Houston
Sponsored by

2022 Property Taxes...

61,810 Views | 517 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AGHouston11
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need help for my mom. Dad passed away last week and he was always the one to go through the protest process. House valuation went up $300k. Located in Montgomery County. I'm ill equipped to help directly but want to do whatever possible to get it down to a reasonable value.
Sea Speed
AG
Value went up 300k or up to 300k?
mneisch
AG
Up $300k. From $544k to $869k.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Email me at ehaidamous@hataxgroup.com. I will work it for free this year for your mom. Sorry for your loss.

Aggies take care of Aggies.
htxag09
AG
I sent you my signed agreement today. Glad I did
JJxvi
AG
RenoAg said:

If I protest the market value and they find a higher priced comp, could they potentially raise my market value? In other words, is there any possible downside to a protest?
The ARB used to be able to raise the value, but the law was changed so that they can't within the last few years.
Bassmaster
AG
Similar here. Up 295k in MoCo. Good luck to your mom.
GoAgs92
AG
So these guys get paid on the market value decrease, even though you don't save a penny.

Seems like a Waste of money until the appraised value is worth fighting.

I once protested in fort bend and their appraisal had "misc adjustments" as an adjustment…ha.
mneisch
AG
Incredible offer, email sent!
Texas A&M
I had a neighbor ask me the following question that one of y'all might know. They moved into their house in Montgomery county around June or July of '21 (new construction). Their appraisal was only for the value of the land. Is that a mistake, or will the house just be added next year? Basically, I'm wondering if there's a certain month that is the cutoff for when the house has to be completed for you to be taxed on the full value. We've been in our house for 10+ years, so I don't remember what happened when we built.
MAS444
AG
I think it's supposed to be the condition/value of the property on January 1...but others on here are more knowledgeable...
Nitro Power
AG
I'm curious about this myself. My neighbors house was built in January 21 (moved in August), mine was built in March 21 (moved October), his has land value only, and mine is in the process of being appraised, I.e it shows Thea improvements on HCAD.
RebelE91
AG
Texas A&M said:

I had a neighbor ask me the following question that one of y'all might know. They moved into their house in Montgomery county around June or July of '21 (new construction). Their appraisal was only for the value of the land. Is that a mistake, or will the house just be added next year? Basically, I'm wondering if there's a certain month that is the cutoff for when the house has to be completed for you to be taxed on the full value. We've been in our house for 10+ years, so I don't remember what happened when we built.

January 1 of each year is the cutoff date the appraisal districts use to assess the property. So if there was a vacant lot on January 1, the taxes assessed at the end of year will be based on that lot value. If there is a half-built house on the lot on Jan 1, the taxes assessed at the end of the year will be based on the land value and the value of the half-built house, etc.
Mr.Bond
AG
I use McGibblets as well. Does a great job

This **** overall is still ****in criminal. A 2k sqft house in league ciry. Taxes are bull***** I just paid out the ass on federal taxes yesterday as well
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Sea Speed
AG
I cant even get gcad to load
htxag09
AG
Other than your own records, can you see what your value history is beyond the 5 year (we bought in 2012) and actual taxes paid?

edit: this is for Harris County/HCAD
bedofbrass33
AG
I'm almost scared to post wondering if Brazoria CAD will call me saying they made a mistake but I'm only up 5.5% from 2021 value and I bought in August of last year. So they could technically jack it up 50% or more and I'd have to pay it.

Still worth the time to protest?

Although, I submitted my homestead exemption paperwork late March and they haven't applied that yet.
StillNotAnAggie
Here is something not helping property taxes. This is a snapshot of 77386 where I live. Come in, offer cash over value, artificially inflate house value and then rent forever. There are all small houses but I'm sure this is going on everywhere.
Sea Speed
AG
Progress...you'll own nothing and you'll love it.
GoAgs92
AG
Anyone willing to send sale info for the past 6 mos in firethorne…just need simple one liners with sale date and sale price, sf can't hurt and year built.

dahouse
AG
Good luck. We're in Firethorne and already paid to protest
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
GoAgs92
AG
Found out my neighbors same floor plan sold a couple months ago for $50k less than my market value.

So hopefully my protest is successful.
Nitro Power
AG
If you still need that, my wife and I sold ours out there in September.
94chem
Just got hit with a 55% increase in Galveston County. Second home, so no cap. 16% on my other rental in Kingwood/Harris. Again, no cap.
MAS444
AG
DAMN! That's rough.
Sea Speed
AG
94chem said:

Just got hit with a 55% increase in Galveston County. Second home, so no cap. 16% on my other rental in Kingwood/Harris. Again, no cap.

My now rental went up almost 30%. It was still homesteaded 01jan so I am hoping i can get it knocked down a lot.
94chem
MAS444 said:

DAMN! That's rough.
Yep. I work with O'Connor. Good news: they should be salivating over this one. Bad news: if they lose, I lose. Bad news #2: If they win, I'm gonna be paying them a lot.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I don't have much sympathy for those with 2nd homes.

However this is how rental prices spike and that's when people start to *****.
94chem
AlaskanAg99 said:

It's my business. I rent it out to pay for it. It's no different than any of your investments.
AlaskanAg99
AG
94chem said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

It's my business. I rent it out to pay for it. It's no different than any of your investments.
Right, and that's why rental fees will spike, because your costs went up, and that will be passed onto the renter.
LostInLA07
AG
Just curious where your sympathies lie?
AlaskanAg99
AG
My wallet.
LostInLA07
AG
Fair enough
TXTransplant
I submitted two online protests for properties in 77389.

I got an isettle offer on my home today. I only challenged the market value, but they lowered it to what I asked for (based on a sales comp). Market is now at $425k instead of $454k.

So my market value went up 26% instead of 35%.

I submitted a protest to change both market and appraised for a friend who lives in the same zip. Haven't heard back, yet.
Nitro Power
AG
What happens if I do not receive my property evaluation until close to or after the deadline? Just looked and HCAD value still says pending...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.