Houston
Sponsored by

Best Steakhouse for Anniversary

27,055 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXAG 05
rak1693
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I would prefer to go to a steakhouse that neither of us have been to just to try something new. I've been to Taste of Texas, Pappa's Bros, Brenner's, Steak 48, and a few others. I haven't been to Mastro's, B&B, Killen's, or Turner's (if that's considered a steakhouse). I'm leaning towards B&B but I'd like other opinions.

Disclaimer: me wife's family has been in the cattle ranching business a long time so she's picky on her steak. She knows all about the marbling, muscle content, and the cuts. All of that to say the steak needs to be high quality and the chef needs to know what he's doing.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So you're married to female Ron Swanson?

ATM9000
AG
Didn't even list what I think is the best one in Houston. Georgia James.

Taste of Texas and Brenners is a cut below the others you've mentioned. Bottom line is as long as you are going to a place that serves USDA Prime Steak, then you probably aren't going to go wrong so just look at the menus and decide which is the most interesting to you and there you go,
rak1693
AG
ATM9000 said:

Didn't even list what I think is the best one in Houston. Georgia James.
Then I'll consider that one too. I'm not familiar with it as I do not live in town.
SockDePot
2nd for Georgia James.

Not sure if you can do it with only 2 ppl, and it's costs some $, but the baller board is basically one of everything on the menu, they say they size it for the table. Can't get pic to upload from deer blind, will try later

I would suggest taking an Uber there, parking is non existent.

Never been disappointed with a meal there.

Del friscos used to be our go to, but it's slipped in the last few years, but good for big groups. Probably best wine list in town

Pappas steakhouse also used to be up there, old established feel to it, guy playing piano in the bar, etc. haven't gone as much since we discovered Georgia James.

Haven't tried the palm since they moved downtown, but heard good things.

I'm sure it will come up, but I stay away from B&B butchers. Pretty cool environment, good food, but they really took advantage of me with a big group few years ago.
Chewy
AG
While not the most lavish environment I think Killens STQ is the most underrated steak place in Houston. Especially if you like smoke with your meats.

I won't say it's the greatest but I like it because it's different than all the other steak places that are just some variation of one another.

I'm skewed though because I make the best steak in Houston in my backyard.
CowtownAg06
AG
How have we made it this far without anyone inviting them to their backyard?

B&B or Georgia James for what you described.
jh0400
AG
For two I'd go with B&B. Georgia James is also good, but it's better when you have a group so you can get the baller board as mentioned above.

Ragoo
AG
Dario's in cypress
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Just give her the tube steak
ChipFTAC01
AG
Another vote for b&b. Is Georgia James closing when hay merchant does?
BMX Bandit
Yes. Moving to one fifth spot until the new building at Allen parkway/west Dallas complex ready
Irish 2.0
Outback or Saltgrass. Extra ketchup
Dallas Police Department is full of crooked cops that lied about Mrs. Angela West and tried to destroy her name and reputation
Jock 07
AG
Texas Roadhouse, you even get free peanuts.
Ghost91
SockDePot said:

I'm sure it will come up, but I stay away from B&B butchers. Pretty cool environment, good food, but they really took advantage of me with a big group few years ago.

I wanna hear this story.
Jack Cheese
AG
Ragoo said:

Dario's in cypress

Dario's is good but you can't escape the strip center factor.
schmellba99
AG
Killen's in Pearland is legit
thenational
AG
Doris Metropolitan is great. Some serious meat going on there. Amazing presentation. The bread is unbelievable.
RK
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Ragoo said:

Dario's in cypress

Hey, there's nothing wrong with dining next to a table of old fat guys in shorts and fishing shirts. Cypress-chic.
htxag09
AG
B&B and pappa brothers are light years ahead of Georgia James. I haven't been to the dedicated full time Georgia James, but when it was 1/5 it was a huge let down. And a quick google of the menu shows that's probably still the case.

For example, at pappas their 14 oz dry aged (in house) ny strip is $57. At Georgia James, a wet aged strip is $95. When we went we ordered a porterhouse and it was also cooked completely uneven with the filet being rare and the strip being medium well. Pretty sure Chris shepherd just adds $50 to every menu item for his name and because his can.

Pappas is the benchmark in houston, imo.

Eta: someone above mentioned Doris metropolitan. It's also really good for a different type of steakhouse.
bevokilla
AG
I haven't been to Georgia James as a stand alone, but Vic and Anthony's is better than Pappas or most of the others mentioned.
rak1693
AG
All good suggestions so thank you. I frequent Houston area a lot to visit my parents and I grew up there in SL but I hadn't heard the latest on the great steakhouses today. My wife just said she wanted to spend the weekend in town instead of the suburbs like we normally do.
Cromagnum
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

I had a gift card someone gave me to Saltgrass and got their filet. One of the worst steaks I've had in my life. Tasted like it was left in a Sous Vide way too long and absolutely no seasoning of any kind.
Irish 2.0
Cromagnum said:

Irish 2.0 said:

I had a gift card someone gave me to Saltgrass and got their filet. One of the worst steaks I've had in my life. Tasted like it was left in a Sous Vide way too long and absolutely no seasoning of any kind.

Because you forgot the ketchup!!
Dallas Police Department is full of crooked cops that lied about Mrs. Angela West and tried to destroy her name and reputation
Chewy
AG
Cromagnum said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Care to share expectations because I think I speak for many that we're curious.
jetch17
AG
Steak & Ale
fka ftc
There was rumor of a comeback with first location in Cancun. Not sure if it happened.

Unmistakably. Steak & Ale!

GoAgs92
AG
Nothing better to get her in the mood than the meat sweats.
Jack Cheese
AG
RK said:

Jack Cheese said:

Ragoo said:

Dario's in cypress

Hey, there's nothing wrong with dining next to a table of old fat guys in shorts and fishing shirts. Cypress-chic.

Hey, I'm one of those old fat guys
Valtrex11
My backyard
TXAG 05
AG
schmellba99 said:

Killen's in Pearland is legit

But it's out in the middle of nowhere.

Del Friscos is our go to, Ruth's Chris is pretty solid too.
SockDePot
Ghost91 said:

SockDePot said:

I wanna hear this story.

I'll just leave it at almost got to 6 figures.
Irish 2.0
SockDePot said:

Ghost91 said:

SockDePot said:

I wanna hear this story.

You can't just leave it at that when you've got a tab approaching $100k. B&B has a pretty big brand in the Houston area and if they legit ****ed someone out of almost six figures, I'd be curious to know more and take my occasional $500 steak night elsewhere.
SockDePot
Irish 2.0 said:

SockDePot said:

Ghost91 said:

SockDePot said:

I wanna hear this story.

You can't just leave it at that when you've got a tab approaching $100k. B&B has a pretty big brand in the Houston area and if they legit ****ed someone out of almost six figures, I'd be curious to know more and take my occasional $500 steak night elsewhere.

I'm not saying legit f-ed, everything that was charged was "ordered". I've probably already said too much, not looking to start a bunch of bad press.

The service and food were great.
jh0400
AG
How was the DRC? The only way I see that a tab gets that high is if you start ordering five figure wines.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.