Houston
Sponsored by

2022 Property Taxes...

58,496 Views | 517 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AGHouston11
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Get ready folks. I just received this email from my property tax company, Century Property Consultants:

Quote:

FYI Fort Bend County Central Appraisal District's 2022 property valuations are up in many areas by more than 30 - 40%. Even in older communities and subdivisions, the values are up by 15-25%.

If you know where and how to look, you can find the new 2022 appraised values of your properties by going to the Fort Bend CAD website and doing an advanced search.

Look up your subdivision name and choose that option. Make sure Tax Year 2022 is selected. On the next screen, choose "Download Results" and download all of the subdivision records. In that file, you can find your individual record and see the results.

Here are some sample results from around Fort Bend County:

Creek Trace at Cross Creek Ranch - Section 1, avg. increase of 30.2%

Cinco Ranch North Lake Village - Section 4, avg. increase of 32.5%

Grand Mission - Section 3, avg. increase of 38.6%

McCrary Meadows - Sections 1-5, avg. increase of 41.2% New Territory - Parcel C-6 thru C-9, avg increase of 32.2% Bonbrook Plantation North - Section 2, avg. increase of 30.7% Settlers Park - Section 1, avg. increase of 19.0%

Sugar Creek - Section 1, avg. increase of 14.9%

Riverstone North - Section 1, avg. increase of 37.2%

Sienna Plantation Steep Bank Village - Section 1, avg. increase of 27.6%

Mission Bend San Miguel - Section 1, avg. increase of 37.5%

Vicksburg Village of Cumberland - avg. increase of 20.1%

Quail Valley ElDorado - avg. increase of 12.5%

Covington Woods - avg. increase of 24.3%

Fresno Gardens - avg. increase of 40.6%

Teal Landing (Needville) - Section 1, avg. increase of 11.2%

Greatwood Knoll - Section 1, avg. increase of 23.6%

Meadows Place - Section 1, avg. increase of 21.1%

Sincerely,
Century Property Consultants
PH:+1(713)270-5953
FAX: +1(713)270-6326
www.cprotax.com

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Aggie71013
AG
Video on the homepage of HCAD is preparing Harris County for the same thing. 88% of residential properties are receiving at least at 10% increase. Average closer to 20%.
MAS444
AG
Got my new hcad value notice for my commercial property today and it jumped significantly for the first time.
Foamcows
AG
10% increase this year in 77007. Last year was a decrease.
Al Bula
AG
More Dim playbook action going on here: jacking up the tax rate so ownership creeps toward unaffordable.

The future will be complete gov-sponsored takeover of your property by "investment" firms.

The good news is you WILL be allowed to pay to live somewhere really sh tty in crime-riddled areas in sub-standard housing if your social credit score allows it.
gougler08
AG
Can't it only go up 10% with homestead exemption?
TXTransplant
Lots of properties without an exemption, and HE doesn't take effect until you've lived in the house for one full calendar year. All of those people who purchased homes at ridiculous prices in 2021 are fresh meat for the CAD in 2022.
Cromagnum
AG
TXTransplant said:

Lots of properties without an exemption, and HE doesn't take effect until you've lived in the house for one full calendar year. All of those people who purchased homes at ridiculous prices in 2021 are fresh meat for the CAD in 2022.

For all the new homies.

LostInLA07
AG
I'm sure all the taxing authorities will be able to drop their rate now, right?
gougler08
AG
TXTransplant said:

Good point, people going to get raked over the coals
Sea Speed
AG
Galveston always lagging behind
Sea Speed
AG
Also, property taxes are evil.
Aggie71013
AG
They'll have to with the cap on revenue of 3.5%. I believe it is 8% if a disaster was declared, but with 20% increase across the board in values they will be forced to drop rates.

Up 18% for me.
TXTransplant
gougler08 said:

TXTransplant said:

Good point, people going to get raked over the coals

This discussion made me wonder how many people are significantly under-escrowed. I know mortgage companies try to account for tax increases, but we've had significant value increases across the board. It has to be affecting more properties than in a typical year.
Sea Speed
AG
Mine went up a ton because insurance cost rises due to last February's freeze
K Bo
AG
Wife and I bought our house off market in May '21. 2022 appraised value up 10% but 13% below our purchase price. I'm in the "always protest" camp but think I might take what feels like a small W here.
TXTransplant
I protested multiple times over the last 10 years and always got some relief. I was at $337k after protesting last year. Nothing on my street had sold in over 2 years, and that worked in my favor. Since last summer, I think 4 have sold. The cheapest went for $425k.

