85
AG
I'm an HISD product and have been in school business administration for the past 10 years. There are more problems with HISD than you can imagine. In my honest opinion, Miles wasn't brought in to fix anything. He is along-time a-hole buddy of Mike Morath and was given the job and the security to do what he darn well pleases (while shutting up the TEA and "addressing the HISD issues") with the security of knowing he is accountable to nobody (especially HISD students and parents) and is supported in whatever craziness he undertakes from much higher up. He is just making his final money grab before retirement - that is all!!
AgLiving06
Diggity said:

The problem is...you can't say this part out loud because it's racist to do so.
HTownAg
AG
cone said:

also a strong correlation between those signs and him actively ****ing up good schools
HISD has not had many good schools in decades.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.