Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2020

40,772 Views | 366 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bigballin
SW2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
^ 57%

bigjag19
AG
SW2011 said:

^ 57%

Winner!!!!
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

You have filed a protest on your account and now have several options to resolve the protest either through a meeting with an appraiser or a hearing before the Appraisal Review Board.

The first option is to request a Remote meeting, in which case your meeting would be done virtually. Your protest could be resolved more quickly using this method since social distancing requirements would not apply.

In choosing a Remote meeting, you would have the opportunity to submit documents for evidence through owners.hcad.org at least 3 days before your scheduled meeting. You would be notified through a text message or email of the time to check in for your meeting and at the start of your meeting. You can check in for your meeting through the owners.hcad.org up to one hour before the scheduled time. The meeting would be conducted remotely through the owner's website with video conferencing of the Appraisal Review Board members.

The second option is to request an In Person meeting, in which case your meeting would be at the appraisal district office. Your protest resolution could be delayed using this method since social distancing requirements would apply and have restricted the space available to conduct in-person meetings in the appraisal district office.

In choosing an In Person meeting, you would have the opportunity to submit documents for evidence through owners.hcad.org at least 3 days before your scheduled meeting. You would be notified by email of the scheduled hearing date and time, and the meeting would be conducted in person with the Appraisal Review Board and appraiser with social distancing requirements applied.

The third option is to Withdraw the protest, in which case the value will remain the current value listed on your notice. If you no longer want to proceed with your protest, no further meetings will be scheduled, and scheduled meetings will be canceled.

Please log into owners.hcad.org and select "Meeting Options" to identify how you would like to proceed with your protest.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Got the same email just now, as well. Initial reaction is to do in person, per usual.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Got the same email as well. I figured to do in person to drag this out as long as possible for them.

~egon
tylercsbn9
AG
Has anyone had to get thier house square footage fixed? What actual evidence did you use? I am thinking my appraisal from when I bought the house last year would work. The is the only thing that is ****ing up my value. They are saying 2900 sq ft but my house is 2600.

They put me at 365K but my same house is 340K on my street and the same value one street over. My iSettle was 351K and I rejected it. I don't even know if they recognized the house size problem which is the main reason I am going through to the formal. That needs to get fixed.
Aggie71013
AG
I just got it too. If we pick remote, do we still get their info packet two weeks in advance so I can build that into my case?
Dr. Doctor
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

Has anyone had to get thier house square footage fixed? What actual evidence did you use? I am thinking my appraisal from when I bought the house last year would work. The is the only thing that is ****ing up my value. They are saying 2900 sq ft but my house is 2600.

They put me at 365K but my same house is 340K on my street and the same value one street over. My iSettle was 351K and I rejected it. I don't even know if they recognized the house size problem which is the main reason I am going through to the formal. That needs to get fixed.
I did before with my first house. They were counting the stairs twice in the square footage.

I brought in the website-builder plans (best I had) and showed what the dimensions were compared to theirs.

If you have an appraisal as well that helps too.

~egon
tylercsbn9
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

tylercsbn9 said:

I did before with my first house. They were counting the stairs twice in the square footage.

I brought in the website-builder plans (best I had) and showed what the dimensions were compared to theirs.

If you have an appraisal as well that helps too.

~egon
Thanks. I have the website builder plans too. They are still selling my model currently.
tylercsbn9
AG
Aggie71013 said:

I just got it too. If we pick remote, do we still get their info packet two weeks in advance so I can build that into my case?
I think I saw their info on the owner portal already. At least there was something there for mine. It is worthless for me as the comps they are using are all 2900 sq feet and they've incorrectly size my house 300 square feet too big.
aTm_bomb
AG
Got this email as well. I am unclear from reading it that if I choose remote or in person if it is still an appraiser as part of the informal protest. I do not want to elect remote to find out that I'm doing the BS board hearing in lieu of the informal where you get 2 minutes to state your case and no discussion/rebuttal.

Anyone clear on this?
Aggie71013
AG
HCAD'S website implies both informal and ARB will happen remotely or in person based on your selection.

"Property owners who filed a protest that has not been settled will soon be receiving information about options for Remote or In Person meetings or Appraisal Review Board hearings.

