Houston
Sponsored by

Planned construction - 11th street (Heights) / Bike lanes

15,569 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgLA06
HeightsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here's a write up on the "feedback" session from last night.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2021/11/17/houston-targeting-early-2022-for-construction-on-11th-street-bikeway/

"Groves said she did not expect traffic to increase significantly, citing data from the FHA showing lane reduction works when traffic counts are at 25,000 cars per day or fewer." and "Additionally, officials said monitoring the effect of the project on side streets is part of a "post-project to-do list" and that such side effects have not been seen on similar lane reduction projects."

Translation - STFU because it worked in other places (that aren't the same but we'll pretend like it is) and if it ends up sucking, too late and oh well - not my problem (because I don't live here).
chimpanzee
See, this is what happens when an urban neighborhood gets nice. The people with time on their hands are all stupid rich and don't have to actually do anything productive, so they launch off on crusades against whatever will get them invited to the bigger party next year.

This is "Keep Austin Weird" on the bayou.
JJxvi
AG
Ugh, so if I'm reading that correctly (regarding a "pedestrian refuge island at 11th"), it seems like the only way to do that is to make it so cars will only be able to turn right and not left onto Nicholson from either direction on 11th?
chico
AG
I went to a city meeting about 11th St years ago. The officials stressed that there are/were a high number of car accidents due to people turning left from the left lane, rather than a center lane. Cars would rear-end or swerve lanes and get in accidents. Plus they had unmarked radar guns showing excess speed. So the design was to reduce speeds and make left turns safer. The bike lane is/was just a by-product. I suspect the changes along Shepherd might be due to the same goals.

I bike a LOT on the city streets. For east/west along there, I'm always on a side street. For north/south near Shepherd I'd be on Patterson or some other side street. Those sealed-off, blocked bike lanes are awful (Kelly, Houston Ave bridge). They're never cleaned. They get muddy, full of glass, sticks, metal. You'll get a bike crash or a flat tire if you ride in there. I suspect I'll never ride the bike lanes along 11th or Shepherd.
JJxvi
AG
That article makes it sound actually like all traffic going the wrong way on 11th will have to use only either Lawrence or Rutland to turn into each side of the neighborhood.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Those sealed-off, blocked bike lanes are awful (Kelly, Houston Ave bridge). They're never cleaned. They get muddy, full of glass, sticks, metal. You'll get a bike crash or a flat tire if you ride in there.

THIS!!
htxag09
AG
I would like to point out that you can blame rich bored people, trying to mimic California or Europe, etc. all you want. But at the root of all this is the fact that drivers in Houston are ****ing terrible. Highly likely that if drivers knew you were supposed to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk and actually slowed down and looked for pedestrians at crosswalks this probably never would have come up.

That crosswalk is especially terrible. But in the 6+ years I've been running in Houston I've had 1 car stop for me at a crosswalk. Hell, we take our son to a daycare in the heights and to get there we cross the Houston Heights Hike and Bike Trail on Waverly. This is a small side street and just in the 8ish months we've been going to this daycare I've already seen a couple incidents of drivers not paying the slightest bit of attention and driving through at full speed while a pedestrian was approaching/already entering the crosswalk. I've also had about half a dozen cars honk at me because I've slowed down/stopped to let pedestrians cross.
drumboy
AG
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Those sealed-off, blocked bike lanes are awful (Kelly, Houston Ave bridge). They're never cleaned. They get muddy, full of glass, sticks, metal. You'll get a bike crash or a flat tire if you ride in there.

THIS!!
Yes....when I do an ebike ride from Heights to Saucer/Saint Arnold I end up riding on the street most of the way.
chimpanzee
htxag09 said:

I would like to point out that you can blame rich bored people, trying to mimic California or Europe, etc. all you want. But at the root of all this is the fact that drivers in Houston are ****ing terrible. Highly likely that if drivers knew you were supposed to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk and actually slowed down and looked for pedestrians at crosswalks this probably never would have come up.

That crosswalk is especially terrible. But in the 6+ years I've been running in Houston I've had 1 car stop for me at a crosswalk. Hell, we take our son to a daycare in the heights and to get there we cross the Houston Heights Hike and Bike Trail on Waverly. This is a small side street and just in the 8ish months we've been going to this daycare I've already seen a couple incidents of drivers not paying the slightest bit of attention and driving through at full speed while a pedestrian was approaching/already entering the crosswalk. I've also had about half a dozen cars honk at me because I've slowed down/stopped to let pedestrians cross.

Drivers are terrible everywhere, this is going to make them worse.
chimpanzee
The lanes downtown are a joke, you see more bikes riding the wrong way down a one way street than you do on those things. Massive waste.
Sea Speed
AG
drumboy said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

THIS!!
Yes....when I do an ebike ride from Heights to Saucer/Saint Arnold I end up riding on the street most of the way.

So this gov solution will waste a third of the entire street and not even be used as designed, causing more traffic and probably more cyclists hit? Who would have thunk it?
drumboy
AG
Sea Speed said:

drumboy said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

THIS!!

So this gov solution will waste a third of the entire street and not even be used as designed, causing more traffic and probably more cyclists hit? Who would have thunk it?
I'll probably use this, but 13th is a straight shot from Shepherd to Heights w/ maybe only 1 stop sign until you get to Yale. We need a better N/S connector as it's a PITA to get to Wakefield, Ella has a bike line but it's almost unusable and drivers G0Fs about bikes up that way. Also not easy to get to south side of Washington/Montrose with Waugh being a cluster between Washington & W Grey.