Just checked. My new value is $370,739 (market is $454k). Full 10% increase. HCAD must have pushed out a bunch this morning because that number wasn't on my account last night.

Edit: 77389
MAS444
AG
They jacked our home up almost 25% in 77009!!!
Sea Speed
AG
You And I both about to get hammered due to the new to us rental properties.
MAS444
AG
Actually our new rental only went up about 5%. Glad it was the primary that went up most out of the 2 because of the cap (EDIT - actually, that's not true at all since the primary residence is worth so much more. Dammit! Screwed either way) . But we're gonna be paying an outrageous amount of property taxes.
TXTransplant
K Bo said:

Wife and I bought our house off market in May '21. 2022 appraised value up 10% but 13% below our purchase price. I'm in the "always protest" camp but think I might take what feels like a small W here.

How does your market value compare to the assessed value and your purchase price? You can protest just that value, since it also provides a limit on how much they can increase your assessed value in any given year. Thinking about the sales on my street, I think I'm going to protest my market value.
jh0400
AG
Appraised value up 10% in 77096. Market value up 23%.
MAS444
AG
ALWAYS protest. Absent exigent circumstances, they'll never increase the value.
Sea Speed
AG
I feel like putting signs up all over the neighborhood that say REMEMBER TO PROTEST YOUR PROPERTY TAXES
agnatgas
AG
16% in Rummel Creek (Memorial Plaza)
LostInLA07
AG
+39%

On the bright side, they still haven't figured out we have second floor square footage
cajunaggie08
AG
Sea Speed said:

Ah, you must be a fan of state income taxes then
htxag09
AG
Up 8.6% in 77007.....

Which honestly was about what we could have sold for at the end of last year. But it's been crazy since then, attached neighbor (same house) sold 3 months ago for about 5% over what our new appraised value is. Neighbor on the other side of me just listed their house for 20% over our new appraised value and it was pending in two days....
htxag09
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Sea Speed said:

Obviously it would depend on the rate, and you'd still have property taxes. But, if "reasonable", yes. i.e. If Texas did away with our high property taxes and implemented a state sales income tax and I had about the same tax liability either way, I'd be for the income tax.
Sea Speed
AG
I dont think this thread is necessarily about that, but certainly there is a better way than what we have. People are going to start losing their homes with the valuation creep we have been seeing and that has apparently accelerated. Id honestly prefer a small income tax because my income is going to stay pretty steady and I can plan for it, with this I have some county chud deciding my home is worth however much more than I paid for it and decides to steal more of my money accordingly. Never being able to own your property is not a good system.
cajunaggie08
AG
htxag09 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Sea Speed said:

Obviously it would depend on the rate, and you'd still have property taxes. But, if "reasonable", yes. i.e. If Texas did away with our high property taxes and implemented a state sales tax and I had about the same tax liability either way, I'd be for the income tax.
We already have a state sales tax of 6.25%. Houston (and most other metros) slaps on an additional 2%.If Texas were to switch from a property tax to an income tax model they would probably need to tax at roughly 5-6% to bring in the same amount of cash.
htxag09
AG
sorry, income tax
cajunaggie08
AG
Sea Speed said:

I dont think this thread is necessarily about that, but certainly there is a better way than what we have. People are going to start losing their homes with the valuation creep we have been seeing and that has apparently accelerated. Id honestly prefer a small income tax because my income is going to stay pretty steady and I can plan for it, with this I have some county chud deciding my home is worth however much more than I paid for it and decides to steal more of my money accordingly. Never being able to own your property is not a good system.
I actually agree. While we are all "gaining value" in our homes, That isnt something that is realized until you sell and I'm sure the vast majority of people arent looking to sell soon. We are all getting taxed on something that we have no tangible control over and for some it might push them out of their existing home by adding on 10% increases every year. The Austin metro has been going through this for over a decade now. Then we all waste time and money by fighting the evaluation just to wind up saving maybe $250 on the tax bill and we repeat the process every spring.
htxag09
AG
Not to mention other variables like still having a $1k/month tax bill when you're retired and "own" your home.

Or like me during COVID and being unemployed for 6ish months, still have that property tax bill at the end of the year....
MAS444
AG
Yeah - all reasons why I don't plan on staying here too long after our kids are out of the house.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.