Houston
Sponsored by

Best Steakhouse for Anniversary

27,311 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXAG 05
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTm2004 said:

You should have said something if the steak wasn't good or cooked right. They take that kind of stuff very seriously.

My wife and I were at Capital Grille and they got our steaks cooked backwards. Her filet was cooked medium rare and my ribeye was cooked medium. When the waiter came by to ask how our steaks were, I mentioned they were good but the doneness was backwards. He looked shocked, and they came and took all of the food off of our table...sides as well. The manager came over and apologized profusely while comping a bottle of house wine to have because of their mistake. We kept telling him it was OK and they didn't have to do anything, but he insisted a mistake like that wasn't acceptable.

They brought out new steaks, sides, etc, and the manager was there to make sure they were cooked to our liking, and they were. When we got the bill, they even comped the dessert.

It was a minor mistake, but they went above and beyond what I ever would have imagined or expected, and we left very impressed by the seriousness they have for the little things. Honestly, my steak was fine but a little over cooked for my liking, but the 2nd was perfect.
glad you stick up for yourself now after ruining too many banana republic shirts in the past
Daddy-O5
AG
Sea Speed said:

Pretty sure Heartbreakers has free steaks one night a week.
That wasn't steak, that was roast beef.
aTm2004
AG
sts7049 said:

aTm2004 said:

You should have said something if the steak wasn't good or cooked right. They take that kind of stuff very seriously.

My wife and I were at Capital Grille and they got our steaks cooked backwards. Her filet was cooked medium rare and my ribeye was cooked medium. When the waiter came by to ask how our steaks were, I mentioned they were good but the doneness was backwards. He looked shocked, and they came and took all of the food off of our table...sides as well. The manager came over and apologized profusely while comping a bottle of house wine to have because of their mistake. We kept telling him it was OK and they didn't have to do anything, but he insisted a mistake like that wasn't acceptable.

They brought out new steaks, sides, etc, and the manager was there to make sure they were cooked to our liking, and they were. When we got the bill, they even comped the dessert.

It was a minor mistake, but they went above and beyond what I ever would have imagined or expected, and we left very impressed by the seriousness they have for the little things. Honestly, my steak was fine but a little over cooked for my liking, but the 2nd was perfect.
glad you stick up for yourself now after ruining too many banana republic shirts in the past
I didn't ruin it. *******s like you who throw drinks across a bar ruined it. I stuck up for myself then as well. It was the lippy ass betch on his arm that talked chit after the fact, not the dude who actually threw it. But hey, you know what's it's like to talk tough in hopes people ignore it.
HtownAg92
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

Sea Speed said:

Pretty sure Heartbreakers has free steaks one night a week.
That wasn't steak, that was roast beef.
Could have been tuna steak.

They get an A+ for presentation, lining up the beef slices vertically for display.
maroon barchetta
aTm2004 said:

sts7049 said:

aTm2004 said:

I didn't ruin it. *******s like you who throw drinks across a bar ruined it. I stuck up for myself then as well. It was the lippy ass betch on his arm that talked chit after the fact, not the dude who actually threw it. But hey, you know what's it's like to talk tough in hopes people ignore it.

Is this the same story where they guy got arrested for smashing a drink thrower's head into a bar rail or am I thinking of another poster?
malenurse
AG
SockDePot said:

2nd for Georgia James.

Not sure if you can do it with only 2 ppl, and it's costs some $, but the baller board is basically one of everything on the menu, they say they size it for the table. Can't get pic to upload from deer blind, will try later

I would suggest taking an Uber there, parking is non existent.

Never been disappointed with a meal there.

Del friscos used to be our go to, but it's slipped in the last few years, but good for big groups. Probably best wine list in town

Pappas steakhouse also used to be up there, old established feel to it, guy playing piano in the bar, etc. haven't gone as much since we discovered Georgia James.

Haven't tried the palm since they moved downtown, but heard good things.

I'm sure it will come up, but I stay away from B&B butchers. Pretty cool environment, good food, but they really took advantage of me with a big group few years ago.
Bump - When you visited Georgia James, was it the old location or the temporary one. I know they are going to move again in the near future. Curious about the parking.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

Bump - When you visited Georgia James, was it the old location or the temporary one.
Since the temporary location does not open until this weekend, I am going to guess it was the old location.
MROD92
rak1693 said:

My wife grew up going to that Lutheran church in Denhawken

Know the exact location. I'm sorry I don't have stars so we can DM
MRod92
jellycheese
AG
Wife and I love Georgia James. Went for the first time for our anniversary in 2019. One of the best meals and best service either of us have ever had.

Looking forward to the opening of the new spot.
David_Puddy
AG
Vic & Anthonys was the answer you were looking for
AustinCountyAg
I've currently got a reservation at Killens STQ weekend of valentines day. I was wondering if any posters here want to open up their backyards and cook for us instead for half the price? I know everyone has mastered the steak, but I do enjoy a good au gratin potatoes. Thats my only concern.
inconvenient truth
AustinCountyAg said:

I've currently got a reservation at Killens STQ weekend of valentines day. I was wondering if any posters here want to open up their backyards and cook for us instead for half the price? I know everyone has mastered the steak, but I do enjoy a good au gratin potatoes. Thats my only concern.

