Houston
Sponsored by

Dora Calling for CFISD Board Member to Resign

11,325 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because he didnt like some DEI presentation BS metrics and said as much. Oh, and said he didnt want to be like HISD.

Here is the Chron's Headline:

Quote:

Cy-Fair ISD school board member blames Black teachers for HISD student drop-out rates

Here is what he said:

Quote:

"Cy-Fair has, what, 13 percent Black teachers?" Henry asked. "Do you know what the state-wide average is for Black teachers? Ten percent. I looked it up. The state-wide average for Black teachers is 10 percent."

"Houston ISD, which I used as one exampledo you know what the average number, percentage, of Black teachers is? Thirty-six percent," Henry said. "I looked that up. You know what their drop-out rate is? Four percent."
Henry continued to deride the study and proclaim his fears of Cy-Fair ISD becoming more like the "shiny examples" of more diverse districts named in the presentation.
"I don't want to be at four percent," Henry continued. "I don't want to be HISD...I want to be a shining example. I want to be the district standard. I want to be the placethe premium placewhere people go to be."

Of course Dora and her merry band of morons are completely twisting what he said and are trying to use it against him. I am hoping that he stands firm and doesnt bend the knee to these idiots.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/Cy-Fair-ISD-Scott-Henry-Black-teachers-racist-16770264.php
P.H. Dexippus
AG
She's getting further out of her lane. Cant wait for her to go down.
Sea Speed
AG
her using the "as a product of CFISD..." line is like those old women at junior colleges who go to school as 50 somethings and start every answer to the professor with "as a mother of 3 kids..."
RebelE91
AG
I thought Dora graduated from Seven Lakes HS in Katy ISD
Diggity
AG
no kidding. how much did that idiot bounce around?
Diggity
AG
in any case, looking at the video, his comments were pretty freaking stupid. Not sure if there is some context missing there but how he wouldn't expect blowback is beyond me.
Sea Speed
AG
He is simply saying that CFISD already has a greater percentage than the statewide average and increasing the percentage of black teachers for the sake of diversity isnt going to magically make the school district better. He points to HISD as having more black teachers but has a poor dropout rate, showing that increasing black teachers doesnt necessarily make somewhere better, but he is also not saying that it is why their drop out rate is what it is. He wants to be the best school district possible and not diverse for the sake of being diverse. At least this is my interpretation of the whole thing.

I can understand how people will twist it because of the poorly formed argument, but this is simply the left looking for any opportunity to twist words to get one of those mean ole conservatives (assuming he is one)

Ag06Law
AG
Diggity said:

I would guess she bounces around a fair amount
Sea Speed
AG
Ag06Law said:

Diggity said:

I would guess she bounces around a fair amount
well i guess we could all head over to the marathon and see for ourselves
Diggity
AG
Sea Speed said:

He is simply saying that CFISD already has a greater percentage than the statewide average and increasing the percentage of black teachers for the sake of diversity isnt going to magically make the school district better. He points to HISD as having more black teachers but has a poor dropout rate, showing that increasing black teachers doesnt necessarily make somewhere better, but he is also not saying that it is why their drop out rate is what it is. He wants to be the best school district possible and not diverse for the sake of being diverse. At least this is my interpretation of the whole thing.

I can understand how people will twist it because of the poorly formed argument, but this is simply the left looking for any opportunity to twist words to get one of those mean ole conservatives (assuming he is one)

right...I don't disagree with the argument that HISD having a higher % of minority teachers hasn't equated to better performance. He could have just said that instead of flipping it around and implying that the reason for the higher dropout rate was minority teachers.
Sea Speed
AG
i would assume he used HISD and their dropout rate and percentage of black teachers was because the company that was doing the presentation was starry eyed over HISD, at least that is what i took away from the scant info in the article. The only reason this made it anywhere is because it is a chance to bash someone seen as an adversary.
tylercsbn9
AG
They're just looking for anything to ***** about since the three incoming winners of the school board are basically conservatives.
Cromagnum
AG
My company gives a "diversity score" for a team composition, and oddly enough it rates 100% if the team is a combination of women / minorities. You would think having a representative population of white males in the mix would be required for the team to be considered diverse, but no. The answer is always to hire more minorities and women, regardless of the percentage of population they make up.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Sea Speed said:

i would assume he used HISD and their dropout rate and percentage of black teachers was because the company that was doing the presentation was starry eyed over HISD, at least that is what i took away from the scant info in the article. The only reason this made it anywhere is because it is a chance to bash someone seen as an adversary.

That, and/or the DEI proponents were making the argument that black kids learn better from black teachers, and if you want to have a successful academic environment, the faculty has to be "more inclusive". It wouldn't be the first time that line of thinking has been advanced.
Ag_07
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

She's getting further out of her lane. Cant wait for her to go down.

