Houston
Sponsored by

Miles may be in trouble HISD related

17,326 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by agnerd
sushi94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If true this may be huge

wessimo
AG
GTFO.gif

Unbelievable. This POS needs to go. How could they put someone with such an obvious conflict of interest in this job?
RustyBV
AG
He has not left a good impression in our area. Trying to push the NES model on the good performing schools was not a great start. Now firing principals that won awards last year and are loved in the community…he knows how to piss people off, even at the good schools that don't need intervention like most of HISD.
Jackal99
AG
Curious what general area you're in, if you're comfortable sharing. I'm in the Meyerland area, whose principal is one that fits that description. My son will be going there next year, and their principal seems like a great guy based on the multiple times I've interacted with him so far.
RustyBV
AG
We're in the Energy Corridor, parents loved the West Briar MS principal and she's one of the ones let go.
Anastasia Beaverhaven
Any changes in HISD schools are probably good. It's a turd of a system and what's unfortunate is that our tax dollars go to support poor results. Who honestly supports the current 55% literacy rate?

The Karens can go cry at the Houston City Council meetings.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I'm looking at Katy ISD. Any Tompkins HS parents here?
BMX Bandit
Someone comes in to finally try to fix HISD and media attacks him?

Wow. Who could have predicted that?

Miles is the best thing on happen to HISD in ages. The liberal media and teachers unions are up in arms. Says a lot.
TexAgs1992
Both things can be true:

1. HISD needs a massive overhaul of its' schools and its' systems.

2. Mike Miles could be an absolute con artist, passing funds to schools out of state which is illegal.

The whole system is corrupt. The administrations and TEA, the majority of teachers, and the majority of parents who do not prioritize their children's education in and out of the home. It's a sham of a system and waste of tax dollars in many cases.
rilloaggie
AG
We've got a neighbor who lives on a main thoroughfare in our hood. They have a big pride flag and several other pride accoutrement displayed in their yard at any given time. They got their flag ripped down once or twice and are sure to post some intense whining on nextdoor anytime it happens. They've since raised their flag so far up the tree that you'd need an 8' ladder to vandalize it these days!

Anyway, they recently posted a "Miles has to go" sign in their yard that has some other feel good platitudes about how great HISD is. Kicker is, they have 2 elementary aged kids and they darn sure don't have them enrolled in the HISD elementary 1/2 a mile from their house. The kids are in a private school and the dad is a trustee with the school. HISD is so great that they won't let their kids go to school with the vunnable population nearby!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Anastasia Beaverhaven said:

Any changes in HISD schools are probably good. It's a turd of a system and what's unfortunate is that our tax dollars go to support poor results. Who honestly supports the current 55% literacy rate?

The Karens can go cry at the Houston City Council meetings.

Lol... Wut? Did you mean HISD Boardeetings? HISD is it's own political subdivision of the state completely separated from the city.
RK
AG
person has no clue what they are commenting on.

agree w/ the poster above that said HISD is trash and miles is also absolute trash. rather than focusing on the million things that need to be changed, he's messing with the few things that are actually good and working.
RK
AG
Quote:

Miles is the best thing on happen to HISD in ages.
can you elaborate?
Jackal99
AG
Yep. There's plenty that needs to be changed, no doubt. Change that and leave the good parts alone.

Furlock Bones
AG
HISD is/was a mess. Miles is absolute trash. Both things are true.

Places like Madison High School absolutely need tough love.

But how would some of yall cheering Miles feel if you bought a house zoned to a particular A rated school and Miles and his rubber stamp board dezoned you in a matter of 3 days? Because that is what just happened to Helms and Wharton Dual Language academy.

The rezoning process is usually a year plus long so the public can comment.

a few weeks ago, the board met on a Tuesday and proposed changing Helms and Wharton into special and unique schools. There is no current definition for what that is. The board met again that Thursday and voted it through. They sent out an email the following Monday telling people that were currently zoned to those schools and wanting their children to attend to contact them immediately or they may not have a seat.

Miles has yet to provide any clarification to what this means.

