Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2023

52,600 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by aTm_bomb
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If it doesn't have a homestead exemption, then there is no cap.
agnatgas
AG
77079 (Rummel Creek) up 9.6%
billyjack2009
Bleh. Ok. Thx.
Cru
S
sawemoffshort07 said:

I will protest (Jubally shout out, but GD your prices keep creeping, twice in 2 years and up $20 since 2015) up, down or sideways. Want market to be as low as possible, always, to limit how many 10% pegs to get there.

I'll go back and look at the pricing each year but I'm pretty sure we've only increased our prices twice in our 11 years.

Either way, I'll also post a code texags folks can use for a discount. I'll do that about the time we go live this year.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Upped $5 last year and $10 this year. Yes it was flat from 2016-2021.

TexAg2001
AG
Lasy year: Market value increased 30% I protested and got market down to the 10% homestead cap.
This year: Market value increased 20%

It's ridiculous. Based on recent home sales in my area, there is no way I'd be able to get anywhere close to the "market value" they say it's worth.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Popped with the full 10% in unincorporated Fort Bend County. Sucks cause I'm still under market value.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Anybody know where to buy tar and feathers in bulk?
Project Gemini
AG
You cheap ****. He's helping you fight tens of thousands of dollars in property tax value. Those price increases are probably not making up for his rising costs in this economy.
htxag09
AG
Eh, I'm torn. I agree with you. But the fact is tens of thousands of dollars off property values doesn't necessarily mean money in my pocket. There's a break even for everyone.

Then you have the fact that you can go with a team that 100% handles it for not much more, I literally do nothing beyond signing the contract…..and they had more success than I had using jubally.
TXTransplant
I'm still wondering - if you hire a company to protest and all they do is get your market value lowered (appraised stays the same), what do they charge? Because the fee is supposed to be a percentage of your tax savings. If appraised doesn't change, there is no tax savings. But, in the long term, it's better to keep your market as low as you can.
htxag09
AG
TXTransplant said:

I'm still wondering - if you hire a company to protest and all they do is get your market value lowered (appraised stays the same), what do they charge? Because the fee is supposed to be a percentage of your tax savings. If appraised doesn't change, there is no tax savings. But, in the long term, it's better to keep your market as low as you can.

They answered this last year. They don't charge a percentage of tax savings as you're thinking, aka your max is capped so you didn't save taxes. It's as if you aren't homesteaded. So, your tax liability may not change but you still owe based on what they dropped the value.
jh0400
AG
Diggity said:

Up 10% in Westbury.

Same. Put me in the camp that would hit the "print check" button if it was an option.
TXTransplant
htxag09 said:

TXTransplant said:

They answered this last year. They don't charge a percentage of tax savings as you're thinking, aka your max is capped so you didn't save taxes. It's as if you aren't homesteaded. So, your tax liability may not change but you still owe based on what they dropped the value.

Thanks - I don't remember seeing that explanation. So it costs more money with no tax savings to protest if you're only protesting market value. All the more reason to do it myself.
Cru
S
TXTransplant said:

htxag09 said:

TXTransplant said:

Thanks - I don't remember seeing that explanation. So it costs more money with no tax savings to protest if you're only protesting market value. All the more reason to do it myself.

Yep.

And for Jubally, if you don't reduce it below your appraised value, we will give you a refund (so long as you attended your hearing with the ARB).
TXTransplant
Unfortunately there is no hope for reducing my appraised. I'm just trying to head off the hemorrhaging next year. My market is out of control.
Cru
S
I get it. Seems like everyone's is these days if it isn't the first year of ownership for that home. Ridiculous.
Teddy Perkins
AG
TXTransplant said:

Elias will do it for a flat fee and he gives a TexAgs discount. https://www.hataxgroup.com/ For me, it was worth the $200 just to not have to deal with it last year.
jh0400
AG
Seconded. It's worth what I pay him to not have to worry about it.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
+39.3% increase in market. 77008. I couldn't move my house for 75% of that number. They are literally just making it up at this point.
SnowboardAg
AG
Time for me to dispute - market value up almost 20% - last year was a slam dunk, going with the same approach this year. Takes me maybe 4-5 hours total including research and time sitting in hcad
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Yep. I've done it in my own the last 5 years and have had great success. Last year I got them down to a 0.9% increase in 77008. The previous 4 years I was somehow able to keep it flat with 0% increase.
SnowboardAg
AG
I'm not sure I understand why folks don't research / do themselves. Last year I saved over $1000 in taxes with 4-5 hrs of work. The first time doing it took a lot longer but now it's almost plug and play to type in my comps and dispute it.
TXTransplant
If you want to protest using sales comps, you need a realtor who can pull those. We have a couple in our 'hood who will do it, but if you don't know anyone, it's harder to get that info. HAR only posts a sales price range, and it's pretty large.

I've had pretty good luck protesting myself. I've done it 4 or 5 times over the past few years and "won" every time. I keep thinking my luck is going to run out.

Even though there is no direct comp sales data to support increasing my value this year over last year, I'm sure HCAD is going to say there is some mystery "market adjustment" correction that justifies the increase. Problem I have with that is they NEVER decrease the value to "market adjust" down.

And I'm so sick and tired of arguing with them every single year. Yes, it's not hard to do, but why is the burden of proof on the homeowner when HCAD has access to the exact same data? Why aren't they accountable for how they are using the data - which is clearly skewed in their favor? I'd be curious to know the number of protests that are filed every year and what percentage of those are decided in favor of the homeowner.
Daytona22
AG
Wow… 24% increase over here. That's crazy…
AgLA06
AG
$70k increase from last year.

Sea Speed
AG
This has to be the year the people revolt, right? This is effing absurd.
sawemoffshort07
AG
I'm going to do it again, as I have been for 7-8 years. Pretty sure I can make mention of prices moving up after being steady and not have to answer to you.
TXTransplant
HCAD is even more incompetent, or better yet, crooked than I thought.

I forgot a house on my street (literally across the street and two houses down) did sell in Feb 2022 - 2500 square feet and it sold for $460k. That's $184/sq ft. My house is about 2300 sq feet, yet they bumped my value from $425,000 to $524,064. This is absolutely ridiculous and borderline fraudulent.
SnowboardAg
AG
I hope residents flood the office with disputes. But a hot housing market last year did nothing to help home owners.

Just means rents will continue to climb for tenants and maybe investors will have to liquidate some vacant properties. Could be an opportunity there for investors that aren't over leveraged.
Diggity
AG
Why are these theoretical properties sitting empty in one of the strongest rental markets in history?
SnowboardAg
AG
I just see a sea of rentals available on har. Not sure what avg DOM are or if that's climbing.
Diggity
AG
average rents are up about 30% from pre-pandemic levels.

Might be some more inventory these days, but mainly because sellers are testing the rental market as well, if they can't get the price they want.

In any case, I wouldn't see much reason for liquidation under the current conditions.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I just helped a friend of my wife's look at rentals this afternoon in the Heights and Rice Military. I tried to schedule eight homes and we ended up only being able to see three because the others got multiple offers and were taken off the market in the first weekend available. I've never seen anything like this.
MAS444
AG
Uh…we don't have a signed lease…yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.