Houston
Sponsored by

2022 Property Taxes...

58,975 Views | 517 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AGHouston11
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I understand what you're saying. In the long run the comps do support a higher valuation. Both in 21 and in 22.

Their comps are garbage due to property characteristics which is really driving the 25% increase. I'm just stating the way they have it figured out doesn't make any sense at face value. And the 'math' they use is garbage to support their valuation.

I'll have to reach out to a local realtor that specializes in my area and see if she can't get me some comp data.
Jackal99
AG
I'm realizing that this is certainly not in my wheelhouse. I'm hopping on the McGibblets train right away next year.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Jackal99 said:

I'm realizing that this is certainly not in my wheelhouse. I'm hopping on the McGibblets train right away next year.

evestor1
evestor1 said:

Had a bad interaction at informal today.

I was told that comparable sales would not be accepted b/c all sales comps would be 'non-qualified' Did 3 just for fun and got it down from 920 to 804, but 770 was the number i needed to save money...so going to board meeting.

Mine were all pulled from mls like i have done for years. She told me she would only count them if i had a closing doc for them.

What in the world is a non-qualified comp?

I won at HCAD formal - took primary house from 920k to ... 700k!

I used same [non-qualified comps] that the informal rejected. They actually said they believed 697k, but would be in harmony with 700. haha

Deal with it Government Overlords!
htxag09
AG
McGibblets took mine from a 9+% increase to 1%. I'm happy. Much rather pay him than the government!
SnowboardAg
AG
The ARB was favorable to me this years. HCAD reduced my market value by 13%. I claimed that my home is "economically misimproved" vs it's current designation of "partial" (improvement) - due to a 1991 renovation.

HCAD wouldn't change the designation, but is making a note to send out an appraiser and possibly tag me next year with the new category. It wasn't a strategy tried before by me, but it essentially invalidated all HCADs comparisons and they were able to find a land value sales comp that supported my argument. Probably saved $2500 in taxes today - well worth the effort.
2nd Generation Ag
Who did you work with at McGibblets?
Tormentos
AG
Question - I recently purchased a jubally report, mainly to give me some comps I can zero in to fight my battle. I have already recreated their calculation/adjustments so clearly understand how they get to their conclusion.

One thing I noticed in the Jubally report - all the comps they used in the comp calculation are using the 2022 market value listed on HCADs website. The values on the website for 2022 market value is significantly lower (~36%) than the 2022 market value in the notice letters for these same properties.

Won't HCAD use the notice letters as the current latest appraisal value? I am trying to understand why the Jubally report was not based on the notice values. Ultimately how would I address this at the formal meeting?

Not my property but as an example look at 307 Thicket Ln, 77079. Significant difference between 2022 market value on website (618k) vs 2022 noticed market value (706k). Jubally uses the lower value.

Tormentos
AG
Diggity
AG
Tormentos said:

Question - I recently purchased a jubally report, mainly to give me some comps I can zero in to fight my battle. I have already recreated their calculation/adjustments so clearly understand how they get to their conclusion.

One thing I noticed in the Jubally report - all the comps they used in the comp calculation are using the 2022 market value listed on HCADs website. The values on the website for 2022 market value is significantly lower (~36%) than the 2022 market value in the notice letters for these same properties.

Won't HCAD use the notice letters as the current latest appraisal value? I am trying to understand why the Jubally report was not based on the notice values. Ultimately how would I address this at the formal meeting?

Not my property but as an example look at 307 Thicket Ln, 77079. Significant difference between 2022 market value on website (618k) vs 2022 noticed market value (706k). Jubally uses the lower value.

I've never seen those "value notice" links before, so I didn't know what you were talking about.

From what I can tell, the "value notice" is what HCAD appraised the property at before the protest, and the market values on the main page reflect the value after protest.

I don't know why it would be 36% lower unless you're comparing original market value to adjusted appraised value.

