Houston
Sponsored by

Planned construction - 11th street (Heights) / Bike lanes

15,516 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgLA06
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Don't forget shejack over on 20th.

19th. I've drunkenly pissed on it a few times during my walks home.
CDUB98
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Talmbout
Ryan the Temp
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

I would doubt that office has ever been staffed in the last several years. SJL doesn't do constituent casework.
Texan_Aggie
AG
They had a couple of folks waving a Biden/Harris flag in the middle of 19th in front of her office during election time. Only other time I've seen people there is handing out cupcakes during WLN.
Chewy
AG
Whoever removed the construction barriers on 11th and Shepherd and threw them on the formed up sidewalk that hasn't been touched for a week you are a damn hero. You'd finally had enough like most residents and took matters into your hands. Couldn't be more proud of you.

I'd love to buy you a meal deal at Someburger on the time of your choosing.

Send me an email with that time to mayor@houstontx.gov
Ryan the Temp
AG
Since COH did such a good job of keeping meetings about this project quiet, I suspect it's going to be a huge surprise to most of the people who live in the neighborhood.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Whats the deal with that tortilla factory?
MAS444
AG
Anyone know what's going on at 11th and Rutland? Large lot on southwest corner has been vacant for a little while but lots of work going on now. At one time the lot was marketed for a burger joint type place.
Irish 2.0
MAS444 said:

Anyone know what's going on at 11th and Rutland? Large lot on southwest corner has been vacant for a little while but lots of work going on now. At one time the lot was marketed for a burger joint type place.
You mean Nicholson across from Sofia's? I know 11th and Shepherd at the old dry cleaners is going to be another freaking chicken restraunt.
MAS444
AG
No - I mean 11th and Rutland.
Irish 2.0
Hmmm...Guess I've just been not paying attention at that intersection. I've noticed they're moving quickly on whatever they're doing at 11th and Lawrence.
Ryan the Temp
AG
MAS444 said:

From four years ago:
https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/3X_uHlFB0m3O4Kq_Alsb0wtbpLNqGncj3qZauM2veuw/402W11thStv14.pdf

But I think this was before the building was demolished.
MAS444
AG
Yeah - that's the marketing flyer I recall seeing back then. The building was just demo'd in the last few years. Hoping it's restaurant/retail and not multi family of some sort.
Chewy
AG
It was staging for equipment and materials for the drainage work they did next to Hando but definitely looks like some kind of construction on the lot now.

Haven't heard what it is though.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Chewy said:

It was staging for equipment and materials for the drainage work they did next to Hando but definitely looks like some kind of construction on the lot now.

Haven't heard what it is though.
It's going to be a spin studio.

Project Details

Project No:
Date :
2022/06/28 00:00:00
USE :
4,593 SF CYCLING EXERCISE STUDIO BUILDOU
Owner/Occupant :
*2B INVESTMENTS LLC
Job Address :
402 W 11TH ST 77008
Ryan the Temp
AG
MAS444 said:

See my post above. Wanted to make sure you saw a reply to your post.
Chewy
AG
Thanks for the info.

Interesting use of that real estate. Didn't realize there was that much demand for spin studios.

Hope the proposed bike lanes don't blow up their business model.

This will be irony of irony . They should both be available around the same time where people will drive to ride a bike indoors while ignoring the City's bike lanes.
MAS444
AG
Got it - thanks. Not as useful to me personally as a bar or restuarant - but probably better for neighbors. I wonder if there will be space for other tenants too. Sure seems like a lot of work going on there for just a spin studio.
MAS444
AG
Saw these cats walking up and down 11th west of Yale today dutifully pointing and looking at some kind of plans/notes. The lady in orange was pushing her bike around the whole time - but she was never actually riding the bike. She seemed very proud of herself. Anyone know who she is? RTT? I'm assuming this is related to the new bike lanes…?
Irish 2.0
Probably one of the insufferable ****s that was at Buchanan's during the 'town hall'
Stat Monitor Repairman
Orange shirt is the type that can **** up a lot of **** if you put in charge of something.

I will tell you that.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I have no idea who she is.
Ryan the Temp
AG
And so it begins ... Signage is up for the repaving project on W. 11th. My understanding is when they paint the new asphalt it will be done in the new configuration.
Chewy
AG
Yep. I've been trying to deny it but it's happening and it's going to suck. No way around it.

Removing necessary lanes of traffic for something perceptional that has no real value.

Feel bad for the folks that have to deal with sausage farts smells, limited parking, and now more traffic congestion just trying to get to the place where they make a home.

Way to go, COH.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Chewy said:

Way to go, COH.
This project is just one of numerous reasons I grew to hate Public Works.
Ciboag96
Time to get into the white memorial bike display business
Chewy
AG
Here's timing from this page:

https://www.letstalkhouston.org/11th-street-bikeway?tool=qanda

This may be a different construction project, as the 11th Street rehabilitation (repaving) is estimated to take place starting September until November 2022, starting at Michaux working west to Studewood [phase 1] then Yale to Dorothy [phase 2]. The timeline is dependant on weather and construction conditions. The street safety improvements (pedestrian refuge islands, crosswalk and other pavement markings, protected bike lanes, etc.) will follow the repaving and is estimated to be complete in February 2023. Again, these are estimates and subject to change depending on weather and construction conditions. The City will communicate, via this Let's Talk Houston webpage and also NextDoor, before street rehabilitation and safety improvements take place.
Chewy
AG
And they don't directly address this question of why 4 to 2 with bike lanes rather than 4 to 3. I think I could stomach it a little better if they just admitted they wanted bike lanes if it it inconveniences drivers. It's a bike lane project disguised as a traffic safety project which is total BS. At least how they've presented it.

Originally all of 11th street was supposed to be 4 to 3 road diet. When it was measured correctly Yale to Shepherd was only wide enough for either 4 to 3 or 4 to 2 and bike lanes, which was the selected option. So why has Studewood to Micheaux been changed from 4 to 3 and bike lanes to 4 to 2 with bikelanes. Was that also incorrectly measured? The initial showings North Main west of 45 were also originally shown as 4 to 3 with bike lanes and are now 4 to 2 with bike lanes, no middle lane. Are all these mistaken measurements? Or are you just trying to take out center lanes where there are protected bike lanes. That is a lot of road space where Emergency Vehicles can not get through because there is no place for vehicles. to pull over to let them through. Can we see a document that The Fire Chief and Police Cheif have signed off on this. I wouldhate for someone to be watching their house burn down while waiting for a firetruck to get to me by less timely means.
Lefty asked 18 days ago

Thanks for your comments and questions. The design process evolves as additional information is gathered, so as the design progresses the original concept can change. This was the case with both 11th and North Main. Both projects have a goal to address safety for all road users, especially focusing on people walking and biking. With higher crash rates than the state average, the City is focused on design concepts that improve safety for everyone using these streets and increasing connectivity for other modes of transportation like walking, biking, and taking transit. The City has prioritized this in the design concepts, factored in traffic volume data, including turn movements, and adjusted components of the design based on community feedback. This project has gone through the City review process, including review and approval of the latest design plans (100%) by our partners in Houston Fire and Houston Police.
Ryan the Temp
AG
It still blows my mind that not one single person working for COH knew enough about the area and lane configurations to realize they designed the project with a westbound dedicated left turn lane onto N. Shepherd against the flow of one-way traffic.
AgLA06
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

wessimo said:

Does he live in the Heights?
No, he lives over by Memorial Park.

He used to live southeast of the park. Between the park and memorial drive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.