She's going nowhere but up if the Dems have anything to say about it.

Sad but true.

Just gotta hope it's nowhere near here.
AMW2010
AG
Can she resign too? Pot callin the kettle
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
He directly tied a higher black teacher % and undesirable drop out rates together. You don't have to twist anything he said to get there.
Gap
AG
schmendeler said:

He directly tied a A) higher black teacher % and B) undesirable drop out rates together. You don't have to twist anything he said to get there.
Saying B is not related to a higher or lower A. He said a higher A isn't necessarily going to change B (and gave HISD as an example).

Are we not adult enough to be able to discuss whether or not that is true without delving into the democrat us vs them electoral playbook?
cajunaggie08
AG
I get the point that the board member was going for, but the way he presented his argument was horrible. By saying HISD has a lot of black teachers and then following that up with saying they have a high dropout rate is a very very bad look. I don't believe he meant to say more black teachers equals worse school performance, but he is out right is awful at presenting an argument.
cajunaggie08
AG
Apparently her family lived by Cy-Falls when they first came to the US before moving to Katy.
BBRex
AG
schmendeler said:

He directly tied a higher black teacher % and undesirable drop out rates together. You don't have to twist anything he said to get there.
He was pointing out how the company they contracted to do the study was manipulating the results of the data. I don't think educators, as a whole, are good at working with data or drawing inferences from the results. I wouldn't be surprised if the company presented simple percentages of dropout rates by race and the percent by race of teachers in classrooms and pointed to hiring more teachers of a certain race to fix the problem. As Mr. AGSPRT04 pointed out, that's not a new concept in education.

The board member was right to point out that there is data available that questions whether that approach is effective. Instead of calling him a racist, they would have been better served to look more closely at the data he's using. Are black teachers being put into schools that already have high dropout rates? That could be a reason their numbers are higher. And maybe there are other confounding factors. But at least look at all the relevant data before making a decision and spending millions of dollars going down a road that might not lead to success.
Sea Speed
AG
What does this dumb broad think he can be sued for? Oh and as I said, they would love to ruin anything and everything about this man. If his life isn't left in complete shambles after this they will never be happy.

jetch17
AG
the news was trotting this pretty hard last night, including statement from Sly 'cheeeeel' Turner calling for his resignation. and the Houston Democratic committee chair hemming and hawwing.
Texaggie7nine
Need context. Would have to see what he was saying before or what he was responding to.
7nine
jetch17
AG
Demanding Liz
BohunkAg
AG
If they shut down Twitter and Facebook tomorrow, it would improve the United States overnight.
drumboy
AG
What would happen to yall if you publicly said something like this at work? Pretty sure I'd get fired.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Cynic
Texaggie7nine said:

Need context. Would have to see what he was saying before or what he was responding to.

Where's the fun in that? He's obviously a horrible person who needs to be cancelled IMMEDIATELY! Context be damned.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
All the libs are lying about this right now. Moron Gene Wu is pissing and moaning, as is his horrible "journalist" wife, Miya Shay.
RK
AG
or, he's saying that having more teachers of a particular race does not, in itself, produce better results.

seems like the more accurate representation of his intent.
cajunaggie08
AG
no, thats the argument that the board member was trying to make but stumbled over his own words and botched the delivery.

Valtrex11 is implying that the board member didn't make a mistake and said exactly what "we all privately think", that having a school comprised of minority teachers leads to bad performing schools
themissinglink
AG
The full board meeting for context. His full response starts at about 49 minutes.

htxag09
AG
Again, there can be middle ground. Dora can be an idiot and out of her lane as well as blowing this up way more than it should be, but he can also be an idiot for making those comments. If you read or listen to his whole interview and don't expect blow back, not sure what to tell you. Nobody is inferring anything, he seemingly directly correlated having more black teachers to having a higher drop out rate.
Texaggie7nine
cajunaggie08 said:

no, thats the argument that the board member was trying to make but stumbled over his own words and botched the delivery.

Valtrex11 is implying that the board member didn't make a mistake and said exactly what "we all privately think", that having a school comprised of minority teachers leads to bad performing schools
Dunno if Valtrex is one of the slippery alt-right accounts that keep popping up on TA who want to believe more people share their opinion that "race is real" and that the less "white" a place gets the worse off it gets because of it.

Having watched the full speech the guy gave from that video, I can see where he probably meant what was said above, that there is no evidence that simply increasing the amount of "black" teachers will improve results, but I can also say he framed it very poorly and it isn't that difficult to think he's saying that BECAUSE HISD has more "black" teachers it is not as successful. I don't think that is what he meant though.
7nine
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.