Houston
Sponsored by

Planned construction - 11th street (Heights) / Bike lanes

15,511 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgLA06
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.theleadernews.com/city_government/tweaks-to-11th-street-plan-to-be-discussed-at-upcoming-meeting/article_2cddadd6-4214-11ec-a529-6b9ae2946617.html

I'm a runner who occasionally takes the bike out, … so I'm all for increased bike lanes, etc. but this seems like a bad bad deal.

11th street is one of the busiest East-West streets in all of the heights, especially between Shepherd and Yale. Cutting that down from 4 lanes to 2 and putting a concrete median between them to block left hand turns is about the last thing you should want to do. Where does all that traffic go? Into the residential streets?

There are a bunch of restaurants in that area (one form Aaron Franklin coming) and the lack of left hand turns and cutting the lanes in half is going to be a mess.
Sea Speed
AG
I'll be interested to hear the history of the decision making that led to this getting a green light.
SockDePot
They're going to do the same thing to bingle north of I-10.

Spring valley is doing it to match COH.

I don't understand how it isn't going to be a traffic nightmare.
Paducah
AG
I agree, but it will likely be overshadowed by the plan for Shepherd and Durham between I-10 and 610, which includes bike lanes and reducing the vehicle lanes from 4 lanes to 3.

Shepherd & Durham Project
MAS444
AG
The original plan had 1 lane going each way, a turn lane and bike lanes on each side. Apparently there wasn't enough room for that so they've moved to this. It's definitely going to force more traffic onto the side streets, which seems bad. There's got to be a better way to do this. Did anyone attend the zoom meetingl last night? I meant to but couldn't.

Also, RIP Ryan the Temp/please come back.
texagbeliever
Paducah said:

I agree, but it will likely be overshadowed by the plan for Shepherd and Durham between I-10 and 610, which includes bike lanes and reducing the vehicle lanes from 4 lanes to 3.

If you are going to be incompetent at least dont do anything that makes things worse. Rush hour on shpherd/Durham is bad driving now, reduce the lanes and it will be atrocious.

[You=city planners]
herb96
AG
They need to connect that line to the white oak bayou trail on TC Jester
Ag_07
AG
I just don't see the need for so many bike lanes.

Are there that many biking around that we need to reduce vehicle lanes?

The demand just doesn't justify the trade off.
W
AG
Paducah said:

this is beyond a terrible idea -- Shepherd is already very bad in the afternoons
chico
AG
herb96 said:

They need to connect that line to the whole oak bayou trail on TC Jester
Patterson seems like a better idea than Shepherd. It goes directly into the trail just north of I-10. It goes south all the way to St. Thomas High School.
CDUB98
AG
99% of the bike lane ideas in Houston suck. This one is no exception.

It falls right in line with the same progressive bull**** where they want to chop down traffic lanes in Asstin to push more people onto mass transit.

Mass transit and bikes are the end goal for these people, because it's "greener" and that's the way Europe does it.
HtownAg92
AG
They just completed a big bike lane project on Waugh between Allen Parkway and Westheimer, cutting out one of the lanes. I take the road everyday to drop kids off at school. I've yet to see a single bike using the new protected lane. They did take away the right turn only lanes at Gray and at Westheimer, which usually would ease some traffic and allow a right on red.

Will the Lances and Indurains actually use these lanes, or are they for the hipster fixed gears, with the "real" bikers still blocking traffic on main lanes?
Mr. Lahey
AG
Our city planners are complete fools
Stat Monitor Repairman
Don't forget about Dallas St. the og of dumbass bike lane projects.
agnerd
AG
City has committed to ending all pedestrian and bicycle deaths on houston streets. You can't eliminate deaths while traffic is flowing normally, so you have to slow it down. That's what they are doing. Slowing down traffic (and reducing capacity and increasing traffic, but that's ok because fewer pedestrians will die and that's all that matters) This is what we elected, and this is what we are getting. Can't have people with cars that aren't reliant on the government to meet all their transportation needs. They might vote for someone in the "wrong" party.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Couple of people a year get run over trying to cross the street in downtown. How many people been killed by the death train over the years?
agnerd
AG
Shhh! You're not supposed to mention those. Only the deaths by evil cars count. They are the fault of evil drivers. Death Happy Train deaths are the fault of dumb pedestrians...
drumboy
AG
I wish they'd make it 2 lanes w/ a contraflow turning lane like Studewood (before pedestrian island) or W Alabama and then add a bike lane. 11th already kinda sucks w/ left turn traffic stopping traffic, slow fools in the right lane, and nobody sure if they should stop for folks in the crosswalk.
Ag_07
AG
And for the record I'm not anti bike trails.

If they wanna build bike trails build some like the White Oak Bayou, Heights trails, and now the Spring Branch trail that are not on streets in traffic.

