Houston
Sponsored by

Barbers Hill

17,103 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Al Bula
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He just needed a safe space to be the white knight. Dude is dealing with some serious white guilt.
schmellba99
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

CDUB98 said:

Dumb hill for Barbers to die on.

I disagree completely. Should be enough evidence out there in todays society that if you give someone an inch they will take a mile. If the district wants boys hair to be a certain length and the parent signs the code of conduct which I gurantee they did then that's on her. If you don't like the rules, move.

BHISD has deep pockets and I'd imagine going to court isnt a big deal for them if they have all their i's dotted.

I applaud them and wish more district would have balls like them and not cave. This is why teachers are quitting in droves and why discipline has gone to **** in schools. Mommy doesn't like something they ***** and complain and hope the school caves. Zero backbone.
This.

Whether anybody wants to admit it or not, there are reasons for dress codes. In school, at work, at events, etc. Hell, most of the time at schools they should be stricter IMO.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
AustinCountyAg said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

And the hair policy isn't why teachers are leaving in droves. I'm all for schools holding students accountable but this ain't it.
reading comprehension clearly isnt a strong point of yours.
Do you feel better after your little jab? The length of a kids hair, as long as it isn't a safety issue, is of no concern to the learning process. The school is absurdly disrupting this kids learning opportunity over an old fashion way of looking at things. Old fashion isn't always bad but in this instance, it is.
once again you're missing the point.

BHISD has a rule regarding the length of boys hair. They knew the rule when they agreed to send there child to the school district. NOW they don't like it and want to ***** and complain and hope they cave. It's a terrible mentality of modern America and I applaud the district for not caving. If they didn't agree with the district's rules in place I'm sure Pasadena ISD is more liberal in their dress code and you can wear your hair as you choose. Also, I'm sure the eduction you receive is on par as well (sarcastic).

I'm gunna assume you have no problem with fetterman wearing a ten dollar hoddie and shorts into the senate and dressing like a slob as well? You see how the libs caved to him. It's ridiculous and I think doing that for him is a ****ing joke as well. Again you give people an inch and they take a mile.

One, this isn't a liberal v. conservative discussion. I also don't think chaning the rule is "caving" to anyone. The rule needs to be changed because it's archaic and has no bearing on a student's learning ability. The pictures that I've seen show his hair being clean and trim but of course, that may not be the way he's presenting at school.

No, I don't think Fetterman should be able to dress that way in the Senate but continue with your terrible assumptions. If you don't see the difference between the U.S. Senate and a small town Texas high school, I'm not sure you want to.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I'm all for a stricter dress code but make sure all of your neighbors are as well because they will complain the most when it's enforced and that takes up time that frankly we don't have in schools.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Geez guys I didnt start this post to start drama. I just want to know it black panthers are planning on storming campus.

To me that would be a major concern.
94chem
Aggie Hunter said:

Geez guys I didnt start this post to start drama. I just want to know it black panthers are planning on storming campus.

Ok, then, but answer us this: If you're not gonna storm a school over a kid's haircut, when WILL you? Some people will let society completely collapse before they lift a finger.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
htxag09
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

You didn't create a post repeating an unconfirmed/unbacked rumor that the black panthers are storming a HS campus to start drama?
Aggie Hunter
AG
htxag09 said:

Aggie Hunter said:

You didn't create a post repeating an unconfirmed/unbacked rumor that the black panthers are storming a HS campus to start drama?

I stand corrected, you are correct……..only on Texags could something get so twisted.
Sea Speed
AG
God forbid we teach the youth that there are rules in life and sometimes we don't like them but thems the breaks.
Texaggie7nine
If your family cultural history places importance on longer hair, then who is some gov ran school to tell your kid they have to cut it off?

7nine
BG Knocc Out
evestor1 said:

First free throw I ever made in a game was at Barbers Hill MS back in 96.

This kid needs to trim the dreads or move on bc Barbers Hill has more money than all of Jamaica and doesn't give an eff about your feelings.
Can someone explain this to me? Are there a bunch of oil tycoons living in Mt Belvieu or something? People keep saying this place has tons of $$$. Bro and I stopped to get Chicken Express across the street from that HS on the way back from Lake Chuck a few weeks ago and the area did not impress. I was assuming it was a ghetto or working class school just based on the area.
bigjag19
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

evestor1 said:

This kid needs to trim the dreads or move on bc Barbers Hill has more money than all of Jamaica and doesn't give an eff about your feelings.
Can someone explain this to me? Are there a bunch of oil tycoons living in Mt Belvieu or something? People keep saying this place has tons of $$$. Bro and I stopped to get Chicken Express across the street from that HS on the way back from Lake Chuck a few weeks ago and the area did not impress. I was assuming it was a ghetto or working class school just based on the area.

