Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2020

40,501 Views | 366 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bigballin
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In an effort to distract from coronavirus, let's talk HCAD 2020 values!

My Jan 1, 2020 value decreased by 0.63% from 2019. Property is in 77389.

I protested my 2019 value and won, so to see it go down again (even if it's just $2k) is a win. Value is probably a fair assessment, if not a little low (at least until the housing market tanks).
miley
AG
Down 9.3% in 77096

Edit: down 6.9%. Wife sent me the wrong numbers.
Mr07Ag
AG
Up 5.3% in 77079
TexAg2001
AG
miley said:

Down 9.3% in 77096
WTH. Mine are up 8.5% in 77096. We protested (and won) last year, getting a 6% drop, but they've added all that back and then some!
Dr. Horrible
~+2% in 077

Should be able to argue that down.
Diggity
AG
7% drop in 77096.

Of course, my house somehow shrunk this year as well, not that I'm complaining.
slavy06
AG
UP 14% in 77008. Increased 18% in 2019 but protested to a 7% increase at the ARB. I've come to accept that I will have to visit HCAD 1-2 times per year.
"Sports don't build character, they reveal it."
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Flat in 77079.
aggietony2010
AG
Even in 77449.
07fta07
AG
Flat in 77065
the4aces
AG
Up 20%.

Last year did a virtual protest and went from up 15% to up a few %.

Need to fight hard.

Aggie71013
AG
Up 22%. Bought in Dec 18 and protested with our purchase price. Haven't done any substantial renovations besides paint. Here's to another year of protesting.

young eugene
AG
Up 9.6% in 77055. Was up the same amount last year and got it reduced to less than 1%. Very annoying to do this dance every year. Here we go again.
Diggity
AG
Aggie71013 said:

Up 22%. Bought in Dec 18 and protested with our purchase price. Haven't done any substantial renovations besides paint. Here's to another year of protesting.

my old hood
Mr. McGibblets
AG
If anyone needs any assistance with their property values, hit me up. I started my own property tax firm.
Zemira
AG
I was thinking the other day if they cancelled school for the rest of the year in some districts we should get a pro-rated refund from the school district for that part of our property tax.
Diggity
cajunaggie08
AG
I dont have an appraisal yet on my new place, but my old one in 77095 is up 4.3%. The new appraisal is just a hair under what I sold it for so good luck to the new owner in arguing that.
stroodles
AG
Up 5.5% in 77079. The whole increase is in the improvements. Land stayed the same.
OCEN99
AG
Up 2.6% in 77379. All of the increase was on the improvements, land appraisal was unchanged.
Aggie71013
AG
I just had my house reappraised for a refinance. I assume worst case scenario I can use that value to protest?

I'll be working to get it lower because I thought the refinance appraisal was high. Refinance appraisal is still way less than the HCAD number.
rilloaggie
AG
Up 9.6% 77077
TXTransplant
Zemira said:

I was thinking the other day if they cancelled school for the rest of the year in some districts we should get a pro-rated refund from the school district for that part of our property tax.

Teachers are still getting paid. We are supposed to go to online learning next week.

And my district didn't even accept the revised appraisals after Harvey, despite the fact that about 300 houses flooded.
aTm_bomb
AG
I'm in the wrong part of 77096 then.

Max 10% increase.... I'd love to see those comps

Diggity said:

7% drop in 77096.

Of course, my house somehow shrunk this year as well, not that I'm complaining.
Diggity
AG
It appears to be 100% related to the new square footage number. Would have been flat otherwise
Aggiemike96
AG
Down 6.78% in 77056.
tylercsbn9
AG
So I have a new build. My square footage is 2,617. Somehow HCAD listed it at 2945. How do a get these ****ing morons to fix that and then fix my value? Do I have to actually meet with them or can I just do something online? I have the appraisal that was done that shows my sq footage.
Diggity
AG
You should be able to do the iProtest and upload the builder plans. If they deny it, you'll have to go in for a protest.
aTm_bomb
AG
Maybe so, but still a big difference either way.
tylercsbn9
AG
Diggity said:

You should be able to do the iProtest and upload the builder plans. If they deny it, you'll have to go in for a protest.
What exactly are the builder plans? They are still building my floorplan so I can submit that from the website. But like i said I do have my appraisal.
Diggity
AG
It was my understanding that they usually get the property sketch from the builder for the square footage calculations. I would just send whatever supporting evidence you have of the actual size.
Dr. Doctor
AG
damn

10%

77345. Went down like 2% last year from fighting. Guess they are going for their pound of flesh this year.

~egon
aTm2004
AG
+3% in 77345. Asshats.
713_Ag
AG
ChemAg15
AG
Up 10.7% in 77008. Worst part is that the increase is mainly in the land value, which is harder to fight. Land value is up 20% which is ****ing nuts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.