He's a piece of *****
Furlock Bones
AG
This passed week he sent an email to all maintenance and custodial teams that there was an all hands on deck meeting on Friday. He informed them that all of their jobs were being eliminated. They could reapply for the same jobs as hourly positions with no benefits.
Furlock Bones
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Miles is the best thing on happen to HISD in ages. The liberal media and teachers unions are up in arms. Says a lot.
This is definitely the opinion of someone that has no idea what is really going on.
MAS444
AG
HISD needs lots of reform...but there is also plenty of good that needs to be let alone.

Specifically regarding Miles, he spent $500k of taxpayers money producing a musical starring himself at an HISD function.
schmellba99
AG
Furlock Bones said:

BMX Bandit said:

This is definitely the opinion of someone that has no idea what is really going on.
I'm guessing that nobody really has any idea of what is going on in HISD, which is why it is such a Charlie Foxtrot and will likely continue to be for the near and long term.
RK
AG
if you pay attention (and i try my hardest not to, but with elementary kids and an involved wife it's impossible), there is plenty to see as it relates to miles.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Still not sure how firing librarians and taking out the books is helpful. IDK, always thought the library and encouraging reading was a good thing for young students.
herb96
AG
wessimo said:

GTFO.gif

Unbelievable. This POS needs to go. How could they put someone with such an obvious conflict of interest in this job?
Abbot is hell bent on killing the public school system.
schmellba99
AG
herb96 said:

wessimo said:

GTFO.gif

Abbot is hell bent on killing the public school system.
To be fair, the public school system needs to be killed and rebuilt at this point.
94chem
If you wanna fix the schools, stop having sex outside of marriage. Truth isn't a popularity contest.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
RK
AG
Quote:

To be fair, the public school system needs to be killed and rebuilt at this point.
yes. but, unfortunately, it would be the same gov't that ran it into the ground building it back up.

chem is right, in that a societal shift is needed before anything can be fixed. and that ain't going to happen, either.
Diggity
AG
this thread doesn't disappoint.

Furlock Bones
AG
MAS444 said:

HISD needs lots of reform...but there is also plenty of good that needs to be let alone.

Specifically regarding Miles, he spent $500k of taxpayers money producing a musical starring himself at an HISD function.
he's also brought in a multitude of executive level administrators with bloated salaries, yet he's slashing the librarians, maintenance, and custodial services.
Ag_07
AG
Our kids aren't in HISD schools so I don't keep up with all this as in depth as some of you do.

But wasn't Miles brought in to fix HISD including fixing the massive budget deficit? Best way to do that is cut costs which unfortunately means employees getting the axe. Oftentimes that means good employees who make the most money get cut. That's juts the nature of business.

Now this is the first I've heard of his shady funneling of money and that's a different story but I don't get being upset about people being let go. That's the easiest and quickest way to cut costs and make headway to fixing the budget.
MAS444
AG
See the post above yours.
TX04Aggie
AG
As a HISD taxpayer with no kids, who pays into this POS school district, my relatively uninformed opinion is that the libs and die hard public school crazies were never going to like anyone that the state put in charge, no matter who it was, because "republicans." Then the state seems to put this guy in charge who hasnt done many favors in his efforts in rebuilding HISD. So a lose lose for everyone. But, I do think the media and the people crying the hardest would have found something about anyone the state put in charge of HISD. You would hope the state would have chosen someone to be able to actually improve the situation, not make it worse.
Furlock Bones
AG
this is the problem as i and others have mentioned. everyone is screeching passed each other. but, this is seemingly turning into a situation where the other side was probably right about a guy and his motives.
TX04Aggie
AG
Yeah agree, seems like it.
Diggity
AG
this clown doesn't care about fixing the budget.

one of the first moves he made was to spend tens of millions on a new technology contract...to replace a perfectly good substitute that was only a couple years old. His reasoning was that he was already trained on the other brand and he was too busy to learn a new one.

He's an arrogant POS who no sane person would want to work for. I don't see how that will improve HISD.
W
AG
this is true

the local news channels went into immediate attack mode once Miles was appointed. It was very blatant

they were against everything from the start
W
AG
so if Miles is sacked...

then what?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.