Those are great and people use the shlt out of them but this notion that people are using bike lanes to travel to and from work and to commute rather than use cars is asinine.
streetfighter2012
AG
This doesn't reduce the volume of vehicle traffic. The same number of cars will still need to travel east and west. Why not just put the cyclists on a different street by making 10th or 12th one way each and having a full pedestrian/bike line that would be utilized without fear of the busy 11th street traffic?
CDUB98
AG
streetfighter2012 said:

This doesn't reduce the volume of vehicle traffic. The same number of cars will still need to travel east and west. Why not just put the cyclists on a different street by making 10th or 12th one way each and having a full pedestrian/bike line that would be utilized without fear of the busy 11th street traffic?

Because that doesn't fit the agenda.

The agenda is to make it so painful for cars to travel, that they choose mass transit.

You're idea makes sense, so why in the hell would gov't ever use it?
Irish 2.0
I live at Cortlandt and 12th and this is the stupidest **** I've heard of from the city since living there.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Can you still get to anywhere in the city in 30 minutes if you have to bike?
Sea Speed
AG
25, actually.
Ag_07
AG
I bet Critical Mass is happy they finally get their own lane and they'll be sure to stay in only the dedicated bike lane.
HDeathstar
Bike group of ~2,000 members and federal funding drive the addition of these lanes. We fought it on the Kirkwood expansion. Moved bike lane to sidewalk. Don't understand using a foot of concrete for bikes. Residential area, just let them ride on the street lane like a car. not enough riders to block traffic all day, and when no bikes are present, you still have 4 lanes.
htxag09
AG
HDeathstar said:

Bike group of ~2,000 members and federal funding drive the addition of these lanes. We fought it on the Kirkwood expansion. Moved bike lane to sidewalk. Don't understand using a foot of concrete for bikes. Residential area, just let them ride on the street lane like a car. not enough riders to block traffic all day, and when no bikes are present, you still have 4 lanes.
I agree with this. These projects are dumb and make everything less efficient. Issue is the vast majority of drivers see cyclists as a nuisance that need to get off their roads and, at this point in time, it's not safe.
wessimo
AG
They aren't putting a bike lane down 11th Street. <WRONG> They are making it easier for bikers and pedestrians to cross which is a good thing. The Nicholson crossing in particular is horrible presently.

The Shepherd bike lanes are going to be great for getting around the neighborhood - looking forward to those going in.

Additional info:

https://houstonbikeplan.org/planned/11th-street/
MAS444
AG
"Protected bicycle lanes will be installed on both sides of 11th throughout the entire stretch..."

Always been the plan.
Ag_07
AG
Did you even open the link you posted?

wessimo
AG
I was wrong. It happens occasionally. Thanks for setting me straight.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Never admit to being wrong on TexAgs. Double down on the other person's lying, misleading, nefarious agenda, and throw in some personal comments as if you were familiar with the fella's spotty character before this encounter, because this only confirms what everyone already thought about him. Oh, and try to get the mods to delete any comments with which you might've disagreed.
HtownAg92
AG
Don't forget to call the other person a raging Lib and then throw out a straw man to distract from the original topic.

For instance, "So you are saying that you and your fellow Beto supporters want to ban all cars from the road? That's ridiculous and would never happen. Typical lib thinking."
Marsh
AG
I use the trail quite frequently, especially to cross at 11th and Nicholson. I wish they would just install one of those crosswalk stop lights that they have at Shepherd and Kroger.

That said, the crosswalk and signs to yield to pedestrians are completely ignored right now. Frankly, it is extremely dangerous for a car to yield for pedestrians because some ******* with a paper plate will come speeding through in the other lane. I've seen several accidents and a couple near misses of a car hitting a person.

I could see this action as just pushing more cars to other cross streets (specifically, 16th and 19th) and spreading out the traffic a bit more. Hard to say tho. More bike lanes are stupid though, we can all agree on that.
HeightsAg
I'm not anti bike lanes but this whole project is 100% hammer looking for a nail. It all started because people wanted a safer way to cross 11th at Nicholson on the Hike and Bike trail. But instead of simply putting in a pedestrian crossing light like most wanted, the committee used this as a opportunity to come up with this ridiculous plan.

As already stated, 11th is the busiest east/west corridor through the Heights and traffic already backs up at Shepherd, Heights/Yale, Studewood during rush hour and that's with 4 lanes. This will obviously make it that much worse or route a ton of traffic into the narrow side streets. But luckily for the planning committee, this is exactly what they are looking to do - make it miserable so that people will drive less and reduce vehicular speeds.

How has it come to this you ask? Apparently, when city planners seek feedback on something that most hate, they simply cherry pick the responses and either ignore concerns from the opposition or regurgitate studies from other cities/countries that support their stance. It's not that they are tone deaf, they simply don't care what the community has to say. Not sure what else to do ...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.