Houston
Sponsored by

11th Street Bike Lanes Update

37,628 Views | 463 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by drumboy
Chewy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Still a group out there creating opposition.

If you're on Facebook please go like this page. It's also a great way to get information on what's going on.

https://m.facebook.com/ARTS-Alliance-for-Reasonable-Traffic-Solutions-101600232504016/

The goal right now is to get 2 At Large Councilmembers to request a halt on the project. There's some momentum so it's possible. I know that Abbie Kamin's team is actively listening to the opposition.

If you're serious send daily or weekly emails to the following:

mayor@houstontx.gov
districtc@houstontx.gov
atlarge1@houstontx.gov
atlarge2@houstontx.gov
atlarge3@houstontx.gov
atlarge4@houstontx.gov
atlarge5@houstontx.gov

Simply state you're opposed to the plan and would like more information if you haven't already.

You can also ask the following questions in your own words:

1) How did the city go about getting resident feedback and did they quantify that resident feedback?
2) Is this a bike lane project or a roadway safety project?
3) Was 14th ever seriously considered for these bike lanes if the City feels additional bike access is needed in the Heights?
4) Data shows that 70% of the crashes being used to help justify this project occurred at 6 intersections. If that data is true are those six intersections a major focus for safety? Does all of 11th have to be altered to make those intersections safer?
5) What other cities have they researched for this traffic calming project and what did they find?
6) What lessons have been learned from similar roadways in Houston where similar plans have already been implemented?
7) Who killed Epstein?
swimmerbabe11
I commend your efforts to be involved in local politics and I enjoy following this saga.
HeightsAg
Thank you for posting this - I just blasted off a bunch of emails. Give 'em hell!
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
THE DOWNTOWN BIKE LANES SUCK DONKEY BALLS.
agz win
AG
To put one on San Jacinto and include no right turn on red signage when it's the main access to 59 North and the HOV is beyond reprehensible and a complete, clustered trajemockery. Still gonna make that right turn, wheels.
HeightsAg
The d-bag Chronicle reporter who declared the 11th street bike lane project as all but done in a 100% one sided article is back at it again with another anti-car hit piece with his BikeHouston buddy Joe Cutrufo. I suppose this is what local news looks like when you pay these journalists roughly the same amount as an Uber Eats driver.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/Houston-kingwood-bike-crash-loop-494-17022860.php
HeightsAg
Somebody started a change petition on this issue. Not sure how much impact it'll have but it only takes 10 seconds so please sign if you oppose this idiotic idea.

https://chng.it/DNjspbY6kZ
Ryan the Temp
AG
This is my correspondence to the Mayor and Council members. I am only posting it here in the hope it gives some of you some talking points you can use or share with others to bolster your arguments against the project.

Quote:

I have lived on [REDACTED] feet from West 11th Street, for the last 16 years. I drive on W. 11th at least twice a day and walk along W. 11th at least once a day.

I am very strongly opposed to the 11th Street Bikeway project.

This is a project for which the City Planning Department has actively tried to evade public discussion and has misled both the public and elected officials. This project will create a horrendous traffic nightmare and will cause massive problems in our neighborhood. Please allow me to detail the specifics of my opposition:

