Houston
Sponsored by

Dora Calling for CFISD Board Member to Resign

11,324 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

cajunaggie08 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

schmendeler said:

Whoops

The fact that outcomes like this (and posters like schmendeler gleefully reposting it) exist makes me hate our current culture so much.
aww cmon, i wouldnt say his sharing of the news was gleeful. That may be how you interpreted it.

Why do you hate people being held accountable for what they say and do? Is it because you're afraid you may be held accountable one day?

Seriously???

The fact that this is your response tells me you're a part of the problem. What did he need to be held accountable for? If you would have said "I can understand his argument but he did a poor job of articulating it" we would absolutely agree. Like adults can do. However, a man losing his job to cancel culture (after the narrative was purposefully completely twisted) is gross. If you can't understand then we really don't have anything to discuss.

Also...schmendeler's posting history speaks for itself so you can spare me in regards to that specific poster.
I believe I have said it before that I understand the argument he was trying to make. I also understand that is not what he wound up saying. Accident or not, he was on record as a public official. He is also in a customer-centric job seeing how he works in sales. I don't know how any company would expect to keep him on-board after that botched delivery and the negative publicity that followed. Perhaps his employer could have kept him on board tried to let it blow over. Perhaps he wasn't valued enough to try. Or it just is a case of his values not lining up with his bosses' values. Whether we like it or not, we are a rep of our employer pretty much 24/7.

You left out the part where people with a narrative distorted what he said to fit a preconceived agenda then attacked him with it. The fact that he got fired in the private sector is cancel culture in a nutshell. People who are either too biased, or not smart enough to understand nuance or logic attacked him for what they perceived or rather, wanted to perceive. The fact that you continuously defend that behavior (and conveniently omit large parts of the story when defending that behavior), and even went so far earlier as to make a veiled threat towards me tells me you are a proponent of our current cultural rot. It's gross.
People get fired in the private sector all the time for being a dumb ass. Cancel culture is when you get fired for something you said when you were a teen or someone makes an allegation against you that isn't proven. His comments were on public record.

"Do you know what the statewide average for Black teachers is? Ten percent. I looked it up. Houston ISD, which y'all used as a shining example, you know what their average number of percentages for Black teachers is? Thirty-six percent. I looked that up. You know what their drop-out rate is? Four percent. I don't want to be four percent. I don't want to be HISD. I want to be a shining example, I want to be the district standard. I want to be the premium place where people go to be."

I have no clue what you do for work, but if you think you can say those precise words and have them re-broadcasted all of local and national news sites and not hear back from your HR department, I would be shocked.

And if you took what I said as a veiled threat, then that's on you for the guilty conscience
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I have a hard time believing the dropout rate for HISD is only 4%.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
We're going to have to agree to disagree and leave it there. I'm sick and tired of all the bloodlust and breathless politicalization from any perceived slight and think we could use a little more grace in the world. Do you think you'd get better results from a true meritocratic process where teachers are selected based solely upon their skill level or a process where you hire diverse candidates solely for the sake of diversity?

Quote:

And if you took what I said as a veiled threat, then that's on you for the guilty conscience

My conscience is clean, friend. Remember, you left out a boatload of nuance in order to make this comment.

Quote:

Why do you hate people being held accountable for what they say and do? Is it because you're afraid you may be held accountable one day?
WES2006AG
AG
Harry Lime said:

Dropout stats can be easy to game. From my understanding if you can get a parent (or the 18+ dropout) to sign off saying they are withdrawing to "home school" you don't have to count them as a dropout. This is whether there is any genuine intention of attempting home school or not.
Gap
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

schmendeler said:

Whoops

The fact that outcomes like this (and posters like schmendeler gleefully reposting it) exist makes me hate our current culture so much.
aww cmon, i wouldnt say his sharing of the news was gleeful. That may be how you interpreted it.

Seriously???

The fact that this is your response tells me you're a part of the problem. What did he need to be held accountable for? If you would have said "I can understand his argument but he did a poor job of articulating it" we would absolutely agree. Like adults can do. However, a man losing his job to cancel culture (after the narrative was purposefully completely twisted) is gross. If you can't understand then we really don't have anything to discuss.