In any case, it's fair game for Jubally to use the adjusted values (I don't think they really have a choice).
AgLA06
AG
Notice letters aren't in affect yet.
The Wonderer
AG
2nd Generation Ag said:

Who did you work with at McGibblets?

McGibblets
AlaskanAg99
AG
Thursday appointment, pretty sure I'm screwed. I can argue their comps somehow incorrect, but I have nothing to show better comps to get a lower value. And nothing will get me down to more than 15% reduction that will then lower the 10% increase in taxes.

Our only real hope is demand destruction and a slowing/lowering of home prices in the last half of this year for next year. So screwed no matter what.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Won't HCAD use the notice letters as the current latest appraisal value?
No, the current latest appraisal value is what's on the website. The property owner may have brought in evidence to HCAD or the board to convince them to lower it from the notice value, but that's irrelevant to your use of it as a comp.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
That is bc the tax code states that you can use the most current value on the tax roll. Each week they(jubally)update their database as HCAD updates the pData files.
Ryan the Temp
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Thursday appointment, pretty sure I'm screwed. I can argue their comps somehow incorrect, but I have nothing to show better comps to get a lower value. And nothing will get me down to more than 15% reduction that will then lower the 10% increase in taxes.

Our only real hope is demand destruction and a slowing/lowering of home prices in the last half of this year for next year. So screwed no matter what.
Don't sweat not having comps like the ones in their evidence. All the comps I had were HCAD's appraisals of other properties on my street I pulled from their website to show the change in my value was inconsistent with the others - and I cherry picked thoe properties to use (just like they do). If you're lucky, some of thoe properties have already gone through their protests and been lowered. These can work in your favor.

That being said, when I had my meeting I didn't even go into details, I just told them my appraisal was inconsistent with the appraisals they gave other properties and spent the rest of the meeting explaining why their comps were bad.
Bert315
AG
The guy in my informal hearing stated that he couldn't lower my appraisal value because my market value was $50k over the appraised. I could get the market down some but no way I could get it down to the appraised even by cherry picking houses unfortunately.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Bert315 said:

The guy in my informal hearing stated that he couldn't lower my appraisal value because my market value was $50k over the appraised. I could get the market down some but no way I could get it down to the appraised even by cherry picking houses unfortunately.
And sometimes that's just the way it goes, but when you whittle down the market value, the percentage they raise it next year is on top of a lower number which helps you in the long-term.
Sazerac
AG
ARB hearing was a joke
"Non partial" lady with thick African accent - very hard to understand over webex - took none of my sales comps or neighbors values into account at all. Just completely sided with the appraiser 100%.

This entire process is so ridiculous and arbitrary.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
Which is exactly why you shouldn't waste any personal time doing it and hire someone else to do the work.
Goodest Poster
AG
Ducks is right- let the pros handle it.

Got a 57k reduction this year! 12 straight years of reductions.
Always the most goodest
AlaskanAg99
AG
Just by arguing their crappy comps, was able to get an 11k reduction. Means absolutely zero in the long run. This year homes are selling for 70k higher than my new market price, so next year I'll get bent again.
AgLA06
AG
Sure it does. Go read up on compounding taxes and saving money just by contesting every year.

RustyBV
AG
What is a good contingency fee company to protest 2023 property taxes? Not looking to do it myself and do not want to pay a base fee.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I believe Mr. McGibblets does property tax protests on a contingency basis.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Crazy Ag 97
AG
RustyBV said:

What is a good contingency fee company to protest 2023 property taxes? Not looking to do it myself and do not want to pay a base fee.

Curious why? I've done it myself for years and been able to keep my value the same for going on 5 years now (live in the heights). It's really not that hard, takes about an hour to prepare then an hour to go protest. I'm willing to spend 2 hours of life to not pay someone half of what I save in taxes. Last year, they tried to raise my market value 29% and I got them to leave it the same as the previous year. No one you pay will ever care about your finances as much as you do.
Whoop Delecto
AG
AGHouston11
AG
Whoop Delecto said:

What's Lina saying …… because what she says is what's going to happen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.