Stick with the sizzler in Austin county. I think even Killens might be a little too cultured for you.
AustinCountyAg
not sure what the sizzler is, but all the times past Killens has yet to condemn me for wearing boots and wranglers. We will stick with them. That pork belly is some good *****
maroon barchetta
Asks for a steak house

Orders pork belly.
AustinCountyAg
maroon barchetta said:

Asks for a steak house

Orders pork belly.
yes that pork belly app is one reason we enjoy Killens. IYKYK
rak1693
AG
Well we had dinner at B&B Friday night. We ordered Bacon 3 Ways and the Crab Cake for appetizers. We ordered Broccoli and Bacon Mac for the sides. For our steaks, she ordered the Wagyu Filet and I ordered the Wagyu Ribeye just to do something different. That was a huge mistake. I can absolutely say I've made way better steaks in my backyard. My ribeye had virtually no marbling (Wagyu is supposed to have more right?). We both ordered the steaks medium rare and they were cooked right. The steaks were just bad. I may eventually return but it'll be a while and next time I'll give their USDA Prime a chance. I think that's where I went wrong but I just wanted to try it. Outside of the steaks, everything else was great. The bacon was definitely my favorite. Her and I left after a $500 meal wishing we had went to Georgia James or Pappas.
TXAG 05
AG
I got that Waygu ribeye there one time too and was disappointed by it as well, wasnt bad, but it wasn't that good either.
GAC06
AG
Hard to take a steakhouse seriously that's grilling wagyu
rak1693
AG
TXAG 05 said:

I got that Waygu ribeye there one time too and was disappointed by it as well, wasnt bad, but it wasn't that good either.

That's kind of what I mean as well
Coog97
GAC06 said:

Out of genuine curiosity, why?
htxag09
AG
rak1693 said:

TXAG 05 said:

That's kind of what I mean as well

When you're paying $150 for a steak, if it isn't great, it's bad.
GAC06
AG
Coog97 said:

GAC06 said:

Wagyu should be relatively thin, rare, and seared well. Grilling is always an inferior method for steak but especially that one
Jett01
AG
Perhaps I don't know good steak, but I went to B&B last Saturday and got the Waygu filet and it was amazing
Coog97
GAC06 said:

Coog97 said:

GAC06 said:

Wagyu should be relatively thin, rare, and seared well. Grilling is always an inferior method for steak but especially that one

So more appropriate on a flattop? Thanks for the insight.
BBRex
AG
Probably in a cast iron pan.

I had the waygu ribeye the time I went to B&B, and I was disappointed, too. The rest of the meal was great. I'll probably go back at some point, but I'm really not in a rush.
Jaydoug
AG
Maybe you should try Sizzler next time
Panama Red
AG
Odd that the "steak expert rancher" would select the American Wagyu filet when there are Prime graded steaks on the menu.
BrazosDog02
AG
Wow! What a sweet thread! 7 pages later I have a different take.

We too operate a ranch. I consider myself pretty damn good at a lot of things, cooking being one of them, and beef being a particular line item I'm picky about.

You know we do? Nothing. We already know that there is a decent chance were going to be disappointed in a steak or burger. So why sweat and worry the whole time about finding The perfect place knowing your going to mostly waste you're money as you'll be mad?

At least getting a burger at Becks Prime won't set you back much so you can be basically happy about what it is when you go in.

As an aside Lynn's and brenners were always great for us 10 years ago. Set the expectation. Enjoy the meal, enjoy the company, and don't be a snotty doozhbag.
Valtrex11
If you are not going to Steak 48 and posting about it on IG you know nothing about fine steak dining.
cajunaggie08
AG
Panama Red said:

Odd that the "steak expert rancher" would select the American Wagyu filet when there are Prime graded steaks on the menu.
Maybe I'm missing something here but a Wagyu filet sounds like an oxymoron. You have a breed of cow known for its marbling and then you have the filet which is a cut people select because of how little fat it has. Does a Wagyu filet have more fat in it than the standard filet? If not, then why get it?

I've gotten the Wagyu Ribeye at B&B before and it was one of the best steaks I've ever had
swimmerbabe11
I totally get that thought process.

I often plan on going and getting a steak but end to getting something more interesting on the menu that I feel like I couldnt get anywhere else.

know thyself!

also, if you go to b&b and don't get the carpetbaggers, you are doing it all wrong.
rak1693
AG
It was my personal understanding that Wagyu ribeyes and filets had more marbling than their USDA Prime counterparts. We ordered the Wagyu just to try something different as we had not had Wagyu from a steakhouse before. Like I said, we'll stick to USDA Prime from now on.

Last year at a steakhouse in Calgary I ordered a grass fed ribeye just for the sake of trying something new then too. I'll never do that again either.
Jock 07
AG
With so much beef knowledge why would you ever order anything grass fed?
I Am A Critic
If you're going to B&B and ordering anything Wagyu other than the katsu sandos, you're doing it wrong.
Username checks out.
cajunaggie08
AG
I totally get wanting to try something different. Its what I usually do at restaurants. I haven't ordered a filet in years as I prefer fattier cuts, so I can see the allure of trying a fillet with some marbling in it. I also can see how it would be disappointing as you now have a filet that has some fat in it which changes the character of the cut that people expect with a filet. And to top it off its a thick cut which can make it hard to render the fat that is there so now you have a very expensive steak that doesn't accomplish anything great. Granted its easy to monday morning qb your order. Hopefully yall still had a great night out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.