Also...schmendeler's posting history speaks for itself so you can spare me in regards to that specific poster.
I believe I have said it before that I understand the argument he was trying to make. I also understand that is not what he wound up saying. Accident or not, he was on record as a public official. He is also in a customer-centric job seeing how he works in sales. I don't know how any company would expect to keep him on-board after that botched delivery and the negative publicity that followed. Perhaps his employer could have kept him on board tried to let it blow over. Perhaps he wasn't valued enough to try. Or it just is a case of his values not lining up with his bosses' values. Whether we like it or not, we are a rep of our employer pretty much 24/7.

You left out the part where people with a narrative distorted what he said to fit a preconceived agenda then attacked him with it. The fact that he got fired in the private sector is cancel culture in a nutshell. People who are either too biased, or not smart enough to understand nuance or logic attacked him for what they perceived or rather, wanted to perceive. The fact that you continuously defend that behavior (and conveniently omit large parts of the story when defending that behavior), and even went so far earlier as to make a veiled threat towards me tells me you are a proponent of our current cultural rot. It's gross.
Cancel culture is when you get fired for something you said when you were a teen or someone makes an allegation against you that isn't proven. His comments were on public record.
While those items would be a small part of cancel culture that is a very small element of it.

It doesn't matter when the comments were made, whether the allegation was proven or not, or whether the comment was made on "public record".

Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it this way: the practice or tendency of engaging in mass canceling as a way of expressing disapproval and exerting social pressure.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cancel%20culture
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
WES2006AG said:

Harry Lime said:

Dropout stats can be easy to game. From my understanding if you can get a parent (or the 18+ dropout) to sign off saying they are withdrawing to "home school" you don't have to count them as a dropout. This is whether there is any genuine intention of attempting home school or not.
Yeah, I think I remember reading during the North Forest ISD mess that their numbers would be much worse if they counted the 18 & never finished.
maroon barchetta

cajunaggie08 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

schmendeler said:

Whoops

Seriously???

There is not a treatment for the disorder. Your argument won't register with him. He will never see anything wrong with taking away a person's livelihood and that of his family because he articulated poorly and had his words twisted by a county judge barely qualified to manage a Starbucks and a Heights 1%er that blogs while her husband works treating patients.
rhoswen
AG
Yall wouldn't believe how much effort is put into getting seniors to graduate. It's absurd.
txags92
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

schmendeler said:

Whoops

Seriously???

People get fired in the private sector all the time for being a dumb ass. Cancel culture is when you get fired for something you said when you were a teen or someone makes an allegation against you that isn't proven. His comments were on public record.

"Do you know what the statewide average for Black teachers is? Ten percent. I looked it up. Houston ISD, which y'all used as a shining example, you know what their average number of percentages for Black teachers is? Thirty-six percent. I looked that up. You know what their drop-out rate is? Four percent. I don't want to be four percent. I don't want to be HISD. I want to be a shining example, I want to be the district standard. I want to be the premium place where people go to be."

I have no clue what you do for work, but if you think you can say those precise words and have them re-broadcasted all of local and national news sites and not hear back from your HR department, I would be shocked.

Those words when used alone and by themselves look bad if you don't understand the context in which the discussion occurred. However, they sound different when you realize that they had a consultant giving them a presentation encouraging them to increase the hiring of black teachers and using HISD as an example. He simply responded that CFISD was right at the state average for the number of black teachers, and that even with a much higher # of black teachers, HISD had a much higher dropout rate, so he didn't think they were a good example to follow. He wasn't saying having more black teachers meant a higher dropout rate, he was disputing the consultant's presentation claiming that there was a correlation between higher % black teachers and lower dropout rate. He was simply citing a relevant stat to object to their conclusion. There was nothing racist involved in what he said, unless you completely ignore the context in which it was said and twist the meaning of the words. This is a tempest in a teapot, and he should sue Splunk for everything he can get for being fired for this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.