I use the White Oak Bayou trail but it's full of walkers so I have to constantly slow down. I like to cruise 25-30 mph so streets are better.
CDUB98
AG
Get off the e-bike and get on a real bike, fatty!!
chico
AG
drumboy said:

Sea Speed said:

drumboy said:

CDUB98 said:

We need a better N/S connector as it's a PITA to get to Wakefield, Ella has a bike line but it's almost unusable and drivers G0Fs about bikes up that way. Also not easy to get to south side of Washington/Montrose with Waugh being a cluster between Washington & W Grey.

Going north/south in inner Houston has always been an issue - I guess since they started building roads with Buffalo Bayou in the way. No bike ability over Buffalo Bayou east of Lockwood, unless you're a daredevil on Wayside, then definitely nothing east of there. West of Shepherd, you're pinned in by River Oaks / Memorial Park until 610. And 610 was built cutting out a big chunk of Memorial Park so the fine folks in Tanglewood wouldn't sue. As you mention, Waugh is a biker's mess. Thankfully there are several bike trails across Buffalo Bayou from downtown to Shepherd.
chico
AG
htxag09 said:

I have people honk at me when I stop for pedestrians in a cross-walk. One time I got rear-ended (Houston Ave at Bayland) when I stopped for a pedestrian in the cross-walk.

The Nicholson/11th cross-walk needs rumble strips and flashing lights on 11th to warn drivers.

I did an experiment the other day. I crossed at the fancy new cross-walk on Studewood by Field Elementary. I crossed 10 times, timing it as cars approached. There were 4 cars that stopped for me and 6 went right through. That 40% rate is higher than the 0% rate I've gotten everywhere else. So maybe some progress is being made in the road designs.
Sea Speed
AG
You played real life frogger for fun?
chico
AG
Sea Speed said:

You played real life frogger for fun?
yeah I guess - but safely!
Chewy
AG
I live at 12th and Rutland so this hits really close to my literal home and really makes me think.
Mas89
AG
Just put bike concrete paths on top of all existing large drain ditches and bayous. Both sides. Would connect every neighborhood. The new Lake Houston to Trinity River -Coastal Water Authority (COH) canal would be a road bikers wet dream if it had a concrete bike path. 28 mile bike path with zero traffic. Currently rock road on top.
Panama Red
AG
Chewy said:

I live at 12th and Rutland so this hits really close to my literal home and really makes me think.
I'm about a 8 iron away from you.
Sea Speed
AG
I smell a texags block party brewing.
MAS444
AG
I'll have to roll coal by your homes every day when I leave work since I won't be able to turn left to get directly onto 11th.
Chewy
AG
No you won't. I just purchased one of these to put on Rutland so people slow their roll. Take that City of Houston and their stupid decisions!

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
htxag09 said:

That's because you are supposed to be in a car, dumbass.
Panama Red
AG
Just finished hanging this up below my self installed "no parking" sign

Ciboag96
What do the "no parking" Lesbians think of this plan?
Bigballin
AG
It's all so stupid. They've screwed up Gray and Waugh with this crap.
TX04Aggie
AG
Glad I live on the Timbergrove side of 11th street. It is practically an expressway as long as you dont hit the sinking parts or potholes wrong.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
This is Houston, it's too ****ing hot to bike 5 months out of the year without being drenched in sweat. No one wants to work next to Ass Sweat Carl who just biked his fat ass to work
htxag09
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

This is Houston, it's too ****ing hot to bike 5 months out of the year without being drenched in sweat. No one wants to work next to Ass Sweat Carl who just biked his fat ass to work

Well someone biking to work probably isn't the fat ass of the office. As someone who runs everyday during lunch, and uses the gym shower at the office (crazy concept), I'd love to bike to and from work.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
htxag09 said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Well someone biking to work probably isn't the fat ass of the office. As someone who runs everyday during lunch, and uses the gym shower at the office (crazy concept), I'd love to bike to and from work.

No offense carl
91poohah
AG
Seems like I have more TexAgs neighbors then I realized. I'm on Nicholson between 10th and 11th. This is going to be a mess. I think it will stop north/south cut-through traffic on most streets with the center divider on 12th, but turn Rutland into a disaster. And 10th and 12th will pick up lots more traffic. Ugh.
Boo Weekley
The good news is that this will disproportionately affect Beto/Hidalgo/Che Guevara loving libs in a negative manner. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of...surely had to be republicans behind it.
AndesAg92
AG
Outside of a mode of true transportation to work etc. I would never risk the road cyclist ride outside of the trails. Houston drivers are awful but so are the cyclists.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Every time I've had to hit the brakes for a cyclist, it occurred to me that they're not just trusting my always-reliable judgement; their trusting every a-hole w/ paper plates who goes blasting through the neighborhood at 50+ mph.

Hasn't happened recently, but it was annoying in the first couple months of the covid shutdown when every middle-aged hermit thought they were going to get off Nextdoor and use the lockdown to get back into shape or get into cycling. Dad-Bod trying to hop curbs in traffic on his new mountain bike while the kids trailed behind was kind of unnerving.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.