[ol]
  • I discussed this project at length with then-Deputy Director of Transportation & Drainage Operations Jeff Weatherford. Jeff was very direct in saying this project is "a pet project of a single employee in the Planning Department," "serves no real functional purpose to resolve safety issues," and "will make the traffic in the neighborhood much worse."
  • The Planning Department often announced public meeting the day before or day of the meeting in order to intentionally reduce the number of attendees. They often spoke of "widespread community support," but could provide no evidence of such and the overwhelming majority of attendees at the few meetings I was made aware of were vehemently opposed to the project. Every property owner in attendance who owns property on or near W. 11th spoke out against the project.
  • The Planning Department and Ian Hlavacek from Public Works spoke at the first public meeting I attended and declared, "Bike lanes aren't guaranteed - We just figured we could explore them as an option while we try to resolve safety concerns." This was an outright lie. This project was posted on City of Houston websites as a bikeway project from the very beginning. Attempting to claim bike lanes were an afterthought or side effect benefit of this project is an active attempt to deceive the public.
  • The Planning Department is deceptively manipulating crash statistics to justify this project. Of the total number of crashes they cited on W. 11th between North Shepherd and Pecore, a full 50 percent of them occurred at one single intersection - W. 11th and North Shepherd. This intersection absolutely cannot be compared to any other intersection on this segment of W. 11th. It is the only intersection that involves five lanes (two in each direction plus a left turn lane) intersecting with four lanes in a single direction. Some things to note about crashes at this intersection are that North Shepherd is one-way northbound and motorists are known to erroneously turn southbound onto North Shepherd, traffic on North Shepherd often exceeds the posted speed limit by 10 or more miles per hour, and drive-through patrons at Popeye's Chicken frequently back up out onto North Shepherd.
  • We've reduced W. 11th to two lanes before and it was a total disaster. Several years ago a repaving project kept W. 11th reduced to one lane in each direction for several weeks. This caused massive traffic backups that were only alleviated by motorists dispersing through the neighborhood streets to get around the traffic backup. This resulted in massively increased vehicular traffic moving at high rates of speed on Allston, Rutland, Tulane, Ashland, W. 8th, W. 9th, W. 10th, W. 12th, and W. 13th Streets. This created safety hazards for the residents of this neighborhood. When the Planning Department claims the traffic will be bad initially, but will then normalize and ease up, this is what they mean - traffic on W. 11th will ease up while traffic on adjacent streets increases dramatically as motorists try to avoid W. 11th.
  • There are at least three restaurants that cause traffic backups into the outer lanes of W. 11th due to their valet services. If W. 11th is reduced to two lanes, these backups will bring all traffic on W. 11th to a complete halt while restaurant patrons are waiting to valet. This creates the risk that a stopped vehicle could be struck, motorists will attempt to cross into the opposing lane to pass, and traffic will divert into the neighborhood.
  • The most significant REAL safety issue on W. 11th, excluding the intersection of W. 11th/N. Shepherd is the intersection of W. 11th and the MKT Hike & Bike Trail at Nicholson Street. The posted yield signs are not easily visible, particularly by motorist in the inner two lanes. Installation of a flashing beacon alerting motorists to yield to pedestrians and HPD enforcement will do more to improve safety on W. 11th than this project ever will.
  • [/ol]
    Simply put, this project is a waste of time and resources that will do more harm than good. There are other efforts that could be undertaken to solve the real problems in the area:

[ol]
  • Narrower lane width on W. 11th to reduce the 85th percentile traffic speed. This can be done with simple restriping of wider double yellow in the middle of the street and collapsing the lanes outward.
  • Have HPD engage in speed enforcement. The regular presence of "speed traps" is known to reduce overall traffic speed, even when police are not present.
  • Reduce lane width on North Shepherd from 7th Street to W. 11th. I previously proposed this solution ain 2019, along with a proposal for a pedestrian signal near W. 10th. The City adopted and installed the proposal for a pedestrian signal, but made no changes to lane width on North Shepherd. A copy of the original proposal is attached for your reference. This specific provision for traffic calming on North Shepherd is on the second and third pages and could reduce the 85th percentile speed by as much as nine miles per hour.
  • [/ol]
    As a property owner who will be directly and negatively impacted by this wasteful, unnecessary project, I urge you to put an end to it and not allow it to go forward. Put City resources where they will do some actual good to improve traffic and safety.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    AG
    He's back!
    aTm_bomb
    AG
    Chewy
    AG
    I came here to post the latest I received. I TOTALLY missed an appearance by Ryan The Temp. A damn TexAgs legend showed up for this! Good to know he's around and still fighting the good fight!

Here's the latest:
    https://www.change.org/p/force-a-re-think-on-road-diets-11th-street-lane-reduction/u/30513651

Mayor Turner SUSPENDS 11th Street Project for 30 days!!
    Heights Resident
    Houston, TX, United States
    MAY 4, 2022
    Hello Everyone -

As you are aware, we have had a presence at Open Council for the last 4 weeks. We made significant strides yesterday! Our own Engineer presented data that demonstrated 11th Street is SAFE and meets the Vision Zero Plan. He showed that the data the City used was out of date and inaccurate to justify the project. Mayor Turner agreed to suspend the project for 30 days so he can do further research.

After the meeting, we were interviewed by KHOU11 which aired last night - link attached

We need to capitalize on this momentum! If you are interested in obtaining a Yard Sign, please send us an email @ Houston@protectingourstreets.com or DM us on FB: ARTS - Alliance for Reasonable Traffic Solutions.

