Houston
Sponsored by

Pavers vs stamped concrete

2,531 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BBRex
billu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We live in Katy and have a Perry home. We have existing concrete patio of 100 sq feet and would like to extend it and get a stamped concrete / pavers. We wont be having any pool. Considering Houston weather and in terms of maintainence, looks, long lasting, which one do you think is better- Stamped concrete or Pavers? Thanks for your recommendation.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Katy Perry's home. Nice.
TroyMc
I've done both and had good and bad experiences with both.

Stamped concrete - looks great brand new. Colors can fade and water can come in from the sides and lead to discoloration. Fixes can be a bit of a challenge. Most of these come with a top layer composite that actually does well in heat so that your feet don't burn off in the summer which is a big plus.

Pavers - go for a paver with little to no space between the pavers. Otherwise it will take jointing sand which can/will wash out, mildew etc in our wonderful Houston heat and moisture.

Can't tell you for sure but I do think pavers are more cost effective. And personally I think you get a wider selection of pavers which can look really nice if you do a good job choosing them. Belgard has a nice selection. But stay away from Paverock as your installer. They're worthless
mortal
AG
I had very good results with 16" pavers put in 15 years ago.. But there was a lot of effort in the sublayer. Crushed rock tamped with a machine. Also gapped the pavers 1/2" to allow even moisture over the 700 sq. ft. Tamped gravel into the gaps, as well. Gave up trying to keep weeds out of the gaps and just trim the wild nut grass flat with the pavers. I am not using patio furniture, so I don't know about legs caught in the gaps. I have driven on it a few times. I have had to "replant" only one single paver that stayed flat but shifted sideways on a heavy traffic spot..
Thinice
Any recommendations on who to use?
mortal
AG
Thinice said:

The lawn maintenance guy and I are both retired.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Thinice said:

Freedom Irrigation and Landscaping is currently extending our patio pavers around our pool to a where an existing flower bed was the dogs destroyed.

Louis is the contact 832-893-5626
cypress-ag
AG
We have pavers around our pool area and wish we'd never done it. Color has faded even with sealant and pavers tend to sink as well. We've done the sand between the stones and all that we were told and just not happy. I'd take the concrete all day and twice on Sunday even if it fades.
Lucky Jack Aubrey
AG
https://www.paverconnection.com/
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Everything said about pavers is true. They're fine for walking paths or temporary cheap arrangements that you can easily do yourself. But you'd likely be frustrated if trying to use them for a patio. They inevitably sink, and not all evenly or at the same rate. Think Tetris.
BBRex
AG
http://www.lipanidesigns.com

This was a recommendation from Texags when I was looking in '15. I'm still happy with the results. A friend had him do her paver patio, too, and she's happy with the results.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.