Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2020

40,724 Views | 366 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bigballin
Dr. Venkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still haven't had my formal hearing. Is this normal?
tylercsbn9
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

I still haven't had my formal hearing. Is this normal?

As of last week mine hasn't even been scheduled. I'm doing remote.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I haven't heard about mine either. My informal was in June....

~egon
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

To certify the appraisal roll, at least 90 percent of the countywide total value must not longer be under protest. HCAD said 8.3 percent of the total appraised value is still under protest.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/HCAD-releases-2020-tax-roll-after-majority-of-15556487.php
SnowboardAg
AG
I have my formal next week. Any advice for how to deal with the board? I'm planning to keep it simple - got nowhere with the informal appraiser.
tylercsbn9
AG
Finally got my remote formal. October 8th
Frederick Palowaski
AG

Had formal panel meeting this week. -21%

F*** you, HCAD
MyMamaSaid
AG

Formal Monday afternoon, remote. Armed with data to substantiate a 19% reduction, expecting a 11% result.

Wish me luck!
MyMamaSaid
AG
Wow - caught an appraiser with a seriously bad attitude. I mean noticeably banging the keyboard loud kind of bad attitude. He barely acknowledged my comps and countered my comps with 5 completely different comps on the high end of the neighborhood/grade/etc. End result = 0.2% reduction where I was expecting a ~11% reduction.

I've had all kinds of big success doing this in years past, so am unpleasantly surprised with this outcome.

ugh....
drumboy
AG
That sucks. Did you use Jubally or just found comps on your own?
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
MyMamaSaid
AG
Jubally. Wouldn't have mattered what source, however.
SnowboardAg
AG
ARB was today for me.

They gave me 35K off - I was asking for 55K off.
It's almost like they heard my case, but discounted it altogether and took the market value the appraiser had (which was 35k) off.

While they say they're independent, I didn't feel that they valued my support. Otherwise, they would have split the difference and given me 45k. Very political if you ask me.
htxag09
AG
MyMamaSaid said:

Wow - caught an appraiser with a seriously bad attitude. I mean noticeably banging the keyboard loud kind of bad attitude. He barely acknowledged my comps and countered my comps with 5 completely different comps on the high end of the neighborhood/grade/etc. End result = 0.2% reduction where I was expecting a ~11% reduction.

I've had all kinds of big success doing this in years past, so am unpleasantly surprised with this outcome.

ugh....

I've had one like that before. He looked at my packet, said this is from jubally, they make a living off presenting false information to lower values and discredited it. My jubally presentation was based off hcad appraisal values, their valuation was based off sells, and sells of not really comparable houses, 3 stories, 3 bathrooms, ours is 2 and 2 1/2. I asked "do I not have a right to compare hcad appraisal values instead of recent sells since these houses aren't comparable?" He said I did, but since hcad values weren't finalized yet he couldn't look them up to validate and he didn't trust jubally. So my result was 0% reduction.
Mr07Ag
AG
I think the first year Jubally came out was probably a big issue for them. They really don't like seeing that packet come out. I noticed that one year and subsequently have ordered a Jubally report but takes what I wanted and put into my own excel to show HCAD. Seems to go much smoother.
tylercsbn9
AG
Just had my meeting. They had me at $366K due to my house being 300 sq feet too big. Appraiser guy was a complete moron (the one on the call) and i think the panel felt sorry for me. He said they made a mistake in measuring and took 150 sq feet off but it was still too big. I got visibly annoyed with him on the video call. The appraisaser said 350 which was still 26k higher than my exact floor plan down the street. I got it to what it should be at $325K.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Finally got notice of my meeting; Oct. 28th. So glad they could fit me into their busy schedule...

~egon
Guitarsoup
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

Finally got notice of my meeting; Oct. 28th. So glad they could fit me into their busy schedule...

~egon
Same. Friday Oct 30th.
Bigballin
AG
Was able to get 15% knocked off my value today during my remote informal hearing. I just get exhausted with dealing with the appraisers. It always like I am buying a used car of Telephone Rd.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.