Our request is that each of you take 5 mins this week to send a Thank You email to Mayor Turner, cc:ing all others, expressing your appreciation and why you are appreciative. At Large CM Kubosh stated, "he (mayor) has only done this one time before - we have his attention"

Mayor - mayor@houstontx.gov
    Mayor Pro Tem - Dave Martin districte@houstontx.gov
    District C - Abbie Kamin - 832-393-3004 - districtc@houstontx.gov
    District H - Karla Cisneros - 832.393.3003 - districth@houstontx.gov
    At-Large Position 1 - Mike Knox - 832.393.3014 - atlarge1@houstontx.gov
    At-Large Position 2 - David Robinson - 832.393.3013 - atlarge2@houstontx.gov
    At-Large Position 3 - Michael Kubosh 832.393.3005 atlarge3@houstontx.gov
    At-Large Position 4 - Letitia Plummer - 832.393.3012 atlarge4@houstontx.gov
    At-Large Position 5 - Sallie Alcorn - 832.393.3017 - atlarge5@houstontx.gov
    David Fields Chief Transportation Planner DPW - 832-393-6600 - David.Fields@houstontx.gov

Much Thanks Everyone -
    ARTS - Alliance for Reasonable Traffic Solutions
    Ryan the Temp
    AG
    Construction of the new configuration has commenced at the Michaux end of 11th Street and will work its way westward. The fun part is they aren't simply bolting down pre-cast barriers for the bike lanes; they are saw cutting the asphalt and pouring concrete barriers. This means there is no way in hell they are going to undo the changes when it all turns to **** because it would require significant reconstruction to do.
    drumboy
    AG
    Ryan the Temp said:

Construction of the new configuration has commenced at the Michaux end of 11th Street and will work its way westward. The fun part is they aren't simply bolting down pre-cast barriers for the bike lanes; they are saw cutting the asphalt and pouring concrete barriers. This means there is no way in hell they are going to undo the changes when it all turns to **** because it would require significant reconstruction to do.

I went past there this morning. It's gonna be a cluster towards Shepherd.

I might just start riding my bike cause it's gonna suck driving the kids to school.
    Chewy
    AG
    Ryan the Temp said:

Shouldn't be surprised they lied about bolting down pre-cast barriers like they said they were going to do. Guess they realized how easily reversed they could be when this gets proven to be a cluster.
    MAS444
    AG
    Can't turn left from/onto Michaux/White Oak now too.
    MAS444
    AG
    Re: the bike lanes on the north side of Michaux @ 11th....I don't understand what they've done with that curved merge lane going south from Norhill onto 11th (heading west). It seems very narrow for a car lane (which is what it has to be - right?). Maybe not - just looks strange to me.

In other related news, The Gypsy Poet Heights is soft opened and is pretty damn good. Wish it was something other than a pizza place - but I'm guessing it'll do well. I just hope they serve alcohol. Assuming they will - but they haven't yet.
    Ryan the Temp
    AG
    MAS444 said:

Re: the bike lanes on the north side of Michaux @ 11th....I don't understand what they've done with that curved merge lane going south from Norhill onto 11th (heading west). It seems very narrow for a car lane (which is what it has to be - right?). Maybe not - just looks strange to me.
    I drove that way this evening and what they did east of Studewood is totally F'ed. Eastbound traffic was a nightmare because of it - Took me a full 10 minutes to get through that intersection because two lanes have to merge into one when they cross the intersection.
    MAS444
    AG
    I'm assuming they're going to make the center lane left turn only?, which would help there. Just my assumption though. It really needed that anyway imo. That's area is really going to be a problem with Hogg drop off and pick up.
    Ryan the Temp
    AG
    MAS444 said:

I'm assuming they're going to make the center lane left turn only?, which would help there. Just my assumption though. It really needed that anyway imo. That's area is really going to be a problem with Hogg drop off and pick up.
    There will be a dedicated left turn lane there, but it won't be long enough to accommodate more than roughly 3 or 4 cars. They can re-time the light for a dedicated left turn signal, which will then have a cascade effect of slowing down the entire light cycle. If the left turn signal is red and the through signal is green, cars waiting to turn will prevent through traffic from getting to the intersection, and if the left turn signal is green and the through signal is red, cars waiting to go through will prevent cars from getting to the left turn lane. It's possible we could see people driving in the opposing traffic lane to get to the left turn lane. If you've ever been stuck in that left lane driving north on Studemont because traffic backed up waiting to turn left onto Washington Ave, that's what it might be like, except there won't be an extra lane that allows cars to go around.
    Sea Speed
    AG
    The government is the fuggin worst
    Ryan the Temp
    AG
    Sea Speed said:

When the public works director tells Channel 2 that 40% of all water meters in the city aren't functioning correctly, I wonder how many meters the $600,000 they are spending on this BS project could have fixed.
    Texan_Aggie
    AG
    Probably about 20
    Ciboag96
    Ryan the Temp said:

Sea Speed said:

When the public works director tells Channel 2 that 40% of all water meters in the city aren't functioning correctly, I wonder how many meters the $600,000 they are spending on this BS project could have fixed.
    Now imagine if they ran your personal healthcare
    Ryan the Temp
    AG
    I am 100% certain a municipal public works department is not qualified to manage healthcare.
    Martin Q. Blank
    Ryan the Temp said:

I am 100% certain a municipal public works department is not qualified to manage healthcare.
    They're not even qualified to manage municipal public works.
    BarryProfit
    Martin Q. Blank said:

Ryan the Temp said:

They're not even qualified to manage municipal public works.

They're not even qualified to spell municipal public works.
    cs09
    AG
    Ryan the Temp said:

MAS444 said:

There will be a dedicated left turn lane there, but it won't be long enough to accommodate more than roughly 3 or 4 cars. They can re-time the light for a dedicated left turn signal, which will then have a cascade effect of slowing down the entire light cycle. If the left turn signal is red and the through signal is green, cars waiting to turn will prevent through traffic from getting to the intersection, and if the left turn signal is green and the through signal is red, cars waiting to go through will prevent cars from getting to the left turn lane. It's possible we could see people driving in the opposing traffic lane to get to the left turn lane. If you've ever been stuck in that left lane driving north on Studemont because traffic backed up waiting to turn left onto Washington Ave, that's what it might be like, except there won't be an extra lane that allows cars to go around.

This is exactly what happened today. I was driving east on 11th starting from Shepherd trying to reach 45 at about 3:45pm. Most of the drive was fine because it was still early, but as you approached Hogg it was a cluster.

Pickup line wrapped around Michaux onto 11th, about 10 cars deep. No movement whatsoever through multiple light changes. As Ryan the temp predicted, some cars started going into the west flowing lane to go around the stopped cars but it was certainly dangerous because you could not confidently tell how much on coming traffic was headed your way. I had to go into the neighborhood to get around it, which like all of us have stated is the danger - frustrated drivers going into the neighborhood at higher than normal speeds trying to get around a stoppage of traffic.

I would certainly advise against traveling East on 11th by Hogg at school time.
    Ryan the Temp
    AG
    Either they made a last-minute change and decided to go with a center turn lane, or the center turn lane exists until they can construct the medians. The pedestrian "refuge" median next to Hogg is just like the one going in at Nicholson.
    CoachRTM
    AG
    I went through there about 15-30 minutes after you. This is such a predictable nightmare.

11th and Yale was pretty bad too.
    Ryan the Temp
    AG
    CoachRTM said:

11th and Yale was pretty bad too.
    I drove through there around 5:25 and eastbound traffic was backed up for four blocks before the Yale intersection.
    wessimo
    AG
    I want to know how many people have already lost tires hitting the new curbs. I've seen two hits already. Are they going to be adding pylons on top?
    Ryan the Temp
    AG
    wessimo said:

Are they going to be adding pylons on top?
    Probably not, since this project was never actually about safety.
    chico
    AG
    wessimo said:

I want to know how many people have already lost tires hitting the new curbs. I've seen two hits already. Are they going to be adding pylons on top?

Just look at all the tire skid marks on all of the new curb dividers. Lots of people have hit those things. I'm waiting to see my first hubcap or oil pan.
    chico
    AG
    And that separated lane is very dangerous for bike riders. Too many driveways, intersections- places where cars can turn right or left or T-bone directly into you. It's also easy on a bike to hit one of those curb dividers that suddenly jump right in your way.
    drumboy
    AG
    11th and Heights Eastbound has a no right turns sign, I guess to protect the bike lane. Wtf

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.