A remote meeting would be done virtually with either an appraiser or with the ARB. Remote meetings are expected to be scheduled more quickly since social distancing rules will not apply."
aTm_bomb
AG
Yea I read the same. It just didn't give me comfort that you may be dealing with an appraiser in an informal or you got straight to the ARB to speed up the process

Having said that, would y'all rather do remote or go in?
Martin Q. Blank
aTm_bomb said:

Yea I read the same. It just didn't give me comfort that you may be dealing with an appraiser in an informal or you got straight to the ARB to speed up the process

Having said that, would y'all rather do remote or go in?
You will always have a better chance negotiating with a person face to face.
Martin Q. Blank
Dr. Doctor said:

Got the same email as well. I figured to do in person to drag this out as long as possible for them.

~egon
Aren't the appraisal districts up against some deadline this year?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yes. The have to certify 95% of the tax roll by 7/25. There's been speculation that there will be an extension by the state but nothing has happened yet. As of today I have final values for I think 4 of the 67 properties I manage for my company.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Based on the text of the email:
Quote:

In choosing a Remote meeting,[...]The meeting would be conducted remotely through the owner's website with video conferencing of the Appraisal Review Board members.

In choosing an In Person meeting,[...] the meeting would be conducted in person with the Appraisal Review Board and appraiser with social distancing requirements applied.
combined with the options given when you log in:

it seems like they are dropping the informal stage all together at this point. which really sucks. i would have chosen iSettle if i wan't going to get the option of an informal.
Aggie71013
AG
I'm not quite convinced they are dropping the informal. I think it is just poor wording on their part. Plan to call today to verify.
aTm_bomb
AG
Report back with what you hear.
Aggie71013
AG
Just spoke with HCAD. Informals are still happening.

If you select remote, both your informal and ARB would be remote.

If you select in-perspon, both your informal and ARB would be in-person.
Dr. Venkman
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Yes. The have to certify 95% of the tax roll by 7/25. There's been speculation that there will be an extension by the state but nothing has happened yet. As of today I have final values for I think 4 of the 67 properties I manage for my company.
I have not had any sort of meeting with HCAD for all 5 of my properties.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I should have clarified that the ones we've had movement on are in FB, Montgomery and Dallas.
Aggie71013
AG
Selected remote and within 24 hours have an informal scheduled for 7/14
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Perfect. Thanks for reporting back. Plan to do the same
jaggiemaggie
AG
Aggie71013 said:

Did you get an email or did you have to log in to hcad?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I was on hcad for work earlier and thought to check my own account. Apparently my informal is on 7/9 but I never recieved any notification. Got scheduled a few days ago
tylercsbn9
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Aggie71013 said:

Did you get an email or did you have to log in to hcad?
Hummm....I picked remote last week and don't have anything yet. No email and nothing on the owners portal.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Just logged in and my in-person informal is set for mid-July. Looked to reschedule but no dates showing as available.
Aggie71013
AG
No email. Logged into ifile and the date was listed.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Same here
Teddy Perkins
AG
Just called HCAD at 713-812-5860 to reschedule my informal and it took about 5 minutes to push it to July 23rd. They did ask for a reason for rescheduling, just told them I had a planned vacation on the 16th. Sounded like they had plenty of availability to reschedule.
Aggie71013
AG
Just got an offer prior to the informal. Offer was for a 14% increase instead of the original 23% increase. Debating how much more I think I can negotiate through the informal / ARB.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I just got an email trying to lower value about 3k from the max increase they are trying to push. I still have informal, but can take this offer and end it all.

Ignore the email and everything happens as planned. Still trying for a 2% increase instead of 11% increase.

~egon
ChipFTAC01
AG
They must be just working off of some excel spreadsheet on these counters ahead of informal because they are up against a deadline to see who will bite and free up some time.

Their initial value was a $34k increase from 2019. I countered with a $25k decrease (almost $60k under their valuation).

They just came back with a value that's $4500 less than my value from 2019 (40k less than what they initially proposed. But still $20k more than I had proposed. I think I'll still take my informal next week.
aTm_bomb
AG
I opted for in person informal after their offer was barely lower than what they assessed. I wonder if they'll send another offer before my informal later this month to see if I'll take it.

I imagine the more people opt for in person the more possible of additional offers?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.