Rich people doesn't equal rich district. See Pasadena ISD. Taxing O&G is how a district is rich.
bigjag19
AG
Of other note

Didn't BH lose the suit a few years ago, finding their policy discriminatory?

Also this quote from super: the dress code is legal and that it teaches students to conform as a sacrifice benefiting everyone.

Sounds kind of commie to me.
BG Knocc Out
bigjag19 said:

Of other note

Didn't BH lose the suit a few years ago, finding their policy discriminatory?

Also this quote from super: the dress code is legal and that it teaches students to conform as a sacrifice benefiting everyone.

Sounds kind of commie to me.

By that logic, conservative private schools are commie and places like Cal Berkeley (where communism is actually taught accepted and promoted) are NOT commie.
TommyGun
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

evestor1 said:

District makes the lion share of their money off of local industry like Exxon, Enterprise Products, and Targa. They have a slush fund of over $100M while having some of the lowest property tax rates in the state. Most of the individuals with money live south of I-10 in Beach City. Mont Belvieu proper has typical middle class neighborhoods.

On the hair front I'm kind of in the middle on the whole deal. I think it's a little archaic but I also understand the reasoning behind the policy and one kid should not get to buck the uniform code. I live in the district and have several family members who are teachers here. I don't think the district has a problem with him wearing the hair up in the style presented in the news article. However, the problem is he refuses to keep it up and that is where he has gotten in trouble.

The family knows exactly what they're doing here. Kid was sent to be a martyr from day one and hopefully get the same publicity that the other kid received a few years ago with a big paycheck at the end. So from that standpoint, I do hope the district stands firm.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

If your family cultural history places importance on longer hair, then who is some gov ran school to tell your kid they have to cut it off?

I don't see anywhere that says he has to cut it off. Just wear it up like every other male with long hair does.
jja79
AG
I'm generally a follow the rules guy but as horrible as the public schools are I think they might want to focus on improving education rather than having hair rules.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Might need to start by improving the parents.
TarponChaser
jja79 said:

I'm generally a follow the rules guy but as horrible as the public schools are I think they might want to focus on improving education rather than having hair rules.

Judging by the number of boys I see with long mullets these days I think the two go hand-in-hand.
suburban cowboy
AG
jja79 said:

do they have poor education performance?
suburban cowboy
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Might need to start by improving the parents.

The parents elect the school board that hire the administrators that make the rules
jja79
AG
If they're like most public schools probably so.
suburban cowboy
AG
jja79 said:

If they're like most public schools probably so.

glad you are so well informed with such convicted opinions
Booma94
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I'm gunna assume you have no problem with fetterman wearing a ten dollar hoddie and shorts into the senate and dressing like a slob as well? You see how the libs caved to him. It's ridiculous and I think doing that for him is a ****ing joke as well. Again you give people an inch and they take a mile.
There's one difference you're overlooking with this comparison- the dress code Fetterman is not adhering to is applied equally to everyone. This situation with this kid's hair is a set of rules regarding hair length for boys and a completely different set of rules for girls. It has consistently been ruled that schools cannot apply rules differently based on gender.

BH will lose this case if/when it goes to court. I'm all for having rules, but the rules have to be defendable, and this one is pretty hard to defend. It's not safety related, it isn't distracting, and it isn't stopping others from learning- the biggest things that school rules shoud be in place to protect.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Booma94 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

There's one difference you're overlooking with this comparison- the dress code Fetterman is not adhering to is applied equally to everyone. This situation with this kid's hair is a set of rules regarding hair length for boys and a completely different set of rules for girls. It has consistently been ruled that schools cannot apply rules differently based on gender.

Wut? You think the women of the Senate had to wear the same suit pants, jacket and tie as the men?
Booma94
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Booma94 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Wut? You think the women of the Senate had to wear the same suit pants, jacket and tie as the men?
I think they had to wear acceptable business attire.
Jack Pearson
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

evestor1 said:

Area has a big tax base from enterprise, energy transfer, chevron, exxon etc.

Has a huge education foundation
https://www.barbershillef.org/

Area is full of plant worker and teacher wives making $200-300K combined in addition to some professionals that make much more. Lots of Ags in the area.

Go South of I-10 to see a sea of 500k-1M homes including some on the waterfront of Galveston Bay.

The Teachers are the highest paid in the state.

The District is a very high performing district in academics.

Athletics are top notch, just two years ago Baseball and Softball both won State in the same year. The #1 WNBA overall pick came out of a BH a few years ago.

It has a Friday night light feel for football games and the town travels to support all athletics.

District has rules to keep it that way, this kid could have signed the religious exemption form but didnt. He moved from Baytown schools where you can pretty much wear or do anything and the education there reflects that.

