Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2023

50,038 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by aTm_bomb
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
High Functioning Moron said:

Is the adjustment downwards if you have a corner lot?
It would be if there is an adjustment. Whether there is an adjustment at all depends on how busy the cross street is.
Sea Speed
AG
My buddies place in Seabrook went up 72% to nearly $1.1mm. SEVENTY TWO PERCENT. That is ****ing criminal. Someone should be hung for **** like that.
Cromagnum
AG
We got this bull**** letter from our appraisal board. Basically a bunch of hand waving that they felt our county somehow was below state average and they could not disclose exactly how that was calculated.

We didn't have a single home built, bought, or sold in my subdivision in the last year yet magically everyone got hit for 25-40% anyways. I want to know what they are comparing us to.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
Address?
Sea Speed
AG
I cant post his address but it is in harris County.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I only asked because a $1.1m house in Seabrook is likely not that unreasonable. There's some pricey real estate there.

Speaking of which, the good Ag, Don Valentine of John Moore Services has his beach house for sale there. Wish I could buy it.
Sea Speed
AG
Yes I completely agree, but this ain't it. Especially not through a 72% jump in valuation.
Diggity
AG
is there something more to the story? major additions...historically low valuation, etc.?
Sea Speed
AG
Nope. When he bought it a few years back it was in the market nearly a year and he got the sellers to come off of their ask pretty substantially. They have done no real improvements outside of paint and a couple little things here and there. Nothing at all that would increase valuation like this.
Diggity
AG
did the bulk of the increase come from land adjustments or improvement?
Sea Speed
AG
I'm not sure i didn't get in to the weeds but if it is land improvements he has a fantastic argument against it as Centerpoint is planning to put in a substation right by the property that his entire neighborhood is fighting. The current value is right around purchase price only 2 or so years ago, 72% increase is BSC.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, land value is a bear to argue so hopefully not.

On the surface, that sounds totally insane. Would love to see the details.
Sea Speed
AG
Land stayed the same, improvements from $470 to $921. No changes or permits pulled, no additions. Purchased in 2021.
Diggity
AG
Pretty unbelievable. Would love to see their evidence package for that.
Sea Speed
AG
Ok I lied. He put in a 15x15 fenced off vegetable garden. Definitely worth 450k.
Diggity
AG
Maybe if it was an "herb" garden
AgLA06
AG
Definitely "oregano"
aggiecody06
Working on helping out some friends in Harris County with homestead exemption so not familiar with HCAD website. Where exactly does it show if the house is currently homesteaded? On MCAD website it's blatantly obvious whether it's homestead and can't seem to locate on HCAD. Thanks for help
Bondag
AG
If appraised = market they are not exempt
htxag09
AG
Not necessarily. But I did just check and there is a large box for exemptions

aggiecody06
Thanks that's what I was trying to find. So my friends weren't informed to apply the homestead exemption when they purchased house from parents. Can't they submit for it and now and can backdate up to 3 years? Is it as simple as doing it online with year they bought it?
Bondag
AG
aggiecody06 said:

Thanks that's what I was trying to find. So my friends weren't informed to apply the homestead exemption when they purchased house from parents. Can't they submit for it and now and can backdate up to 3 years? Is it as simple as doing it online with year they bought it?

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Did their agent not tell them about applying for homestead exemptions?
KDubAg
AG
If they purchased the house from parents, they probably didn't have an agents.
aggiecody06
Knowing this guy he prob forgot/didn't do it.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I knew the answer when I asked. This would be another great reason to get yourself help from someone who knows what they are doing when buying a home, even with a 100% amicable transaction.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yes, HCAD will back date it.

Edit to add wrong emoji ???
aTm2004
AG
aggiecody06 said:

Yeah right. My buddy sold his house in the Dallas M-Streets and moved into his house on Cedar Creek full-time. He tried to HS it before the end of the year but wasn't able to. They county took it to him and increased his value from like $450k to $1mm. Effing criminal. The county gave zero effs.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
aTm2004 said:

aggiecody06 said:

Yeah right. My buddy sold his house in the Dallas M-Streets and moved into his house on Cedar Creek full-time. He tried to HS it before the end of the year but wasn't able to. They county took it to him and increased his value from like $450k to $1mm. Effing criminal. The county gave zero effs.

Tell your friend he can file it up to two years after the Feb 1 deadline to file.
aTm2004
AG
He hired an attorney to get it sorted out. They were only able to get it down to the mid-700s. He's owned the house several years, but started living there full-time during the lockdowns and decided to sell his Dallas house since the market was hot.
Cromagnum
AG
For those that have used O'Connor, how does it work exactly? I've heard they split any tax savings with you, so I assume their bill goes by the tax you have to pay at the end of the day and not any difference in assessed value. Is that correct?
Rule Number 32
AG
Any recommendations for a property tax company up in Montgomery County? The guys I used to use in Harris don't cover MCAD. Definitely need to fight this year.
inch05
AG
Not taking on new clients I guess? Just got an email from the office saying so.
Jackal99
AG
I got the same. Wondering who to use now.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Correct-

With the maassive increase in clients this year, we had to put in a cut off date. Unlike other firms who spit out a report in secounds, we review each property 1 by 1 which takes up a lot of time. We can't provide that service if we left the flood gates open. I hate to turn business down, but I have to take care of clients and provide everyone the same level of service.

Hope you all understand and sorry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.