Letter from Superintendent Dr. Greg Poole in yesterdays local paper
https://baytownsun.com/opinion/letters/letter-to-the-editor-we-aren-t-canceled/article_531a7488-5be5-11ee-8839-1f7905561632.html
RK
AG
well, the senate changed their dress code for a guy that can't put on pants or shirts with buttons, so we'll see how this plays out...
AustinCountyAg
care to post it so we can read since it is behind a paywall?
Jack Pearson
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I have been responding individually to each email but it's clear that the answers all incorporate the same key elements, so I'm composing this universal answer to all inquiries regarding the Barbers Hill Dress Code and the incident that recently received national media coverage. I believe one of the major issues our country faces is an inability to have honest dialogue and discourse and even productive disagreement. This is exasperated by a biased media.
The following are facts that you likely didn't get from the ridiculously biased media.
1. We have always allowed students to have braids etc.

2. We have African American students that are not required to cut their hair. They have requested a religious exemption and provided genuine evidence to justify the exemption.
3. The author of the Crown Act in Texas has clarified it doesn't protect hair length. Furthermore, it will be most interesting to see the Crown Acts constitutionally proven with Affirmative Action declared unconstitutional.
4. Our district filed a Declaratory Lawsuit to seek court assistance to ensure the correctness of our interpretation.
5. Our district is a state leader in academic and extra curricular successes. Our African American student population has grown 62% since 20-21.
6. We handled COVID the way your public school district didn't. We never shut down traditional learning and our students are NOT experiencing the emotional, educational detriment that almost every other school district experienced.

7. We pay the highest teacher salaries in the state at EVERY level and our staff is exceptionally happy to be in a district that emphasizes safety and student discipline.
8. Our standards are community-based via a locally elected school board. Those of you who send expletives and uneducated rantings, move here and run for the school board and good luck with that. It's what used to be called the American way.
9. To be an American is "conforming." My grandfathers paused their lives to serve our country in WW2. Thank God they, and many others, did.
10. To the many that referenced Jesus: Do your homework. The most respected research indicates he likely had short hair. Regardless, he would have been granted a religious exemption in our district. Hopefully, he would have shared with our Father his contentment that our students pray at public events in his name.

To those who believe an uneducated and curse-filled email, based on a corrupt national media, will surely cancel behavior you have been manipulated to believe exists.
Sorry... we aren't canceled.
Dr. Greg Poole, Barbers Hill ISD Superintendent
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Jack Pearson said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I have been responding individually to each email but it's clear that the answers all incorporate the same key elements, so I'm composing this universal answer to all inquiries regarding the Barbers Hill Dress Code and the incident that recently received national media coverage. I believe one of the major issues our country faces is an inability to have honest dialogue and discourse and even productive disagreement. This is exasperated by a biased media.
The following are facts that you likely didn't get from the ridiculously biased media.
1. We have always allowed students to have braids etc.

2. We have African American students that are not required to cut their hair. They have requested a religious exemption and provided genuine evidence to justify the exemption.
3. The author of the Crown Act in Texas has clarified it doesn't protect hair length. Furthermore, it will be most interesting to see the Crown Acts constitutionally proven with Affirmative Action declared unconstitutional.
4. Our district filed a Declaratory Lawsuit to seek court assistance to ensure the correctness of our interpretation.
5. Our district is a state leader in academic and extra curricular successes. Our African American student population has grown 62% since 20-21.
6. We handled COVID the way your public school district didn't. We never shut down traditional learning and our students are NOT experiencing the emotional, educational detriment that almost every other school district experienced.

7. We pay the highest teacher salaries in the state at EVERY level and our staff is exceptionally happy to be in a district that emphasizes safety and student discipline.
8. Our standards are community-based via a locally elected school board. Those of you who send expletives and uneducated rantings, move here and run for the school board and good luck with that. It's what used to be called the American way.
9. To be an American is "conforming." My grandfathers paused their lives to serve our country in WW2. Thank God they, and many others, did.
10. To the many that referenced Jesus: Do your homework. The most respected research indicates he likely had short hair. Regardless, he would have been granted a religious exemption in our district. Hopefully, he would have shared with our Father his contentment that our students pray at public events in his name.

To those who believe an uneducated and curse-filled email, based on a corrupt national media, will surely cancel behavior you have been manipulated to believe exists.
Sorry... we aren't canceled.
Dr. Greg Poole, Barbers Hill ISD Superintendent
I do like the tone of his response but I still think the rule is dumb. Well done by him.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I think he made it a little too personal, especially towards the end. But overall I like the message.
Bassmaster
AG
Jack Pearson said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I don't care about the hair stuff, but found this interesting. He is suggesting that they didn't go virtual for any period of time. That has to be false, right?
htxag09
AG
Getting WW2, COVID, and the biased media in a response over a dress code/hair issue is impressive...
RK
AG
I was thinking some of his points seemed pretty off-schedule. Then I thought, no telling what kind of emails he is responding to…I'm sure they would be an interesting read.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.